Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
bears: worst record in the nfl, for the first time in franchise history (they had tied for worst before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the bears are going to turn lovie smith's gift into more than the herschel walker trade. a bears dynasty was born in houston

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HootTheOwl posted:

Chris Conte will never be forgiven

maybe if he'd noticed randall cobb casually jogging past him on 4th down

edit i just went and found that highlight and 1) 10 years ago? ugh. 2) it was an awful throw too

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 6, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Timby posted:

Some Bears fans have deluded themselves into thinking the team is going to do a complete 180 in a single offseason when they need a new offensive line, at least one great wide receiver, a new defensive line, a weakside linebacker, a safety and a cornerback, so...

its going to take 2 years

this year: sign the OT and DT that KC is releasing
draft best olineman in top 10. hopefully it's the northwestern guy who can play all 5 positions and move to LT after orlando brown jr retires in a few years
draft 4 good players at top of 2nd
next year: draft 4 players in the top 5 and then another in the top 10 with all the picks they get from trading down 4 times and all those teams stink. probably pick up josh jacobs from vegas as well

so that gives you 5 first round picks who will not bust at all, and 6 high 2nd rounders , lets say only 2 bust. plus 2 free agents at minimum. so that's 11 great players who will all be pro bowlers at minimum. then add in the already solid to good players who will be elevated by talent (fields, mooney, jackson, jaylen johnson) and youre looking at a dynasty

they'll definitely appear in the super bowl but might not be able to beat KC until the year after, but should have at least 5 championships this decade

simple as

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 7, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh no what if Detroit wasn't competitive for a few years after a decade of playoff wins

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well good teams do that. I’m just annoyed because people always spout out, “the cap isn’t real”, when that is only the case for a little bit, then it becomes very very real. People act like you can put that poo poo off in perpetuity.

The saints somehow just gave David Carr a ton of money

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Who have the longest tenured qbs been with the bears besides cutler? Mitchell got 5 years, has anyone else?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Forrest on Fire posted:

Paddy Driscoll, Carl Brumbaugh, Sid Luckman, Ed Brown, Billy Wade

None others after 1970. McMahon played more than 5 years but all partial seasons.

:sob:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

surf rock posted:

Moore's contract also isn't bad at all in this crazy new world of WR contracts:

2023: $19,965,000 guaranteed, $25,040,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $35,700,000)
2024: $1,110,000 guaranteed, $20,925,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $10,860,000)
2025: $0 guaranteed, $20,925,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $4,875,000)

This is what I wanted to see. I'm not super happy with the trade but it's a good contract and I like picking at 9. Just wanted more

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think Carolina has the best coaching staff in the league and their pick will be below the bears next year

Edit: Moore is like 3 years younger than I realized, that cheers me up

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

Velus Jones and DJ Moore are the same age.

Jones wasn't even a good wide receiver in college. It was a bad pick from the start and hopefully just chalking it up to Poles 1st draft jitters or something. He needs a strong draft this year though.

Now I'm happy. I didn't know the age thing on Moore

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yeah just gonna say again how finding out Velus and dj are the same age turned my frown upside down

Lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

One added bonus of the trade is that if Fields doesn't pan out, the Bears will have two good 1st round picks next season to find another QB. It's a nice hedge they will hopefully not have to worry about.

Yeah this helps a lot. There wasn't much WR help in free agency, let alone someone under 30. So without upgrading wr, we continue the what if cycle on fields. Now we should know a lot faster

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gonz posted:

I could see the Bears grabbing someone like Peter Skoronski or Tyree Wilson at 9.

I've been sending my friends skoronski articles for the last hour. Too bad he doesn't have any clips like slater vs chase young that I'm aware of

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

RIP to DJ Moore's career

Justin fields drops back, skoronski protecting him, tons of time, dj moore open deep and wait? What's that on the field? Oh no, Virginia McCaskey has reanimated as a fast zombie and ripped off Justin's head

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

I would not be sad if they traded down again. Someone like Levis might be on the board at #9. There's good options for the Bears, but it seems like you can get similar value at 12 or 16 if you wanted to add some more draft capital down the road. Like is Skoronski that much better than Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones?

His name is Skoronski. He belongs on the bears

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

I think you take Skoronski because like he's a very very good and smart football player, who literally can play any position on the Line.

He might be good enough to overcome his t-rex arms, at Tackle, or he will be a killer guard.

It's one of probably the safest O-line picks in the draft this year as he is thought of as pretty versatile.. But yeah.

Yep. Best case he continues the tradition of stud northwestern left tackles with short arms who are great in the NFL. Worst case he's a much better player than whatever junk we have at the other four positions. Which is also a big deal with all the injuries everywhere and constant shuffling, he could play it all

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MacheteZombie posted:

It's alright the bears will get themselves a top 10 pick

The game against the panthers will he fun because it won't matter who wins for drafting purposes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Edmunds from buffalo going to want roquan money?

Also I don't think Braxton Jones was that awful at left tackle. Probably the second best offensive lineman after Jenkins at RG. So going with mcglinchey over brown would make sense, but so would going for skoronski in the draft and putting him wherever needed

They do need a ton of depth in case of injuries so I'd almost rather them sign like 3 o linemen than one of the top guys

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 12, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
there were so many zorich and salaam jerseys around? did jerseys suddenly get affordable in the 90s and since no one on the team was any good everyone just bought the jersey of high picks?

i don't remember ever seeing a kramer or harbaugh jersey though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
quick research found this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Rodgers is a minute overdue on letting jets and Packers know his plans. As a Midwesterner he should be ashamed of his lack of punctuality

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i didnt think kyler gordon was that bad, lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hell yes. 26 years old, below average run block, above average pass block. works for me we just need depth

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

whoaaaa

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ok so we're drafting OT then

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
roquan got 5/100, 60 guaranteed

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

I don't think the linebackers will matter much as long as the line is trash, but hoping there is some help on the way there.

Can we afford the philly guy at tackle?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

That 49ers line is going to be incredible.

yep. drat, all these moves and nothing at tackle, DT, or edge. c'mon bears you can do it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't know why paying a worse player $18 million is better than paying roquan $20 million but as a bears fan i am obligated to be happy they are addressing the only position where people have historically played well on this garbage team.

Had to get rid of roquan to get #1

Also he had a weird tenure here. Remember his unexplained illnesses and weird pseudo agent?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yates posted:

Seems appropriate. Doesn't understand the game and gets clowned on because of it.

In this analogy the writers gave plot armor to the packers. Which , well, seems accurate

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Draft northwestern and Illinois guys only, it's the key to success

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm tuned in live to the pat McAfee show ..Aaron Rodgers is saying live on air he broke up with Danica Patrick because she was mean to me in high school; thank you Aaron

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
aaron rodgers: the packers are being bitches requesting more compensation from the jets. this is all the packers fault and i'm excited to play for the jets when the packers stop whining about wanting more compensation

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I agree with Aaron. The packers should get nothing in return for losing a team cancer like him. In fact they should have to give the jets some draft picks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it would be insane to pass on Carter at 9, even though i want an all offense all the time philosophy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

I think so too but having Eddie Goldman flashbacks.

Is the Northwestern tackle supposed to be the top tackle? I thought Paris Johnson was higher on some boards and has more upside.

It's upside vs technical ability. I'd take the guy with short arms and great feet and balance every day. Plus, with how mediocre the line is and so many injuries all the time, the guy who can play anywhere is more helpful long term during a rebuild

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

I had totally forgotten about the Jimmy Graham experience. Pace was such a weird GM.

how dare you

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1348437898035658752

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Packers had a miserable dejected season with Rodgers to finish 8-9

They could have a fun lighthearted optimistic season building towards the future without Rodgers finishing 7-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mercenarynuker posted:

You're right, Rogers is absolutely in the mold of a Batman villain. He should definitely get punched or bataranged

Aaron Rodgers is absolutely egghead explaining he can't pay for his eggs, he's a higher class of criminal