Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
looking forward to the lions this year.

I'll revisit this next year and reflect on my fandom choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sataere posted:

The problem is I want a top defensive lineman from this class too! :v:

As far as tackles go. Its a deep draft where you have Carter at the top and then a bunch of good DT that could go anywhere in the top 100. So you should be able to get a good one.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lamar on the lions with ben and dan running the offense would be so much fun. A treat for football fans around the world.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Risdon at Lions wire had a draft I'd like.

First five lions picks

Christian Gonzalez - CB
Keion White - DL
Trenton Simpson - LB
Hendon Hooker - QB
Zach Charbonnet - RB

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm picturing lamar going to deep to Hollywood brown and him dropping it.

Then picturing it to Jamo or Chark... and them also dropping it.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

Only so much might be all they need, but I know what you're saying. If they decide they want to go the route of KC, Cin, Buffalo etc I get it. Its just.they could also go the route of San Fran and other teams from the past that competed for a Superbowl with a strong defense and a competent offense.

If they go the way you're saying I just don't think Lamar is that guy. I'm definitely biased against running QBs though.

I don't think they'd go after Lamar and I don't think they do Goff like that. With the signings of Geno, Carr and Jones though you get an idea of what Goff is going to cost.

He could probably ask for 40-42.5 per year and get about 100-120 million guaranteed.

So I'm curious what Lamar ultimately signs for. Maybe he just plays the one year so Burrow and Herbert can reset the whole thing again.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Its gonna be a fun division next year and everyone should like their teams. Except Packer fans if they don't get rid of Aaron, but that's fine.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It all depends on what Williams gets on the open market. Lions will have him back at the right price.

And they're not getting Henry. No way.

This draft is loaded with RB. They'll go that route.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good for the bears. I thought maybe the colts would have been the best option as the bears could still have one of the best defensive players and I think the Colts will be total poo poo next year no matter what.

I think the Panthers will be decent next year so next year's picks are not as good as the colts. Plus the colts would do something funny with the first overall.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If Anderson and Carter are off the board before 6 I could really see the Lions taking Skoronski. I wouldn't rule it out. They are okay on edge. I have a feeling the best corners on their board might be there at 18.

Lions can't count on Vaitai, injuries happen, they often play six line men, and it looks like Skoronski can play anywhere on the line.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

how the gently caress are the panthers going to be decent next year lol.

Like I'm not deeply entrenched in their roster, but uh, they lost their best reciever, and will be starting a rookie QB, with no running game.

I think their running game will be fine. Defense is good. New coaching staff. They could do alright.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

I think the last time the Lions swung on a FA corner was Justin Coleman, who had like 1.5 good games and then turned into the worst DB in the league

They gave him the biggest contract for a slot corner to date. Quinntricia was so terrible.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Evan Brown would be a good pickup for center

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad cominsky's back. Hutch and Houston eat, but he sets the table.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Its the perfect time for Aaron to take his act to the AFC.

https://twitter.com/JayLGK/status/1635717225461202944?s=20

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they go edge. I think they like what they have there.

I would not be surprised they do another OL and I don't think the signings preclude drafting another corner.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Impressed with Holmes so far in free agency. This is the first time he actually had some cap and the team is ready to compete. He made some astute signings that should be value, or at least not a negative.

As much as I love Jamaal, Montgomery is a better back and I'm excited to see what season he can put up with this offense line. I also like that they signed two corners. They were pretty much telegraphed to take a corner in the first by everyone, and they may still do that, but the don't have to.

The draft should be fun. Apart from a DT they can pretty much draft whoever they like and want regardless of position. They can still take a corner, they can go after an RB since they're not keeping Swift. LB, OL, TE, QB. Really anything at this point.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hard to say. A lot of teams were reported on Jamaal.

It could be that Montgomery just got what the Lions offered Jamaal.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe the jets are so thirsty for this

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

We all know Poles is going to take that O line from NW at 9 and the 3 tech from NW at 53 when he falls.

Lions spoke to both as well and were at the pro day.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Montgomery got 11 million guaranteed. Jamaal got 8 million guaranteed. I'd say Montgomery is worth that over Jamaal.

Nobody knows what he wanted or was offered from the Lions.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This was Jamaal's last chance at the bag and nobody can fault him for going for it. I think if this contract was his number the Lions would have signed him.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice. They didn't tender Kraemer who hurt his back and missed all year. Really needed a guard since counting on Vaitai is risky.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EPM3ftVS1w

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All I know is the Lions are going to shock the world and win the division.*

*lots of people picking them to win it, but they will still be surprised when they do

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

The best thing about the Rodgers bullshit is eventually he's also going to get pissed at the Jets for not being willing to give up what he feels he's worth.

New York fans only want him because they think he can bring them a championship. If he is floundering the media and fanbase will make him miserable. He'll just retire and go away.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Same

I'm also wondering what Holmes is doing with backup QB. He said he needs to do better here. Cooper Rush signed a good deal with Dallas and would have been nice.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think they should do both.

If you draft Hooker he really isn't your backup the first part of the season (with his injury)

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
OL at 6. DT with 18.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is there cap space for Lamar assuming we threw a ton of draft picks their way

Not this year, but get rid of Goff and restructure some dudes and yes.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Agents still mess up because they can't predict what teams are going to do.

Jesse Bates got 60 million. Gardner-Johnson took a one year deal. I guarantee neither he nor his agent thought that would happen.

As for Jamaal. He was coming off a career year, that he won't replicate, he's 28 and this is his last chance to get paid. He became a known entity to fans via Hard Knocks, interviews that went viral, and did a full circuit of media around Super Bowl/Pro Bowl. His agent was doing work to help him secure the bag.

It was reported Lions and Williams were not close. Looking at the Cominsky contract and what he said. Brad seems to approach these with a number for the player to fit with the team, and if they don't want to take it he tells them to go to market and get a better number, but moves on if they remain non-committal. I don't know the numbers that either Brad or Jamaal wanted, but I did hear rumors that Brad was near Montgomery's contract and Jamaal's agent was looking for closer to 8. (strictly rumor and no idea if either side changed their number).

To go back to Cominsky. He said after a day or so of free agency that there was interest, but nobody blew the doors off and he wanted to be in Detroit so he took the deal.

I don't think Holmes is ice cold in these deals, but he's not going to let anything influence what he wants to pay. He overpaid for Anzalone (imo), but it was a number they felt good about and recognized his value as a leader and locker room presence. I'm pretty sure he viewed Jamaal the same way. When he was told no he looked at other RB and signed Montgomery. End of story.

When players and teams talk about business this is that. At the end he had to take the best offer left and there might have been some panic, because Zeke had got cut, and maybe teams interested in Jamaal want to explore that etc. And he was hurt because he wanted to be with the Lions and it didn't happen.

Danny LaFever fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 22, 2023

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked this

And as far as that expensive truck, Davis wouldn’t have any use for it anyway. He has home detention as he awaits sentencing in federal court. He’s been sentenced to 32 years in prison in state court already.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the Lions will take an RB too, and it will be the Swift replacement.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Chris Board replacement

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so the Lions "tore up" vaitai's contract, redid it, and have another 7 million in cap.

I wonder what other villainous plans Brad is working.

Its also interesting that Harris and Vaitai were willing to tear up and redo their contracts rather than simply being cut. Glad they stuck around.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah in the case of those three with the injuries most teams would have cut them.

Instead they get some money up front and know they're part of the team this year and can hopefully rebuild their value.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're taking a QB we just have to see when.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well he tore his acl so probably not the end of the world to redshirt him for a season.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope he has no guaranteed money and just gets cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I still can't figure out how Fields fell that far. He was #2 for like over a year behind Lawrence. Then a few weeks before the draft he plummets. He had a great combine, great season, and looked terrific in the CFP. It made absolutely no sense why Zach Wilson or Trey Lance jumped him.

Idiots started questioning his ability to compete despite the Clemson game. I do think a lot of it came down to racism tbh.