Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1631661834473283587

King poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
For what it's worth, I'm probably more high on the Vikings than most.

If the Vikings can put together a remotely representative defense they'd be fine.

Like Kirk eats poo poo a bunch, but man, you can't give up 31 points to the Giants like that lol.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

My big reservation re: the Vikings is do you think Jefferson can produce yet another 1800 yard, 8 TD season? If he can't, that offense regresses. Losing even a few points per game puts the Vikings at like 8-9 this year instead of 13-4.

I mean, yes. He is one of the 3 best receivers in the league.

Also that's the thing, it's not like that Offense can stop other teams from running it up on that dire defense.

If you are a team that has to win via shootout, you are going to be a high variance team, unless you have like "That Guy™" at QB. Kirk isn't "That Guy™", but he's a more than capable and talented QB, if a bit boring.

The Offense has to score less points, and can suffer a downturn if the Defense goes from like only better than the Bears, Lions and Cardinals defense, to like middle of the pack. With even a remotely sane scheme.

Vikings had like a top 10 production offense. I'm assuming they can stay in that top 10. As much as people like to poo poo on Kirk(It's me I'm people) he and that offense not really the problem with that team.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SirPablo posted:

:siren: I like podcasts. If you have any to recommend for your NFCN team, let me know and I can add them to the OP.

As far as Bears Podcasts go, the best one is Hoge and Jahns, kinda by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-QYbMBv9xM

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CHGO I follow, but you kinda have to be a specific type of person. Daily hour long podcasts about mostly nothing are just too loving much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1632081097369460737

king

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Poles is out here doing interviews with Peter King talking about how he has offers on the table for No. 1 that include a 2024 and 2025 first. Not sure I remember a GM ever publicly negotiating like this. Sure hope it works!

Yeah I generally have a feeling there is a team people aren't talking about wanting to move up to one in from that 11+ range.

Like it wouldn't shock me if lets say like Washington or Tampa or NOLA, decide to jump in.

Or a real wildcard a team like Baltimore, if they decide to stupidly let Lamar Jackson go.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Saints are out, they signed Carr.

oh lmao that just happened huh., then when Rodgers stays with the Packers J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/1632791930168827908

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Braxton Jones is pretty simple.

He is good at moving his feet and like the technical parts of blocking.

Dude just desperately needs to put on strength and weight so he can't get bull rushed. It's like his only glaring flaw.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Do what my dad does, hyper fixate on one player, when the Bears don't draft that player say they are loving up again. And if they do draft that player, lament about how the Bears are gonna gently caress him up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

May I recommend JSN

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sataere posted:

More and more, I just want the Bears to figure out a way to draft him. Even though I know there is zero chance of it happening.

I mean if they trade back with the Panthers or like Washington or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rodgers is 4(5) years older?

Costs more and will be around less time.

Probably gonna be a touch less than Stafford got.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also the Jets know the Packers desperately want to get rid of him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Lol at Bears fans thinking they are going to get 10 first round picks when there’s like possibly 4 qbs in the top 10, but that Rodgers won’t get one first round pick.

Huh? Bears fans think we might get 2, depending on how far back they are willing to trade.

But yeah, turns out trading for someone's contract who is that age, and showed a decline last year is going to be less than someone like Stafford who was like 5 years younger, and the Lions had to take back a large contract.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

Some Bears fans have deluded themselves into thinking the team is going to do a complete 180 in a single offseason when they need a new offensive line, at least one great wide receiver, a new defensive line, a weakside linebacker, a safety and a cornerback, so...

It's less delusion, and more the general understanding of the power that one player can have on an offense or defense.

They don't need a Safety or Corner either.

Their DBs were generally fine.

It's just after trading Quinn their defensive line had nothing

https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/1627705650649128960

The power of one good to elite defensive lineman/tackle can completely change how good a defensive line is.

If the Bears can pick up a good edge and a good 3tech, it moves the other players like gipson back into a role where they aren't getting focused on.

https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/1628009556558184448

My general theory of NFL is one good to elite player can completely change the fortunes of everyone around them especially on the defensive line. As it makes the other parts compensate and weaken elsewhere.

See: Mark Anderson when playing with Tommie Harris before Tommie's legs fell off.

I don't *think* the Bears make the playoffs next year unless Poles has like an all timer off-season which I doubt, but I think they should be competitive™ and In the Hunt™

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

the nfl salary cap is fake, or like it exists, but is set up in a way where if you really really wanted to and had the liquid capital as an owner, you can kick the can for almost a decade before you need to worry about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm with you; I get really tired of people saying "the cap is fake" when we see teams having to deal with the results of kicking the can down the road: They wind up in hell for a year or two. Like, no matter what happens with Rodgers, the Packers are going to be in serious pain for a while.

I mean, poo poo, that's why Ryan Poles had to tear down the Bears all the way to the studs: They were buried in awful contracts and needed to shed salary to get some spending room.

It's just unfortunate that their spending room and their #1 overall pick happened to coincide with a dogshit wide receiver market in free agency, and massive holes on the offensive and defensive lines, weakside linebacker, secondary and if they don't re-sign Montgomery, running back.

The Bears didn't have to do that, they chose to. Which is of course always a valid choice probably the best choice. But they could have made moves and done things in a way that didn't have them tear everything down to the studs. That was a decision they made because they thought it was the best way forward.

There is a reason the Bears have so much money they HAVE to spend this year, because they didn't spend poo poo last year as a choice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

They can carry over money to next year. It's not like the corporate world, where if you have a budget of $2 million but you only spend $1 million, then you only get $1 million the following year.

Deciding you have to spend money means you'll inevitably work yourself into a bad deal. And the free agents at the positions the Bears need are ... less than optimal.

No you are wrong. The Bears legitimately have to spend money per the rules of the CBA.

The CBA has a rule where over a certain span of time you have to spend 90% of salary cap over that span. The Bears are not close and are hitting that time span this year.

The Bears essentially this offseason have to add about ~145million of 2023 cash, to their books. Via FA/Extensions/Draft picks to get to the 240 or so they need to spend as they have around 94 million on their roster now.

They have to spend money this year because they declined to spend like any last year.

You can roll over cap space, and the Bears probably will roll over some, but yeah, they HAVE to spend money this offseason.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 8, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Bears aren't better off for keeping them, maybe Roquan, but I wouldn't pay a premium price for Roquan, who deserves it of course, for a player that doesn't fit particularly well in a 4-3 vs what he can do in a 3-4.

I get that trade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, here it is I found it.

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/12/section/9

quote:

For the four-League Year period covering the 2017–2020 League Years, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such period.
(b)

For each of the following multi-League-Year periods 2021–2023 (three League Years), 2024–2026 (three League Years), and 2027–2030 (four League Years), there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 90% of the Salary Caps for such periods.
(c)

Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2020, 2023, 2026, or 2030 League Years) shall be paid, on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on such a Team’s roster at any time during the applicable seasons, pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.
(d)

Nothing contained herein shall preclude a Team from having Cash Spending in excess of the Minimum Team Cash Spending, provided that the Team complies with the accounting rules of the Salary Cap set forth in Article 13.
(e)

If the NFL agrees, or a final judgment or award is entered by the System Arbitrator, that a Team has failed by the end of an applicable League Year to make the payments required to satisfy a Team’s obligations to pay the Minimum Team Cash Spending required by this Agreement, then, in the event the Team fails promptly to comply with such agreement, judgment or award, the NFL shall make such payment on behalf of that Team (such funds to be paid as salary directly to the players on such Team at the direction of and pursuant to the reasonable allocations of the NFLPA).

Yeah Bears have to make it rain this offseason lol.

The Bears did not HAVE to tear the team down, it may turn out to be the best course of action. But they were not anywhere near a terrible spot financially.

Also, yeah the Salary cap is mostly bullshit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

Great. So the Bears have to spend money when the free agent market is dogshit and they need starters on both sides of the line, wide receiver, weakside linebacker, secondary and possibly running back.

Lovely.

This is actually a pretty good free agency for Defensive lineman,

Hargrave is available, Dre'mont Jones, Marcus Davenport, Clowney, Omenihu, Clark

There's no like back the brinks truck up to Julius peppers house at 12:01, but there are a number of plus defensive lineman available.

As well as some talented Linebackers, David Long, Okereke, TJ Edwards, Tremaine Edmunds from the Bills.

There are also a bunch of solid options at specifically the positions on the offensive line that the Bears need.

The Bears mostly just need to sign players to get to a basic baseline level of competence on the defensive and offensive front. the elite players are going to come through the draft, or maybe trading capital they get for the first pick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

a ton?

Maybe not historically for the Bears, but uh, plenty of early top 100 picks end up starting and having a massive impact right away.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah it's why I said, if the owners have the liquid cash, they can just convert poo poo into bonuses, and the cap doesn't mean poo poo, as you can constantly do that type of fuckery.

Dexo posted:

the nfl salary cap is fake, or like it exists, but is set up in a way where if you really really wanted to and had the liquid capital as an owner, you can kick the can for almost a decade before you need to worry about it.

if your owner can, and is willing to convert stuff into bonuses and pay out cash instantly, it's loving trivial to create space and make space. Now, Most owners aren't and then have trained fans to think they are simply forced to not pay someone by the cap situation. Despite them always finding and restructuring if they see something they have to have.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You literally get all this draft capital and manage the cap specifically for situations where you can use it to bring in elite players.

It is rare a young MVP caliber QB is ever available rarer for 2 first round picks only.

It would be malpractice to not toss it around internally and consider it if you have the resources.

Maybe it doesn't work for the Lions, maybe they fear his injury history. But yeah man you do what it takes to get a QB

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like look at that dude's Record.

And then look at his offensive line and players around him.

He's had some solid defenses of course.

But the Ravens org and Decosta have been coasting on Ozzie's success since he took a paper title role.

Maybe he doesn't have to die out there if he has some weapons and a line to make things easy most of the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vikings aren't a dumpster fire, they are just like specifically engineered to be good enough to disappoint in the playoffs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He's a running QB in the sense that he is good at running I guess but uhh

Dude can legit loving sling the rock.

His team has just been bad at putting talent around him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1633808745737203712

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbf, Rodgers powered by spite might give him one more spectacular year before flaming out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1633872206185758726

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1634319612044083200

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1634320435838894081

LETS loving GOOOOOOOO

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

I thought they were gonna get firsts from like 3 different teams.

The Multiple Trade down stuff was always like narnia poo poo.

My guess is they valued getting DJ Moore. Which is why they didn't get the 2025 first, and it dropped to a second.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/dabearsblog/status/1634322700112998401

lmao Poles really wasn't lying lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisker and Gill have a future, Gordon isn't The Worst.
I can't name the others

Velus Jones showed some things when he was forced to be a reciever after everyone was hurt. Needs to work on that whole catching thing tho lol. Braxton Jones showed he has the skill to be a pretty decent left tackle, Homie just needs to live in the weight room.

Shout out to Lovie Smith, you a real one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gordon is weird, I don't write off rookie DB's playing behind literally the worst pass rush in the league over the past like 6 years.

Mostly, I don't make a habit of writing off rookies. Especially Rookies on dire team without getting help from anyone else around them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1634329014784647168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Receiving group is pretty good right now and I just don't see how he sees the field without some injuries. Right now he's #5 on the depth chart and that's before they make any moves in the offseason. If he could play special teams I can see him being active, but he can't catch punts.

That's fine, him at 5, you need 5-6 receivers.

Dude is fast as poo poo. He'd be useful for that take the top off the defense role.

His bigger thing is learning how to catch a punt lol.