Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Go The Minnesota Quantum Superpositional Vikings! The only thing you can know for sure, is that Chaos comes from the North, and the Vikings are its emissary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Also, incidentally, go the NFC North in general, the only division in football to have all four franchises ranked in the top half by the NFLPA regarding their treatment of their players, as well as the holder of #1 overall and two top-10 ratings.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

City is just tradition really. Minnesota teams are an outlier because of the Twin Cities.

Yeah, back when most major sports leagues were founded, they were dealing with way more than one team per state -- depending on when you asked, New York would have had an entire division worth of specific neighborhoods.

Interestingly, teams nowadays go in both directions for their renamings -- starting as states and going to cities (Florida Marlins -> Miami Marlins), the inverse (Phoenix Coyotes -> Arizona Coyotes / Phoenix Cardinals -> Arizona Cardinals), and of course, changing their name incessantly in poorly-considered attempts to leech off a larger market that's already got a flagship (Your California Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim).

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

All these moves have made me concerned for the situation of the Vikings.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1634984765207248897

Y'know what fine screw you Jalen, we're just gonna get Slay anyway! :mad:

The impression I get is that Ramsey wanted to go to the Dolphins anyway, which probably made him inclined to accept their deal posthaste and possibly at a more favorable deal than otherwise.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kindly requesting the Vikings do things that aren't losing people to other teams. I mean, I'm sure they're going to, but like, we could use a little something to kick it off.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/offseason-chaos-predictions/

Shoutout to Febreze for correctly identifying the entire NFC North as the only division to be fully committed to Chaos. All four teams will engage in maximum chaos in the upcoming season by this prediction, and I for one could not be happier or prouder.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

MJeff posted:

Practice to be replaced by all-roster production of Guys & Dolls.

Cousins would be a dynamite General, though.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Jon ended the episode by saying the Vikings inevitable Superbowl win will be "the most necessary and cathartic Superbowl victory of all time." As a fan of the team that sits at the opposite end of that victory chart, that has one single playoff win in the entire Superbowl era, one of the oldest and cruddiest teams in the entire sport, that has been a joke for longer than my father has been alive... well jon let's just agree to disagree

I think he's right, frankly, though I think you're also right. The Vikings and the Lions have two of the most excruciating catalogs of suffering in football, one painted black, the other painted white. The Lions are when you never seem to even get close; the Vikings are when you get close more often than anyone else and never actually make it.

Somehow it's very fitting that they're both in the same division.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Apropos of nothing, I was just proud of this turn of phrase that came up in the Goon Baseball Discord while we were bemoaning the state of Soldier Field and how it's a total waste of its position in the Museum Campus.

Redeye Flight — Today at 2:30 PM posted:

You can literally walk out after a Bears day game and go see things that evolved more than the Bears' offensive playcalling in the Field Museum's dioramas

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Vikings' biggest enemy this year is definitely their strength of schedule, not that last year was a cakewalk either.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

How is it WEEK THREE and this org is melting down so badly? This is legendary already.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Daaaaaaaaaa

Bears

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly I think teams need to look at the Brad Holmes GMing tree just as much as the Campbell coaching tree. I've been very impressed with the honesty and thoroughness that the Lions have dedicated to building the team up through the lines and how extremely well it's paying off for them.

They're not gambling everything on taking a QB to ruin, they're building a team from the bottom up and it produced a WRECKING BALL.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I have heard the incredible news that victory has been brought to Chicago, at the hands of daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bears.

Congratulations to the Bears fans, by all means soak this one in.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

This is the story of his career though. He's not a good quarterback.

Someone in another thread coined it the best way I can possibly imagine -- Baker Mayfield is the most vibes-based quarterback I think we've seen in a long time. If he's on a team where the attitude and atmosphere is energized and ready to go, even if that team is bad, then he plays well. If the energy is dead or rotten, he can't do poo poo. This becomes most of a problem when Mayfield has to play against teams with stronger vibes than his has, which the Lions are basically by default.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

The O-Line Committee had some fun with the Bears last game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfGvj4xRr5Y

Bears fans, you gotta see this poo poo. If only to absolutely confirm how much Cody Whitehair is a millstone around the neck of your team.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

I feel like this win is nice any other year but this one.

Eh. Cheering for losses is so depressing. There's taking heart in a loss because it showed potential or promise or fight, and then there's cheering to lose because you want a lottery ticket.

Count me out. What you've seen here is the Minnesota Vikings reasserting that they are the Minnesota Vikings, and they will NOT be topped as the absolute weirdest team in the NFL. Nothing about them can be explained. All we know is that they'll be pretty good, maybe never the best, but always -- ALWAYS -- memorable.

3-4 with the schedule the Vikings have for the rest of the year is still full of possibility. People will say that 0-3 starts almost never lead to success. And they may be right, but I say that the Minnesota Vikings have never seen an "almost never", good or bad, that they didn't want to be the exception to.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 24, 2023

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, I feel weird. I think I'm... excited about the Vikings again.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I hope the Vikings never tank because A. Tanking is universally miserable to watch and destroys an organization from a motivation standpoint, B. I'd rather gamble on making a fluke playoff run than the bigger gamble of a draft pick, and C. More importantly, the rest of the team is REALLY solid right now. In particular we have a really good O-line, which can seriously elevate even a mediocre quarterback, along with excellent passing weapons and a defense that appears to be doing its job.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

That's right, it's Nelson Agholor.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

That's basically what every other source I've been hearing has said, as well. By the sound of things, the locker room loves Cousins, which would certainly be worth bringing him back. Even if you think you've got your new prospect of the future, Cousins would be a heck of a veteran to learn behind.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

gently caress that. This isn't the NBA. Go ahead and point at a team that has tanked on purpose then turned it around. It doesn't happen in the NFL. These guys are coaching and playing for their jobs every week. I want the two games against the Lions to matter at the end of the year and Lions fans probably do too.

You could argue the Texans are on the way, but look at how long the Texans sucked rancid rear end in that process. It's been at least since 2016! If you want to spend eight years watching your team get curbstomped nonstop with no hope then you can go for that. I'd rather watch the Vikings continue to be the one thing they know -- weird as hell.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

without looking it up or seeing a single minute of Panthers football this season: no

It genuinely could be. If the Bears can beat the Broncos they can absolutely beat the smoldering crater that is this year's Panthers.

Like, the Bears are dysfunctional in a lot of ways, but the Panthers are REALLY goin' all out on beating them based on everything I've picked up. Bryce Young is getting the Premier Derek Carr Experience over there because Reich completely changed up the scheme when he arrived and none of the units are on the same page with each other or with the design that they were drafting and trading pieces for.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

The bears lost to the broncos.

Oh right. They beat the... right, the Commanders and the Josh McDaniels Experience.

I'm not going to count the Raiders game as an example for anything due to McDaniels contaminating the data, but like, y'all DID beat the Commanders and I assure you the Commanders are a more competent team than the Panthers this year. I'd call it entirely plausible the Bears win that one.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

The Vikings are Vikingsing

The universe demands that all Vikings games end within one score

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Not going to lie, while I AM drawn to the Vikings because they're WEIRD...

It's a lot more fun when they win and are fun, while being weird.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Punter thread locked by the admins after starting one of the most vicious and personal flamewars in the history of SA

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

SirPablo posted:

So Vikings and Lions have a pretty similar schedule remaining, but swapping Bengals and Cowboys.

Dubbs is winning the division.

Even though I root for a divisional rival, I'm not gonna lie.

Lions, you are currently in the front-running for America's favorite team. This title has been held by bloated, decadent, complacent antiques for years now. If you want it, you're going to have to take it. And everything else aside, we want you to take it.

You must beat the Cowboys. You must crush them. This is your destiny.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

While true, it IS also a third round pick in the hands of the Packers. So is it even real?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

The article itself says like half a dozen times "it would be incredibly shocking and out of character for Green Bay to do this".

The team is undergoing a total rebuild, the oldest player on the team not named Bakhtiari is like 29 years old (I forget which of Campbell or Preston are older) and the average age is something like 25.5 years. Signing Cousins doesn't make any sense.

That sure hasn't stopped every single person in the world from talking about how Aaron Rodgers is clearly going to the Vikings next!

The important thing about this concept is that it's extremely funny.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Aidan Hutchinson announced as new Lions emergency kicker

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Okay, Vikings. The rest of the division has really set the bar this week for a Chaos Bowl.

We gotta show out tonight.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Hey they were in the Superbowl... Ah gently caress 17 years ago now

Has it really been so long, since we heard the Sex Cannon ring out across America?

...poo poo, less glibly, has it really been that long since Prince's Super Bowl concert? I still miss him.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I had a feeling about this one all week, honestly. I think it's because Febreze tried to predict a close Vikings game.

Also frankly we were being punished for punting on a 4th and 1.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

It's not a huge surprise that the five game win streak came to an end. They have Chicago and then the bye so I would expect the offense would be a better mix with Dobbs skills then. He'll have more confidence and have JJ available too.

It was nice seeing the run game be better early on. It's funny how the best Vikings RB is anyone not named Mattison. He was better than Cook last year but this year he's been awful.

The super-late bye for the Vikings is kind of brutal this year, we've had so many injuries. God only knows what this team is gonna look like after it.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

PowderKeg posted:

2016 Vikings 13 Lions 16
2017 Vikings 30 Lions 23
2018 Bears 23 Lions 16
2019 Bears 24 Lions 20
2020 Texans 41 Lions 25
2021 Bears 16 Lions 14
2022 Bills 28 Lions 25

Good gravy, has it been that long since a Thanksgiving win?

Yes, though not all of those were cause for despair. The massacre at the hands of the Texans was the final straw that got Matt Patricia fired!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't know if I posted it but:
Ryan Pace and Jay Cutler were both with the bears at the same time

It's still a crime that the Bears COULD have had Sexy Rexy Grossman and Big Dick Nick Foles on the roster at the same time, and didn't.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

xbilkis posted:

I am cursed with a brain that indexes the dumbest poo poo Matt Eberflus says and does

The expedition breaks into a vault under the Field Museum. Strapped to a chair on the far side is a man with a caterpillar mustache and a Rex Grossman jersey. His brain is wired up to machines that give him encyclopedic knowledge of every Bears coach and GM that has ever existed. All their choices, all their tactics, every trade and every draft pick, he knows forever. He knows what could have been, and why it is not.

His head turns towards them as some of the expedition members quail and turn away. The leader raises a gun, taking aim. Tears stream down from behind the sunglasses on the man's face, and one thing escapes his croaking lips.

"Daaaaa... Bears."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Vikings are so very much a team that needs its bye week. Just a moment to catch their drat breath. Everything should not be this hard.