Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

tinstaach posted:

gently caress Matt Patricia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

:siren: I like podcasts. If you have any to recommend for your NFCN team, let me know and I can add them to the OP.

I really like the Athletic's Lions podcast, One of these Years with Nick Baumgardner and Colton Pouncy. Behind that, Dungeon of Doom from MLive reporters Kyle Meinke and Ben Raven is pretty good, very media focused, and they often get pretty interesting guests. I do also listen to the SB Nation Pride of Detroit PODcast pretty frequently - I disagree with them a bit more, but they put out a lot of content and are pretty responsive to various events.

e: lol beaten

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The thing is, Jackson clearly wants a Watson-esque fully guaranteed megadeal. He's a great player, but even the best GM is going to struggle to maintain a competitive roster with that much money going towards one player.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Oh no what if Detroit wasn't competitive for a few years after a decade of playoff wins

For the record, Jackson has one playoff win in his five year career. Actually looking into it he's got a pretty lovely record in the playoffs - 55.9% accuracy, 3-5 TD-INT ratio, 68.3 passer rating. His rushing stats are obviously better, but even then he's only got a single rushing TD.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Ravens offense the last few years has rivaled the Bears for lack of talent and general dysfunction, in addition to everyone always being injured all the time.

This kinda proves the point though - Jackson, while good, isn't the kind of player that can singlehandedly drag a team through the playoffs. And while the Ravens struggled with talent and depth, a huge contract like the one he's looking for will inherently reduce the amount of talent and depth that a team can sign around him. In the case of the Lions specifically it would likely mean being unable to resign key players like Amon-Ra and Penei when their contracts come up in a few years, so realistically the dream of having Jackson with a fully functional offense would at best only be realized for a season or two.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

tinstaach posted:

https://twitter.com/colton_pouncy/status/1634209641004400643

A third and a fifth should do it, if his team is run by assholes and morons

It doesn't quite fit with how the Lions are building the team, but drat I'd love to see him come back.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

This could be good. I thought he was good when he was with the Lions. No idea how he did with the Broncos.

I think he was injured for most of it. I liked him though and he got done dirty by the previous regime, so it's nice to see him back.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Danny LaFever posted:

Same

I'm also wondering what Holmes is doing with backup QB. He said he needs to do better here. Cooper Rush signed a good deal with Dallas and would have been nice.

Might point towards Holmes wanting to draft a QB on day 2 or 3.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Lions are doing an excellent job of building up to our next big heartbreak, I'm excited to see where this goes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Kirk is getting older, so I can understand the Vikings not wanting to guarantee his 2025 salary when the dude will be 37. But at the same time, it does seem like a significant gamble for the Vikes to roll into 2023 without their QB for 2024 on the roster, unless they're prepared to pay a king's ransom to get a top draft pick this year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Just home run after home run from Brad Holmes, god drat

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1644674548317528064?t=rW--90EMYFtR9WLYgpP3JA&s=19

Assuming he does end up singing with the Lions, this would be another great move by Holmes. Backup QB is quietly one of the biggest need positions at this point, and Bridgewater is by far the best one on the market.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The end of Jeff Okudah's run in Detroit is disappointing, but not surprising. Put into any other situation and Okudah may have flourished, but the challenges of COVID, being forced into the #1 right off the bat, Patricia's dogshit coaching, and losing a year to an Achilles tear just demolished any chance he had of developing to his potential. What a goddamn waste.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Danny LaFever posted:

But I also think Holmes is going to do some crazy trade, so I have no idea whats going to happen. Its going to be a lot of fun watching the draft.

Holmes is definitely gonna do something wacky on draft day and I'm excited to find out what it is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mercenarynuker posted:

Hahaha, yeah! gently caress Eastern!

:saddowns:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The worst part of the country to drive through is the Texas panhandle.

Trust me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

Basically anywhere in here loving sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zS94qn6Ok

To be fair, that depends on your definition of "sucks". Based on that thumbnail, you've got Big Bend National Park, Wind Cave, Badlands, TR, Devil's Tower NM...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Q_res posted:

The Lions have gone out of their way to ensure they can basically go BPA with every pick in the draft this year. I'm actually more convinced we're going to see them trading down for additional picks than up for a big get.

On the other hand, Brad Holmes is the kind of GM that isn't going to simply sit and wait for a guy to fall to him - if he sees a special talent is available and the cost is reasonable, he will pull the trigger (see: Jamo last year). Wherever else happens, I am certain he Lions are going to trade up at least once.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Danny LaFever posted:

Okay that's better.

Yeah, it's frustrating, but it obviously could be worse. The whole situation is a disappointing shitshow, but not a crippling one at least.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Cephus was a pretty decent backup WR, but he was also injured a lot and wasn't a guarantee to even be on the roster at the start of the season

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fennesz posted:

90 snaps and 2 touches in the first 23 games of an NFL career means that a guy is going to have a harder go of it. Pretending that is irrelevant and he's still going to face no barriers to success in the future is...dumb. No sense in talking to people that refuse to acknowledge reality. But that's Lions fans! :banjo:

e: clarity

One of the... several problems with this argument is that it ignores the context of how the Lions brought Jamo back. They were very deliberately bringing him back slowly to recover from his injury, and when he hit the field he displayed all the talent and speed that they drafted him for. It was pretty clear (in my eyes at least) that the reason he didn't have more touches was because Goff wasn't really comfortable throwing to him yet, as the dude is just so fast that every ball Goff threw ended up behind him. A full offseason (which Jamo will have) will help him and Goff get on the same page, and they should be able to hit the ground running once he's back from the suspension. There's certainly nothing in my mind that makes me worried that Jamo is gonna flame out, or the the Lions wasted the pick.

e: also he would have had an extra TD if this one wasn't called back for holding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU2WdVqGZok

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Now that the day is finally here, I feel weirdly conflicted about Rodgers leaving the Packers. I didn't start really getting into football until I was in high school (2007-2011), so Rodgers and the Packers wede always been the boogeyman of my football fandom. Even when the Lions looked like they might be improving and have a chance to make the playoffs or win the division, the Packers were always there to crush our spirits, usually in the last game of the season at Lambeau. In recent years things became more even - the Lions broke the streak of losses in Green Bay, we swept them for the first time since '91 in 2017, and the past decade the teams have a .500 record against each other - but every game still made me nervous, as you just knew that Rodgers was still capable of ripping off a touchdown from any point on the field. The image of that goddamn hail mary is still carved into my brain and will probably be there until I die.

So Rodgers going is a pretty great thing and obviously something to be celebrated. The division is wide open now, and the Lions are in a great place to compete for it (assuming everything doesn't explode, as it often does). Jordan Love might be decent or even a good QB, but he's not going to be Rodgers, and he's not going to lead the Packers to another two decades of near-constant dominance (probably). But at the same time, there's still that part of me that's sad to see the great beast of my youth finally sent off, and that an era of football is coming to a final close. Brady's gone, the Mannings are gone, Roethlisberger's gone, Brees and Rivers are gone... and soon, Rodgers will be as well. It's a new era now, for good and for ill.

On the other other hand, lmao get hosed rodgers you giant weirdo baby, and god I hope the packers trip and fall into the basement of the division after this

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
brad why

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Brad Holmes showed in the past that he has a tendency to fall in love with certain players, and I think that's what happened here - he probably loved Gibbs, didn't have anyone else at 12 he was over the moon with, and decided to pull the trigger. It's not a move I'm personally a huge fan of, but at the same time I do think Holmes has a good eye for talent and Gibbs will probably be successful in our offense. Campbell I don't know anything about, but the Lions sure as hell could use some additional talent at LB so I'll take it.

With that said, it is disappointing that the Lions didn't do anything to address the secondary. But on the other hand, they also have 3 2nd round picks tomorrow, so they'll have plenty of opportunities to pick up additional talent. And Joey Porter Jr. is still on the board...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1652049539220512771?t=DcKk-hByXVEcRgyLPydGtQ&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

tinstaach posted:

Four trades in two rounds and picking dudes like they're reading their draft board upside down, this Lions draft is so chaotic that I simply must respect it

It's absolute madness, I love it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hooker as a backup to Goff is a solid choice, anything beyond that is gravy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
pick was worth it just for this image

https://twitter.com/DrawPlayDave/status/1652124547829866496?t=drltieXoRVXtToGeGXwQhQ&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Lions just traded up to get a DT, Brad Holmes is a madman and I love him

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/dannierogers___/status/1652148447552700418?s=20

I mean how can you not like this guy

Really though this has been such a wild draft for the Lions, and I have no idea how to feel about it. It seems like Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell are just picking guys that they like regardless of position or value, and... well, I guess we'll see in a few months if it all works out or if it crashes and burns hard.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The move from 9 to 1 will probably cost a different amount next year than it did this year. It may not even be an option. Banking on simply being able to get the best or even second best QB in any given class is not a smart bet.

I'm reminded of the Eagles traded with the Browns to draft Carson Wentz, which ultimately cost them the 2016 No. 8 overall pick, their 2016 third-round pick (77), 2016 fourth-round pick (100), 2017 first-round pick (12, which though a trade ended up being the Desean Watson pick), and their 2018 second-round pick (52)... all for a guy that had one good season and was traded away (though they were able to get the Colts to overpay for him in the trade).

Which is all to say, good QBs are hard to get.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Bears definitely have a better roster than last year (it'd certainly be hard for them to do worse). But I'm personally still skeptical of whether the coaching staff will be able to make the most of their new talent — it's entirely possible that they will, and that the Bears will pull a worst-to-first! But it's also in the realm of possibility that they putter forward into a mediocre 5-7 wins and waste another year of Fields' potential. Only time will tell!

On that note:

GNU Order posted:

Just to get some context of what’s realistic I went and looked at teams with the worst record, and what they did the next season

2022: Jags 3-14 to 9-8 (and a playoff win)
2021: Jags 1-15 to 3-14 (drafted their franchise QB)
2020: Bengals 2-14 to to 4-11-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2019: Cards 3-13 to 5-10-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2018: Browns 0-16 to 7-8-1 (thought they drafted their franchise QB)
2017: Browns 1-15 to 0-16
2016: Titans 3-13 to 9-7
2015: Bucs 2-14 to 6-10 (drafted Jameis lol)
2014: Texans 2-14 to 9-7
2013: Chiefs 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss)
2012: Colts 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss, drafted Andrew Luck who played like a franchise QB)

So what does this mean to me, the eager Bears Goober? Bad teams who drafted their franchise QB with the first overall pick were usually pretty bad the next season, but I look at the 2016 Titans, a team with a good amount of talent and a QB in place, in a weak conference, who traded down from pick #1 to draft a right tackle, with coaches who were in their second season running the team, and they made it above 500. What if.

It's worth noting that every team I bolded had a coaching change before or during the season. The Jags in 2022 went from Urban Meyer to Doug Pederson. The 2018 Browns tossed out Hue Jackson halfway through the season. The 2016 Titans had Mike Mularkey take over as full-time head coach after being made interim coach halfway through the 2015 season. The Chiefs famously went from Romeo Crennel to Andy Reid. And in some (Though not all) of these cases, I think a lot of the increase in wins can be attributed to these teams getting better coaches. *cough*chiefs*cough*

That being said, Zac Taylor's Bengals are on here, and obviously they've done pretty well after spending their first two seasons being absolutely horrendous. There is precedent here for the Bears to improve and even do well, though like I said I'm still somewhat skeptical.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 3, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I would absolutely love to go to a Lions game in Germany, but man I just could not do it this year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
One of the Lions podcasts I listen to (I think it was One of These Years) also made the point that arguing the Lions should have taken, say, a WR or EDGE with their 1st round picks doesn't really make sense when you look at their roster — the Lions already have a ton of good-to-decent players in those positions, and adding another player to those positions isn't going to have any immediate impact to the team's ability to win football games. Meanwhile, even if their positions are less valuable on paper, Gibbs and Campbell are substantial upgrades to their positions and will be contributing from day 1.

To put it bluntly: Holmes spent the last two drafts picking for the future, but that can only get a team so far — now that we're in the position where this team has the talent to win some goddamn football games, Holmes wants to maximize our ability to do that, and nitpicking that running backs are never worth a second contract is hilariously missing the point.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sataere posted:

But but but the future contracts your missing out on!

most guys don't get second contracts unless you hit on them

From the year 2000 to 2020, the Lions picked 24 players in the first round. Of those, six signed contract extensions: Jeff Backus, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew, Taylor Decker, and Frank Ragnow. Since the 2010 CBA, the Lions also exercised the 5th year option on Nick Fairley, Ziggy Ansah (Who also played an additional year on the franchise tag), and Eric Ebron (Though he was cut before actually playing out his 5th year).

This is really more of an indictment of the horrible drafting and contract management that took place during the Millen years (And slightly less horrible though still pretty bad in retrospect Mayhew/Quinn years), but the point still stands: Gibbs might not get a second contract, but neither did Jarrad Davis, Jeff Okudah, or TJ Hockenson, and all those dudes were praised by draft analysts as surefire hits. And if Gibbs helps us get a playoff win (Or, god forbid, an actual championship), then he'll have contributed a hell of a lot more than those duds.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Lions play 5 away games against teams in Central time (Bears, Pack, Vikes, Cowboys, and Chiefs), 1 game in PST (Chargers), and 3 games against teams in EST (Saints, Bucs, Ravens). So if you count the time zone difference going one way, the math checks out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Alleged Vikings schedule:

https://twitter.com/eli_corbett/status/1656676226776588295?t=H-AaBM2Ef8Vkd8ArHw6UTg&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Lions signed a dude from EMU :toot:

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1658202318456647680?t=-ZMOdfteL2cwfGNxP-xEPQ&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Skepticism towards the Lions is always warranted, and I try to limit my hype levels to "cautious optimism" at the most. It's certainly entirely possible for the wheels to still fall off at this point, and a few key injuries could still derail the entire season.

That being said, there's something about how the team is being built that feels more sustainable than in past years. The 2011 playoff team was built on the back of Stafford2Megatron (with a healthy dose of Jahvid Best before his brain exploded), 2014 came from an insanely talented defense (that lost all its talent the moment the season was over), and 2016 was all about the bullshit comebacks. And in terms of coaches, Schwartz was able to get his team to play but melted down at crucial moments, and Caldwell could get his team to play to their level of talent but not much more beyond that.

But with Campbell and Holmes so far, the team feels like it's being built from the foundation to succeed. There's not really a lot of star players or gimmicks with this team, just a bunch of dudes that are good at football and want to do their best for coaches they like - coaches who in turn who do their best to put their players in positions where they can succeed. The offense last year is the big showcase of this effect: they were one of the best offenses in the league last year, with an average-at-best QB under center and the top skill player being a mid-round pick with no outstanding physical traits.

They still have a lot to prove - they did start the season going 1-6 last year, after all - but it's hard not to be optimistic about the team given the progress they've shown so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

I only started watching football in 2011, my understanding is that the Lions had the misfortune of getting their top tier generational talents at basically the worst possible time financially or something?

Yeah, before the 2011 CBA there was no rookie wage scale, so draft picks could negotiate like free agents. This lead to situations like Jamarcus Russel getting a 6 year, $68 million contract (one of the highest-paid players in the league) and nearly half the Lions' 2012 salary cap being taken up by only four players (Staff, Suh, Megatron, and Kyle Vanden Bosch). The cap situation created by the high-priced rookie contracts wasn't the only reason the Lions' rebuild stalled out in the Schwartz years, but it certainly didn't help.