Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

There is at best a 25% chance that the Bears will draft either Carter or Anderson, based purely on the fact that it's who everybody thinks they're going to pick. The Bears never take the consensus mocked projection, the only guy I can think of in recent memory was Roquan.

This is also your depressing reminder that the Bears have been picking in the Top 11 since 2015 and only one of those guys is still on the team (JF)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sataere posted:

The problem is I want a top defensive lineman from this class too! :v:

Frank Clark potentially hitting FA makes me very very excited about the possibility of them trading past the top of the draft to look for JSN

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

tinstaach posted:

This is an AI post, Trevis Gipson is a made-up-rear end name

when your team starts bad and sells off the only good players, you end up getting a lot of minutes from Madden-generated guys named like Trevis or Nsimba

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Timby posted:

Next year's free agent market looks a lot better than this one's.

This is always the case this time of year, because most of the players at the top of any 2024 list are going to be obviously extended or somehow locked up between now and then.

This FA class looks about the same as any others imo and you can still easily construct a league average to above average Defensive front 7 and OL 5, even if you pretend like nobody on the Bears current roster will be starting next season.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

save big money at menards

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I have a crazy thought. What if the Chicago Bears were a legitimately good team soon

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The NFC is so bad though. Go look at that schedule

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Quick someone tell me how I'm supposed to feel about this

My eagles friend hates him and says he’s “one of the main reasons they lost the Super Bowl” but he’s also a moron, as am I, as are most of us in here

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If this clears the way for Lamar in GB I'm loving done with this stupid sport

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Niwrad posted:

Guessing that means Whitehair is getting cut.

Or he finally gets moved back to center.

He was always a center. James Daniels was always a guard. I have no clue why the Nagy regime moved them in the first place, and they were clearly wrong about it because James Daniels was one of the best guards in the game last season

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If my napkin math is right the Bears still have like 40 mil in possible FA money left?

Bare minimum, give me at least 2 DL's and I'll be happy. I'm holding my breath for Frank Clark.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 13, 2023

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

xbilkis posted:

NFL superstars like Dre'mont Jones and Mike McGlinchey - there isn't a football fan alive who doesn't know these names

ask the average football fan to name a right tackle other than the one on their team, or a DT other than Aaron Donald. Playoff teams overpay for premium positions but these jokers are literally starting from the bottom, you should just be getting really great players at reasonable rates.

e- I'm sorry I'm normally not an argumentative person but i'm just pissed that my team was unable to sign Mike "The Glinch" McGlinchey because a desperate rear end team overpaid for him

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm starting to like Jack Sanborn

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Montogomery

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Downside
late night drunken street racing
eats too many cadbury eggs
is a "diva"

Upside
really good at football
Bears got rid of a guy who gets in DUI crashes we need a new one
did i mention he's good at football

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Everybody in football is historically tight-lipped, I'm glad the GM is talking personally, the deal is done and the addition of a young, established WR1 I think makes it more than worth it. If we're still doing poo poo like whining about the Claypool pick and the perception lost value off the trade-back in 2 or 3 years, then it was never gonna work out in the first place.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If anything, the fact that Poles was willing to be open with this move makes me kinda mad that we'll never get the real story behind Roquan. Even if it is as simple as "there was some behind-the-scenes character stuff" or "the HC didn't think his body type fit the scheme, and we knew this fast rangey freak LB was going to hit FA by the end of the season, so we sold off Roquan to secure the tank, got a pick back, and we think we'll get equivalent production from this guy in the future when the games actually matter"

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

unl33t posted:

Surprisingly little chatter in the thread about such a major organizational shift in Chicago

tbh I still don't feel like I know enough about how Poles wants to run a football team yet. I THINK I believe him when he says poo poo like he intends to build through the draft, that he's in no hurry to be good now, and that as an organization they seem much more interested in maximizing value and not overspending at all. Most coaches would rather draft and develop "their guys" anyway.

Sounds good to me, I hope it works out and we win a Super Bowl soon, that'd be pretty cool

e - ope

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 26, 2023

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Am I crazy for wanting Bijan at 9?

Think about how insanely fun this offense would be

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I’m watching his highlights and he’s insanely sick. It’d be a lot of fun to watch.

Also I kind of suspect as WR salaries keep getting bigger that RB contracts will start to look more appealing w/r/t production per dollar.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

That being said Bears shouldn't take him.

Ok then trade down if you absolutely need to maximize value. But think of the highlights. Like miraculously this team is actually pretty good at running already

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Just let me dream though.

But, honestly, what if Poles has some random RT in the 2nd that ends up being serviceable, and he also really wants to score as many points as humanly possible. There's no such thing as having too many elite skill players

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

R.D. Mangles posted:

he's gone
it's over

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I know who the bears will take but I’m not telling tee hee 😈

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

He'll be a Right Tackle. So far so good

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

adaz posted:

It's a great pick. I would grab more if I was Chicago to be honest - some interior help - because you _have_ to protect fields better this year.

They signed a starter last month and I think they still like Tevin Jenkins (jury's still out but there's no reason to give up on him yet)

For the first time in like a decade we have a lot of picks so I'm sure they'll grab some random dude in the 3rd day anyway

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Can’t quantify this. Dawg mentality

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm just a big fan of drafting Power 5 Freak Athletes, it seems like a good time

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

One of the things that drove me crazy about the Pace years is sometimes he would try to get crafty and draft some division 3 guy who ended up sucking rear end, or even worse just being mediocre to below average.

The NCAA is basically a farm system now just take good players from the best schools

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Just to get some context of what’s realistic I went and looked at teams with the worst record, and what they did the next season

2022: Jags 3-14 to 9-8 (and a playoff win)
2021: Jags 1-15 to 3-14 (drafted their franchise QB)
2020: Bengals 2-14 to to 4-11-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2019: Cards 3-13 to 5-10-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2018: Browns 0-16 to 7-8-1 (thought they drafted their franchise QB)
2017: Browns 1-15 to 0-16
2016: Titans 3-13 to 9-7
2015: Bucs 2-14 to 6-10 (drafted Jameis lol)
2014: Texans 2-14 to 9-7
2013: Chiefs 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss)
2012: Colts 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss, drafted Andrew Luck who played like a franchise QB)

So what does this mean to me, the eager Bears Goober? Bad teams who drafted their franchise QB with the first overall pick were usually pretty bad the next season, but I look at the 2016 Titans, a team with a good amount of talent and a QB in place, in a weak conference, who traded down from pick #1 to draft a right tackle, with coaches who were in their second season running the team, and they made it above 500. What if.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

It all just comes down to how good Justin is

As it always was, and always will be. More than anything it just highlighted the difference between having a QB already and not having one. Just based on the past 10 years it’s not unrealistic to think a playoff appearance could be possible

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m kind of confused where the optimism for the Bears is coming from. They are the same team that won 3 games last season. Fields might improve but that’s guesswork at the moment

We call it "being a fan of a team during the offseason"

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The packers are still gonna win the division let's not kid ourselves

we like to have fun here but let's be realistic for once

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm so pissed about the ESPN Zone that place rocked

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

trevorreznik posted:

Is there a single organization in the state of Illinois with a currently existing 'championship culture'

i say no

"Building a Winning Culture" is the kind of thing front offices and PR departments say because it sounds good, and it's also most of their job. Try to convince the players to play as hard as possible in order to win

I roll my eyes at that kind of stuff, because of the way it's served up to us the viewer, but if it works on the players then gently caress it go for it.

H.I.T.S.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Metapod posted:

Chicago's Big10 team Ohio State has won many championships

how dare you

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seems to be working okay for the Lions

Lions fans itt may not want to hear this but maybe let’s win a playoff game first. How many times have “The New Look Lions” gotten back to 500 only to fall apart

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Lions revamping their culture has been an unambiguous positive for the team, suddenly changing it around to go "What about the playoff win?!" is moving the goalpost.

I would rather have a toxic super bowl winning team than a "winning culture" .500 team

The "goalposts" are what they've always been and always will be, winning and losing. I like the Lions, I want them to do well, and I think they will this year, but I don't put the cart before the horse personally, same with the Bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The Patriot Way(TM) is arguably toxic