Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Da Cook county Bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Comfortador posted:

Its not going to happen, they are building this team right from the trenches out.

Throwing some cap heavy QB into the mix when we currently have a decent game manager who knows our system and has good synergy with our OC makes zero sense.

He's been hurt way too often, two 1st rounders and a 200 mil+ contract with most of it guaranteed? It just doesn't make sense for how they've been building this team.

I understand what you're saying, but they are building the team for an eventual high caliber qb. If you're good in the trenches then any good qb should excel. Maybe goff gets better next year, but i doubt it. I think he looks good because of a good rb and wr squad to keep the game balanced. Maybe the money aint right, but Lamar would look pretty good on the lions.

As a bears fan, I love me a good game manager, but they can only do so much.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SirPablo posted:

Thielen is extremely overpaid (who did that loving contract?). He's also delusional about his production potential. It's been real, adios.

Some other fanbase can now be annoyed with "I got Thielen"

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

JGdmn posted:

Grossman was 5-6 years I think.

Only 2ish years starting. The bears tried to do the right thing and have him ride the bench for 03 and 04. Which made only a little sense since we were fielding the likes of Chad Hutchinson, Chris Chandler, and Craig Krenzel. Certainly more of a "learning what not to do" situation. Then he was injured before 05 which led to orton starting. Yes he was on the team from 03 to 08 and it was a strange ride.

E:i spell good

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 10, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

JGdmn posted:

Oh yeah, I know he didn’t start, but I didn’t think that was the question.

Ah yeah fair enough. My bad.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sataere posted:

I am in love with this idea. I also am curious what Poles does in free agency. He doesn't strike me as a free agency guy.

He played money ball all last year signing random hole fillers and scooping up players from practice squads and fresh cuts like Leatherwood and Nkeal Harry. He didnt make any splashes because that wasnt the strategy last year, but he worked the field.

I think he'll do pretty good. He's shown that he can play hardball in negotiations and wont over pay. Thats why roquan is gone. The DJ Moore trade is pretty stellar already and it makes chicago a place some players want to play at.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Same dude has a pile of old Bears jerseys in his closet: Cade McNown, Rashaan Salaam, David Terrell, Curtis Enis...

I feel attacked. Also thanks for piling it on by not mentioning anyone that started their career prior to 1995.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
No one wanted a bears qb jersey. They wanted the next bears d or rb star.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
They are kinda meaningless, but ive seen projections of carter falling to 10 or 12. One of my friends is convinced he'll fall to the bears, but i know there is no way he makes it past detroit if he falls at all.

I wonder is sports writers have draft leagues and the publish one or two mock drafts with a pot for the closest one. Like everyone does for the ncaa tourney.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

GNU Order posted:

I'm starting to like Jack Sanborn

Yeah he was solid filling in after roquan left, especially for an undrafted rookie.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
"Hi, I'm Aaron Rodgers and this is Jackass"

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Are the bears gonna resign Montgomery?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

surf rock posted:

God, I hope this trade happens and he breaks his collarbone three games into the season. loving LEAVE

Unrelated: I love how much Detroit fans fell in love with Jamaal Williams. He's a rad dude and he should make a circuit around the NFC North and become the one thing we can all agree on (in addition to Saving Big Money and hating Ohio).

Even as a bears fan, Williams is cool and i want him on my team. The only downside is he is "close" with AAron.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Nail Rat posted:

So Aaron Rodgers is going to the Jets for his age 39 season?

He's going to the Vikings after that I guess

Corey Wooton is only 35 right now. We can make this happen.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bob Socko posted:

Hi, thanks, I appreciate your input. The Seahawks have pick #5 and I'd rather they not use it on a player who may have been involved in an incident that got two people killed, and is suddenly skipping portions of workouts for teams. This is a completely reasonable worry to have, as I'd like my team to draft players who are both good players and decent human beings. Jalen Carter may be 100% innocent, and his weight gain may be directly related to the death of a teammate and a staffer, but I see no proof of that. Happy to be proven wrong, but that's on him.

Its not his fault Funeral Potatoes are so tasty.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

GNU Order posted:

Downside
late night drunken street racing
eats too many cadbury eggs
is a "diva"

Upside
really good at football
Bears got rid of a guy who gets in DUI crashes we need a new one
did i mention he's good at football

Wasnt that Briggs who left his very expensive car wrecked on lakeshore drive(or some other downtown street)?

MJeff posted:

WELL MAYBE HE JUST WANTS TO BE A BIG FAT GUY THEN NIWRAD! :rant:

I wonder how heavy JaMarcus Russel is now. He wouldnt have been a bust if just accepted who he was and transitioned to O-line. Coulda been making the BK money and have it his way.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Pops Mgee posted:

This is insane.

Yeah, but so is the contract the packers agreed to last year. Trading him is the best option and still leaves the packers with 40mil in dead money. Cutting him is way worse.

So now you gotta sell this stupid contract to someone willing and with cap space.

And its egomaniac AAron tryin to get all his buddies signed up for Wild Hogs 2: Electric Boogaloo

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aaron-rodgers-contract-details-salary-cap-impact-bonuses/

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I was just making a dumb joke about Jimmy Graham coming out of retirement

It was exactly what i was thinking before the tweet loaded fully. I was fearful for a moment.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sataere posted:

I do. Inject this into my veins.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
As much as i want rodgers gone. The comedy option is definitely a sulking rodgers on the bench and the packers spending the most ever on a backup qb.

E: and the jets get a long run in the playoffs with lazard and not rodgers.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 17, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's the offseason and the first wave of free agency is already wrapping up. Not much else to report on other than a 4x MVP being dangled above a team starving for a Superbowl.

How do they not see the dead albatross?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Maybe...just maybe... the compensation is more about how much of the contract the jets want to make the packers eat. Its a bad contract for anyone except AAron. I guess good on him for gettin paid, but now hes got teams playin hot potato with him.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Danny LaFever posted:

New York fans only want him because they think he can bring them a championship. If he is floundering the media and fanbase will make him miserable. He'll just retire and go away.

Orrr go to the vikings and get pummeled!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Niwrad posted:

I'd rather have Moore than a 2025 1st round pick. If it's a 2023, that's maybe a different story. Supposedly the Packers offered a 1st for Moore and it was turned down. Moore is a really good receiver and while not in that top tier of WR1 (Hill, Jefferson, etc), he's definitely a WR1 in the NFL and only 25.

The Claypool trade was horrendous though and the Bears deserve to be laughed at for it. But the return they got for the #1 pick is surprisingly good.

Im not defending the claypool trade here, but hes gonna be a hell of a lot better than pringle or some of the other guys they rolled out at the end of the year. The bears really should have insisted on the ravens pick they just got. It would have been more palatable. It shoulda been a 3rd.

Overall, claypool needs a full training camp and familiarization with the offense. He needs to build a rapport with Fields. He's not a seasoned veteran that can just pick up whatever he has to wherever he goes. Hes still on his rookie contract.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Timby posted:

This is some really strange logic to argue that the Bears invested a first-round pick in DJ Moore.

Agreed.
On top of the 2023 and 2024 picks, they got dj moore and a 2nd round 2025 instead of just a 2025 1st round pick.

If they had only gotten dj moore and nothing in 2025, then i could see the logic in "they invested a 1st." Poles got more value out of this pick than i could have imagined outside of the fantasy of trading with houston and then the colts somehow.

What would DJM be worth if someone were trading him right now or on draft day? A 2nd rounder just because of the money/contract?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

IcePhoenix posted:

is there a Packers and Bears FA WR that the Panthers can sign too

Byron pringle is a UFA.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I keep seeing dumb articles about the bears being the right spot for derrik henry. I just wanna strangle some of these clickbait writers.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wow, feels like that's a pretty rare outcome. Either a team is ride-or-die or they just trade/cut their QB, it's got to be really rare for a team to outright go "We're moving on from you in the future, but for now you're our starter."

Even the Packers went with Rodgers right until it was beyond clear they couldn't manage it anymore, and then they immediately moved to trade him instead of leaving him as a lame duck.

I dont think the way the packers have handled rodgers is the better situation here. Sign a qb to a crippling contract, watch a lovely year unfold, then "trade" him for an unknown compensation. Deal isnt even done yet. Jets can still backout and then the pack are on the hook for 75 mil...40 if they cut post june 1? I might be slightly wrong on the money, but whatever. At least the vikings arent gonna be in cap hell and it gives cousins a chance at one last big contract somwhere.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1640369065255636994

Please God let the Packers somehow end up still holding the Rodgers bag.

Please lord. I don't ask for much. Give me this one thing.

Can you imagine being the packers and asking for 2 firsts (or anything close) for an aging AAron when Lamar is just chillin right there?.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Gonz posted:

Mike Glennon is a neck above the rest of those guys.

He really should have seen it coming.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Its pretty comical how long this trade is taking. Might not be his fault this time, but its pretty on point for AAron

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Knowing the little bit I know about the bears as an org, my gut reaction to this statement is that this requires more faith to believe in than faith to believe the Lions will win the NFC, or the superbowl

The bears are 1-1 in superbowls. The lions have to overcome 60 years of dysfunction. I dont have any hate for the lions and i want them to win (just a little), but they havent won a championship since 1957 and have never appeared in a superbowl.

The bears really just hosed up when they canned lovie and jerry angelo. I didnt like jerry much then, but i learned to appreciate him more after the series of fuckups they hired after him.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1641539391209328642

Nathan Peterman must be the best player coach/teacher/hype man backup QB in the league.

Someones gotta fill Josh McCowns shoes.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Niwrad posted:

I loved Montgomery and I might get poo poo on for this take, but D'onta Foreman is probably just as good as him for what the Bears need.

Not by me. This is the right take. Im just pissed we gotta go against him twice a year. He gonna fuckin steam roll us like Cedric Benson (rip).

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

I heard the bears got yet another d line guy and I still think the o line is garbo so poles gets a failing grade

Its not gettin fixed overnight. We havent even hit the draft yet.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Comfortador posted:

I mean a team where the starting QB is not as locked in as Goff is. Atlanta, Washington...whos in Arizona?

Kyler...like a young AAron in terms of ego.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

R.D. Mangles posted:

The trade down at 9 seems kind of silly to me st this point, that's like an extra 4th rounder unless they go all the way to the bottom of the first. We're not getting thst second rounder back.

It depends on another teams desperation. When the bears traded up for fields, the giants made out pretty well. Bears got pick 11. Giants got pick 20, a fifth rounder, and the following years 1st and 4th round picks.

E: lol at the thought of the bears possibly having 3 1st rounders next year. The difference between pace and poles is stark.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 10, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

this draft is so fun. the bears should get the #1 pick more often

And it was fun rooting for them to get there. Especially with Lovie Smith's cameo as santa right at the end.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Wasnt marz the reason we traded away greg olsen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Reminder modern cars are phasing out the AM tuner, which is why I’m assuming they have FM stuff now

Wonder how long thatll take. I had an 07 with a tape deck.