Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lmao @ the lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

fennesz posted:

I too like when my first round picks miss their rookie year and then 6 minimum games their second year! It's the best.

its actually a good thing that Dan Campbell was running a book out of his office

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oh my god that's Dan Campbell's music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SOL hahaha

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

grats on not being a lion anymore swift

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

doesn't that article mean that KC wants the bears fans to travel there cause its money for them?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

remember when he helped steal 77 million dollars from the state welfare fund so his stupid daughter could have a better volleyball court

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

excited to start the season off right with a loss

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

C-Euro posted:

There are a few important Chiefs who are out or potentially out, which will make it all the more heartbreaking when they lose. That said I do think Detroit will finish with a winning record again, but there's gonna be a lot of haters and losers jumping off the bandwagon after tomorrow night.

im the haters and losers but i am also not on the bandwagon until either the fords sell the team or they win a playoff game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

I’m not expecting us to win tonight, but damned if this isn’t one of the best opportunities for us to do so

to be honest the actual SOL path here is to win in dominating fashion and then poo poo the bed later.

losing in a tight game woudl be far more "normal" and is nothing to worry about, the Lions are not SB contenders but playing well could a start of a season that ends in a playoff spot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Danny LaFever posted:

Patricia's first year opener against Darnold/Jets is a classic SOL game.

or any of the times we beat the packers with favre at home in the 90s but never did anything with it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What are you guys drinking this evening? I know what I’m having

all of my family is drinking it and i am the lone naysayer. we shall see who is right come december

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gonz posted:

I currently a hold a “I need to see the hype manifest itself in convincing wins before I fully buy in” opinion.

I’ve spent decades getting burned by the Lions. I want to believe. But i’m just not quite there as of yet.

win a playoff game. do that and i wont immediately say SOL when we get clobbered by 20 points in October by a sub 500 team

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Raising a kid to be a lions fan is child abuse

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Happy we won

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

quote:

The Lions (6-2) have established themselves as a legitimate contender in the NFC and perhaps the surprise team in the entire league at the midway point of their season. They are one game behind Green Bay (7-1) in the NFC North.

“This is real,” defensive tackle Cory Redding said. “This is a different team. It’s not the same-old Lions anymore.”

https://www.vaildaily.com/sports/lions-blow-out-broncos/

It has happened before, it will happen again. "this time its different" has been said many many times.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What a dour loving perspective.

being the worst sports franchise in North America is inherently dour

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

If Dan Campbell gets into a scuffle with a future Wolverines coach he will annihilate the dude though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I will say that Dan Campbell with not have a Lions Coach meltdown. He's going to go out on his shield.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GB made a rookie do his first NFL kick on a 52 yarder and he made it right down the middle and it might still be airborne

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Closest otherwise is Daunte Culpepper, and then of short timers I don't know if Kitna, Ferrotte, Shaun Hill, or Stanton won as a backup.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Just lmao

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

someone is getting robbed if Tee Grizzley is there

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The last decade or so has been the darkest period of michigan sports ever. for decades at least 1 of the major teams was good at any time. Even the Lions won championships in the 50s, and then the Tigers were fantastic after the Red Wings started to enter the Dead Things Era. They stay good through the 80s, peak with a WS win in 84 and then the Pistons took over with the Bad Boys. Once they fall apart the Wings begin a dynasty in the NHL. that ends in the early 00s but then you have the Pistons winning another championship. They fall apart but hey the Wings get one last gasp in 08. Then the Tigers at least were competitive and even knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs before losing in the WS. Since then though it has all been horrible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i found i via google i think its from reddit

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

people are so loving stupid

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

They should retire the statue after 10 years

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

kdrudy posted:

It'll still be the best statue Detroit ever had.

Bullshit the Joe Louis fist rules, Spirit of Detroit whips as well

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gonna be hilarious when Ford Field is silent in the first quarter after some unmitigated disaster

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

My friend invited me to watch the Lions games this season with him so I guess I'm a lions fan now. Anything I should know before watching

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lol so far for the division as a whole this weekend

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm in awe of the shithousery by that Seahawks dlineman

The announcers covering for him pissed me off

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Glad everyone wore ski masks so they can hide their embarrassment

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comfortador posted:

Dude... like.. I used to like your posting but it's just become the same loving thing over and over. Oh wait... I can see your reponse to this "Like the lions losing over and over?!?" You're predictable and transparent as gently caress, just see a therapist man.

You've been a member on these forums almost as long as I have. It seems your current existence is just to vomit your Lions trauma over everyone else like you're passing the Ring videotape to survive Bubbles coming out of the TV to kill you.

It will be okay, pull up man.

You're probably right, I'll try not to be as much of a dick.

What has been different this year over the summer and then this last week has been the amount of people getting expectations wildly high. I.e. the season tickets selling out, all this kind of poo poo. Like my brother in law dropped a bunch of money on tickets later this season, and i know drat well he is gonna end up mad as hell and embarrass himself getting angry about the Lions at a family event again.

One of my fundamental frustrations with this team has been the fact that the fans will keep letting them get away with putting a terrible product on the field. People just handed over a bunch of their hard earned money to the Ford's again for tickets, jerseys, hats, and beer and the Lions went out and did the exact thing the Lions have done for decades, which is be horrendously inconsistent and lose a game they should have won. We overall looked better than the seahawks. On plays where we got pressure they looked good, and the offense was humming. Yet as usual the coach made bad choices, a number of players got hurt (can be plain bad luck or bad conditioning/training), and both the defense and offense made crucial mistakes that cost the game. Then on top of it the refs did a poo poo job, again, because no one cares if the Lions get screwed over.

The division is hot garbage so there is still no excuse not to win it and hope to the gods that they can pull out a playoff victory, but there is still a lot of work to be done on this team.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

my god the bears, my god

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

he was caught taking the green relish off a hot dog and replacing it with ketchup

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What does GB mean?

I wouldn’t have guessed that the Bears are historically worse than the Lions

it goes back what, 11 seasons? it includes at least 1 of Schwartz's good years and Caldwell. Patricia is what stops them from being a lot closer to the vikings in there

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

I just looked it up: One playoff won since 1957

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/playoffs.htm

I hope they win one this year. Every fan base deserves joy.

i mean yeah but in the wake of this banner week for the bears even i need to pump the brakes here cause the lions are likely to at be .500 if not better

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

goddammit wrong thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SourKraut posted:

I'm a fan of both the Bears and the Cardinals. And my mother is dying of cancer. This year is awesome.

(massive sarcasm of course)

Sorry to hear that, have been there. Keep your head up and don't refuse support, cancer is hell on the family almost as much as the victim. Hope her treatment goes as well as possible and you can create some memories with her.