Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I mean, that was always going to be the price. We have prior history and this is a solid rear end class a year after the worst quarterback class in 20 years. There are too many teams who need quarterbacks.

The real question is whether they can pull off trading down twice and really getting a haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

As far as Bears Podcasts go, the best one is Hoge and Jahns, kinda by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-QYbMBv9xM

While this is true, I'm still not a big fan of it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Braxton Jones is pretty simple.

He is good at moving his feet and like the technical parts of blocking.

Dude just desperately needs to put on strength and weight so he can't get bull rushed. It's like his only glaring flaw.

This. An offseason with an NFL strength program will tell us a lot about his overall potential. I still like the idea of getting a stud LT and moving him to the right side.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

May I recommend JSN

More and more, I just want the Bears to figure out a way to draft him. Even though I know there is zero chance of it happening.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

I mean if they trade back with the Panthers or like Washington or something.

The problem is I want a top defensive lineman from this class too! :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

surf rock posted:

Rodgers-2-Jets picking up steam!

I'm guessing the return is pick #13 this year and a conditional fourth-rounder next year that can escalate up to the second-round based on performance.

Rodgers is too old and expensive to get a bigger return, especially after Broncos Country (Let's Ride!) Russ poisoned the well.

Not sure he gets a first. I think second and maybe future third is more likely

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is this bait?

Nah, I just think age and contract will lower the return.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Hand Row posted:

Lol at Bears fans thinking they are going to get 10 first round picks when there’s like possibly 4 qbs in the top 10, but that Rodgers won’t get one first round pick.

I don't think anyone really thinks they are getting more that much. It is fun to pretend they will trade down three different times and get a huge haul.

I think second rounder that can become a first is probably the max they get.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

Some Bears fans have deluded themselves into thinking the team is going to do a complete 180 in a single offseason when they need a new offensive line, at least one great wide receiver, a new defensive line, a weakside linebacker, a safety and a cornerback, so...

It isn't going to happen in one offseason. I don't even think the Bears are going to spend so much in free agency as extend guys like Mooney, Kmet, and Jaylen Johnson and try to grab one or two big guys in free agency.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think he's being too conservative also

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

It's either sign him to a fully guaranteed deal that the Ravens won't match or sign-and-trade 6 and 18 plus probably other stuff for him, right?

Pretty much. If the Lions signed Lamar, I don't even know how I'd feel. I didnt think I could like that team any more than I already do for a division rival. Adding one of my favorite quarterbacks...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chris James 2 posted:

I'll believe Satan is real if the Packers go from Favre to Rodgers to Lamar

The world isn't proof enough?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

They can carry over money to next year. It's not like the corporate world, where if you have a budget of $2 million but you only spend $1 million, then you only get $1 million the following year.

Deciding you have to spend money means you'll inevitably work yourself into a bad deal. And the free agents at the positions the Bears need are ... less than optimal.

No, there is an actual spending floor. They HAVE to spend a certain amount of money over a three year span or there will be financial penalties. Considering how little they spent last year, they have to do something this year. If they don't spend enough this year, they will have to go hard in free agency next year.

EDIT: Beaten badly

Sataere fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 8, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just do a bunch of one-year contracts while you wait for next year's free agents.

This year's class doesn't seem that great outside DE and TE (and Bijan Robinson). Fortunately the Packers need both positions!

This running back class overall is one of the best in years. There is a ton of top level depth through the first three rounds.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea by giving him a $60 million signing bonus, which is kind of absurd. Never understood how bonuses apparently don’t count against the cap.

So a 5 year, $60 bonus is paid out immediately, but is split evently across the first five years of the contract. it would only count $12 this year, even though you are giving him a bunch of money upfront

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Guy A. Person posted:

Sounds pretty contrived, how’d they get the first pick if they have a good QB? Writers are pulling some poo poo imo

The NFL has jumped the bear.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

surf rock posted:

I don't need an excuse to watch Barry Sanders clips, but watching them while listening to a couple of Brits say "he's done well there, hasn't he?" after each run is even better.

I will now be calling players rapid. Also will refer to the extremities of the field to talk about the sidelines.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

I think Carolina has the best coaching staff in the league and their pick will be below the bears next year

Edit: Moore is like 3 years younger than I realized, that cheers me up

Carolina does not have the best coaching staff in the league. It might have the best staff of all the new hires, but Reich was fired for a reason.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bird in a Blender posted:

After much meditation I have decided I really like the trade. I was hoping for a pick somewhere around 5-6 this year, but getting Moore is a big get. My guess is Panthers pick is in the middle of the draft next year, which is still really nice. Bears fill a big need already and set up to fill a few more needs in the draft.

I am so loving amped for this pick. Me and my friends were talking about maybe getting Pittman from Indy or DJM and all thought it was a pipe dream. Now we can just throw all our money and draft picks at the lines and hopefully improve a ton.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, Carolina won't be picking in the top ten and that is okay. Two firsts is still good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MacheteZombie posted:

It's alright the bears will get themselves a top 10 pick

Are they trading down again?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I am so absolutely loving pumped right now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

King

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

adaz posted:

It's not, especially in the tackle area.

Now.. the Bears have so much cap room they could do some inventive poo poo like trade a pick for a sign-and-trade of someone who needs the cap space

I'd argue the tackles in free agency are amongst the strongest position in free agency. This is more indicative of free agency than the strength of the tackles, but it is probably one of the best places to improve a team.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

lmao what?

There are like 5 good to very good tackles on the market.

There's no like prime orlando pace or whatever. But Brown is very good, McGlinchy is good, Taylor is good, McGary is good, Powers is good. all still under 28.

edit: 4, bleh Powers is a guard. bad memory.

Brown is good, but inconsistent. McGlinchey is solid at run blocking, but atrocious at pass protection. Taylor is good as pass pro, but not so good in the run game. But for free agency, everyone is going to be flawed because if they weren't, they wouldn't be free agents.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Brown feels like the safest option, but all the reports seem to point to McGlinchey. Truth is, even with their weakness, all those guys are an upgrade over Borom.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

adaz posted:

Brown is probably the one you want to blow all the money on but the others are pretty iffy. And with Brown you are probably looking at 25M a year at least... which is an awful lot of money. I mean the Bears have the cap space so sure and there's a real good argument that going from F- tackles to even league average would've made the offense better but imo there's better ways of utilizing all that cap space. If the Saints weren't crazy they'd could really help their cap situation out by trading some like Ryan Ramcyzk to the Bears etc. They have _so much_ cap space there's some inventive things they can do with it beyond just blowing a ton of money on whoever happens to be a FA this year.

I am in love with this idea. I also am curious what Poles does in free agency. He doesn't strike me as a free agency guy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ZombieCrew posted:

He played money ball all last year signing random hole fillers and scooping up players from practice squads and fresh cuts like Leatherwood and Nkeal Harry. He didnt make any splashes because that wasnt the strategy last year, but he worked the field.

I think he'll do pretty good. He's shown that he can play hardball in negotiations and wont over pay. Thats why roquan is gone. The DJ Moore trade is pretty stellar already and it makes chicago a place some players want to play at.

The more I think about it, the more i think he isn't very active early in free agency. And he hits that second wave of free agency hard. Maybe one signing that first week.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

He was.

He signed a DT the first day last year but the dt failed their physical.

One guy at the start of free agency is not what I'd call active.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1634984765207248897

Y'know what fine screw you Jalen, we're just gonna get Slay anyway! :mad:

This is how I find out Ramsey was traded

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Bears have a billion dollars and a ton of holes, they need to spend money in FA so they can save their draft picks for positions they can’t easily fill in FA. You only get to spend that #9 pick once, you can’t use it on a DT and a DE and multiple offense linemen and another WR.

Just because you have a ton of money doesn't mean you need to overpay. Wait for the first wave of free agency to pass and get value. That is what good teams do.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

HootTheOwl posted:

You have to spend money on the o line because you traded the first over all and will be totally hosed if Fields goes down because you cheaped out on the line.

Yeah, but you can spend on the line without overspending. There are more than three lineman available in free agency. I don't want the Bears to overpay just to make a big splash. I want them to do what Poles said they would do. Build for long-term sustained success. And that doesn't happen by going crazy in free agency.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Also the two best lineman are still available in Brown and Tunsil(trade)

The way the market is going, I do not want Brown at $25mill per year

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

Brown at $25 million a year to play LT seems like a pretty fair price given what the RTs are going for

Personally, I think that is too much for a guy as flawed in pass protection as he is. But also, it is not my money and he is the best tackle in free agency, so I won't be too mad if that is what happens.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

To be fair, Superbowl contenders doing it make more sense to say gently caress value.

Mostly don't get caught up in immediacy.

Dudes are still available. At least wait til Wed before bears doomposting

This. If the Bears were one piece away, by all means overspend on a guy in your window. But it is a bad idea to do it in the middle of a rebuild.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

Edmunds is a B+ player with an A+ pedigree. Total physical freak with excellent coverage skills but struggles to shed blocks and is often a beat late at diagnosing plays. But the Bills defense will be a lot shittier without him.

This makes me feel better about the move. He's a huge upgrade from Morrow. Also should be familiar with the defense since Leslie Frazier was your DC. I don't hate this move.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nate Davis is a RG. I think it is more likely when they lost out on McGlinchey that they decided to slide Jenkins to RT.

I'm pretty excited with how the Bears have executed this first day. They got a bunch of young guys that can grow with the team and none of the contracts seem like overpays.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dov gets all of us at first.

mastershakeman posted:

Had to get rid of roquan to get #1

Also he had a weird tenure here. Remember his unexplained illnesses and weird pseudo agent?

Saint Omni is one of the most bizarrely fascinating stories

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, it's looking like a 3 year/48 million contract which makes me sad because that is a great price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

I'm seeing 3/$51m, but that's still really low compared to what I expected, especially if the guarantee is only $18m. Wonder if NFL teams weren't as hot on him as people speculated

I think it is probably that he had 6.5 sacks and 8 tackles for loss with Bradley Chubb and just 1 sack and one tfl without him (only 4 games, missed the rest of the season)