Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Chris James 2 posted:

In a league where you've seen the Saints for years, I don't know how you could still worry about the cap. Ever

If they can make it work, you can

Like Dexo said, you can not worry about the cap for about 10 years. Eventually all those cans you kicked down the road fiddling with the cap get piled up and you spend 3-4 years in absolute cap hell until you can start over again. The Saints aren't in a good position to compete right now because they're just trying to figure out ways to get under the cap just to cover their current roster, let alone adding the pieces they need to be better. They're lucky they're in a terrible division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

What your describing right here is how literally every team already operates. Being competitive then entering a rebuild once that window shuts. It’s not a particularly new or even avoidable thing

Well good teams do that. I’m just annoyed because people always spout out, “the cap isn’t real”, when that is only the case for a little bit, then it becomes very very real. People act like you can put that poo poo off in perpetuity.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

The saints somehow just gave David Carr a ton of money

Yea by giving him a $60 million signing bonus, which is kind of absurd. Never understood how bonuses apparently don’t count against the cap.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mitch allegedly had great practices too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

After much meditation I have decided I really like the trade. I was hoping for a pick somewhere around 5-6 this year, but getting Moore is a big get. My guess is Panthers pick is in the middle of the draft next year, which is still really nice. Bears fill a big need already and set up to fill a few more needs in the draft.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Carolina could be playing a long game where they trade up to 1 with the hopes that Houston will now try to trade with them to move up to that spot, and Carolina still likely gets their guy. I have no clue who Houston has been favoring though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe he's asking for a lot of blouses to be included, or possibly a little red corvette?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m sad Monty is gone.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

i was thinking this was an exaggeration, but any qb better than trubs gets you past philly, new orleans, the Rams (who the bears had already destroyed) and then that lovely new england team that beat the rams 13-3

They wouldn’t have even played Philly. They were lone win in the regular season from getting a bye. They lost to GB by 1, and Miami and the NYG in OT. They would’ve won at least one of those games with Mahomes, possibly all three and gotten the 1 seed. That whole season was a series of just missed wins.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sataere posted:

I feel like if nobody volunteers, the NFL will push for the Bears. I don't think there is a more compelling team. New stadium. Huge free agency class coming in. Justin loving Fields. This poo poo is how you grow your brand and I feel like Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles would be about that.

Yea the new stadium 10 years in the future will be compelling. Agreed on the other stuff though, this feels like a year where the r bears make sense to be on hard knocks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, Montgomery is a power, bruising running back, not a speedster. He also wasn't great at blocking or receiving.

He's a "nice to have," not "must-have," player.

He’s a good receiver and ok blocker. Better than Herbert in both areas. This actually has a good comparison.

https://www.dabearsblog.com/2023/how-valuable-is-david-montgomery-part-2

The Bears might actually miss him as a safety outlet receiver.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

A lot of the people I lived with at Tech loved college football, so watching Michigan was also my entry point. I still cheer for them as long as they're not playing the Gophers.

Did you go to Michigan Tech?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I-88 from Aurora to the Mississippi is pretty loving flat too. The Mississippi palisades are pretty nice if you want to natural landscapes in the middle of the Midwest.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This but the smell of the sugar beet factories along the ND border

Cedar Rapids, IA had a very strong cereal smell last time I was there. I swear it permeated the whole city.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Seems like a decent trade for both teams. Jets don't completely cripple themselves for a guy who will likely only play 1-2 more years. If they think Rodgers was their last piece to make a serious Super Bowl run, then they have their piece. If he doesn't work out, then they can reset in a couple years and try again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is so loving funny that his career is an exact mirror of favre

Kirk will leave the Vikings just in time for Aaron to get one last year in purple.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Didn't the Bears do that with Mike Glennon, too? Signed to be the starter, then trade up to draft Mitch?

Yea, and if I recall, glennon wasn’t happy about it. Although I don’t know how that guy didn’t realize he was a transition QB.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I would be very happy to have Packers fans deal with an incompetent GM for a while instead of the Bears.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The highway where he keeps his billboards

So when does Tristate Urlacher get to college?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My hope for the Bears this year is 7 wins, which I think is totally doable. They could’ve won like 5 games last year with just a tiny amount of better luck.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Fritz Kaegi is the best.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I can’t read the article, but since the bears just bought the property, doesn’t everyone know exactly what the property is worth? Unless he’s assessing it way higher than the purchase price, seems like an easy thing to calculate.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

I honestly didn't even remember that Arlington Heights was in Cook County, I could have sworn it was in Kane.

Cook has the part in the NW that juts out further west than anything else, not sure why though. Hell Streamwood and Barrington Hills are still at least partially in Cook County.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Justin just angling to be the next McCaskey family accountant.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The only show I'd watch about a restaurant in river north would be one set in the Rock N Roll McDonald's.

Can we still resurrect Wesley Willis?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Metapod posted:

Chicago's Big10 team Ohio State has won many championships

There are at least 5 other big 10 teams with bigger fan bases in chicago than OSU.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Both Michigans, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, maybe Indiana?

Add Purdue to that list too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

"Okay guys, flipcup, Big Ten vs Ivys" is the single most cursed sentence I've heard at a happy hour and it occurred in Chicago. Total agreement.

I hope you pushed them all into the river.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Jimmys pizza cafe in chicago does NYC style and it is very good. The real appeal to NY style is just picking up a slice, both chicago styles are not really conducive to getting a quick slice.

I’d still take deep dish, tavern style, or Detroit style pizza over NY style though, if given a choice.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

My favorite pizza place in Portland is detroit style—it’s been the trendy pizza style for a couple years now and can find it a lot of places these days

And poo poo what happened to boiler room? I know I could google it but gotta maintain off season engagement. Used to live across the street and remember when the pbj was something absurd like $7. Dante’s was my favorite ny style slice tho

Tavern style owns. There’s a place here in Portland that claims to do it and specifically Chicago influenced yet like none of their pizzas include sausage so gently caress off

I think boiler room just had a cash flow problem. Tried to find a buyer and that fell through, so just one day they were closed. Pandemic probably hosed them because they had a big space in a trendy neighborhood.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You might be right. I just remember it closed suddenly and without warning, which is usually a sign that they ran out of money. Probably a combo of both because if you’re getting bought out, usually there’s an announcement ahead of time, not just posting a sign in the door that we’re closed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well if I didn’t hate Cutler before, I do now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea I give the bears like a 1% chance of moving on from Arlington. Maybe if Naperville or wherever decided to give them a shitload of land for free, but I don’t see that happening. They’re just trying to get relief from Arlington, and I hope they just tell the bears to pound sand.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

There are rumors I think that the NFL wants to do a game in France soon. So probably just part of marketing the product.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The rain didn't help. It took a mediocre offense and turned them really bad.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sorry Atlanta.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The dude doesn't even have the signatures yet as far as I can tell. This is just some dude saying he's starting a petition drive. It's nothing until the guy can collect 6,500 signatures.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

HOF game is thursday right?

Preseason doesn't count. This is actually one my least favorite times of the year. Mitch trained me to hate training camp hype, and watching preseason games is just awful. Just get me real football!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

If only the team had a bunch of cap space to sign good lineman. Oh well...

This is the kind of training camp reporting I'm used to for the Bears.

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/1686796016215879699

4 wins here we come.