Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
My Mohel used a Funko Pop Izmel

#nevertoolate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have a few that I got as gifts for whatever reason. My wife was into them for a while but sold most of the rare ones for like a $1000 profit which was a big lol.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Treecko posted:

Imagine I put the divorce court beanie baby picture here

I feel like Amanda wouldn't mind tossing her half in the trash if she got any funkos

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Honestly if funko pops are the biggest concern in your marriage, you’re probably doing pretty good, although I have no idea how much they cost or if $120-$150 a month would buy a reasonable number of pops.

On the other hand, the weird post about the guy that stared at funko pops as he lost his virginity is probably a good reason to not own any.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Hmmm, I think I’ll start a collection of identical hunks of plastic in different Colours.

These are 10 cents of plastic for 30 bucks! The value must be skyrocketing!!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I had one Funko Pop my mom got me: it was Charlie Brown as a vampire for Halloween, and she bought it because she thought it was cute (and it was on deep clearance after Halloween).

I thrifted it in December with a bunch of other stuff.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saalkin posted:

I've had a funko pop stuck up my rear end for at least 3 years. I can't get it out but I've grown accustomed to the pain. I think it's green goblin from Spiderman but I can't remember at this point.

It's probably Greedo from Star Wars.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Get on eBay and filter for sold auctions, then take a look at the highest amounts

It’s unreal. I’ve never given these things more than a passing glance

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
For every funko pop you won't buy I won't buy 2!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
can't wait to show off my support for media property by buying a featureless lump of plastic

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I have several in my classroom. I teach a class on robotics, so I have collected quite a few robots of various manufacture over the years. (most were gifts.) They are displayed on a shelf at the front of the room, next to some real robots we use in class.

Horror of horrors! All of my robots are OUT OF THE PACKAGING AND JUST SITTING THERE ON THE SHELF, GETTING ALL DUSTY AND DROPPING IN VALUE SECOND BY SECOND!!!!!

(There's also an Egon Spengler Funko up there. It was a gift from one of my coworkers, because I'm considered kind of an Egon personality. This started because long time ago there was another science teacher who worked here who I hung out with. The staff referred to us as "Ray and Egon". This tradition was started by his wife, who also taught at this school.)

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I own a bunch of twin peaks funko pops, and 2 drag race funko pops. These were gifts from friends and loved ones. hth, op

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hammerite posted:

how are james and amanda doing these days

He’s part of a Facebook group I’m in, and despite his penchant for those plastic demons and a level of memorabilia collecting that doesn’t interest me in the slightest… he seems a good dude. Does a lot of stuff for charity and seems well liked.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I don't think I own any? I might've gotten one years ago as a Christmas present or some poo poo, I don't think I have any though. Certainly haven't bought any, they generally look hideous.

Except the Grogu (Baby Yoda) from Mandalorian, that Funky Pop is basically on-character design. If I bought one it'd probably be that, but I haven't.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

steinrokkan posted:

Are these things actually still popular, or have they been replaced by another form of landfill fodder?

How very interesting that you ask that exact question - and, for that matter, that this thread was made - on the day when it's been announced that this is actually what's happening?

quote:

Funko Is Sending $30 Million Worth of its Products to a Landfill
One man's trash.

Funko, the toy and collectible manufacturer best known for its Funko Pop Vinyls line, is sending at least $30 million worth of its products to a landfill.

As reported by Kotaku, Funko revealed during an earnings call that it has so much idle stock sitting in warehouses that, financially, its best option is to throw $30 to $36 million worth in the garbage.

"Inventory at year-end totalled $246.4 million, an increase of 48% compared to a year ago," Funko said "This includes inventory that the Company intends to eliminate in the first half of 2023 to reduce fulfilment costs by managing inventory levels to align with the operating capacity of our distribution centre. This is expected to result in a write down in the first half of 2023 of approximately $30 to $36 million."

CEO Brian Mariotti said during an investors call that one distribution centre was so full that Funko was renting shipping containers to hold the excess stock.

Funko certainly has had its foot on the gas when it comes to producing new lines of its Pop Vinyls. Alongside having a ton of iconic ranges with characters from Marvel, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and DC, there are also plenty of more obscure series including Pets, Conan O'Brien, NBA, Ad Icons, and more.

A dozen or so figures are launching just this month too, including a glow in the dark Shazam, the 1989 Batman, Walt Disney on a train, and more.

Like I said, what a coincidence that this thread and these posts were made on the same day as it's reported that the company is taking a huge bath on it all! Could it be that this is the day that the Funko bubble...popped?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I have a few that I got as gifts for whatever reason. My wife was into them for a while but sold most of the rare ones for like a $1000 profit which was a big lol.

Your wife will go down in history as the only person to make money from funko pops.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have a guy fieri one and im looking to procure a garfield one

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

numberoneposter posted:

i have a guy fieri one and im looking to procure a garfield one

pm me. I got the rare garfield one where they forgot to edit out the butthole

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
diversify your portfolio

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Your wife will go down in history as the only person to make money from funko pops.

Yeah, honestly she’s pretty savvy with that stuff. She went hard into rare houseplants during Covid lockdowns and then sold off a bunch at peak right before things started dropping.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

love the nerds making fun of the funkos then admitting they own one lol but theirs is good

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Das Boo posted:

I own one:

A birthday gift, and possibly of the only reasonable Funko line in existence.

gently caress. I have this one, too. It is also the only reasonable one in a long line of plastic junk.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Jelly posted:

I am mere blocks from the headquarters if anyone needs me to pick something up

Hows the kurdish bakery in Everett? I was gonna go but it was too early in the day last time I was up there

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

kazr posted:

love the nerds making fun of the funkos then admitting they own one lol but theirs is good

I have a kazr funko pop

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i don't have funko pops. they always had the worst display at toy fair because their whole aesthetic is poo poo and if u enjoy it ur hosed up

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

kazr posted:

Funko pops are like pets. One or two is perfectly fine but when you got a room full of them your house probably smells bad and you need help.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A friend bought me one as a gift because they know I love mst3k

It seems like it's less objectionable than most?

Still trash ofc.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

who even wants these things?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Fanelien posted:

who even wants these things?

The same people whose bedding consists of fleece Rick & Morty throws from Five Below.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Wait it's dolls not some kind of candy?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I own one:

A birthday gift, and possibly of the only reasonable Funko line in existence.

I hope whoever you gave that too will hate you forever

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Funko’s business model is super predatory to retailers too. The figures that actually sell to offset the case prices are so rare that smaller mom and pop shops end up drowning in a million unsold fuckin’ basic figures that Target and Walmart can blow out for cheap as poo poo and they have to keep ordering cases and lines they have no customer base for to keep Funko happy otherwise they get cut off.

Also they just fired their like most senior designer because he dared put his name on a petition to get the staff designers better pay and Funko slash his job along with the other 10% because of “uncertain times”.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
who the gently caress buys funko pops. I honestly don't understand how long it has survived

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

who the gently caress buys funko pops. I honestly don't understand how long it has survived

Techbros bought them. Now that layoffs in the tech industry have started they aren't buying anymore.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Is there a GWB funko

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
George W. Bush's eyes really were funko pop level beady

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Private Cumshoe posted:

George W. Bush's eyes really were funko pop level beady

would you say "They poped"?

That was horrible, sorry

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I have a bunch of them, one person got me one as a gift and it snowballed as other people thought " he likes these things, lets get him more"

I know the goon response should be to violently throw it back in their face in disgust and :sever: but instead I just say "thank you" and put them on the shelf

Agent Escalus posted:

How very interesting that you ask that exact question - and, for that matter, that this thread was made - on the day when it's been announced that this is actually what's happening?

Like I said, what a coincidence that this thread and these posts were made on the same day as it's reported that the company is taking a huge bath on it all! Could it be that this is the day that the Funko bubble...popped?

good old capitalism, can't just give them away can we, dumping them in landfill is the only solution

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dragonstoned posted:

I have a bunch of them, one person got me one as a gift and it snowballed as other people thought " he likes these things, lets get him more"

I know the goon response should be to violently throw it back in their face in disgust and :sever: but instead I just say "thank you" and put them on the shelf

good old capitalism, can't just give them away can we, dumping them in landfill is the only solution

who do you have, and can you tell the difference without the boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The funko pops eyes are like that because of adrenochrome, the garbage dump story is an op