Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i collect a lot of dumb stuff but this seems like a bridge too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Name the dumb stuff and let the thread be the judge

vintage dungeon crawler board games, tabletop gaming miniatures (some GW but i don't really "collect" GW beyond mordheim), i have a bunch of signed prints from classic d&d & fantasy book cover artists, first edition sword & sorcery paperbacks & hardbacks, arkham house 1st editions

edit: tiki mugs

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

My cat puked on my copy of The New Dungeon! :(

i dont have the 1989 edition but i do have the old one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that leather couch and dusty bookshelf certainly says dungeons to me

not a couch it's a knockoff (plycraft) eames recliner from the 70s. dust is authentic

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I was gonna give you a pass but that tiki poo poo, eesh I dunno

mainly my wife's thing. she gets them from tiki bars when she travels for work

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

look at dumbass that only looks at the focus of a picture.

Oh, so it definitely a dungeon

Also why is it so loving hard to spell dungeon?

it's in my wizard's lair.

they deleted the collections subforum but i would have liked to post about my books in there. i recently got a 1st edition of "the king in yellow"

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Are you the "Buff Wizard" from those D&D fanarts?

i haven’t mastered the spell that lets me finish a cut at a respectable bf % like he has

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Real talk
Old books are cool. I got a first print of Wiseguy, the book Goodfellas was based on

that’s super cool. the best thing to do with books is pick a niche and start putting together a curated collection. i have some misc other 1st editions (signed 1st of cash by johnny cash) but my focus is on arkham house right now.

there was a recent auction in chicago that had an incredible collection of arkham house. they were really nice editions and i lost every auction i tried to go for. it was a short notice auction for me so i wasn’t ready to spend the money. i was still hoping for either the shunned house or outsiders and others by lovecraft but they wound up going for a little more than i could swing

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

zarbicore posted:

I have friends who do this poo poo, and whilst I personally would never do that as it is just way too nerdy for even me, I at least admire that the hobby takes some skill. Way more skill than following lego instructions like me anyway.

do you really think painting 40k minis is more nerdy than collecting star wars legos?

i also collect nerd hobby tier lists so i’d appreciate you putting one together asap

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm not a collector. I was just at a used bookstore in New York like 20 years ago and saw it and picked it up. I don't even have it anymore. It's in my best friends bathroom

dont let it fall in the toilet or it will go from near fine to vg+

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I trust him. No worries.
If it did, who would care? Not me. I already read it.

hmmm very strange. these books are not for reading though?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what kind of idiot would buy a book then not read it

you read them on kindle or a different later printing if it’s available 🙄

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Full Metal Jackass posted:

There comes a certain point in your life where decorations or collecting anything sucks because it's just another thing to dust.

my shelves have glass doors so i rarely have to dust them

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Slugworth posted:

As a scale modeler, yes, it's definitely nerdier than Lego. Lego is way more mainstream. Nobody is buying 1:35 scale Friends models to build and carefully paint.

Unless we're doing that self love thing where you should be proud of your nerdy hobbies, in which case, yes, neither one is any nerdier than being on a softball team with the guys from work.

the gauge here is how much dignity you retain if you had to explain your hobby to another adult

id say scale modeling > warhammer > collecting star wars legos >>> funko pops

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Yeah well I cant afford glass because of paying for all these funko pops.

dont they come in boxes with little built in windows already installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

tough thing about funko pops is people want them mint in box but how are you supposed to test the bobble if you don't take them out?