Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Defenceless?

Great to see you LPing this game, Cyrahzax. I was just thinking about the LPs of the first two parts of the series the other day, and Choice of Games would ever produce the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
"What of the common people? I have heard rumours of riots…"

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

"What of the common people? I have heard rumours of riots…" I'm just interested to see if he has an opinion on that or not.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

ach, that's doesn't bodes well.

I wouldn't say that, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think it was worth it. This game is just a lot to digest, as we'll see.

Dong Quixote posted:

Great to see you LPing this game, Cyrahzax. I was just thinking about the LPs of the first two parts of the series the other day, and Choice of Games would ever produce the third.

Happy to see you back too, and that I do finally have the chance to lp this one.

Right now though, it looks like we have a tie between the common people and leaving the realm defenseless. Next vote wins, but while we wait for that I've set up some links to the in-game lore reference guide. Good refresher, and there are some new sections too.

Oh, and I've also been contacted by the author, Paul Wang. If anyone has any questions you'd like me to send his way, please post them!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I wouldn't say that, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think it was worth it. This game is just a lot to digest, as we'll see.

Happy to see you back too, and that I do finally have the chance to lp this one.

Right now though, it looks like we have a tie between the common people and leaving the realm defenseless. Next vote wins, but while we wait for that I've set up some links to the in-game lore reference guide. Good refresher, and there are some new sections too.

Leaving the realm defenseless. Surely he's not that dense?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Oh, and I've also been contacted by the author, Paul Wang. If anyone has any questions you'd like me to send his way, please post them!

Can my no-post Choice of Games account be allowed to post in the Infinityverse topics?

As for a semi-real question: When can I finally pal around with Viscount Weir?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

"Does he truly mean to leave the realm defenceless?"

quote:

"I do not think so," Hawthorne answers, "but it does not matter. In between the cost of servicing our wartime debt and the grain subsidies, the Crown has barely enough revenue as it is. Take away the war taxes, and we shall perhaps have just enough money remaining to maintain a small engraving of a frigate and a corporal's guard."

He lets out a sigh as he looks to you approvingly. "No, whatever his intentions, Wulfram's policy will only bring us ruin, you did well to speak out against it."

"Did I? The chamber didn't seem to think so."

"Someone had to. If not me, then who?"

"I just wanted everyone to know where I stand, that was all."

"Really? I thought it was rather forward of me."

quote:

As of the Autumn of the 613 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Sancroix, Baron Somewhere Awful
Lieutenant-colonel, Royal Dragoons (half-pay)

Current Funds: 550 Crown
Debts: 15895 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 180 Crown

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%

Health: 40%

Idealism: 54%Cynicism: 46%
Ruthlessness: 87%Mercy: 13%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

You can speak, read, and write the Antari language.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 8, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

What is his stance on fanfiction/fangames set in Infinite Sea setting?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

"Really? I thought it was rather forward of me." we are a military officer who commanded squadrons, we are supposed to be shy, bashful and barely able to speak to our crash lady Welles

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
"Really? I thought it was rather forward of me." What with the king seeming bemused and our silent reception.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It seems like Infinite Sea Europe didn't have Greco-Roman \ democratic traditions, and our parliament doesn't even have the limited concern with votes actual 19th century Brits had. Any particular reason?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

"Did I? The chamber didn't seem to think so."

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We do have answers on all three questions, and if anyone has any more, feel free to ask!

McTimmy posted:

As for a semi-real question: When can I finally pal around with Viscount Weir?

Paul Wang posted:

For the record: Weir doesn’t show up in Lords of Infinity. I’m toying with the idea of just having him never show up in person at all ever, as a joke.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What is his stance on fanfiction/fangames set in Infinite Sea setting?

Paul Wang posted:

Also, I am legally required to remind people not to try to make money off fan content based on my work. That being said, I loving love it when people are willing to put in the time and effort to create their own content based on anything I’ve made. The fact that they’re willing to do so is one of the highest compliments I feel like any creator can get, and I absolutely try to keep track of fan stuff when it pops up.

Xander77 posted:

It seems like Infinite Sea Europe didn't have Greco-Roman \ democratic traditions, and our parliament doesn't even have the limited concern with votes actual 19th century Brits had. Any particular reason?

Paul Wang posted:

I feel like votes are sort of background noise in the story at times, but the canvassing and the rallying of votes definitely is a thing that happens (you can overhear Wulfram discussing it more than once on his path), and that can affect the MC at certain points as well.

Of course, one of the other things is that the Cortes is a fundamentally feudal body, definitely far more so than that of the 19th century British Parliament - which leads to a body with a somewhat different character, and means that the main political conflict isn’t between Liberalism/Constitutionalism and Absolutism, but between Absolutism-which-might-devolve-into-Constitutionalism-if-we’re-lucky and the vision of a sort of Bastard Feudal oligarchy.

And we are continuing:

"Really? I thought it was rather forward of me."

quote:

"It is not the custom, certainly," Hawthorne admits, "but that custom is one born of no more than fear."

He nudges his chin at the doors leading to the Cortes Chamber. "That room does something to a man. You go in believing that you are on the side of all the Saints, and suddenly you find yourself surrounded by the most powerful lords in the realm, men who could break you as easily as breathing. It's easy for a man to shut himself up in a place like that, especially on his first day. 'Next time,' he tells himself, 'next time, I will speak out,' but he never does, his silence becomes habit, and all of his good intentions come to naught."

Hawthorne gives you a sad little smile. "It took me eight years before I worked up the courage to say a word in that Chamber, and on a far less important matter than this. That makes you a braver man than I."

"One ought to stand up for one's beliefs, regardless of the risk."

"Or perhaps a more foolish one. I've made enemies today."

"You're assuming my intentions are entirely honest."

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 8, 2023

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
"Or perhaps a more foolish one. I've made enemies today."

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

"One ought to stand up for one's beliefs, regardless of the risk." And regardless of whether what we believe in is opportunities to commit war crimes.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

let's be honest about being dishonest, that makes a lot of sense.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Regallion posted:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Regallion posted:

I can get behind this idea.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

You've heard poo poo about me, I know that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The true art of dishonesty is not showing your hand at the first opportunity.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

We do have answers on all three questions, and if anyone has any more, feel free to ask!
That's not quite what I meant, though the miscommunication might be indicative of something. Yes, the parliament votes on things, and resolutions require votes. But parliament members are not elected (unless I entirely missed something \ major changes took place between the writing process and the published game).

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
1. Was it mentioned how did things progress from "Antar declares war on Tierra" to "Tierra lands troops on Antar"? I honestly don't remember if it's discussed or not.
2. There's a number of supplemental articles about the setting in the authors website - am I correct in assuming that it is not in the "goodies" section if you buy it on steam or the like?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

And one more answer:

Xander77 posted:

That's not quite what I meant, though the miscommunication might be indicative of something. Yes, the parliament votes on things, and resolutions require votes. But parliament members are not elected (unless I entirely missed something \ major changes took place between the writing process and the published game).

Paul Wang posted:

No, the Lords of the Cortes aren’t elected. The Tierran Cortes is fundamentally a feudal body representing the interests of the titled and landed nobility, rather than a modern representative body which is supposed to represent the interests of everyone (or at least wealthy commoners and gentry in addition to the peerage).

One of the causes of the institutional breakdown which is already in the process of happening is that even though the Cortes nobility talk a good game about wanting to fix the country, they’re not willing to countenance any changes which undermine their own interests (like, you know, maybe taxing the aristocracy). There are reasons for that (estate management will hit you with them real hard), but fundamentally, the problem is that the Cortes nobility seek to preserve their class interests above the public interest - and nobody has the institutional power to tell them off except maybe the Crown.

This probably isn't too spoilery, but it does mention some later book stuff.

Gun Jam posted:

1. Was it mentioned how did things progress from "Antar declares war on Tierra" to "Tierra lands troops on Antar"? I honestly don't remember if it's discussed or not.
2. There's a number of supplemental articles about the setting in the authors website - am I correct in assuming that it is not in the "goodies" section if you buy it on steam or the like?

1. I believe Sabres does mention how the war started and is going, and both Sabres and Guns have State of the War sections that go into more detail on the war's larger-scale progression. This game has an equivalent that we'll start seeing after we're out of the prologue.

2. Correct, those aren't in game, they're on both Paul Wang's website and Patreon.

quote:

"I am," Hawthorne admits. "Perhaps I am mistaken in doing so, but the dissemblers generally tend to avoid making a stand on their first day. It does not do their schemes well to make enemies. Until I am proven otherwise, I can only assume you are the plain-spoken soldier you appear to be."

Before the other baron can say more, the two of you are approached by a slim, elegant figure, his resplendent white-and-sky-blue Lancer's uniform setting him apart from the mass of sombre black frock coats.

Hawthorne turns to greet him. "Lord Palliser, a pleasure."

"Good t'see you again," Palliser replies in a clipped, dandyish accent.

Sir Louis-Auguste d'al Palliser led the Cavalry Brigade at the decisive Second Battle of Kharangia. For his role in that victory, the King made him Viscount Palliser, a victory title which held no estates but gave him the right to sit on the Cortes.

He turns to you next, offering his hand. "M'best wishes on y'investiture, and y'first day in th' chamber, Lord Somewhere Awful. Suppose it gives y'something t'do, now that y'on half-pay and all, wot?"

"Perhaps, but first I must put my estate to rights."

"In truth, I miss the army already."

"I do not think I am cut out for this sort of thing."

"Someone must defend the army's interests."

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Can we get +5% management or something?
i need to fix my estate

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Been too long since we killed someone, y'know?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

1. I believe Sabres does mention how the war started and is going, and both Sabres and Guns have State of the War sections that go into more detail on the war's larger-scale progression. This game has an equivalent that we'll start seeing after we're out of the prologue.

2. Correct, those aren't in game, they're on both Paul Wang's website and Patreon.

1. Having just binged-read a play through on another forum - it does not.
2. So, here's an improvement suggestion to Paul Wang.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Where's all the killing outside the army?

Qs for Paul.

I was rereading some of the extra articles and was going by the Welles Report Part VII mentions four Dragoons were knighted. Cazarosta is one for sure and presuming the PC for the second but the only other one of note we know is Keane who I don't recall ever being called Sir. So whom are the other two?

Oh, and which of the Steam or COG website purchases would have you see more of a return so I know which one to purchase.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 9, 2023

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Gun Jam posted:

1. IIRC, Antar's attack was defeated by the navy, which is traditionally the more important branch of British Tierran service. Sabres starts in the first months of the counter-invasion.

2. For anyone wondering: https://cataphrak.com/patreon-content/patreonsoldiers_guide/

It stops just short of the events of this game, but does reveal a lot of background info for the first two.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

"In truth, I miss the warcrimes army already."

Xander77 posted:

1. IIRC, Antar's attack was defeated by the navy, which is traditionally the more important branch of British Tierran service.

Rule Spaintannia, Spaintannia rules the waves!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I miss the army already.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

We kinda left the old homestead in a bit of a state.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I miss the army already.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Not enough warcrimes outside the army.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Miss.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Regallion posted:

Can we get +5% management or something?

Management is a bit more involved than that, as we'll see. And McTimmy, I sent your questions along

quote:

"Y'not the only one, I can tell you that," Palliser admits. "I've got a townhouse off Saint Octavia's Park, holding a dinner there tonight, informal thing, no ladies, all old Antar men, like ourselves. Be honoured if you'd come. You'd be welcome too, my lord," he adds to Hawthorne before turning to you. "We ain't have had much powder or shot in Antar without old Hawthorne herding the cats up at Grenadier Square, wot?"

The other baron offers a pained smile. "Very kind of you, but I fear I must sail for Fernandescourt early tomorrow, and I must see if I can't convince Cunaris to take on the Councilor-Militant's office."

Now that is interesting: your regimental colonel and immediate superior is being considered for the role of the senior soldier in the kingdom. Granted, he would take command of a much-diminished army, but it would be a fine reward for a man who already lost the use of his legs in the service of Crown and Kingdom.

"What of the Duke of Havenport? Is he not still Councillor-Militant?"

"Why Cunaris, in particular?"

"Does His Majesty approve?"

"What if Cunaris refuses?"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Why Cunaris?

The answer to the first is obvious (Havenport is being retired) and the answer to the third is obviously His Majesty approves or this wouldn't be happening, but I would like to know why His Majesty wants our old CO in particular.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Crazycryodude posted:

Why Cunaris?

The answer to the first is obvious (Havenport is being retired) and the answer to the third is obviously His Majesty approves or this wouldn't be happening, but I would like to know why His Majesty wants our old CO in particular.

Good reasoning. Why Cunaris?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

And hey, we got those answers:

McTimmy posted:

Qs for Paul.

I was rereading some of the extra articles and was going by the Welles Report Part VII mentions four Dragoons were knighted. Cazarosta is one for sure and presuming the PC for the second but the only other one of note we know is Keane who I don't recall ever being called Sir. So whom are the other two?

Paul Wang posted:

I’m going to keep those in my back pocket for now. Let’s just say one’s dead, and the other’s retired.

McTimmy posted:

Oh, and which of the Steam or COG website purchases would have you see more of a return so I know which one to purchase.

Paul Wang posted:

I think the CoG website gives me more since the platform doesn’t take a cut (or rather, the platform’s cut is also the publisher’s cut).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Why Cunaris?

That is a really good question.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Why cuno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

D. gently caress does Cuno care?