Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like we're pretty united in opinion here, let's continue:

"Why Cunaris, in particular?"

quote:

"Who better?" Hawthorne asks. "His military credentials are above reproach, his duchy practically runs itself, and he is seen as a man above political faction. What's more, his daughter is Duchess of Wulfram. If any man could talk sense into Young Wulfram's head, it is his father-by-marriage."

He shakes his head. "With Havenport too preoccupied with his clan's business to maintain himself at Grenadier Square, Cunaris is the best candidate for the job."

Viscount Palliser nods in agreement. "You was in his brigade at Second Kharangia, weren't you? Had a hard job of it, but Cunaris held on 'til me Lancers arrived. Ain't a better man for the job, I'd say, eh?" "In any case, my lords, I bid you joy of the evening," Hawthorne concludes. "Yes, of course," Palliser replies. "Good luck then, eh?"

Hawthorne gives one final nod before retreating back into the throng.

Palliser watches him go. "Shame thet. Hawthorne always knows what he's about when it comes to supply lines and billeting, demmed useful fellow him," he says regretfully before turning to you. "But you'll come, won't you Somewhere Awful? Lord Marcus will be there, two half-pay captains from your regiment too. Blaylock and Sandoral, they was yours, weren't they?"

You give it a thought. The promise of familiar faces and familiar subjects is a tempting one. The war was a terrible ordeal, yet as soon as it ended, some dark part of you started yearning for it again. You must admit, the chance to talk about it with old comrades and acquaintances is—

"I beg pardon, I pray I am not interrupting."

You turn to the source of this new voice, somewhat annoyed at having your thoughts so suddenly interrupted.

That's when you find yourself face to face with the Duke of Wulfram.

quote:

Lord Palliser inclines his head ever so slightly. "Not at all, Your Grace."

"I assure you, I shan't detain you for long," Wulfram says genially. "I merely wished to offer my congratulations to the newest Lord of the Cortes."

He turns to you. "Welcome, Lord Somewhere Awful. The chamber is made better for having one in it."

You say the only thing one can say when complimented by a Duke of the Unified Kingdom: "Thank you, Your Grace."

"I've also come to offer an invitation," Wulfram continues. "I've a dinner engagement at the Rendower Club this evening. I'd be quite pleased if you could join us."

An invitation for dinner with the Duke of Wulfram at his private club, that would certainly be an honour. But what of Palliser's own invitation? What of old comrades and the brotherhood of war? One cannot very well be in two places at once. And besides, what reason would Wulfram have to invite you to such a thing? After all, you just spoke out against him in the chamber, does that not make you enemies?

And we have some optional questions here that carry no penalty for asking, when these come up I'll always just go through them.

quote:

"I beg your pardon. What is the Rendower Club?"

"The Rendower?" Palliser seems genuinely surprised that you haven't heard of it. "Dear fellow, the Rendower ain't but the oldest club in Aetoria, and the most prestigious. Y'need royal blood just to be considered for entry." He seems about to say something else, but evidently thinks better of it.

"It's not quite as exclusive as it sounds," Wulfram replies with the twitch of a smile. "Practically every noble house in the Duchy of Aetoria has some Rendower blood in them. The House of Rendower is nothing if not prolific. Still, we have an excellent wine cellar and maintain a very fine chef, who was trained all the way in H'onneshanne."

Dinner at the oldest club in the city, with food prepared by a genuine Kian chef. That certainly carries an appeal with it, and if the Rendower truly is as exclusive as Palliser seems to think it is, then you would be rubbing shoulders with some of the most powerful men in the Unified Kingdom.

Wulfram turns to Palliser. "You are welcome to return as well, my lord, should you wish it."

Palliser shakes his head. "I fear I've already an engagement," he admits. "Some other time, eh?"

Wulfram nods before turning back to you. "So? Is it agreed then?" he asks expectantly. "One may be assured that one will never taste a finer roast duck in his life."

quote:

"I'm not sure I understand. I just spoke against you."

"And that is cause to make one an enemy?" Wulfram asks. "I am sure you had your reasons for taking the position you did. What I want to know is what they are, where you stand on things, in your own words. If my conscience requires me to speak against you in the chamber, I would want to make sure that I know that I am speaking against your argument, as you see it, and not some figment conjured up by my own prejudices."

That seems rather good of him. "Your Grace is too kind," you reply.

"It is a matter of simple decency," Wulfram insists. "We are gentlemen of the blood, the least we can do is treat each other as such. Come to the Rendower with me, you will have every opportunity to explain your thoughts without a hundred Lords all trying to shout you down."

"My apologies, Your Grace, but I am already spoken for this evening."

"I'd be happy to accept your invitation, Your Grace."

quote:

As of the Autumn of the 613 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Sancroix, Baron Somewhere Awful
Lieutenant-colonel, Royal Dragoons (half-pay)

Current Funds: 550 Crown
Debts: 15895 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 180 Crown

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%

Health: 40%

Idealism: 49%Cynicism: 51%
Ruthlessness: 87%Mercy: 13%
You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

You can speak, read, and write the Antari language.p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

C'mon, give the guy a chance.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

We shall meet with him, but we must resist all attempts to make us a good person.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Already spoken for

Let's hang with our army buds

Also IIRC regarding the war, it isn't spelled out exactly but The Lords of Antar sent King Miguel an ultimatum and he responded by declaring war & invading Antar. The Antari Lords kept faffing about because none of them trust the others with an army so their response went awry until someone decided to take things into his own hands.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Know your enemy and know yourself. We get to see what he's about, and he us. Also, a difference in policy need not mean necessarily being at each other's throats. Let's go get the intel for the next battlefield instead of reminiscing about the last one.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
We're just hungry, y'know?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

"Very good," Wulfram says with a warm grin. "I shall send a coach to your lodgings at say, eight o'clock. Good evening."

Palliser hides his disappointment well as Wulfram makes his exit. "I assume this means we won't be seeing you this evening? A pity that, a real demmed pity. But I suppose if the Duke of Wulfram offers an invitation, one cannot simply refuse."

"I fear so," you reply, trying not to make your decision look like a snub. "Perhaps some other time?"

The Lancer nods and flashes you one last grin. "Yes, perhaps, but until then, I give you joy of the evening."

And with that, Palliser disappear into the throng, leaving you alone.

quote:

The Duke of Wulfram's coach arrives at eight o'clock precisely. Dressed in your best frock coat and cravat, you take the short journey to re-accustom yourself with the idiosyncrasies of civilian dress. It has been weeks since you returned to Tierra and left active service, but the sensation of knee breeches and walking shoes are still an oddity to a body used to loose dragoon trousers and stiff, hobnailed boots. Hats are another vexation. The sleek bicornes which had been in fashion when the war began are now dreadfully out of date, replaced by tall, cylindrical felt hats with wide brims and flat tops.

Sometimes, you can only sigh in memory of the well-accustomed weight of your dragoon helmet upon your head. If only—

The coach lurches to a stop. You look outside the window to find yourself in an unspeakably fashionable part of the city. No townhouses here, but genuine palaces, with courtyards and carriage-houses and grand mansions done up in grand neo-calligian style. The streets are not choked with the carts and foot traffick of the poor, nor the palanquins of the wealthy, but the magnificent city coaches of families capable of maintaining such an extravagant expense even in this, the most extravagantly expensive of cities.

Indeed, that appears to be the problem.

Had this been any other street in the city, the flow of traffick would have continued, edging past any blockage which might ensue. But there's no squeezing a full-sized coach through the situation you see before you, for the entire length of the street ahead is stopped up by a long queue of such conveyances. At its head, a great crowd of well-heeled passerby and their liveried servants are staring at…at something, and raising no small amount of commotion in doing so.

It seems you are going nowhere anytime soon.

I go and look to see what's going on.

Maybe the coachman knows what's the matter.

I wait. Whatever the issue is, I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Take a look

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

We aren't gonna get there any faster until we solve whatever this is.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Take a look

We're a big boy, we can step out of the carriage and gawk.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

take a look

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Take a look.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You rap your knuckles twice against the lacquered roof. There's a series of rocking thumps. The coach rocks one way, then the other. A moment later, a tall, burly fellow in the Duke of Wulfram's colours appears by the window. "Is there a problem, my lord?" he asks.

"I mean to go on ahead, see what's the matter," you reply.

The coachman looks towards the commotion ahead, then back to you, then back forward, like a clockwork sculpture with a broken cog. Finally, he turns back with a look of resignation and pulls open the door. "Very well, my lord."

You pick your way up the street, careful not to let your soft-soled shoes slip on the slick cobbles—what you would do for a pair of heavy boots right about now—and find yourself joining the rear of the great mass of men and women clustered around the source of the blockage. For a moment, you consider clearing your throat to draw attention to yourself. Were you still in Antar, and were this a crowd of junior officers, such a thing would have been only natural. Faced with a superior officer, they would have cleared the way as a matter of course.

But you are no longer in Antar, or even an officer on the active list. You are merely one gentleman, moderately well-dressed, in a crowd full of them. Instead you resort to jostling and edging your way through the crevices in the throng, until at last, you can get a good view of the cause of all this commotion.

It is not in the least what you could have expected.

quote:

In the clearing ahead, a small-framed man in a soot-stained grey jacket converses excitedly with a pair of Intendancy constables. As he gesticulates wildly with one hand, he wipes at his face with the other, his handkerchief coming away stained grey and black with soot.

Yet the crowd pays them no mind. Indeed, their attention seems to be drawn completely and fully to the contraption sprawled out on the cobblestones, right in the middle of the street.

It is certainly an impressively sized machine, a massive cylinder of wrought iron atop four hugely reinforced wheels, linked together by a spindly mass of rods, sprockets, and pistons. A narrow smokestack is perched atop the frame, though whatever exhaust it might have channelled now pours out the ruptured side of the giant iron chamber, its skin burst open like a sheet of tin by a musket ball. A quartet of limbered cannon sit tethered behind the thing, their presence made forgettable by their sheer mundanity next to such an outlandish machine.

You take a closer look at the machine. It takes you a while to recognise it at last: a vapour engine, devices designed to generate mechanical force from the boiling of water.

But no, that would be ridiculous. Vapour engines are useless showpieces, built by universities in Kian and Takara with too much money and not enough sense—nothing more than inefficient toys which could never output enough power to justify the expense of running one. What such a device is doing here—

That's when you notice that you're not the only one trying to take a closer look at the machinery. Indeed, not half a dozen paces away from you, two figures observe the thing as they converse quietly to each other. One you recognise as the Duke of Wulfram. The other is no less a familiar face: the Earl of Castermaine, formerly General-of-Brigade in the King's Army. What are they doing here?

quote:

I must examine that machine more closely.

You come closer, as close as you dare, given that you are examining a machine which has—judging by the scorch marks on the cobblestone and the debris strewn everywhere—recently exploded.

Unfortunately, you find very little which your first look didn't already uncover. The device's intended purpose as some sort of vehicle is simple enough to discern, as is the reason for its catastrophic failure, but as for the workings of the device itself, those are beyond you.

Perhaps there is some novel conceit behind the machine's operation. That would certainly explain the attempted use of an overgrown curiosity like a vapour engine as its source of motive power. But whatever it is, that is a topic for the discussion of engineers and craftsmen and other such mechanically minded people, not you.

quote:

How is the crowd taking all of this?]

Out of the entire mass of humanity gathered around the machine, you suppose you must be singular in your attention towards the observers, rather than the device they are observing.

In truth though, you find very little of interest. The crowd bears exactly the sort of emotions you might expect of a group of people observing a mechanical curiosity in a state of distress: anxiety, curiosity, a bit of marvel, a bit of fear. Granted, they are, perhaps, a bit more calm than you would have expected from individuals who have just watched a strange machine explode on the street in front of them, but that is hardly out of the ordinary.

No, if there is any insight to be found in the crowd, it is not for the likes of you to find.

quote:

I take a look at those cannon.

Turning your eyes from the centre of the spectacle, you direct your attention to the cannon instead.

At first glance, there is naught amiss with the guns. They're heavy twenty-four-pounders on a field gun carriage, you've seen the like many times before. The weapon itself seems perfectly serviceable and perfectly normal. Perhaps they're on loan from one of the royal armouries. That would mean the Intendancy men were assigned to ensure they weren't lost. The only real question you can think of pertains to their purpose: what are they doing tied to such an outlandish device?

At first, you can only think that the guns were to be used as some sort of anchor, to ensure the machine did not roll away somehow. It is an improbable and impractical explanation to be sure, there are much easier ways to anchor a wheeled cart, most of which do not involve rolling artillery down a publick street, but perhaps there's some other reason.

Unfortunately, the only other possibilities are even more ludicrous. No, the cannon had to have been acting as an anchor for some reason or other. No other explanation makes sense.

quote:

Best I speak to Wulfram and Castermaine.

The Duke of Wulfram looks up as he sees you approaching.

"Lord Somewhere Awful?" he asks, a sudden look of worry on his face. "Where is Forsythe? I ordered him to take you all the way to the club."

"He's still with the coach, Your Grace," you reply. "I saw the commotion and came to take a look for myself."

Wulfram accepts your answer with a nod. "I cannot blame you." He waves a hand at the iron machine before you. "Quite the marvel, isn't it?"

"A marvellous waste of time and effort, perhaps," Castermaine grumbles. "Forgive me, Wulfram, but I fail to see the point of such an extravagance. What wisdom is there in committing such prodigious amounts of material and labour for the sake of…whatever in creation this is."

That begs an interesting question. "I must beg your pardon, but what is this device exactly?"

"I believe it is called a 'traction engine,'" Wulfram replies. "It uses a vapour engine to provide motive force without the use of draught animals. There have been quite a few such experiments in Aetoria over the past few years. More in Tannersburg, as well."

"A passing fad, no doubt," Castermaine grumbles. "It's all young men with too much money and too little sense seeing firms like Garing, Gutierrez, and Truscott make money with their new designs for artillery and thinking they can do the same, only with ridiculous contraptions like this instead of something practical."

Wulfram frowns. "Unlike cannon, these 'ridiculous contraptions,' as you call them, may have use in ways beyond making it easier for us to kill one another. A traction engine like that one could be of great use pulling heavy loads."

"A team of horses can do the same work," Castermaine replies with a hint of exasperation. "I have no doubt that a team of horses is a great deal cheaper to acquire and maintain than that monstrosity, as well. Besides…" He nudges his chin at the gouts of steam roiling from the traction engine's wounded flank. "Horses don't explode."

Wulfram inclines his head thoughtfully. "Perhaps you are right, but some of the innovations we've seen over the past few years have certainly been of use. The new streetlamps, for instance. Some of the men running my mining companies have begun using vapour engines to pump water out of deep shafts. Surely, if this war has brought us any positive legacy, it is the wave of invention which it has spurred."

For his part, Castermaine seems less than convinced. "It is a passing fashion, nothing more," he replies. "Give things a few years, and we will all suddenly be taken by some other fancy, and we will realise that water wheels and draught horses were better after all. Machines like this one will be set up as curiosities in some publick square or other, where they belong."

The Duke of Wulfram doesn't reply at first. Then, his brow still furrowed in thought, he turns to you. "What do you think, Somewhere Awful?"

"I fear Lord Castermaine has the right of it. Such inventions are a fad, no more."

"I think these new inventions may be the heralds of a new age of progress."

"I would advise patience, see how these inventions develop before making a judgement."

"I cannot say, sir. I am too ignorant of this matter to form an opinion."

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
we already have a top hat. let's throw some gears on it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We are too dumb

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
"I would advise patience, see how these inventions develop before making a judgement."
edit: my logic being that let's not take sides just yet, but let's not tell people "yeah, we dumb". Cautiously optimistic seems like the way to go.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 12, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
"Such inventions are a fad, no more, unlike cool and good inventions like our new bolt-action rifle."

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, steam engines? wow, that's some good poo poo right there sirrah

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Regallion posted:

Oh, steam engines? wow, that's some good poo poo right there sirrah

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Calling Wulfram “sirrah” is a catastrophically bad idea but steam engines sure seem tight

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Progress!:science:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A new age of progress! It had damned well better be at any rate. Traction engines, our new awesome rifles... Be on the lookout for new tech, Wolfy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
"I cannot say, sir. I am too ignorant of this matter to form an opinion."

We had no idea what this thing did or how the people reacted.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Indeed, imagine how well Blogia may have gone if we'd had a maxim gun?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Castermaine's eyes narrow as he turns to you. "Is that so?" he asks. "Judging from the results of the demonstration before us, one would hardly think to consider such machinery anything more than an expensive way to make loud noises and stop up traffic. So what hidden insight, pray tell, brings you to the belief that they will be of such far-reaching effect?"

In truth, you are not sure you have an answer to Castermaine's questioning, not one he would accept anyway. You spend the next moment or two in a most awkward state.

Ultimately, it is Wulfram who comes to your rescue. "Come now, Castermaine, this is rather unfair. You have put Lord Somewhere Awful on the spot."

"I merely wish to know Lord Somewhere Awful's reasoning for his position," Castermaine replies mildly. "Surely one can understand that. After all, it is you who are always so keen to hear out the opinions of others when they disagree with you. Would it not merely be a matter of fairness to allow me the privilege of asking the same when someone disagrees with me?"

After a moment, Wulfram nods. "Perhaps so," he concedes. "However, there is no need for such an explanation at this very moment. Surely—"

quote:

A fresh commotion rises from the crowd as the clatter of hooves and the high clanging of handbells echoes down the street. The throng parts to reveal another pair of Intendancy constables, followed by a pony-drawn pump cart bearing the colours of one of Aetoria's private fire companies.

"Well, it seems there is nothing more to see here," Wulfram declares as the Intendancy men begin to examine the machine and the crowd finally begins to disperse. "We'd best get moving, the club is only a block down. Castermaine, when we get indoors, might I oblige you to send your man to retrieve Forsythe and my coach?"

Castermaine nods but eyes the still-steaming traction engine warily. "It might be a while before the road is clear. Her Grace may take issue with your lateness. Take my coach instead."

"No worry," Wulfram replies with a slight grin. "The Duchess knows exactly where I am, and I dare hope she trusts me enough not to think ill of me for getting home late." With that, he points his hand down the street, to where the crowd is already melting away into the gaslit gloom. "Now then, shall we get going?"

quote:

The premises of the Rendower Club are practically a palace in their own right. Past the wrought-iron gate and liveried guards, Wulfram leads you through polished oaken doors into an entry hall hung with row upon row of banners emblazoned with the crests of the House of Rendower and its cadet branches. The music of a chamber orchestra wafts down the plushly carpeted corridor from somewhere not too far away. The names of members and former members line the elegantly panelled walls in gilt script, glittering in the lamplight as you pass them by.

Then it is past a reflecting pool topped by a statue of Edwin the Strong and up a staircase, its bannisters worked with gryphons and towers. More footmen await at the top of the stairs. Wulfram and Castermaine hand them their coats and hats without breaking step. You try to do the same. At long last, yet another pair of attendants open a pair of double doors, and the three of you enter into the sanctum beyond… The stateroom of the Rendower Club is filled with the smoky aroma of expensive liquor and the buzz of masculine voices. Everywhere you look, you can see figures in perfectly tailored jackets lounging about in elegant armchairs at tables of the finest Butean wood, drinking, chatting, and generally taking their ease.

Wulfram and Castermaine bring you to each group in turn, introducing you to a selection of names, faces, and titles. You receive a cool reception from most. They're not so uncouth as to be openly rude, but the slight pauses before they introduce themselves and the sidelong looks they give you as they shake your hand are all the indication you need that your political position has made you less welcome here than Wulfram would evidently like you to be.

You try to take your lumps gracefully. The men in this room are some of the foremost in the Unified Kingdom. Even if you are not acquainted with them personally, you can recognise the titles of some of the greatest landowners, financiers, and statesmen in the realm, each passing before you just long enough for you to recognise, and no longer.

In truth, it looks as if the whole of Aetoria's men of high society are here. Only the soldiers are absent. Aside from you and Castermaine, it seems there are few military men here, and when you make inquiries, it appears that almost all of them have spent the entire war at either Grenadier Square or Admiralty House.

Before long, you cannot but begin to feel a little out of place in your surroundings. You've spent most of your adult life as a soldier. In that time, you've become accustomed to being judged as a soldier, for your ability to lead men into battle, not your politickal stances. To be at peace, among men who have spent their entire lives at peace, is an alien experience. Though Wulfram and Castermaine endeavour to make you welcome, you begin to long for a time when the men you spoke to identified more by regiment than by fashion or faction.

When a liveried footman enters to announce that dinner is to be served, it's almost a relief.

quote:

As the guest of honour, you are placed at Wulfram's right-hand side at the head of the table. As the first round of aperitifs are brought out by yet more liveried footmen, the topic of conversation once again turns to the traction engine, with Wulfram enthusiastically extolling its potential to transform the Unified Kingdom's industry, and Castermaine discounting the entire thing as a pointless extravagance.

In a way, they are recapitulating the arguments they made before you not an hour ago, but this time, they do it for the benefit of a much larger audience.

Before long, other club members are joining in with their own thoughts on the matter. By the time the first round of drinks are taken away and the soup is brought out, two friendly but clearly defined factions have formed, one supporting Wulfram, and the other Castermaine. In between mouthfuls of a particularly fine Kian consommé, they argue the matter back and forth, debating the possibility of using vapour engines in fields as diverse as agriculture, road-building, and even the propulsion of ships—a possibility which even Wulfram must admit is patently absurd.

"In any case, I fear that this discussion may yet be premature," Wulfram remarks ruefully as the soup course is being taken away. "Any effect these machines might possibly have on the state of the realm will be severely curtailed, so long as the baneless classes do not have the capital to purchase them or the goods they produce. I fear that as long as His Majesty insists on placing the needs of his army before the needs of the commons, we shall be hard-pressed to maintain the industries we have."

Heads nod, almost in unison. In this, at least, the membership of the Rendower Club seems to be in agreement.

"Then let us not put the cannon before the limber," Castermaine interjects sourly. "Why speak of these fantasies of vapour engines when we must first convince the King to put an end to his war taxes and reduce the army?"

"Indeed," Wulfram replies. "If the realm must beggar itself to support the implements of war, we shall never be able to flourish in peace." He turns to you. "Would you not agree, Lord Somewhere Awful?"

"I would agree wholeheartedly, sir."

"I fear I cannot agree sir, the army must be maintained."

"Can we not find a way to maintain the army and end the war taxes?"

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can't sit on two chairs with one rear end, as the saying goes. We have to choose one or the other. If we're looking to get rich, taxes won't help us.

Agree wholeheartedly

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I fear I cannot agree

No war taxes, no mil-industrial complex, no bolt action rifle profits.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

I fear I cannot agree

No war taxes, no mil-industrial complex, no bolt action rifle profits.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Let's have our cake and eat it, too

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Frankly I just want to see what comes of saying it. Whether there's a real impact or it will just be Wulfram and/or Castermaine saying "NO"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Surely there is some kind of middle ground in between?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

We can't agree because that would make us unreliable and duplicitous (We loving spoke out against ending the taxes in front of the kind, backing down now would be real weird), but let's go for both cheeks

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Castermaine frowns. "Perhaps my lord is not aware of the financial extremities the late war has pushed us to," he replies tautly. "It will not be a simple matter of selling a royal hunting lodge or selling a few baronetcies. The Crown is in dire straits. I daresay that the Saints themselves would be hard-pressed to find a way out of the hole we have spent ourselves into."

Wulfram holds up a hand. "Please, Castermaine, I am sure Lord Somewhere Awful is well aware of the state of the kingdom's finances." He looks to you. "And I trust one already has a measure of some sort in mind?"

"What of the reparations we are owed from Antar?"

"Could we not seek economies elsewhere?"

"Perhaps there is some way to redistribute the burden of taxation?"

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
"What of the reparations we are owed from Antar?" what the hell were we even fighting for?! I WAS IN CHARGE OF MILLION CROWN HORSES, BACK HERE I CAN'T EVEN

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

pay up, bitch

"Could we not seek economies elsewhere?" - buddy, do you think they did not cut literally all the corners? of course they did. Unless this is meant to say "Can we get profits in other markets" in which case, what markets? Not!China? Elves? Lmao.

"Perhaps there is some way to redistribute the burden of taxation?" - lmao, redistribute it where, to the nobles we are talking with? Great suggestion, top notch, won't get us kicked out at all.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Antar must pay for what we've done.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The obvious answer is tax all these nobles in their fancy gilded club but you don't say that to their face, you just skip right to doing it at bayonet-point because judging by real life at least there's approximately a 0% chance they ever agree to it willingly. We'd just get laughed out for suggesting it, so yeah what if we shook down the Antari?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's alter the reparations deal until the Antari pray we don't alter it further.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

We can ask about Antari reparations, but I am anticipating the answer will be either that they don't owe us anywhere near enough, or that Antar can't be trusted to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I've never actually seen what's behind the Antari reparations choice in this scene but my guess is that the Antari are so dysfunctional and riven with rear end-backwards feudal structures that they're even more incapable than we are of extracting money for state business like paying war reparations.