Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
how're we gonna kill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
"I assure you, the regiment shall make itself worthy of such an honour."

Not bad, not bad at all. If Grenadier Square still existed, we’d be able to lord it over all of them.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Seems we'd be in direct conflict with one of our subordinates if we went after regicide

<b> Who you want me to kill, boss? </b>

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sorry for the delay today!

"I assure you, the regiment shall make itself worthy of such an honour."

quote:

The Queen gives you a look of some small amusement. "My lord, we are not in the practise of handing out accolades which are not well-deserved. You may rest assured, sir, that this honour is one that your regiment—and its commanding officer—have already earned. The challenge now is to remain worthy of that honour. We have little doubt that you are equal to such an obligation."

At such words, you feel your heart glow despite yourself. "We shall not fail you, Majesty."

"Then I shall not expect you to," the Queen replies gravely, the weight of her expectations all but implicit in her words.

You nod. "Will that be all, Your Majesty?"

"Not quite," your sovereign replies. "There is another matter of business: we are given to understand that you possess several years of seniority in your current rank?"

You do your best to keep your confusion in check. What is she getting at now? Surely if she wished to ascertain the status of your seniority, she ought to have done so before permanently confirming you to field command of the regiment. "Yes, Majesty, six years next spring."

The Queen nods with satisfaction. "Good, we must suppose that will be sufficient to ensure that you're able to establish your authority in your new responsibilities."

Authority? New responsibilities? "I'm not sure I understand. Your Majesty has just confirmed my command of the regiment. Am I now to be reassigned?"

"Not quite, my lord. You will command the regiment, sir—but you will also command the brigade it is attached to."

A brigade! Imagine what I might accomplish with such a command!

Alas, such a senior command will render me too senior to lead from the front.

How wonderful, I shall rise too high to salvage myself when I inevitably fail.

I cannot say I shall enjoy being responsible for so many lives.

quote:

As of the Winter of the 618 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Sancroix, Baron Somewhere Awful
Lieutenant-colonel, Royal Dragoons

Current Funds: 400 Crown
Debts: 20203 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 270 Crown
Bi-Annual Estate Revenues: 714 Crown

Bi-Annual Estate Expenses: 425 Crown
Bi-Annual Interest Payments: 404 Crown

Total Net Income (Next Six Months): 155 Crown

Soldiering: 20%
Charisma: 46%
Intellect: 55%

Health: 20%

Idealism: 61%Cynicism: 39%
Ruthlessness: 78%Mercy: 22%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

You can speak, read, and write the Antari language.

You are spoken well of within the Royalist Faction.

Your known Royalist loyalties have made you somewhat unwelcome among the Wulframite Faction.

You have some small amount of pull at Grenadier Square.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Option 2 is...largely not us, we suck rear end at frontlining.
Option 3 is...not in the front of the loving queen man.
Option 4 is absolute lol, lmao, we militarize and send people off to die at the drop of a hat.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
How wonderful, I shall rise too high to salvage myself when I inevitably fail.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Regallion posted:

Option 4 is absolute lol, lmao, we militarize and send people off to die at the drop of a hat.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Regallion posted:

Let's keep failing upwards

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

There's little doubt that you could have done much to burnish your reputation and fortunes at the head of a regiment, but to be able to face the oncoming crisis with all the powers and resources of a General-of-Brigade is an entirely different calibre of opportunity altogether. Such an appointment will not only place you firmly in the senior ranks of an army which now very much seems to be headed for a general war, but will give you personal control over a considerable portion of the forces to be involved. Not only will you be responsible for the men of your regiment, but thousands of others, with authority over great swathes of territory and vital aspects of overall strategy. If you succeed in such a high position, you may stand not only to be seen as one of the great protagonists of the conflict to come, but perhaps even a vital element in its successful outcome.

For years, you've always known yourself to possess the spirit and will needed to achieve greatness. All your time as a junior officer, then a squadron commander in Antar had made such a reality clear. Your years as a Lord of the Cortes have only reinforced that belief. Now, at last, you'll have the chance to realise it, to grasp the destiny which you know yourself capable of.

You've always possessed the spirit and the will. Now the Queen has given you the means. If you apply it rightly, then greatness is within your grasp.

quote:

But that's no reason to put the cart before the horse. All you know of your brigade is that you are to have one. To spin hopes and anxieties about your time at its head before you even know of its composition or its purpose would be like loosing sails before fitting the masts.

The Queen, it seems, expected such a line of thinking. She hasn't said anything since announcing the nature of your new assignment, instead opting to simply watch with a faint sense of almost catlike amusement as you consider the consequences of the new powers and responsibilities which she just bestowed upon you.

You suppose it's something of a rhetorical trap, however benign. You get something of a suspicion that it's the sort of thing which the Queen enjoys doing. Given how often you've seen the members of her circle share the same penchant, you cannot help but wonder if this was where they all got it from.

But regardless, you suppose this snare is benign enough. "I have questions, Majesty, about this brigade I am to command."

The Queen smiles, a sparkle of satisfaction behind her eyes. "Of course, my lord. We shall answer as best we can."

Questions:

"What other regiments will make up my new command?"

quote:

The Queen frowns. "That is a question to which nobody has an answer, we fear. The men intended for your command are not the sort who have come already organised. They are not yet formed up into regiments."

It takes a moment before you realise the full implications of your sovereign's words. "Am I to understand that the remainder of my brigade is to be composed entirely of militia and Houseguard units?"

Another might have offered some platitude to soften her answer, a euphemism to make the situation sound better than it is. But the Queen doesn't so much as hesitate. "It does, my lord. We have too little in the way of professional soldiery to concentrate it. Thus, we have chosen to spread those forces as widely as possible amongst those without drill or experience. Your Dragoons will serve as the hard core, to stiffen the resolve of the others and show them the ways and means of soldiering. The remainder will be obliged to learn, and in time become soldiers no less stern in mettle."

You nod. In truth, you couldn't imagine a better way of doing it. True, the Queen would be much better off in the short term by brigading the best parts of her forces together, but where would that leave the rest? She would have at her disposal one force of experienced and disciplined soldiers, but the rest would be little more than rabble, dubiously equipped and trained, the bad habits of civil life reinforcing each other and eroding whatever military air they might have otherwise obtained. Such a force cannot win the war that's coming, where the Queen's forces shall be obliged to be everywhere at once.

"I understand, Majesty," you finally reply. "And I shall endeavour to do my utmost to ensure that your expectations are met."

The Queen smiles. "Good, then on this matter, at least, we understand each other."

"Won't more senior officers take umbrage if I am to receive a brigade before them?"

quote:

The Queen's eyebrow rises with a look of confusion which you cannot help but imagine is half-feigned. "Oh? And why would they do that?"

Another innocent rhetorical trap, you suppose. No harm in springing it. "It is custom for brigade commands to be assigned to the senior-most colonels of the army, lest a more junior officer be placed above one of greater experience," you explain. "If I am to be given a brigade, then those ahead of me in seniority may take some offence that they've been passed over."

Your sovereign doesn't so much smile as she does give you a knowing look. "Rest assured, my lord, we are well aware of that. You need fear no hostility from such men—they will be far too occupied with matters of their own brigades."

It takes half an instant for the Queen's words to make themselves understood, and half a second more for their implications to become clear: the Queen is not only giving you a brigade, but every other active service officer ahead of you in seniority as well: Lefebvre, Palliser, Jamys, Wiltshire, and Saints know who else—a dozen at least.

Just how big of an army is she planning to raise?

And how exactly does she mean to pay for it all?

"How great of an army do you intend to raise?"

quote:

"As great as necessary, my lord," she replies, with an expression that means every word of it. "When our predecessor went to war with the League of Antar, he believed that victory might be achieved with an army of a certain size, provisioned for a certain period of time. He was wrong in his estimation. His attempt to keep to it brought disaster at Blogia and ensured that the final cost would be far greater than it ought to have been."

She fixes you with a look of absolute certainty. "We will not make the same error, we cannot afford to make the same error, with the unity of the realm and the security of the Crown at stake. We intend to commit ourselves fully to the restoration of order and the destruction of those who have rebelled against us—and we intend to draw upon every sinew available to us to see the matter done."

A more earnest declaration of intent you couldn't have asked for—and a more thorough refutation of the prospect of a limited, constrained conflict you couldn't have received. It's clear that the Queen is set upon victory, whatever the price.

You can only imagine at the cost which she might be willing to pay to have it.

Or how she intends to pay for it at all.

"How will the Crown support the expense for so many new soldiers?"

quote:

It is an impertinent thing, to present such a quandary so bluntly to one's sovereign, doubly so to do so regarding an issue of money, but given the current circumstances, you daresay that some manner of explanation must be owed.

After all, it was the expense of maintaining the army in Antar which originated Wulfram's opposition to the Crown in the first place, a fact the Queen well enough knows. How could she countenance the expense of raising an even larger army now, with the Crown's finances in even more dire straits, and a vast portion of its revenues now in the hands of the enemy?

It's a question which ought to have given the Queen pause, or at least cause for worry. Yet her reply comes immediately, and without the faintest hint of anxiety. "It shall be paid for the same way it always has been, through the Crown's revenues."

"But surely the Crown's revenues are insufficient for such a task, especially now that they are so diminished?"

The Queen's eyebrow rises. "Are they? The Crown's revenues come primarily from the Crown's estates, and under normal circumstances, they are but a fraction of the revenues which are extracted out of the country as a whole. For every penny the Crown receives, the Lords of the Cortes collectively receive twenty from their own estates—your own estates, we should perhaps say. This has meant that the wealth of the realm has gone not to the coffers of the Crown, but to the Cortes."

You're not sure you like where this conversation is going, especially since you are one of the Cortes lords in question. "Is that situation to change, Majesty?"

"Not for you, my lord, nor for any man who has kept his faith with us," the Queen replies. "But as for those who have thrown in with Wulfram, who abandoned the oaths which they have sworn—they are traitors now, and a traitor's titles and estates are forfeit…to the Crown."

So that's how she means to pay for this war: by confiscating the estates of the lords who have turned against her—which leaves only one problem.

"Those estates may be forfeit to the Crown under law, but the vast majority are now in territory where the Crown's law will not apply for much longer," you point out. "One cannot collect revenues from land one does not control."

The Queen nods. "No, one cannot—which is why we shall rely upon men like you to take them for us."

It is fair enough an answer. You cannot say it sits well with you to imagine that the funds which are to supply your command with shot and powder and rations and pay are to be contingent upon the ability to advance into territory now held by the enemy, but you cannot say that the idea is a point of particular confusion, either. It has already become clear enough that it is success on the battlefield alone which will determine the success of the Queen's ambitions. You suppose this is only an extension of such a principle, taken to a more immediate and urgent extremity.

You're not sure whether that reassures you or not.

"I've no further questions, Majesty."

quote:

The Queen nods with evident satisfaction. "Then we understand each other?"

"I believe we do, Majesty."

"Good." She gives you a look of careful appraisal, but one of faint admiration as well, like a jeweller beholding a diamond she just set into its mounting. "We have put great faith in both your loyalty and your competence, and we have found it answered with steadfast service and success in battle. This appointment is given in acknowledgement of that record, and in the understanding that it is to continue."

It's all you can do not to beam with pride. It seems that you truly have earned this command. "Thank you, Majesty."

For the briefest of instants, the Queen smiles. Then, once again, she is the unyielding mask of stern command. "It was not our intention to seek war, but now that Wulfram and his allies have forced it upon us, we have no choice but to prosecute it to the utmost. Only once the enemy is defeated in its entirety might order be restored. Only when those who have raised traitorous arms against us are fully brought to justice might there be peace once more. We have tried compromise, it has failed. We have tried patience, it has failed. Now we can only fight, and in this, failure has ceased to be an option."

She looks away, her gaze focused upon some point in the distance. "Now is the time of soldiers. The fate of the Unified Kingdom rests on you and those you will command. How will you bear that burden?"

"With every measure of strength and courage, Majesty."

"I mean to try my utmost."

"Circumstances have allowed me no other choice."

quote:

Lieutenant-colonel, Royal Dragoons

Idealism: 62%Cynicism: 38%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

Your known Royalist loyalties have made you somewhat unwelcome among the Wulframite Faction.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
"With every measure of strength and courage, Majesty." (lies)

So, there's gonna be a civil war. Then (after the presumed victory), there will be a very large army with no direction, and a much more powerful monarchy.
This would lead to one thing - embracing the unified kingdom's spanish-british heritage - namely, it's colonization time!
(I hope it does not happen, tbh. Had enough shooting barely armed peasants in foreign countries in this series already).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
With every measure of strength and courage, Majesty.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

We are really getting peter-principled here

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

So, there's gonna be a civil war. Then (after the presumed victory), there will be a very large army with no direction, and a much more powerful monarchy.
This would lead to one thing - embracing the unified kingdom's spanish-british heritage - namely, it's colonization time!
Or maybe we'll go to war with the elves!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Or maybe we'll go to war with the elves!

Other way around probably

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

"Then see to your brigade, General—and make it ready for war."

And that's that! There was one more reward here that Alaric did not qualify for (an Earldom)

Here are the final stats:

quote:

General of Brigade, Queen's Own Dragoon Guards

Idealism: 63%Cynicism: 37%

Our regiment has also been updated after being removed from Cunaris's ownership:

quote:

Colonel-in-Chief: Her Tierran Majesty, Isobel d'al Rendower
Colonel Commanding: His Lordship, the Baron Somewhere Awful
Quartermaster: Captain Sir Caius d'al Cazarosta

First Squadron
Officer Commanding: Captain Adelina d'al Garret

Discipline: 34%
Morale: 46%
Loyalty: 15%
Strength: 60%

Second Squadron
Officer Commanding: Lieutenant-colonel the Baron Somewhere Awful

Discipline: 50%
Morale: 51%
Loyalty: 38%
Strength: 40%

Third Squadron
Officer Commanding: Captain Arcturus d'al Hawkins

Discipline: 62%
Morale: 57%
Loyalty: 15%
Strength: 28%

quote:

Overview
Somewhere Awful, a barony within the Duchy of Cunaris, possessed of 238 rent-paying households.

Respectability: 54%
Prosperity: 70%
Contentment: 50%

Manor
…Being a country house of middling size in good condition, but of very rustic appearance. encompassed by a low stone fence in good repair. Outbuildings include stables, coach house, and guard house, all in exceptionally poor condition.

Interior consists of eighteen rooms, including six bedrooms, a kitchen, a library, a small ballroom, a dovecote and a gun room.

Estate and Grounds
…Being a barony of middling size, composed of a manor house, market village, and surrounding fields and hinterlands. It is located a week's ride west from the city of Fernandescourt, a journey rendered easier by the fine state of local roads.

The village of Somewhere Awful is a sizeable settlement, possessed of a traveller's inn, a publick house, a somewhat worn shrine to the major Saints, and an open market square. The surrounding cottages are few in number but of excellent condition, having recently been repaired and refurbished. All available land around the village has been brought under cultivation. A series of new irrigation ditches have increased recent harvests even further.

Revenue and Expenditures
Bi-Annual Estate Revenues
Rents: 714 Crown

Bi-Annual Expenditures
Estate Wages: 150 Crown
Food and Necessities: 75 Crown
Luxuries and Allowances: 150 Crown
Groundskeeping and Maintenance: 50 Crown
Other Expenses: 0 Crown

Total Balance: 289 Crown

And the final estate stats. I'm not quite done with this game yet, though, I do intend to go through for another round on the Aetoria path, which is more or less the other half of the game. But I am going to ask if you'd prefer to see Alaric try and take on the big city, or a more min-maxy character from the Guns lp called "Legitimate Caz," who might be a little bit better prepared. I'm also open to other suggestions or ideas, just bold your preference.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
All in all, Alaric did not too bad a job.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I'm honestly surprised Alaric survived and managed to dig himself out of the debt hole.

That being said, let's see the return of Legit Caz so we can earn the grand prize.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Omniphile posted:

That being said, let's see the return of Legit Caz so we can earn the grand prize.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

We expected nothing from Alaric, and yet he delivered something. Bravo.

Anyway, yeah, play Legit Caz or just anyone who isn't a goon-made gently caress up.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I suggest that we don't do Legit Caz yet, and instead play through the Aetoria path while voting normally

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Alaric, alt path.
In any case - do we go loyal, rebel, or saboteur?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Legit Caz should definitely go all the way rebel, but City Alaric should be loyal.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Alaric alt path, fanatic rebel.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Other way around. We haven't really explored many of the interesting things a double-dealer with the right stats who spent his entire time in the city could do.

So Alt-Alaric rebel, Legic-Caz saboteur

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Alt-Alaric the sexhaver.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, was in a bit of a Baldur's Gate fugue state. It looks like we have some split support between an Alt Alaric run and a Legit Caz run, so I'm going to make those the two formal options here and give everyone two days for a final vote:

Should we run through the Aetoria path as:

An alternate Alaric

or

Legit Caz

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Legit Caz

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Alt alaric

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alt Alaric

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Alt Alaric

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Alt Alaric

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Legit Caz

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Legit Caz

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Legit Caz

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Legit Caz

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Legit Caz.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Legit Caz

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Legit Caz

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Legit Caz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Legit Caz.