Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
"Forcefields work like Dune, everybody use archaic weapons" has some obvious precedent, at least. Mainly my question is where did bugs get powerful forcefields, anyway?

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh hell yeah, if we're on Dune rules I can't wait until they find the local drugs.

The <local drugs> must flow! :)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was a boring person and stuck to range the whole time. I immediately forgot how melee combat worked and that there was a button to charge attacks. All I saw was a full board of bonuses get destroyed within seconds and only if I was controlling the character getting hit. That cave did allow me to max out my SP so I wouldn't ever worry about it.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 7, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sum Gai posted:

"Forcefields work like Dune, everybody use archaic weapons" has some obvious precedent, at least. Mainly my question is where did bugs get powerful forcefields, anyway?
Wait until you see the Railgun Lizards that eat these bugs!

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 3 - An Alliance of Elves and Men

Last we left off, we found out we crash landed on Aeos, and that Aeos is full of bug life conveniently immune to SRF railguns. Edge demonstrated his glowing glyph of protagonist powers and killed the bugs, and has now been sent to find the Eremia alongside Reimi.

Shortly before the boss encounter, we must navigate this beach area. Present are these crab enemies called "Killer Chelae". They can blow bubbles at you and stun you.

Otherwise, we just walk down the coast until we see a man lying on the beach in front of the wreck of the Eremia.

Click here for the following cutscenes, and a boss fight.

Egde nods.

Injured Man: "Be...careful...The insects...aren't the real danger..."

"What...?"

Injured Man: "We crash-landed on the sea...Made landfall and scouted the area around us..."

""It"...? What did you find?"

Injured Man: "A meteor...fragment..."

"A meteor...?"

Injured Man: "We brought it back to the ship for research. But...Everything just...went to hell...That...that's why I...destroyed the ship..."

Now Playing - Welcome to the Darkness

"Y-you...destroyed your own ship...?"

Injured Man: "I had no choice! Why...why would our own men..."

Injured Man: "Stay away from it...It's dangerous..."

"...What happened here!?"

Edge starts shaking the man.

"Edge!"

He's dead, Jim.

Edge and Reimi are saluting his body, if you can't tell.

Then they hear a noise.

You know, Reimi's supposed to be as much a soldier as Edge, yet they have her cowering behind him every other scene.

"That's not one of ours..."

"Yeah...It looks like some kind of transport."

Yeah, that's right, a goddamn space elf.

He jumps out of the cockpit.

Edge eventually nods in response.

The space elf does a little respectful gesture.

The camera draws our attention to some strange activity in the ruins of the Eremia.

Edge shakes his head.

"...I see."

"N-no, we understand you..."

"I've come to collect you at the request of Mr. Grafton."

The man's corpse is vanishing...with the same visual effect we were shown near the Eremia...

Now Playing - Cimmerian Halls

"I don't know...But in any case, it certainly doesn't look very friendly."

"...No, it doesn't. Watch out, here it comes!"

Now Playing - I Do, Therefore I Am

So yeah, this is our first boss fight. And a somewhat irritating one at that. You may notice we are doing a very small amount of damage compared to what we've been doling out to more simple enemies. This is because Armaros is a gimmick boss, and simply hitting him will accomplish nothing.

What you need to do is keep hitting him on this little side patch of shell he has. It's not made entirely clear this is what you need to do. I guess you could make a guess on the fact that his "flesh" looks vaguely exposed underneath it compared to the other side. Also you might catch a glimpse of his literal glowing weak point. Once you hit him there, you'll here a distinct noise and chunks will fly off the shell, which should clue you in this is the place to target. Still, when I looked up videos of this encounter, I found a lot of people struggling to figure out what to do.

Armaros demonstrates why Rush Mode is so tedious on boss encounters. While we don't do a lot of damage, we ARE increasing his Rush Gauge, and when he's in Rush Mode we can't stagger him. Hence it's better to run around and keep him distracted in this mode, maybe angle him in a way that Reimi and our elf buddy can hit the correct spot.

A lot of people recommend switching to Reimi, but I just stuck it out with Edge because I'm lazy.

Once the shell is broken, you can finally hit his weak spot for massive damage.

Armaros turns into a tiny stone upon his death.

"I'm sure our standard SRF Sample Container will do the trick. Not like it can turn into a giant slug again from inside, right?"

"Oh, no, not at all. If anything, it is your incredible skill that is worthy of admiration. If only I was able to fight like you..."

"By the way, you are...?"

"Ah, do forgive me. I haven't told you my name."

Yes, they called their space elves "Eldar". We really couldn't come up with something more original? What's next, that thing we fought is a Chaos Daemon? Maybe a servant of Melkor?

"An...Eldarian...?"

"That is correct. To put it in terms you might more easily understand...I am what you might call an "alien"."

"Alien!? Wait a minute...So when the captain was talking about "them"..."

"He meant you alie...uh, Eldarians?"

"We Eldarians have been in contact with your Earth for somewhat more than a decade. It started with observational crosstalk...Eventually, we were able to confirm each others' existence. I'm not surprised you two were unaware of the situation. It was a matter handled with the utmost secrecy, after all."

I just want to point out we could have avoided the more awkward parts of this conversation if Faize had started by explaining he had been sent to help them, rather than asking weird questions like "Is that guy from that ship?" Or on the other hand, if Edge and/or Reimi asked questions when it was clear Faize wasn't trying to kill them, that would have worked too.

"I see..."

"Our crew here was out on a planetary exploration mission, just like yourselves. Through sheer coincidence, we happened to be investigating a nearby star system. That's when your USTA contacted us for assistance. We came as quickly as possible."

"Talk about astronomical odds..."

"No kidding...Thanks a lot."

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"First of all, we'd better report back to Captain Grafton as soon as possible."

"We appreciate it, but...I'd like to scout this area a bit more before going back."

So much for reporting to Grafton ASAP.

"Very well. Allow me to accompany you, then."

"What about that?"

"Fancy..."

"You really are from another world, huh..."

"Let us be on our way, then."

And now we're free to go. Despite Edge wanting to "scout the area", our only objective is to head back to Captain Grafton.

Anyway, if you watched the video, did you perhaps recognize Faize's voice acting? I know I sure did. Ernesto Jason Liebrecht, what else has he been in...

Well well, if it isn't Capell. I'm guessing tri-Ace just used the same dubbing studio for Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4.

Now that Faize is a party member, we can use him in battle. He is also fond of ridiculous flipping maneuverers for blinsides, just like Reimi.

You may have seen it already in the boss fight, but Faize's shtick is Symbology, which I mentioned is basically just magic in the Oceanverse.

"Amazing..."

Now Playing - Magnificent Creations

The Calnus is now surrounded by this pre-fab base. We can walk around, talk to NPCs, find shops, and the Eldarians were even nice enough to leave chests for random people to rifle through.

I'll briefly mention that many stores we come across will have fetch quests in the form of "orders", which pay out in money, EXP and SP.

Random note, but Reimi's heels are not unique. They are standard issue on both SRF and Eldarian women's uniforms. A whole drat alien species, and even they decided that woman MUST wear heels.

This Eldarian will explain different parts of the base to us, along with creepy commentary about the attractiveness of woman in different sections.

Whenever we want to move on, we must talk to Captain Grafton.

Click here to see us report back.

"Something definitely happened on the Eremia, sir. The surviving crewman said as much. And then...there's the matter of the unidentified life form we encountered out there on the beach...I believe there must be some connection between them."

Gaghan hands the object over to his purple-haired subordinate, who carries it away.

"About the aliens-or rather, extraterrestrials."

"Surprised is not the word, sir. Just look at this base they're constructing..."

"Indeed. All of this is thanks to the Eldarians' scientific capabilities."

"Sir, you were aware of their existence, weren't you."

"USTA command and we captains were, yes."

"So Crowe knew, too...He's good at that. You never can tell what secrets he's hiding."

"Unlike someone I know, who's like an open book."

"...Cute."

"With matters being as they are, we've decided to join with the Eldarians in a co-exploration effort. USTA headquarters has approved the plan. Consider yourselves informed."

"Sir."

"Understood."

"Effective immediately, I would like you to form a composite team with Faize here."

"Faize may be young, but he has incredible potential. What he mainly lacks is experience, and this will be an excellent opportunity for him to gain some. If it's not too much trouble, may I ask you to work with him?"

"It's far from trouble, sir. He saved our lives with his...powers. It was almost like magic."

"Ah yes, symbology. That is but one of Faize's many talents. I do hope you'll help me in bringing out the rest of them."

"Yes, sir."

"You all must be tired from your efforts. Feel free to get some rest. Come talk to me when you're ready to accept your next assignment."

"Yes, sir!"

Then there's a brief cut.

Now that's the guy I'd expect to be called "Edge Maverick".

He even has the attitude for it.

Reimi said the last line, FYI.

"That uniform...He must be with the 13th Eldarian Independant Armored Division. A captain, it would seem. I've never seen him before...but you don't hear very nice rumors about the 13th.

:sigh:

The scenes finally end, and we can wander around again. Now, having talked to Grafton, we can begin some more traditional side quests. Two just have us fetching item drops from nearby enemies, but another has us return a patient to the sick bay. On top of EXP and SP, we get an....interesting reward.

"Wh-whoa!"

Airi: "Aw, that's cute! You look so innocent."

"N-no, Reimi...It's nothing like that..."

Golly, I wonder what happened, and why Reimi would be so mad about it?

Now we're ready to move on, but in the interest of keeping this update shorter, I'm going to leave off here.

Join me next time, where we learn what our next task is.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 3, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

That guy is absolutely gonna be a party member huh.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It's nice when the party meets aliens in this sort of story, and they don't react with hostility, distrust or otherwise making things worse in the short run. "We're Aliens." "Yes you are." "Truth be told, our politicians and yours wants to keep this secret for now until things could settle down." "Makes sense." You know, calm and rational, rather than jumping to the worst possible outcome.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Regallion posted:

That guy is absolutely gonna be a party member huh.

I forgot he showed up this early. And by the time he shows up again I'll be surprised if you remember he existed too :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, that introduction of aliens is surprisingly short, to the point and with a minimum of drama.

Thought you'd figure that you'd explain to the crews of a mission like this that they might be meeting friendly aliens, so someone who's just been attacked by ten alien bugs that day doesn't get jumpy and ventilate the first space elf that hops out of a bush.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it spoilers to talk about the various types of resource spots in the game?

I really liked the concept of a prefab base that is fully staffed in short order. Was a surprise that it popped out of nowhere in the hour we were gone.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it spoilers to talk about the various types of resource spots in the game?

I'll allow it, as long as you don't mention anything about future characters that are involved. Nothing substantial, at least.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are hidden resource spots throughout the game and with no indication of them. I really screwed myself out of possibly enjoying the game by not using guides. I missed out on so much that would have made the game better.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Excited to get in and follow this from near the start. This was an impulse purchase and play from the discount bin for me.

The combat system was kind of fun to mess around with and exploit, but hooooo boy the Animu it was wrapped in. I will have a fair bit more to say as we get deeper in and see more of the party.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

There are hidden resource spots throughout the game and with no indication of them. I really screwed myself out of possibly enjoying the game by not using guides. I missed out on so much that would have made the game better.

Well, they are suggested by the terrain, but you do have to know hidden resource spots exist at all (or be someone that goes around mashing buttons whenever they see something suspicious-looking). There's at least one particularly obvious one, but it's much later on.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Scalding Coffee posted:

So! Unlike the Eng guide, the official JP guide does, in fact, point out where all the hidden nodes are! If the OP wants, I can try and get pics of my JP guide for them if they want. (Official JP guides are pretty much always better than their Eng counterparts, regardless of how much Japanese you can actually read).

I also have Thoughts On Faize, but those are probably best saved for the next update or later.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Melomane Mallet posted:

So! Unlike the Eng guide, the official JP guide does, in fact, point out where all the hidden nodes are! If the OP wants, I can try and get pics of my JP guide for them if they want. (Official JP guides are pretty much always better than their Eng counterparts, regardless of how much Japanese you can actually read).

I also have Thoughts On Faize, but those are probably best saved for the next update or later.

Huh, I would've thought that the English guide would've just been a straight translation of the Japanese guide, how odd.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Melomane Mallet posted:

So! Unlike the Eng guide, the official JP guide does, in fact, point out where all the hidden nodes are! If the OP wants, I can try and get pics of my JP guide for them if they want.

Well I can't really say I need a guide in of itself, since the internet is flush with those by now.

However, if there's anything unique or interesting you can find in that guide, I wouldn't mind you showing it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LJN92 posted:

Well well, if it isn't Capell. I'm guessing tri-Ace just used the same dubbing studio for Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4.
Not only that, Crowe is voiced by Kyle Hebert, who... admittedly has done a lot of VA work, but most relevant to our conversation he's Sigmund in IU.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, I would've thought that the English guide would've just been a straight translation of the Japanese guide, how odd.

No, see that would make sense and make the English guide useful instead of a cheap cash grab and clearly we can't have that! :downs:

LJN92 posted:

Well I can't really say I need a guide in of itself, since the internet is flush with those by now.

However, if there's anything unique or interesting you can find in that guide, I wouldn't mind you showing it.

Noted! It's been a while and I wasn't sure how much of that was general knowledge at this point.

From a quick glance, there's a few things like unused character designs and a 13 page interview with the devs I don't have the skill to translate. I'll give it a more thorough look after work.

(Reposting since the original was apparently eaten, if there ends up being two of these posts.)

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 4 - The Calnus' Continuing Mission

We left off after meeting our third party member, a space elf called Faize. With him we thought a space slug on the beach, an evil monster that may have been involved in the destruction of the Eremia. We then returned to the captain, and discovered the space elves had set up a massive pre-fab base.

Now it's time to learn what we're doing next.

In order to proceed, we must first talk to Gaghan. We cannot initiate the next set of scenes without doing so. As far as I'm aware, despite Faize suggesting it once, you cannot actually use the Sol anyway, so I think this is just a way to write it out of the story or something.

Click here to see Edge's brand new(old) ship.

"Sir."

Grafton leads everyone out of the room.

Now Playing - Cosmic Voyagers (Peace & Love Mix)

We get a few scenes of NPCs revealing the Calnus here.

"Wow! It was trashed...and they fixed it in such a short time! Incredible!"

"So this is Eldarian technology..."

"This way."

Everyone walks onto the Calnus.

"The Edlarians' technology far surpasses our own. They have a warp technique employing subspace bubbles-one we couldn't implement. We had to use wormholes. What you see before you now are the fruits of that technology made real. The hull may not have changed much, but under the hood, she's like a ship from several centuries in our future."

"Amazing..."

"Mr. Maverick."

"Me...a captain...?"

"You've handled your duties thus far admirably. I recommended you myself. The official order should arrive soon."

"But..."

"Now, let me brief you on your mission. The new duties of the SRF-003 Calnus, and her crew, are as follows: You will investigate unexplored planets within warp range, as well as participate in the search for the lost Aquila. Miss Saionji, you'll be Mr. Maverick's first officer. Support him well."

"Sir!"

"Faize Sheifa Beleth, of planet Eldar...you will also be a part of the mission."

"Me, too...sir?"

"Oh? I thought the three of you were already a team?"

"Yes, sir! We are indeed a team! I happily accept your orders, sir!"

Edge steps forwward.

"Listen, Mr. Maverick, I know exactly what you want to say. But since the warp incident, the SRF has been severely crippled. All the other officers of captain class are injured, and unable to handle the duties. I, too, have my hands full overseeing this base. Unfortunately, I can't even provide you with an adequate crew. This will be a difficult mission carried out by a select few. And right now, you're the only one capable of leading it. How about it, son? Do you accept?"

"I know I didn't earn this through my own ability."

"I'll be counting on the two of you."

"Of course!"

"I still have so much to learn from you, after all."

"I don't think you have anything to learn from me, but...Thank you-Reimi, Faize."

"Very good. You may launch whenever your preparations are complete. I pray for your journey's success."

And we're finally done with our cutscenes. We can move freely again. Whenever we're ready, we can simply click on the captain's chair to proceed. But there's plenty to do before we leave.

For starters, let's do something completely unintuitive!

This is an area in Urd Falls Cave that you have to pass through in order to return from the beach. It's likely you've been here a few times, looking for items and other things to do. On any prior visit, these glowing flowers do nothing. You would be forgiven for assuming they're just a pretty decoration.

However, specifically now, after Edge being promoted to captain, is it possible to see an event involving them if you return here and investigate this exact patch of flowers. I do not know how anyone would think to do this now without having a guide on hand. Not to mention that if you leave Aeos without seeing it, you will never be able to see it again.

"I guess there really is more to this planet than just weird monsters. It has such beautiful plant life-Huh?"

:catstare:

"What's wrong, Edge? Why are you starting at me like that?"

"Yeah...you're right. Really beautiful..."

"Huh?"

"Yeah..."

"Huh? What are you...?"

Indeed, Star Ocean is yet another game with multiple choice events. It also has an affinity system, and different responses change affinity values more strongly. Unlike Infinite Undiscovery, affinity matters because there's post game scenes that you won't see without getting enough affinity with your party members.

Going with this answer because it raises her affinity the most.

"M-me!? Edge, you're such a joker..."

"I'm not joking. You looked so beautiful, admiring these flowers."

"Wh-wh-what are you...Are you nuts? Are you trying to flatter me or something?"

"Why would I need to flatter you? Anyway, what's the problem? You're all flushed."

"There is no problem! I'm just...a little tired, okay?"

"Oh, you are?"

" :sigh: You really can be such a dummy sometimes, Edge! It's too much for a girl to take..."

"Are you grinning?"

"What!? No! It's just your imagination!"

"All right, all right. You don't need to be so emphatic about it."

"...Now my heart's all racing..."

"...Huh?"

And that ends that painful bit of lovey-dovey nonsense.

With that out of the way, we return to the Calnus...to inflict more pain upon ourselves.

Click here to expose yourself and Faize to Welch torture.

"Yes, sir!"

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Faize Sheifa Beleth, an Eldarian."

Welch stares intently at Faize.

"Wh-what is it...?"

"Hmm, hmm...You don't look very different from us at all. I thought you'd be all like, you know..."

Now Playing - Blood on the Keys

She doesn't.

"...No, it's all right. I'm quite used to false preconceptions."

"It's Faize."

"Right, right, Faime. So, about that monster? Truth is, those things are actually Earthlings, you know?"

"...Earthlings?"

"Come on, Welch! Are you trying to traumatize him?"

Faize starts backing away from Edge.

"...Uh, just so you know, that's her idea of a joke, okay?"

Faize chuckles nervously as he continues to back away. The scene ends, and everything has been made worse by Welch.

Now that we can actually make use of her, let's talk about Welch's Item Crafting in a little more depth. Making items is simple enough, but getting invention ideas either requires you to find them elsewhere or make use of these invention sessions. It costs SP to run them, but it's a fairly minimal amount you can easily earn from a few battles. Basically, every time the little clock turns, your characters will attempt to come up with the new recipe. Each character has different invention stats that contribute to making something, like Reimi having a 10 in Cooking (golly, I wonder why?). Putting together other characters with good stats in the same areas will get you better inventions. Conversely, some characters have negative stats in those areas, like Edge having negative cooking. They'll drag down the chances of inventing better stuff, so you want to tailor the different groups to achieve better results. Sometimes you'll need a specific combination of two characters and no others to get results as well.

Eventually you'll reach a point where any and all groups run out of ideas, and that will forcibly end the session.

Click here for a demonstration of inventing.

Prior to leaving, we can talk to Faize and get a "Monster Jewel".

"It's called a monster jewel. You can imbue it with data from a monster. We'll need to collect ample data from a monster beforehand, however.

Anyway, with nothing else to do, it's time to finally start our interstellar exploration.

We get a prompt, and since we're ready, we're going.

Click here for the Calnus' departure sequence.

"Well? How does the captain's chair feel?"

"Edge?"

"Being a captain means...You have to take responsibility for an entire ship-an entire crew."

"Crowe bears this burden every day of his life..."

"Buck up, Edge. Look-you're one step closer to Crowe, now. Right?"

"Yeah...I guess so."

"Now that you mention it, I guess we do. So listen...Don't let this get to you. Just be yourself, okay?"

"...Thanks, Reimi."

Now Playing - Cosmic Voyagers

"All right..."

"Yes, sir!"

"...I'm gonna say it, Reimi."

"What?...Oh, Edge, you're such a nerd..."

"What's happening? What will he say?"

"Just listen."

"Space: the final frontier."

"These are the voyages of the starship Calnus."

"Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations."

"To boldly go where no one has gone before!"

"...I think interdimensional travel is more likely to be the final front-"

"No, Faize, you don't get it."

"I really don't."

This marks what is a sort of tutorial for every time we will travel between planets. We will be given the opportunity to interact with our characters on the Calnus as we travel, see scenes (yes I know they're called "Private Actions"), and give answers that affect affinity. At other times, some scenes may be missable, and you may have to pick one to see over others. This time, however, there's just one series of scenes to see.

Since there are so many goddamn :words:, I'm going to show these of by Lpix dump.

To summarize: Shimada contacts us and is his usual unpleasant self, Reimi tells Faize about Crowe, then she freaks out about the task she signed up for, then Faize tells everyone about Human-Eldarian first contact, and finally Edge gets edgy and explains his sword-obsessed backstory.

I should mention the room assignments. Basically, it's all to serve the affinity system, and rooming with different people will raise their affinity. I believe characters can also develop affinity to each other and not just with Edge, which can serve certain purposes.

As you can see, Reimi doesn't mind bunking with Edge. I'm honestly amazed the game didn't have her being too bashful about it for fifty billion hours of in game time. However, Reimi and Faize will refuse to bunk together. Generally, characters will refuse to do mixed-gender rooming until you raise their affection high enough.

We're bunking with Faize for now because it's optimal to bunk with the newest addition to your crew whenever possible.

Once the scenes are finished, the computer will tell you you've arrived at your destination. All you have to do is go to the flight deck and you'll trigger a cutscene.

Which is what we shall do...next time.

Join me next time, where we make our own first contact...and meet what is perhaps this game's most maligned party member.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Caught up on this after working my way through Infinite Undiscovery over the last week. What a waste of potential that game was.

Outside of Welch, this hasn't been so bad so far. Edge has proved surprisingly stable for a guy named Edge Maverick.

LJN92 posted:

And all the scenes are done. Finally. At the time of typing this all out, my arms sure are sore...

Which version are you playing on specifically? I can see if I can dump the game's text out for you sometime. No promises of course, but I've found I kinda like the challenge of doing it so I'll at least give it a shot.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

Which version are you playing on specifically? I can see if I can dump the game's text out for you sometime. No promises of course, but I've found I kinda like the challenge of doing it so I'll at least give it a shot.

The 4k and HD Remaster, although I wouldn't think there's a great deal of difference between the scripts of different versions of this game. I don't think any of them ever added any genuinely new content or anything.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Edge's sword backstory seems like intentional self parody.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

The 4k and HD Remaster, although I wouldn't think there's a great deal of difference between the scripts of different versions of this game. I don't think any of them ever added any genuinely new content or anything.

Yeah, I did a cursory search myself and couldn't find any evidence of real changes, but I thought it best to ask first. I'll start by looking into the PS3 version- if I have no luck there, then I'll look into the 4k HD remaster's files.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This game really moves at a breakneck loving pace.

How many hours of gameplay is it between crash-landing on our first alien planet, meeting actual aliens and then leaving for another exoplanet?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Buddy, she's not well. I remember watching Youtube clips of this game back when it first came out, and the Welch poo poo was just so stupid. And we still haven't met the worst character.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It had to be that kind of monster in a video game.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

I know this is supposed to be sweet, but man Edge is giving yandere vibes with the eyes.

Anyways, Edge is captain now! Surely, nothing will go wrong.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

This game really moves at a breakneck loving pace.

How many hours of gameplay is it between crash-landing on our first alien planet, meeting actual aliens and then leaving for another exoplanet?

Credit where it's due, this is something to praise- in previous Star Ocean games the planet would be quasi-medieval and we'd be stuck on it for most of the game*. Whatever else it does wrong, as I'm sure will become very apparent, we're out exploring planets in a working starship. This game actually makes use of the setting. It's a pretty big change!

*the last game even did it twice- first you crash on a medieval fantasy planet, get your ship working and escape, and then get shot down again over a different medieval fantasy planet where most of the game takes place.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 10, 2023

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I know this will never happen, but just once I want to see a sword wielding idiot get shredded by firearms before closing to melee range.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe some character from Metal Gear.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If his tragic backstory is any indication, EDGE MAVERICK has had whatever Protagonist Powers that glyph on his hand represents since birth, or at least early childhood.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where is his green hat and green tunic?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 5 - tri-Ace likes little girls, they make them feel so good

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10...uh, gonna have to get back to this on the full date, star calendar's on the fritz.

Regardless, this will be my inaugural log as the new Captain of the Calnus. The first of many logs in an important chronicle of our journey to come.

We have set course for a nearby planet believed to be potentially habitable for humanity, leaving the hostile environment of Aeos to be sorted out by the remaining SRF forces and our new Eldarian allies.

We're soon to land on the planet. We might just be the first extraterrestrials to set foot upon it!"

"Analyzing the planet's atmosphere...Doesn't look like it'll pose any problems. I'll scan for life signs once we've landed. I sure hope there isn't anything like those insects on Aeos..."

"Yeah, it might be even scarier. Like something your bow is totally useless against."

"Edge, that's not funny..."

"10 seconds to touchdown. Landing gear locked. Craft stabilization confirmed. Touchdown in 5...4...3...2..."

We hear the ship touchdown.

"Touchdown confirmed. We've landed on the target planet."

We get a brief controllable segment. We can talk to Faize and Reimi, but to move on we have to leave the flight deck.

"Let's go!"

We then jump from the flight deck to a cutscene.

Someone watches from afar, then runs off.

Edge nods to the others, they walk on, and the scene ends.

Now Playing - Skyward Bound

The interface spoils that the planet's called Lemuris, although the characters don't know that yet.

Our destination is a nearby village, but on the way, we can encounter enemies.

These dodo bird things have shockwave attacks, but they're pretty weak.

These Dryads aren't too tough either, but they appear to be hard to blindside unless you wait for the most narrow window. They also have passive regeneration, but it's so slight it won't matter.

Kobolds don't even have any special attacks. How boring.

Eventually, we make our way to the nearby village.

Click here for our first contact with human aliens.

"Their civilization may not be as advanced as ours, but their way of life seems similar."

"I hope our translators work properly."

The villagers murmur lines like "Exalted ones!" and "Please deliver us!"

NPC Man: "There's no mistaking it! I saw them with my own eyes! They came to us in their celestial ship!"

"Wh-what's going on...?"

""Celestial ship"...?"

"Yes...I believe there's a high probability he's referring to the Calnus. He must have seen us land."

"And so they think we're gods...huh."

We then cut somewhere else.

Oh come on, tri-Ace, haven't you heard of subtelty?

He reveals much of his legs have turned to stone.

"Our literature makes mention of a sickness known as bacculus. It is an ancient and infectious malady that renders the body unto stone, as you can see. Then, in time..."

"So we can't determine how it spreads."

"Should we take some safety precautions to be sure?"

"Eh."

"Please, lend us your divine power. It's not just the sickness. Monsters never seen before have begun to run rampant."

It comes.

She's not blind or anything, she just blatantly barged into Edge.

The girl keeps walking past Edge.

Everything this girl says is delivered in a monotone.

Ghimdo puts the flower on his lapel.

"Sure. Don't forget to water it, 'kay?"

Lymle walks off beside Ghimdo.

That's Faize talking.

"Please forgive the intrusion. This is my granddaughter, Lymle."

"Lymle! What are you saying!? You can't go off on your own!"

"I'll be fine. I'm just gonna go get a symbol and come back and heal everyone, 'kay?"

"Symbology...That's the strange power you use, right, Faize?"

"So the people on this planet can use symbology, too?"

"Yes. In fact, Lymle is the most adept symbologist in the village."

As Faize talks, Lymle moves to the other side of Ghimdo.

"Was that...this girl's symbology...?"

"Lymle! How dare you!"

"N-no...it's all right."

Faize seems to reach out for Edge to help him up, and is disappointed he doesn't. Not sure why Reimi doesn't just do it herself.

"If we can but entreat the oracle to bestow upon us a symbol to cure the bacculus..."

"That's why I said I'm going, 'kay?"

"Young lady, I'm telling you you can't go alone. So...I'd like to beg a favor, if I may..."

"You want us to go with her."

"Wha-?"

"Would you...!?"

"Hold on, Edge, are you serious!?"

"We can't just ignore these people, can we?"

"But..."

"Have you forgotten our SRF directives?"

"To investigate planets suitable for colonization, and eliminate impediments to said colonization."

No one going to mention we're discussing colonizing a planet with people living on it? No?

"This bacculus definitely sounds like an impediment to colonization to me. Finding a cure for this disease would make a fitting mission for the SRF, don't you think?"

" :sigh: ...What a nice public face you put on."

"Public face? Is that a joke? Any captain would make the same decision."

"It's not a joke at all. You let the real reason slip a second ago. "We can't just ignore these people"...Isn't that where you heart really is, Edge?"

Edge does not respond.

"We are a team, aren't we? And besides...How am I supposed to learn anything from you if I'm left behind here?"

"It's not like I've got any great knowledge to impart."

"Understatement of the century..."

"Can we truly make such a request of you...gracious gods?"

"Of course. But I do have a favor I'd like to ask."

Edge looks at his comrades.

"Please, stop treating us like gods...all right?"

"A-as you wish..."

"Thank you."

Edge approaches Lymle.

Oh for gently caress's sake, tri-Ace.

"Lym? Would you rather we call you Lym?"

Lymle shakes her head.

There is an awkward pause.

"Hey, at least it's not "Mr. Beleth" or something, right?"

"I hesitate to agree..."

"Be careful out there, little Lymle."

"I'll make sure to heal you first, Grampa."

Ghimdo bows to the party, they bow back.

"'Kay, we're going, 'kay?"

And the scene finally ends there.

Now Playing - Awakening

(This is what plays in Triom village after the cutscenes, to be clear)

So yeah, Lymle. She's a party member. She's sticking around forever. We will never be rid of her. Yay.

First things first, although all the specifics are yet to be revealed to us, I will go ahead and make it clear that Lymle is meant to be 15 years old, but has the body and mind of a 6 year old. Yes, it's the tired old trope of someone being older than they look, only she's not even that old to begin with. However, I want to stress that nobody in the party has had it explained to them how old Lymle is.

Mechanically, Lymle is of course a spellcaster like Faize, but even worse at melee, and has less health. She can cast spells and summon that Cerberus thing as a skill attack. She is the first character with healing spells, but she isn't even the best at that. But for now she's all we've got, and we can't put her in reserve until we have better party members.

Lymle is fond of rolling her way to blindside enemies...and glitching out.

Anyway, with the cutscene over, we're free to move around. Triom village has stores. It also has store orders to fulfil, and if you care for such things you must do them ASAP, as Triom is a Doomed Hometown(tm). However, at least one of the orders relies a fairly rare drop from an awkward enemy to kill. One person allegedly killed 81 of said enemy before getting the item they needed. Me, I decided not to waste my time on that poo poo.

If we go back to your ship, Lymle can be found on it. However, we can't engage any scenes relevant to her until we're done with Lemuris.

There are scenes to see now, funnily enough, but only with Faize.

Here's another text dump of Faize's Lemuris Private Actions.

To summarize: Edge badly describes Earth to Faize, Faize is excited for exploration while Eldar is on the verge of destruction, and Faize tells Edge that he was designed by the government.

We have nothing else to do but head to Alanaire Citadel, but that is a story for the next update.

Join me next time, where we slay a dragon...newt.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 25, 2023

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I do not like where this is going :catstare:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So... Palom/Parom without the redeeming qualities?

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I played this ages ago and had honestly forgotten entirely about Lymle or whatever her name is. I was dreading the content when I saw the update's title, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The character who made a pact with the devil and the town just happens to be turning to stone.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

berryjon posted:

So... Palom/Parom without the redeeming qualities?

They might be of similar ages, but Lymle will be a whole different beast.

More importantly, whereas in Final Fantasy you mostly just march through dungeons, Star Ocean has a wealth of Private Actions and side scenes where we will delve into Lymle content.

Be afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

She reminds me a lot of Carlie/Charlotte from Seiken Densetsu/Sword of Mana 3/Trials of Mana.

this is not a good thing.