Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

And hell, even if all of that isn't an issue... what if you trip and fall and smash your dumb face open? Or an alien pineapple falls on your head? It's a matter of workplace safety, people! Space OSHA will have your rear end if you forget your PPE!

You don't earn a name like ~Edge Maverick~ by complying with health and safety regulations! :kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SO4 definitely does not put its best foot forward, what with both Lymle and Welch being introduced in the first few hours. Being an utterly insufferable rear end in a top hat to everyone is cute, right?

Well, this is what we made~

megane
Jun 20, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's a good thing for these characters it was a magical bullshit rock instead of an airborne pathogen.

This is the space future, no mystery or problem is ever caused by anything mundane. It's always magic space bullshit. If you go to the dentist with a toothache in the future, the first thing she asks is if you were near any luminous, talking crystals recently.

e:

LJN92 posted:

tri-Ace's founders worked for the team that made Tales of Phantasia, the first Tales game. But that game didn't actually have any child party members, as far as I recall. Most of them were just teenagers of some sort.
This is true of the original SNES version, but in all the other versions the kid ninja who lives in The loving Maze Forest joins.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 20, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Of all this game's many, many sins, the most irritating might be how comically desperate it is to convince you that Edge Maverick is cool

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thanks for making this about you, Meracle.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

“Fridged for catgirl angst” is my new favorite phrase.

Fridged for Catgirl Angst: Let’s Play Star Ocean: The Last Hope

megane
Jun 20, 2008

We're leaving girl.jpg in charge forever, right? Not that she's all that much better than Edge, but outside of the cat she's the only one on the crew who definitely did not have a hand in blowing up a planet, so she's got that going for her.

It occurs to me that Edge's name is actually genius, because you can't come up with joke names for him that are any funnier than his actual name.

SO1 deserves better than to be mined for references by this trash fire.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like I get what they were aiming for, and it's a real victim of how ludicrously rushed SO4's plot is. If the game had taken the time to build up the idea that Milla was a reasonable person (or at least that Edge might have cause to think that), then we could feasibly see Edge as well-intentioned but naive. If there had been some foreshadowing where Edge angsted over the fate of future Earth, was struck by the beauty of this past version, etc. then it might seem like he had motivation to trust someone he shouldn't. But the whole arc has to fit in one cutscene at the end of a dungeon, so Edge goes from fighting the giant bionic monster she built (to guard the child she's been torturing) to handing over the World Exploder in like 30 seconds of casual discussion.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

EggsAisle posted:

It's funny how this series does character names. You've got names that wouldn't be out of place on a server's nametag in Wisconsin mixed with the likes of Fayt Leingod, Lymle whatever-the-hell, and of course Edge fuckin' Maverick (sick guitar riffmournful guitar keening.)

*ineffectual pantywaist guitar solo*

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I choose to read Sarah as being aggressively sarcastic all the time. She just slams Edge to his face and then goes "isn't that a nice phrase? :j:"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd make fun of it, but honestly "is secretly a genetically-engineered superhuman orphan" barely tips the Edge Maverick scale at this point.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

At this point Edge has been angsting over blowing up Fake Earth for longer than it took him to blow it up in the first place.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I read the old LP but do not remember any of this part. So, I get to experience the inanity anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A big, big problem with this game is that the enemy is so nebulous (hah) and faceless. Outside of the one cutscene where Ex exposits about it, there are absolutely no signs of what “the Missing Procedure” is or wants. Its entire presence in the plot is that there are some monsters causing problems in various places - they’re not pursuing any sort of goal, just attacking people and spreading diseases. And when they talk, all they say is meaningless “I am great and you are weak, you can’t win, blah blah evolution” babble. We go to various places, we find monsters doing bad stuff and fight them, and at some point we are informed that they’re related; that’s it, that’s the entire fabric of the overarching plot until we get to En II.

Even once Ex explains the situation, what we learn is that the Missing Procedure is making monsters to… do bad stuff. Because: it lives in another dimension, and if it does enough bad stuff it can remake the universe at it pleases. You know what’s convenient about that plot? There’s no need to give the Missing Procedure any personality or traits or themes or style at all. You probably should! But they didn’t. The “reveal” is that we’ve being opposing a vague, apparently-malevolent blob hovering somewhere off-screen, represented on-screen by generic JRPG monsters existing. Even here, at the end of the game, all we’ve got is generic recolors standing around in a big empty temple on a big empty purple planet.

megane fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 17, 2023