Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Yeah, it's really not making my midterms any easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Anybody got any Vyvanse

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

happy to report that the adderall shortage is finally over, thanks to a bonanza harvest

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

nooo not the fwiggin medicinal metharinos

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm still able to get mine with delays but the cost has gone up fourfold. i used to pay about a buck a pill and it's now up to about four. thankfully i can afford the 120ish a month it costs and it's still worth it to me (because i'll get fired pretty quickly if i have to go an extended period without it). it sucks because you can only get 30 days at a time and you can't request a refill until you have five days left. so you have that window to put in the request and if there are any hiccups in the process (there are always hiccups) then congrats you get to go back to the bad brain until they get their poo poo sorted out

had to go about a week without it two weeks ago and by the end of the week my boss was getting pretty testy with me because i was having so much trouble following through on things we'd discussed the previous day or even in the current discussion. it's cool that this is something i'm going to have to deal with about once a month until this situation finally stabilizes or i get fired. love to be treated like a criminal for trying to function in a society that will similarly toss my rear end out the moment i stop trying to function by its rules. it's real cool and good, op

I know worker rights is a lol but can your boss fire you for something like this? I mean actually going to court is probably not worth it, but if your back is against the wall a threat might give you leverage. I'm assuming your boss is maybe not so understanding of your temporary problem. That sucks though dude. Have you tried switching meds? I'm not sure why your meds so expensive? Even when I didn't have insurance I paid 35 bucks for a 30 day supply of dexmethylphenidate (generic for Focalin), I think I used a coupon on GoodRX.

My physician is a hack and does the bare minimum, but he prescribed me a 3 month supply by making the dosage "3 times a day". Like I didnt even ask for him to do that, but I think he just wants less work sending prescriptions out. Wildly irresponsible but :shrug:.

Unrelated but I think a lot of people get prescribed and then say "problem solved!" when you should probably be working towards not relying on the meds, ideally. No judgement from me because I havent done that myself and I know its extremely challenging and scary to approach. Mindfulness meditation has been pretty thoroughly shown to improve symptoms of ADHD in a meaningful way. Exercise too, like 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise a day feels like a dose of medicine. I dont really like running, swimming etc, because its too repetitive and I get lost in my thoughts, but exercise that keeps my brain engaged, like tennis, really kept me from dreading getting a workout. I also really like the rewarding feeling of improving in something more technical rather than just running further or quicker but ymmv. Im off the wagon right now and wholly relying on the meds but when I made a habit out of doing those 2 things it was like night and day. I should really get back on that horse.

Edit: maybe I'm denigrating the meds too much because of my experiences. Mindfulness and exercise are fantastic and will help, but if you still need meds in addition that's normal and there's nothing wrong with that.

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 5, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

do any of you taking amphetamines ITT participate in CBT in any amount or just get a psych to write a script for drugs

I got in a fight with the second-to-last CBT I dealt with because he was pretty much an MRA, but I've had two now that were really good; the first one had to leave me because she had to take care of her dying mom and she recommended me to, and recommended to me the current one I work with

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2023

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

MrQwerty posted:

do any of you taking amphetamines ITT participate in CBT in any amount or just get a psych to write a script for drugs

I got in a fight with the second-to-last CBT I dealt with because he was pretty much an MRA, but I've had two now that were really good; the first one had to leave me because she had to take care of her dying mom and she recommended me to, and recommended to me the current one I work with

Havent tried it, but I should look into it. I'm a mess right now and I desperately need some structure in my life. I think I need to hire a dude to just scream and slap me around every day until I take care of basic responsibilities

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was forced to switch to Ritalin because I couldn't get my meds for months at a time and Ritalin was the most reliable supply they had. Ritalin works, kinda, but I really wish I could go back to my Adderall XRs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

I take pills so I don't have to work on myself

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

But not right now because there aren't any

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The nationwide anal ball shortage

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

But not right now because there aren't any

So instead I get really mad at work/my spouse

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

MrQwerty posted:

sorry, I'm not into Cock and Ball Torture :classiclol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OP and other people in this thread, I am sorry they are out of your adderall and hope all of you are okay while you wait for it to be filled.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mutantIke posted:

sorry, I'm not into Cock and Ball Torture :classiclol:

lol being addicted to speed is so cool compared to trying to be a complete human being for my family

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
huh my pharmacy didnt have mine today and I didn't think anything about it. Had no idea it was a larger issue. Whos eating all the addys??

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not really sure what's going on in this thread, but there really are med shortages in the US, including a shortage of Adderall. It's been a real problem for a lot of people, so despite the shitposty nature of the first post this is, in fact, a thing.

MrQwerty posted:

lol being addicted to speed is so cool compared to trying to be a complete human being for my family

Also, now I know the thread is here I will probe posts like the one I just quoted for being ableist or Scientology-level anti-medication or whatever.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

MrQwerty posted:

...I believe I have been grossly misinformed about Cock and Ball Torture

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not really sure what's going on in this thread, but there really are med shortages in the US, including a shortage of Adderall. It's been a real problem for a lot of people, so despite the shitposty nature of the first post this is, in fact, a thing.

Also, now I know the thread is here I will probe posts like the one I just quoted for being ableist or Scientology-level anti-medication or whatever.

It's GBS let it go

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Probably both the shortage and ridicule come from the fact that we're "speed" running the opioid crisis but with online pill mills for uppers, literally over prescription to the point that the world ran out. Since it's speed literally anyone will find it performance enhancing long enough to make the sale.

Idk what the disease specific legitimate use or whatever so if you actually need this and it works in reverse in your brain or whatever I'm not talking about that

slurm fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 5, 2023

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I've been prescribed dexedrine since 2008. It's basically the same as Adderall, in that it is one of the four amphetamine salts contained in Adderall, and I literally could not tell the difference between the two when I tried Adderall briefly 15 years ago. I've had no issues filling my prescription, aside from the generic 5mg instant release pills, which had to be substituted with the shittier triangular brand name pills maybe one time about a year ago.

If you're really struggling, both with your ADHD and your inability to have your Adderall prescription filled, and don't want to gently caress with Vyvanse or Ritalin or whatever the hell else is out there now, it might not hurt to ask your doctor to substitute a dexedrine prescription in the short term.

Your mileage may vary and I'm very much not a doctor, so don't take this post as authoritative in any way.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Treecko posted:

It's GBS let it go
gently caress off, douchebag

slurm posted:

Probably both the shortage and ridicule come from the fact that we're "speed" running the opioid crisis but with online pill mills for uppers, literally over prescription to the point that the world ran out. Since it's speed literally anyone will find it performance enhancing long enough to make the sale.

Idk what the disease specific legitimate use or whatever so if you actually need this and it works in reverse in your brain or whatever I'm not talking about that
gently caress you as well.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 5, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Treecko posted:

It's GBS let it go

No. :colbert:

slurm posted:

That is grossly inaccurate and dismissive of people with real problems. If you're not familiar with ADHD and the myriad ways society has failed people who deal with it then go ahead and say so. The fact that diversion of meds is a concern, and that it is highly desirable on the black market for various reasons is true, but casting it in the same light as opioids is inappropriate. And that's not even touching on the various problems with how badly the opioid crisis has been and is being handled.

If the thread continues along those lines I'll just gas it, I guess. :shrug:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean the fact that at least in the last few years it's been heavily marketed to basically everyone as a miracle pill for the undiagnosed adult ADHD that shady docs selling scripts assure us is insanely rampant, and prescribed online via buzzfeed quiz. It's the new "long term oxycodone for everyday back ache" or whatever.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

I mean the fact that at least in the last few years it's been heavily marketed to basically everyone as a miracle pill for the undiagnosed adult ADHD that shady docs selling scripts assure us is insanely rampant, and prescribed online via buzzfeed quiz. It's the new "long term oxycodone for everyday back ache" or whatever.
Almost like ADHD has been underdiagnosed, just like autism! Adderal has been transformative to me and many others, you don't know a goddamn thing you are talking about, you douchebag. Again, I beseech you, shut the gently caress up.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

lol at coming in here seriousposting.

gently caress off back to whatever shithole sub you crawled out of lol lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Shout out for anyone thinking about Wellbutrin. I was on it for about 3 years, and it really helped. And then I had a seizure, and was immediately taken off of it. It is a severe side effect, but really it's one of those ones that affect like a tiny tiny percent of patients, so they have to list it. Also, watch your alcohol consumption with it, since that can make the seizures more prevalent.

Now I'm on Trazodone and Venaflexine (effexor). and it's .. okay, but not the same as Wellbutrin / bupropion. Supplemented it with Concerta which helped quite a bit, but recently have been taken off that due to being real fat, a drinker, and high blood pressure. Now I survive with Strattera , and it's a noticeable difference, but sucks compared to before.

And yeah, I definitely need a psychologist, I just have a -iatrist.

Best of luck, folks, I hope we all get the help and meds we need.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's a strong stimulant that would have a transformative effect on pretty much anyone in certain areas, it's why it's abused by anyone forcing themselves to do tedious things for endless hours, like students or truckers or what have you. The real abuse imo is the society that forces us to endlessly do tedious poo poo and it sucks that it's become so common to take performance enhancing drugs for better serving capital. Really kind of similar to breaking down people's bodies on their lovely jobs and then shoving oxy down their throats.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

pencilhands posted:

let me guess, you voted for biden

pencilhands posted:

I used to snort Wellbutrin pretty frequently. Nothing bad happens

lmfao, always lots of lols with dollar store wizard master

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

It's a strong stimulant that would have a transformative effect on pretty much anyone in certain areas, it's why it's abused by anyone forcing themselves to do tedious things for endless hours, like students or truckers or what have you. The real abuse imo is the society that forces us to endlessly do tedious poo poo and it sucks that it's become so common to take performance enhancing drugs for better serving capital. Really kind of similar to breaking down people's bodies on their lovely jobs and then shoving oxy down their throats.

It's the difference between being gainfully employed or not for a lot of people. In addition to being a contrarian douchebag, you are completely ignorant of the research around ADHD. Again, shut the gently caress up, you absolute dildo.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

cat botherer posted:

It's the difference between being gainfully employed or not for a lot of people. In addition to being a contrarian douchebag, you are completely ignorant of the research around ADHD. Again, shut the gently caress up, you absolute dildo.

Yeah, having strong uppers become a de facto employment requirement is loving weird and creepy. Everyone all juiced up to touch computer faster!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

slurm posted:

I don't disagree with that, but it also is unrelated to how necessary these meds are for the people who need them.

The example of people with lupus suffering because chuds were hoovering up malaria medicine is an even stupider example of societal forces negatively impacting people with real medical concerns.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

Yeah, having strong uppers become a de facto employment requirement is loving weird and creepy. Everyone all juiced up to touch computer faster!
Ok, so will you reimburse me for my lost salary then? Get hosed.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

slurm posted:

Have you considered that it's actual medication that helps people with a real problem, as prescribed to them by real physicians, despite how hilarious you find the fact that similar chemicals are used recreationally?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
rationing, mostly

I have an extended release prescription, which generally means I don't take more than one a day
and I've been in the habit of taking "off days" once or twice a week, usually on weekends (because when I started taking adderall I did so reluctantly and I didn't like the idea of "needing" it even at therapeutic doses, so I skipped days just for my own peace of mind and now off days are just part of my routine)

so, I used to only contact my doctor for a refill when I ran out of pills, which could be up to two or three months depending on what was going on in my life. now, I make a note to always ask him for one after 30 days even if I don't need it. that way every day I take off when I don't need it is an extra day I have in the bank if/when I get to the point where I need one and can't get a refill

with the shortages as bad as they are, and catching up for midterms taking up most of my spare time, I'm currently at 0 reserve pills. is life.

really early on, sometime mid-to-late last year, I heard (from a tweet, and I didn't examine this too closely, so don't get too excited) that there was an upsurge in prescriptions during lockdown when "telehealth" became more of a thing and people were able to get diagnoses remotely rather than in person, and the DEA, supposedly still reeling from the blowback from the opioid crisis, had "concerns" whether these prescriptions were "legitimate", so they put a bottleneck on production. as a schedule ii controlled substance, the DEA is in control of the raw ingredients needed to produce adderall and its generics, and they slowed production under some weird copbrain mentality that this would somehow help ensure it was only getting to people who were legitimately in need
this was well before I experienced any affects of the shortage myself, so I have a strong primacy bias for it and whenever a newspaper throws up their hands and pretends the cause of the shortage is a big mystery I'm like "well, no, we knew this was coming when the DEA responded to an increase in demand by decreasing production."
from what I've seen, I can't find any confirmation that that's true, but it feels like it's true and having somebody to be mad at makes me feel better so gently caress the DEA

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

cat botherer posted:

Ok, so will you reimburse me for my lost salary then? Get hosed.

It's insanely hosed that your employer sets expectations that can't be met without PEDs, yes. I'm sorry that this is how your workplace operates but I'm opposed to this becoming increasingly common.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

It's insanely hosed that your employer sets expectations that can't be met without PEDs, yes. I'm sorry that this is how your workplace operates but I'm opposed to this becoming increasingly common.
It clears my head, makes me calmer, and helps my focus. I have an actual disorder, which you apparently don't think is even real. It's not a loving performance enhancing drug any more than albuterol is.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cubone posted:

really early on, sometime mid-to-late last year, I heard (from a tweet, and I didn't examine this too closely, so don't get too excited) that there was an upsurge in prescriptions during lockdown when "telehealth" became more of a thing and people were able to get diagnoses remotely rather than in person, and the DEA, supposedly still reeling from the blowback from the opioid crisis, had "concerns" whether these prescriptions were "legitimate", so they put a bottleneck on production.

Yeah I think this is true, thanks Cerebral for starting this whole mess and probably getting a whole lot of young people with no actual medical need hooked on it

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
no you don't understand

see, because I do not have a situation where i require this mediation then nobody does

of course i take medication for other situations that are out of my control but you see they're not the same because i am unique and special and totally not a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

It's great getting told your mental health problems aren't real. I love it.