Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Nooner posted:

Why don't they just make more Adderall? If hillbillies can figure out how to make shitloads of meth out of poo poo from CVS can't a bunch of smart scientist guys figure out how to make some more addy? Jfc

Actual answer: the government (FDA specifically) regulates how much can be made annually, the problem is that it’s not keeping up with the rate at which it’s prescribed and drug companies aren’t in a hurry to increase production because it’s all generic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I just found a pharmacy that has my prescription.

I called and texted my psych to send the scrip over to them, but he hasn't responded. :bang:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Back in November my meds went on backorder to the point I gave up and switched meds. Then in mid January the old scrip somehow came in?? Idk, but I held onto it, obviously. Which is currently saving my rear end, because now the med I switched to is on backorder. I'm having to ration them, and it's causing problems to the point I had to just tell my direct coworkers and boss, because otherwise I was gonna gently caress up something high-visibility.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Glad I only became addicted to plants I can grow because ohh buddy the societal collapse is gonna SUCK

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm just going to buy from the black market

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

Actual answer: the government (FDA specifically) regulates how much can be made annually, the problem is that it’s not keeping up with the rate at which it’s prescribed and drug companies aren’t in a hurry to increase production because it’s all generic now.
More DEA than FDA.

It goes:
- FDA estimates how much Adderall will be need each year
- DEA makes up a maximum production yearly based on that
- DEA allocates some, but not all of that, to manufactures
- Manufacturers may produce up to their quota, but not more than that
- There is a process for requesting more quota and relinquishing unused quota quota, but no real consequence for not making everything allocated

Manufacturers are incentivized to grab as much quota as they can get just in case, even if they probably won't use it, but DEA assumes that everything they allow is actually produced. Some of the big generic manufacturers (who only make generic drugs, so this isn't a patent vs not thing) have said they requested quota increases but were denied. The DEA's claim is that the shortage isn't their fault because actual production is significantly less than authorized production.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Yeah I used to just buy a gram of meth and use volumetric dosing for 10mg when addy was impossible to get. On the plus side I didn't get any palpitations like I would with the addy occasionally.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Neurotypicals love having opinions about Adderall based on their recreational drug use huh

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

I've tried coke maybe 4 times in life when offered at parties, get a nasty taste in my throat like I chewed a headache pill, and then get really focused and want to leave the party to go work on my projects at home. Instead I listen better than I ever normally do, but to people having high party people nonsense conversations and it feels like a waste of clarity. At the same time I don't want to know where to buy coke because doing coke at home to draw and paint seems like an obituary waiting to happen.

"a waste of clarity" is a wonderfully succinct and poetic way to put that

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

I. M. Gei posted:

I called and texted my psych to send the scrip over to them, but he hasn't responded. :bang:

My physician is mostly pretty good but occasionally this happens too.

She also ADHD! :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the us government also wants to know about this shortage, and this article thinks that is important because it affects entrepreneurs

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/where-s-my-adderall-stubborn-drug-shortage-spurs-federal-inquiry-as-founders-fret/ar-BB1irVOe

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 20, 2024

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nooner posted:

Why don't they just make more Adderall? If hillbillies can figure out how to make shitloads of meth out of poo poo from CVS can't a bunch of smart scientist guys figure out how to make some more addy? Jfc

Why can’t hillbillies make adderall?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

addery'all

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I think I just found a pharmacy that has my prescription.

Holy gently caress I lucked out. The prescription went through and I was able to afford it thanks to GoodRx.

This is the closest I've came to not being able to get my Adderall since the shortage started and I was freaking out big time. gently caress this mess.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Very carefully. :smug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Foxfire_ posted:

More DEA than FDA.

It goes:
- FDA estimates how much Adderall will be need each year
- DEA makes up a maximum production yearly based on that
- DEA allocates some, but not all of that, to manufactures
- Manufacturers may produce up to their quota, but not more than that
- There is a process for requesting more quota and relinquishing unused quota quota, but no real consequence for not making everything allocated

Manufacturers are incentivized to grab as much quota as they can get just in case, even if they probably won't use it, but DEA assumes that everything they allow is actually produced. Some of the big generic manufacturers (who only make generic drugs, so this isn't a patent vs not thing) have said they requested quota increases but were denied. The DEA's claim is that the shortage isn't their fault because actual production is significantly less than authorized production.

Another issue is that Adderall is relatively cheap as far as drugs go, and that means there's not a lot of monetary incentive for drugmakers to increase production. Thanks, capitalism!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adhd-medication-shortage-cause/

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

They do but call it something else

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Seriously just ask for dexedrine instead. It's always in stock. Or keep whining. Not my problem. :smug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

XYZAB posted:

Seriously just ask for dexedrine instead. It's always in stock. Or keep whining. Not my problem. :smug:

I hope your butt medicine is never out of stock.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Konar posted:

They do but call it something else

Cool you've made your point. No need to explain further

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please don't take meth to treat ADHD.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Only take meth when you are trying to beat the Soviet Union to the moon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I'm having a very special kind of adventure in stupid.

Two days ago I was at Walgreens and I overheard a pharmacist tell someone on the phone that they were out of all name-brand Adderall. Remembering that I had just ran out of Adderall that very day, I asked this same pharmacist if they had the generic version of my dosage in stock (making sure to specify the word "generic" at least 4 or 5 separate times), to which she said that they did have it. I then immediately texted my psych to send my new prescription to that Walgreens.

A little over 24 hours later, I got a text back from my psych saying he'd sent the prescription, and earlier today I got a notification from Walgreens saying it was ready for pickup.

"Great!", I thought. "Looks like all is good." :)

* Narrator: All was not good.

I went to Walgreens today and was told that my Adderall would cost $291. "Wait, that's not right!", I said. "It's supposed to be free since it's generic!" (Note: My insurance is somehow decent enough to cover all generic meds for free, but doesn't cover a penny for name-brand Adderall).

So they took a look. Apparently the prescription my doc sent had "substitutions allowed" on it, and they only had the name-brand Adderall in stock when they received it, even though I've only EVER gotten it in generic. On top of that, they were now completely fresh gently caress out of generic. Whether or not the pharmacist from 2 days ago hosed up by telling me and someone else that they had my dose in generic but no name-brand at all is unknown, as Walgreens has no way of finding this out (yes, I asked). Whether I could've gotten my generic if my doc had sent the scrip in sooner, or if someone else swooped in and got it ahead of me in the 27 hours and 26 minutes it took my doc to send the scrip after I texted him, is also unknown.

Suffice to say, I am BEYOND pissed off right now. I got very lucky managing to find my Adderall and afford it with a GoodRx coupon last month, but GoodRx doesn't cover name-brand. Now it looks like I may have to go through that same ordeal calling every pharmacy in town and hoping they have my generic Adderall AND that either insurance or GoodRx will cover it all over again.

I sent a flurry of angry texts to my psych explaining what happened, but I doubt there's anything he can do to help besides sending another scrip to a different pharmacy if I find one (or paying for this scrip himself, which I admit I came close to asking him to do since this is partly his fuckup as far as I'm concerned).

For now, I told Walgreens to hold onto the name-brand scrip in case I don't find a generic alternative, although I REALLY can't afford the cost and I don't want to end up having to find a way to magically do so. I can't function without this medication. :(

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
They should put adderall in vending machines and the vending machines should be free

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Maudib Arakkis posted:

They should put adderall in vending machines and the vending machines should be free

The USA already went through a period where you could freely get USP-grade speed, it was called the 70's

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

*poo poo that should not be happening in a functional country*

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I recently had to drive 47 miles to get one of my prescriptions that I really needed like that day, then drive 47 miles back home. Not ADHD meds, but a pretty common antianxiety med. My local pharmacy had none, and they're part of a chain so I can have a prescription transferred to and filled at another really easily, but they said none of the local stores had it in stock, either. They said I might try ones in nearby towns, and sure enough, the one in a smaller town north of here had it, so I had them transfer it there then hopped on the freeway because it was like an hour and a half before they closed.

I made it in time and filled the med, but I was just lucky that it was so easy to transfer the prescription to another store like that. That, and I have a fast car and know where the cops tend to hide on that stretch of freeway, so I made good time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The reality of the situation is that you need pharmaceutical grade speed and speed-like products for a functional health system. I used to make 5cc vials of 5mg pure ephedrine for immediate stanching of bloodflow during surgery. That's an amphetamine. You bet that's an amphetamine, every time it showed up on site I had to piss in the cup for the DEA and do like 300 extra pages of handwritten paperwork. Pseudoephedrine is an amphetamine, it's practically meth without the fun part, and it's also the only extant non-steroidal nasal decongestant that works, specifically because it's lame meth. Directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines has very obviously enriched the lives of many OPs in this thread.

The other side of that reality coin is that the DEA are terrible and set manufacturing limits that nobody want to go near because it means the DEA are going to come to your plant with more people than they already have, and they're going to flip out about getting anywhere remotely near your yearly limit. Pharma companies are a ruthless cartel and amphetamines aren't worth real money unless you're selling them on the street vs. shipping as much Ozempic as you can manufacture currently. These behaviors of two drug cartels are not conducive to the mass-production of good, clean, USP-grade speed. Contract and generics manufacturers with DEA licenses are not a dime a dozen.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 23, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I recently had to drive 47 miles to get one of my prescriptions that I really needed like that day, then drive 47 miles back home. Not ADHD meds, but a pretty common antianxiety med. My local pharmacy had none, and they're part of a chain so I can have a prescription transferred to and filled at another really easily, but they said none of the local stores had it in stock, either. They said I might try ones in nearby towns, and sure enough, the one in a smaller town north of here had it, so I had them transfer it there then hopped on the freeway because it was like an hour and a half before they closed.

I made it in time and filled the med, but I was just lucky that it was so easy to transfer the prescription to another store like that. That, and I have a fast car and know where the cops tend to hide on that stretch of freeway, so I made good time.

Adderall prescriptions can't be transferred between pharmacies like that because of the whole controlled substance thing. The only way to "transfer" an Adderall prescription is to have your doctor fill out a whole new prescription and send it to the other pharmacy. And sometimes even that fucks up depending on poo poo like insurance issues, laws where you live, how long it takes your doc to cancel the old prescription and send the new one, etc etc etc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MrQwerty posted:

The reality of the situation is that you need pharmaceutical grade speed and speed-like products for a functional health system. I used to make 5cc vials of 5mg pure ephedrine for immediate stanching of bloodflow during surgery. That's an amphetamine. You bet that's an amphetamine, every time it showed up on site I had to piss in the cup for the DEA and do like 300 extra pages of handwritten paperwork. Pseudoephedrine is an amphetamine, it's practically meth without the fun part, and it's also the only extant non-steroidal nasal decongestant that works, specifically because it's lame meth. Directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines has very obviously enriched the lives of many OPs in this thread.

The other side of that reality coin is that the DEA are terrible and set manufacturing limits that nobody want to go near because it means the DEA are going to come to your plant with more people than they already have, and they're going to flip out about getting anywhere remotely near your yearly limit. Pharma companies are a ruthless cartel and amphetamines aren't worth real money unless you're selling them on the street vs. shipping as much Ozempic as you can manufacture currently. These behaviors of two drug cartels are not conducive to the mass-production of good, clean, USP-grade speed.

As far as I know DEA regulations aren't even a major contributor to the current shortage. They don't help, but they're not a big part of the problem.

The biggest problems causing the current Adderall shortage are:

1. Increased demand because of people being overprescribed Adderall through tele-health during COVID, and

2. Generic pill makers not just failing, but outright REFUSING to meet their Adderall production quotas because Adderall isn't a drug that generates much profit for them.

Adding to the problem is that almost zero news outlets have given this shortage any coverage whatsoever since it started last year. I think I've only ever heard it mentioned on NPR and literally NOWHERE ELSE. People need to be aggressively bombarding networks like CNN, ABC, and every other news network out there demanding that they start covering this story on TV and social media and not stop covering it until it ends, using every single platform available from Twitter to TikTok to IG to even just flooding the networks with phone calls if that's what it takes. This poo poo should never have been a problem to start with, and the fact that it's still going on after more than a year is absolutely unacceptable.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 23, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

2. Generic pill makers not just failing, but outright REFUSING to meet their Adderall production quotas because Adderall isn't a drug that generates much profit for them.

This also goes back to dealing with the DEA.

Dealing with the DEA is a loving nightmare. Training your people to deal with all the extra regs and DEA paperwork (hundreds of extra pages of hand-written paperwork that can only be printed once) when they're already overloaded on 8 different national/economic regional regulatory agencies bullshit depending on what they're making that day is not cheap. loving that poo poo up is not cheap or a particularly good time.
My experience is with injectables. Teardowns take 2-5x longer than normal depending on the crew. Teardowns require someone who knows how to recover, measure, and bag & tag controlled substances. There are hard limits as to how much pure drug is allowed to be unrecoverable and undocumented, the margin was like 1.5-2% for ephedrine and buprenorphine (the two I worked on).

I wouldn't loving bother either if the margin was as thin as it is on speed. Neither would you. That's a problem, because ultimately the pharma industry and DEA are two competing/cooperating drug cartels and all they care about is bottom line.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 23, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GoodRX??? More like BADRX!!!!

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

MrQwerty posted:

The USA already went through a period where you could freely get USP-grade speed, it was called the 70's

This sounds very win and its weird you don't hear about it more. Black beauties much?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
boomers ruined so many good drugs

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Decently, but mostly because I’m working from home more these days. Not a fan of paying $60 for Vyvanse name brand vs $40 for the generic form of it, it’s pretty lovely.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Man I picked a really lovely time to get diagnosed with adult ADD.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Don't get it twisted, pharma companies are drug dealers and they want to sell you drugs at markup. If they could, they'd sell you desoxyn and numbrino OTC for as much money as they could get away with and still hold a captive market.

The DEA is absolutely the limiting factor here. They are an aggressively lovely group of people who don't even regulate the most destructive and deadly psychoactive substances - that's the ATF. They're a gang of moral scold cops who think they know better than the FDA (I know better than the FDA).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

Adderall prescriptions can't be transferred between pharmacies like that because of the whole controlled substance thing. The only way to "transfer" an Adderall prescription is to have your doctor fill out a whole new prescription and send it to the other pharmacy. And sometimes even that fucks up depending on poo poo like insurance issues, laws where you live, how long it takes your doc to cancel the old prescription and send the new one, etc etc etc.

I just looked it up, and Adderall is loving Schedule II? Jesus loving Christ. That's the same level as oxycodone, Demerol, and Dilaudid. That's loving bonkers.

The med I did that crazed roadtrip for is only Schedule IV, which I guess might have made it more transferable.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also, I reiterate: the shortage is not new, it’s been a problem for at least a decade. It just used to take until late summer/early fall to show itself.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just looked it up, and Adderall is loving Schedule II? Jesus loving Christ. That's the same level as oxycodone, Demerol, and Dilaudid. That's loving bonkers.

The med I did that crazed roadtrip for is only Schedule IV, which I guess might have made it more transferable.

Yup, it’s legally a narcotic and you can actually be charged with a DUI if you get into a wreck while under the influence of it, even with a prescription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ddiddles posted:

Man I picked a really lovely time to get diagnosed with adult ADD.
____________________________________________________\