Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just looked it up, and Adderall is loving Schedule II?

Speed is speed is speed and speed fucks people up and should absolutely be heavily regulated.

The regulation and profit motives are out of alignment, severely, and until you subsidize the manufacture of speed, will continue to be so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

Yup, it’s legally a narcotic and you can actually be charged with a DUI if you get into a wreck while under the influence of it, even with a prescription.

That's true of a lot of drugs, including the one I road-raced to pick up on that trip. And it was a benzo, which you would think would rationally be of at least as much concern as Adderall or Ritalin (which is also Schedule II, apparently). loving Valium is Schedule IV, despite being one of the first major pharmaceuticals to have its own addiction crisis.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Speed is speed is speed and speed fucks people up and should absolutely be heavily regulated.

The regulation and profit motives are out of alignment, severely, and until you subsidize the manufacture of speed, will continue to be so.

I take Modafinil, which is a weird non-amphetamine stimulant, and it's Schedule IV. It feels like the opioid epidemic panic has spilled over onto ADHD meds for some reason, or that there's some weird conflation between meth and any amphetamine-derived drug, even though Ritalin is not an amphetamine.

Even your economic arguments don't seem to fully explain the bizarre and stupid situation that has arisen around ADHD meds.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
What’s the deal with modanafil? Increase production and dopamine at all?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's true of a lot of drugs, including the one I road-raced to pick up on that trip. And it was a benzo, which you would think would rationally be of at least as much concern as Adderall or Ritalin (which is also Schedule II, apparently). loving Valium is Schedule IV, despite being one of the first major pharmaceuticals to have its own addiction crisis.

I mean, alcohol is also schedule IV.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Even your economic arguments don't seem to fully explain the bizarre and stupid situation that has arisen around ADHD meds.

Ponder this question: do you think most people in drug manufacturing are qualified professionals, or people off the street looking for a job who can pass a UA?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Two days ago I was at Walgreens and I overheard a pharmacist tell someone on the phone that they were out of all name-brand Adderall. Remembering that I had just ran out of Adderall that very day, I asked this same pharmacist if they had the generic version of my dosage in stock (making sure to specify the word "generic" at least 4 or 5 separate times), to which she said that they did have it. I then immediately texted my psych to send my new prescription to that Walgreens.
do so. I can't function without this medication. :(

I've found with other folk I know that dosage has alot to do with these problems. Get into exotic or high dosages and your gonna have a hard time.

If you have a high dosage it's going to increase linear to the dosage your ability to fill your script. Been on it a year....it helps a ton. Of course more speed works better! But the brain chemistry side of it. You only need a little bit to adjust your baseline.

I have a real low dosage and haven't had any issues, I just make sure I call ahead the previous day and right after they say, " I have to go check if we have any " I go, "Generic is just fine.". If I deviate from that script I've had issues. If I don't. Smooth sailing.

I have a name brand script with subs allowed. Name brand costs me standard script price on insurance, generic is actually 10$ more, but I'm always guaranteed to get it either way when I show up.

Buying real, fun, drugs was easier.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Well as a counter point, I've had to call 10+ pharmacies for the 20mg and 30mg prescriptions i got over the last two months, though I just started 40mg and the first pharmacy I called had it.

It's absolutely insane to me when I ask if they can check their other locations to see if they have any in stock, they always say they have no way of knowing whats actually in stock at any given time. Seems...bad?

Edit: forgot this was an Adderall thread, maybe its different for vyvanse

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

MrQwerty posted:

Ponder this question: do you think most people in drug manufacturing are qualified professionals, or people off the street looking for a job who can pass a UA?

the people actually making it, or the middle management/PR/sales?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

OMFG FURRY posted:

the people actually making it, or the middle management/PR/sales?

The people making it, where the actual money is being thrown around in real-time

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

ddiddles posted:

Edit: forgot this was an Adderall thread, maybe its different for vyvanse

Vyvanese is also used to treat ADHD, is also a form of amphetamine, and the Adderall shortage is also causing a shortage in Vyvanese, so it's definitely a relevant topic to discuss ITT!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vyvanse is an amphetamine prodrug that turns into dextroamphetamine upon metabolism

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

This also goes back to dealing with the DEA.

Dealing with the DEA is a loving nightmare. Training your people to deal with all the extra regs and DEA paperwork (hundreds of extra pages of hand-written paperwork that can only be printed once) when they're already overloaded on 8 different national/economic regional regulatory agencies bullshit depending on what they're making that day is not cheap. loving that poo poo up is not cheap or a particularly good time.
My experience is with injectables. Teardowns take 2-5x longer than normal depending on the crew. Teardowns require someone who knows how to recover, measure, and bag & tag controlled substances. There are hard limits as to how much pure drug is allowed to be unrecoverable and undocumented, the margin was like 1.5-2% for ephedrine and buprenorphine (the two I worked on).

I wouldn't loving bother either if the margin was as thin as it is on speed. Neither would you. That's a problem, because ultimately the pharma industry and DEA are two competing/cooperating drug cartels and all they care about is bottom line.

To add to this, drug markets or any market needs flexibility to avoid shortages. If say a grocery store's egg supplier can't keep up a guy gets on the phone and works out some last minute, off-the-cuff egg deal to fill the gap. That happens all day every day in every industry imaginable. The regulations around controls are so rigid gaps in supply can't be filled.

ddiddles posted:

It's absolutely insane to me when I ask if they can check their other locations to see if they have any in stock, they always say they have no way of knowing whats actually in stock at any given time. Seems...bad?

Often they're not allowed to check to discourage "drug seeking". Yes, trying to find out where you can fill a valid prescription from your doctor can be considered "drug seeking" You just have to accept none of this stuff is rational or fair.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Pekinduck posted:

If say a grocery store's egg supplier can't keep up a guy gets on the phone and works out some last minute, off-the-cuff egg deal to fill the gap.

Not at all true. If we can’t get the brand of eggs (or milk, or cheese, or whatever) specced for a shelf space, that spot stays empty because getting corporate to approve a sub happens basically never, and the supplier will absolutely not send us something we are not approved for because it’s a contract violation.

At best, we order more of something we are approved for and spread it out to make the shelf look nice, but then when the right product does come in we’ve got a bunch of extra poo poo that we now have to clear out before it expires, often at a steep discount.

This is the reality of JIT retail. Having “some in the back” is anathema, so if there’s none available this week to order then welp we’re out till there is.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
my pharmacy has been keeping my addies on deck no problemo. They really know what they're doing over there

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I took desoxyn for 20 years but now I'm lucky if I can get Dexedrine in my Western US state.

It's loving hella dumb

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

my pharmacy has been keeping my addies on deck no problemo. They really know what they're doing over there
I'm curious about this

because rite-aid was doing pretty well for me, so when they closed down and I had to switch to another pharmacy I was like "gently caress, this is gonna suck," but it's actually been about the same, so now I'm thinking it might be a regional thing. higher density population centers having more robust supply lines maybe? different states having different infrastructure and regulations? illuminati?

I've gotten delayed for a few days, maybe a week at most, from time to time, but nothing like what I hear from elsewhere
switching to a different medication where you have no idea what the difference in effect will be on your brain chemistry just because it's more likely to be available sounds like an absurd nightmare

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cubone posted:

I'm curious about this

because rite-aid was doing pretty well for me, so when they closed down and I had to switch to another pharmacy I was like "gently caress, this is gonna suck," but it's actually been about the same, so now I'm thinking it might be a regional thing. higher density population centers having more robust supply lines maybe? different states having different infrastructure and regulations? illuminati?

I've gotten delayed for a few days, maybe a week at most, from time to time, but nothing like what I hear from elsewhere
switching to a different medication where you have no idea what the difference in effect will be on your brain chemistry just because it's more likely to be available sounds like an absurd nightmare

I actually think a lot of this has to do with how closely state regulators monitor what doctors are writing. If the state doesn’t give a crap and/or check up, doctors write whatever they want.

Most states are worried about opioids, so that’s their first priority. Amphetamines are waaaaay down the list.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Pekinduck posted:

To add to this, drug markets or any market needs flexibility to avoid shortages. If say a grocery store's egg supplier can't keep up a guy gets on the phone and works out some last minute, off-the-cuff egg deal to fill the gap. That happens all day every day in every industry imaginable. The regulations around controls are so rigid gaps in supply can't be filled.

Often they're not allowed to check to discourage "drug seeking". Yes, trying to find out where you can fill a valid prescription from your doctor can be considered "drug seeking" You just have to accept none of this stuff is rational or fair.

not telling people over the phone what you have in stock, pain in the rear end though it can be, also makes it a lot more work to knock over a pharmacy for the drugs themselves

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Cubone posted:

I'm curious about this

You could also be lucking out with your particular dosage or type. I used to go to a Walgreens who had their 20mg XR on back order for something like half a year, and then suddenly that was consistently available while the 10mg IR (which I'd been using to substitute) went on backorder for months at a time. :iiam:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

my local cvs doesn't even stock opiates of any kind because they got robbed too many times to be insurable

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I helped take delivery of CS APIs a couple times while I was waiting to go into a cleanroom, because I had a freezer/sample key so i was trusted.

Taking delivery of kilos of pure ephedrine and buprenorphine out of a freezer truck surrounded by suits and federal drug cops with their hands on their guns sure is something.

The DEA really didn't like kilos of pure ephedrine going to a plant in NM, all those guys talked about was breaking bad.

The first time I was asked to take a CS delivery, my boss asked me, "hey wanna go do something where you might get shot if you gently caress up? You're the only qualified operator to do it on D shift and it has to happen right now!"
I had more creds to take those deliveries than anyone in compounding other than their supe lol. I only took deliveries when I was out of an A-class cleanroom and he was in a C-class mixing drugs, it didn't happen very often.

poo poo happened on the dock, too, so I'd dress out to street clothes, walk around the back and hop up the back of the dock and start talking to DEA in jeans and a High on Fire shirt while I signed for 20kg of 99.7% pure, according to the COA, ephedrine

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 24, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It feels like the opioid epidemic panic has spilled over onto ADHD meds for some reason, or that there's some weird conflation between meth and any amphetamine-derived drug, even though Ritalin is not an amphetamine.

Also regarding this: dextroamphetamine is stronger than methamphetamine in immediate effects, but meth has that methyl group so metabolism takes a lot longer. That's why desoxyn and ER adderall are narcolepsy meds.

Real speed is CII along with methylphenidate because it not only does what it says, but it's really fun to do, and that causes a lot of problems. That's how drugs get on CI and CII. Blow is CII, there's literally not a better topical agent for eye and nasal surgeries. Lol that weed is still CI but speed and blow are CII, but I digress.

Weed and psychedelics are really the only thing I have a major problem with on the drug schedule, and giving people quotas and signature requirements for otc not-fun meth absolutely hurt the street meth industry where I live when it happened, and that was a good thing. Speed and drugs like it should absolutely be tightly controlled. It's the profit motive of one cartel and then sometimes the profit motive vs. the regulatory motive of a cartel made up of cops that causes bullshit like artificial speed shortages.

CS manufacturing licenses and staffed, trained, validated facilities are not just things that spring out of the ether either, and heres the reality: are you going to overage manufacture an opiate or novel amphetamine like vyvanse with your CS license, or are you going to manufacture dextro-or-methamphetamine for 1/4 the profit of the other lot with double the overhead and drug cops?

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 24, 2024

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

can you image if there were a benzo shortage? Hahahahahaha.

But seriously, god help you all if there’s a benzo shortage.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Buce posted:

I don't eat benzos either if someone wants to get mad about that

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Is Vyvanse the one with real shortage rn? I thought about trying to get some since I cant' tolerate adderall any more

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Adderall and Vyvanse both have a shortage but yeah everyone I know on vyvanse is having an impossible time filling it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Buce posted:

Just mug Jordan Peterson, that should keep you going for a while

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Not at all true. If we can’t get the brand of eggs (or milk, or cheese, or whatever) specced for a shelf space, that spot stays empty because getting corporate to approve a sub happens basically never, and the supplier will absolutely not send us something we are not approved for because it’s a contract violation.

At best, we order more of something we are approved for and spread it out to make the shelf look nice, but then when the right product does come in we’ve got a bunch of extra poo poo that we now have to clear out before it expires, often at a steep discount.

This is the reality of JIT retail. Having “some in the back” is anathema, so if there’s none available this week to order then welp we’re out till there is.

Thanks I guess that was a bad example, I'm only familiar with the manufacturing end of things.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Pekinduck posted:

Thanks I guess that was a bad example, I'm only familiar with the manufacturing end of things.

Manufacturing has this thing called warehouse space. We have a back room that has space for about eight pallets before you start running into issues like not being able to access fire exits or the trash compactor. As it is, it’s currently packed full of product for the Q2 reset that doesn’t happen till sometime in the next week, and we will get multiple trucks before then that will go ???

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Buce posted:

I'm going through a benzo dependency right now, so yeah that'd be pretty bad.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm going through a benzo dependency right now, so yeah that'd be pretty bad.

When you decide you’ve had enough, go to the hospital to detox because those withdrawals are not a loving joke and pretty much any third party rehab facility is not equipped to handle them.

Hospital bills suck, but so do seizures in the middle of Walmart.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

When you decide you’ve had enough, go to the hospital to detox because those withdrawals are not a loving joke and pretty much any third party rehab facility is not equipped to handle them.

Hospital bills suck, but so do seizures in the middle of Walmart.

There are some recovery places that do benzo withdrawal, but you're right that they are less common.

Really, depending on the severity of the dependence, type of benzo, dosages, and length of use, just doing a long slow titration can work, too. With a doctor guiding the process, of course - I'm not in any way attempting to minimize it. Benzo withdrawal should definitely be taken seriously, but it's not like every single case requires full-on hospitalization.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 25, 2024

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Poorly, OP!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my pharmacy has been able to fill my script on time for the past few months so that’s been a relief. their computer / my insurance is trying to charge me $250 each time though and tbh e pharmacist ‘applies a coupon’ each time to drop it down to $30

thank you, pharmacist

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There are some recovery places that do benzo withdrawal, but you're right that they are less common.

Really, depending on the severity of the dependence, type of benzo, dosages, and length of use, just doing a long slow titration can work, too. With a doctor guiding the process, of course - I'm not in any way attempting to minimize it. Benzo withdrawal should definitely be taken seriously, but it's not like every single case requires full-on hospitalization.

I'm doing a doctor-guided titration now. It was going pretty smoothly until last month I had a couple of panic attacks about a week apart that were so bad I called 911. After that I relapsed a bit and have to titrate back down all over again.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm doing a doctor-guided titration now. It was going pretty smoothly until last month I had a couple of panic attacks about a week apart that were so bad I called 911. After that I relapsed a bit and have to titrate back down all over again.

That loving sucks. I’m really lucky to never have gotten a benzo dependency even though my psych definitely tried.

Just an amphetamine addiction that took me a full year to recover from after I stopped cold turkey (do not recommend)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Coasterphreak posted:

That loving sucks. I’m really lucky to never have gotten a benzo dependency even though my psych definitely tried.

I've done a benzo titration before and it wasn't that bad, although that was coming off of (doctor-prescribed) daily Xanax usage. This one is coming off of short-acting Alprazolam that my doctor idiotically told me I could take every day without risk of dependency, and the problem is that my panic attacks are specifically about dying from a sudden brain- or heart-related event — neither of which I'm at risk for — and heeeeeey guess what two things panic attack symptoms just so happen to mimic? :shepface:

It might not bother me so much except that it's loving up my workout schedule REALLY bad. The panic starts to trigger from normal harmless poo poo that happens all the time during weightlifting and cardio exercise like small heart palpitations, and then slowly builds up over the course of the workout as I overthink every little feeling until it eventually becomes a full-blown attack sometime after I'm done. I went through a period of about two weeks where this happened consistently at almost every workout, and that was when I started relapsing on the benzo because it was the only thing I had that would stop the panic trigger before it started. Now I'm taking Propanolol to control the physical half of the panic symptoms, so there should be less need for the benzo, but I just started taking that a few days ago and haven't gotten a feel for its effects yet, and just the FEAR of having more workout panic attacks has already sent my energy levels and urge to go to the gym crashing hard.

It loving sucks. I'm going on a 4-year streak of regular weightlifting at least 4 or 5 days a week, and I've made huge progress. I don't want all of that to stop just because I have anxiety. :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

I've done a benzo titration before and it wasn't that bad, although that was coming off of (doctor-prescribed) daily Xanax usage. This one is coming off of short-acting Alprazolam that my doctor idiotically told me I could take every day without risk of dependency, and the problem is that my panic attacks are specifically about dying from a sudden brain- or heart-related event — neither of which I'm at risk for — and heeeeeey guess what two things panic attack symptoms just so happen to mimic? :shepface:

It might not bother me so much except that it's loving up my workout schedule REALLY bad. The panic starts to trigger from normal harmless poo poo that happens all the time during weightlifting and cardio exercise like small heart palpitations, and then slowly builds up over the course of the workout as I overthink every little feeling until it eventually becomes a full-blown attack sometime after I'm done. I went through a period of about two weeks where this happened consistently at almost every workout, and that was when I started relapsing on the benzo because it was the only thing I had that would stop the panic trigger before it started. Now I'm taking Propanolol to control the physical half of the panic symptoms, so there should be less need for the benzo, but I just started taking that a few days ago and haven't gotten a feel for its effects yet, and just the FEAR of having more workout panic attacks has already sent my energy levels and urge to go to the gym crashing hard.

It loving sucks. I'm going on a 4-year streak of regular weightlifting at least 4 or 5 days a week, and I've made huge progress. I don't want all of that to stop just because I have anxiety. :(

Just for the record, alprazolam is the generic name for Xanax.

And I'm sorry you're dealing with that - good luck with the titration. There are a few non-benzo drugs that could be tried aside from propanolol - hydroxyzine has become popular, clonidine sees a fair amount of use, and buspirone has been around forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I. M. Gei posted:

Used to get heart palpitations (PVCs) then started taking a daily magnesium supplement which stopped them.