Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly their peak was ww2 and not much since. lions led by donkeys did a pretty good episode on soviet invasion of afganistan and i believe the first checen war and it shows alot of the problems they had then, now.

Well on the plus side, Russia is done with power projection now. Getting back to it's 2020 equipment sense will take decades. War time economy can't last. China is probably the only country of replacing its losses in a war time economy and do it within a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly their peak was ww2 and not much since. lions led by donkeys did a pretty good episode on soviet invasion of afganistan and i believe the first checen war and it shows alot of the problems they had then, now.

Until the advent of electronics in portable weapons systems the analog and fully mechanical Soviet stuff was on par with the Western weapons, if not sometimes better, and they had more of them than all Europe+NATO combined. USSR also had triple the population of what Russia has now, and the age pyramid was still a pyramid. USSR lost the electronics and computers -race badly, and it started to show in the early 80's.

USSR and the Red Army was a real threat until the SU collapsed, and stuff like night vision or precision artillery/air strikes became cheap enough to use everywhere.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
We're soon on page 1337 of the stupid gently caress-gently caress games! What dorkery awaits???

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Karate Bastard posted:

We're soon on page 1337 of the stupid gently caress-gently caress games! What dorkery awaits???

Putin schedules a missile test and suddenly cancels it at the last moment and/or there's a sudden 7.8 richter scale reading somewhere in siberia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Karate Bastard posted:

To start with:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1773420890023145864
Is this something a country doing well for itself does? :thunk:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

zone posted:

To start with:

One fishbrick in every thousand has a diamond in it!

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

More proof of growing dedollarisation and US Hegemony already crumbling!

No doubt the much awaited BRICS dollar replacement currency will be coming any day now.

Any day now... Just wait... You'll see... Honest, its really coming! I know we've said this hundreds of times the last 15+ years but we REALLY REALLY mean it this time.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tigey posted:

No doubt the much awaited BRICS dollar replacement currency will be coming any day now.

Any day now... Just wait... You'll see... Honest, its really coming! I know we've said this hundreds of times the last 15+ years but we REALLY REALLY mean it this time.

The concept of BRICS is so dumb. The countries don't like each other but yet tankies talk about it being the next coming of Jesus Christ. The dollar is the go to internation currency for reason not because of some shadow group.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tai posted:

The concept of BRICS is so dumb. The countries don't like each other but yet tankies talk about it being the next coming of Jesus Christ. The dollar is the go to internation currency for reason not because of some shadow group.

Russia would honestly be better off going with bitcoin at this point

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lions led by donkeys

drunks led by pimps

zone
Dec 6, 2016

So this is what the second army of the world is now reduced to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zone posted:

To start with:

Just in time for lab diamonds to drop the price through the floor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

From wikipedia:

The canal aims to minimise shipping traffic in the Bosporus. It is projected to have a capacity of 160 vessel transits a day – similar to the current volume of traffic through the Bosporus, where traffic congestion leaves ships queuing for days to transit the strait.

Some analysts have speculated that the main reason for construction of the canal is to bypass the Montreux Convention, which limits the number and tonnage of warships from non-Black Sea powers that could enter the sea via the Bosporus, as well as prohibiting tolls on traffic passing through it. Indeed, in January 2018, the Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım announced that the Istanbul Canal would not be subject to the Montreux Convention.

The stated purpose of the project is to reduce the large marine traffic through the Bosporus and minimise the risks and dangers associated particularly with tankers.

About 41,000 vessels of all sizes pass yearly through the Istanbul Strait, among them 8,000 tankers carrying 145 million tons of crude oil. International pressure is growing to increase the marine traffic tonnage through the Turkish straits, which brings risks for the security of marine navigation during the passage.

Observers said the plan to charge transit fees to oil and gas tankers is unrealistic, as long as free passage is guaranteed through the Bosporous. However, Article 3 of the Montreux convention does allow sanitary inspections before transiting the Bosphorus, leading to speculation that Turkey might apply lengthy sanitary inspections, making the canal a faster alternative.

So it looks like it would give Turkey more freedom on tolls. Or let in more warships than allowed by the Convention.
You're currently not getting a carrier battle group into the black sea. Not even a french or british one!

Also reduced wait time as it's a very busy strait.

Would they even need to make the old canal worse to drive traffic to their toll road, if it's really backed up for days as it is? Surely some would pay the toll to essentially skip ahead of the free line a few days?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

EorayMel posted:

Good News!

https://tass.com/politics/1755521

quote:

Kremlin announces creation of blockchain-based payment system in BRICS

MOSCOW, March 5. /TASS/. BRICS will work to create an independent payment system based on digital currencies and blockchain, Kremlin aide Yury Ushakov said in an interview with TASS.

"We believe that creating an independent BRICS payment system is an important goal for the future, which would be based on state-of-the-art tools such as digital technologies and blockchain. The main thing is to make sure it is convenient for governments, common people and businesses, as well as cost-effective and free of politics," he said.

Ushakov said that the specific task for this year is to increase the role of BRICS in the international monetary and financial system. He recalled that in the 2023 Johannesburg Declaration, the leaders set the focus of BRICS countries on increasing settlements in national currencies and strengthening correspondent banking networks to secure international transactions. "Work will continue to develop the Contingent Reserve Arrangement, primarily regarding the use of currencies different from the US dollar," the Kremlin aide pointed out.
As they did with their 'politics free' gas exports, Russia will lead the way in creating a politics free payment system! And on the blockchain!

Now, who'll be the first to sign up? Anyone?

Tigey fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 29, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry I'm waiting for my doge coins to escrow

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tigey posted:

Good News!

As they did with their 'politics free' gas exports, Russia will lead the way in creating a politics free payment system! And on the blockchain!

All hail the new Empire of Legoland.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

EorayMel posted:

I think the army is trying its hardest to be virtual

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tigey posted:

Good News!

Sam Bankman-FraudFried crying in the distance.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tunicate posted:

Just in time for lab diamonds to drop the price through the floor

Did some breakthrough or market shakeup happen with lab diamonds recently? I’ve been hearing “lab diamonds will make natural diamonds cheap” for what feels like decades.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lab diamonds are made more expensive by the persistent value of mined diamonds, it seems to me

roughly-equivalent moissonite is a lot cheaper, mostly because “not diamond”

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Tigey posted:

Good News!

More like blockheadchain!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kestral posted:

Did some breakthrough or market shakeup happen with lab diamonds recently? I’ve been hearing “lab diamonds will make natural diamonds cheap” for what feels like decades.

Tech has improved a lot yeah, to the point where early adopters of the growth tech are getting priced out and collapsing. Lab diamonds are like a fifth to a third of all diamonds sold now.

Natural prices are coming down in response, it used to be graded diamond parcels were a very safe investment to park your money in since they consistently grew faster than inflation, that isnt the case now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Tech has improved a lot yeah, to the point where early adopters of the growth tech are getting priced out and collapsing. Lab diamonds are like a fifth to a third of all diamonds sold now.

Natural prices are coming down in response, it used to be graded diamond parcels were a very safe investment to park your money in since they consistently grew faster than inflation, that isnt the case now.

I've been seeing a lot of op ed pieces from the diamond industry swearing up and down that artificial diamonds are passe and the fad is going to pass aaaaaany day now. :allears:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Tigey posted:

To be fair Russia is very efficiently de-dollarising itself.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Moktaro posted:

More like blockheadchain!

What was the country that invested in block/crypto?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Venezuela

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What was the country that invested in block/crypto?

El Salvador put their whole treasury, or near to, into it

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

zone posted:

El Salvador put their whole treasury, or near to, into it

Yep, found this funnyish article naming https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/el-salvador-adopted-bitcoin-as-an-official-currency-salvadorans-mostly-shrugged

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The Petro was barely a thing. Got some tankies really excited at the time though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

the holy poopacy posted:

I've been seeing a lot of op ed pieces from the diamond industry swearing up and down that artificial diamonds are passe and the fad is going to pass aaaaaany day now. :allears:

"Diamonds are forever" now becoming a poetically ironic term.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Samovar posted:

This seems very... Callous? Very... Banal in the face of the political reality of the moment.

Or maybe I just find it to be stupidly cringe.

Not disagreeing that it's kinda cringe, but I also feel like this is a deep cut unless you're so nerdy as to be into the Star Trek soundtracks, not just the show. I gotta wonder how many people actually present would've pegged it as being from Star Trek, just as much as I wonder who the heck chose it.

I've also heard a couple times over the years that Jerry Goldsmith more or less copy'n'pasted the same theme song for Air Force One with Harrison Ford the year after First Contact came out, so if that's where they cribbed it from, uh... that's even more cringe...

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Karate Bastard posted:

*Svetlana, come on down! You are now the next contestant on The Blyat Is Right!*

Yes, Vasily, I would like to bid one fishbrick

ooh, sorry Svetlana. The real price of your husbands remains is less than one fishbrick! Aleksi, tell her what she's won!

*a one-way trip to glorious Siberia! You will now serve an all-expense paid lifetime visit to the great frontier of Mother Russia!*

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

beer_war posted:

The Petro was barely a thing. Got some tankies really excited at the time though.

my bad!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

beer_war posted:

Or the Iran Oil Bourse which would lead to the US invasion of Iran any moment back in 2008.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

zone posted:

So this is what the second army of the world is now reduced to.

ukraine should start hitting belarusian refineries too. they've been involved in this war from the start and what are they realistically going to do about it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

LordArgh posted:

ukraine should start hitting belarusian refineries too. they've been involved in this war from the start and what are they realistically going to do about it

whatever the benefits of attacking belarusian refineries, would be extremely outweighed by making another active front, when ukraine can't even man the one they're fighting over now

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

After numerous human meat wave attacks from the Russian front, Ukraine will never be able to stand the might of Belarus’s human pyramid attacks

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bohemian Nights posted:

whatever the benefits of attacking belarusian refineries, would be extremely outweighed by making another active front, when ukraine can't even man the one they're fighting over now

the belarusian army is completely useless and won't win anything except maybe a contest of circus tricks

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

LordArgh posted:

the belarusian army is completely useless and won't win anything except maybe a contest of circus tricks

even if they were the worst army in the world, they would still cost ammunition, artillery and manpower that ukraine just doesn't have to spare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

LordArgh posted:

Russia will absolutely meatwave Belarus if they can; even if it's a distraction, it's still getting a response.