Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1783777046709059717

quote:

A Russian official came straight to a college to recruit 18-year-old schoolchildren to go to war. He brought with him one who expressed a desire to sign a contract with the Ministry of Defense to die in Ukraine, since there is "no work in his town, nothing to do".

Moreover, the official said that "we won’t be able to get by with the current forces, there will be a second mobilisation", so apparently it’s better to sign up in now. The pupil passed his exams ahead of schedule and will almost immediately go to war.

The case happened in the Krasnoyarsk region. The official has already declared that he was “misunderstood”.
Wow, such a misunderstanding of trying to get people to die for that gang of chimps in the Kremlin :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

In what way, according to him, was there a "misunderstanding"? That he let it slip that further mobilization may be looming? Or that life in Russia is not so happy as propaganda claims?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I remember that scene from All Quiet on the Western Front.

Oh. This is 110 years later.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The contrast between Ukraine reluctantly conscripting 25 year olds for fear of hollowing out their future generation, and Russia straight up abducting teens for service is STARK.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Scam Likely posted:

The contrast between Ukraine reluctantly conscripting 25 year olds for fear of hollowing out their future generation, and Russia straight up abducting teens for service is STARK.

"But don't you see, Ukraine is just wasting and sacrificing their youth's lives, whereas Great Russia pays extremely well for their service to the motherland."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

"But don't you see, Ukraine is just wasting and sacrificing their youth's lives, whereas Great Russia pays extremely well for their service to the motherland."

"Here's your block of fish."

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

pro starcraft loser posted:

I remember that scene from All Quiet on the Western Front.

Oh. This is 110 years later.

110 years, yet the idiots remain the same. :ughh:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

"Here's your block of fish."

Sorry comrade, we're out of fish blocks, these two circus tickets will just have to do. :troll:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zone posted:

Sorry comrade, we're out of fish blocks, these two circus tickets will just have to do. :troll:

Also - the Circus is a recruiting event for the Army. And its mandatory.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1783800620295548960

quote:

One Russian general and member of the State Duma Defense Committee lied to the Russians that there were supposedly no mobilised people left at all, because they had all signed contracts, and the rest had already gone home, and supposedly no one in the Russian army fights against their will.

However, his words were criticized by one mobilised soldier who said that this was not only a complete lie, but that almost none of the mobs signed contracts, and no one went home either. But he also added that in the fall and winter of last year and this year, the mobilised regiments lost 1/3 or more in casualties in killed and wounded. Remnants of these regiments signed contracts. Thus, those mobilised are still saving the Russian army.

As we see, the mobik question remains sensitive for the Russian authorities that are trying to downplay the impact of mobilisation on the society.

Lies and coercion all the way down, from the top to the bottom

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Währenddessen in Österreich

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Antigravitas posted:

Stark difference to the German right who calls it Öko-Faschismus.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Every time I see a party with an Ö in its acronym I know I'm about to read the stupidest poo poo

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

My mind started wandering and I imagined $61b worth of doorbells & explosives scattered along the front.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My mind started wandering and I imagined $61b worth of doorbells & explosives scattered along the front.

Every single tree has 5 doorbells. Pick the right one to win a prize!

Burns
May 10, 2008

I find it almost scammy in the way the money is utilized. I bet if UA was just given money to buy poo poo they need a lot of their material woes would be solved much faster. Like, let them buy 1000 abrams if they want to. Poland bought 250 Abrams tanks for 1 billion as comparison.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Burns posted:

I find it almost scammy in the way the money is utilized. I bet if UA was just given money to buy poo poo they need a lot of their material woes would be solved much faster. Like, let them buy 1000 abrams if they want to. Poland bought 250 Abrams tanks for 1 billion as comparison.

I wonder what 1,000 F15s could do.

Burns
May 10, 2008

hydroceramics posted:

I wonder what 1,000 F15s could do.

Well, i suppose the F15 would finally fight tje war it was made for.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Burns posted:

Well, i suppose the F15 would finally fight tje war it was made for.

Lmao just did some googling; during Desert Storm the US used 1,600 aircraft of all types. 1k F15s would have air dominance established pdq.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

hydroceramics posted:

Lmao just did some googling; during Desert Storm the US used 1,600 aircraft of all types. 1k F15s would have air dominance established pdq.

Only if you throw in some AWACS and Wild Weasels (or Growlers). The SEAD campaign was brutal.

Also the almost 300 Tomahawks used... As an opening salvo.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Burns posted:

Maybe you have better insight but that's not what I'm reading in regards to corruption.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
ed: nm, not relevant.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 26, 2024

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1783867117986525682

quote:

Evacuation of Kyiv hospitals is connected with threats from the head of the SSC of Belarus, ivan tertel.

At the meeting of the All-Belarusian People’s Assembly, he invented another nonsense 🤡:

"In the fight against terrorism, we act according to the laws of wartime. There are killed and wounded among the terrorists, and they will be punished, despite the fact that they chose Kyiv hospitals at 30-32 Bohatyrska as their lair, where they actually hid behind the backs of sick children."
Why is this moron suddenly mouthing off? He kept his mouth shut for a while before now, is this another poor attempt at psyops?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWxOWSp432A

Shoot me

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Kid on the left at 1:21 not enthusiastic enough. Recommend family for reeducation.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Burns posted:

For most things that would make sense, but heavy military equipment has long lead times. These contracts take a while to deliver. For example, the Abrams tanks that Poland bought in 2022 will be delivered in 2025-26. Better to give them stuff straight from the stocks rather than make them wait.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

golden bubble posted:

For most things that would make sense, but heavy military equipment has long lead times. These contracts take a while to deliver. For example, the Abrams tanks that Poland bought in 2022 will be delivered in 2025-26. Better to give them stuff straight from the stocks rather than make them wait.

Also there is training if you are introducing new equipment. Say we did give them 1000 F-15's. How long would it take to train the pilots to fly enough of them to have a real impact in the war? Same with the "just give them a Ticonderoga class cruiser". Training up a full crew for it, or even a bare-bones crew just enough to get it to some point where it could launch missiles, which would also take training, and having a least a minimal ability to defend itself, more training.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is there any realistic possibility that once Ukraine gets their jets they can strike deep behind enemy lines?

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1784085175917240711
:(

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

redshirt posted:

Is there any realistic possibility that once Ukraine gets their jets they can strike deep behind enemy lines?

They will continue to strike deep behind enemy lines even after they get the f16s. I think your question is "are they gonna fly those f16s into Russia?" and the answer at the moment is no, almost certainly not. Air-defence, "escalation management" etc.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Also there is training if you are introducing new equipment. Say we did give them 1000 F-15's. How long would it take to train the pilots to fly enough of them to have a real impact in the war? Same with the "just give them a Ticonderoga class cruiser". Training up a full crew for it, or even a bare-bones crew just enough to get it to some point where it could launch missiles, which would also take training, and having a least a minimal ability to defend itself, more training.

Even more reasons why we should have just given them all the good poo poo when we figured out Russia was going to invade.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Burns posted:

Studies show that when doing aid donations whether in social programs or foreign aid, directly giving money is more effective than trying to decide what someone else needs for them; it's almost like people are pretty capable of figuring out what they need on their own better than someone who is breathing over their shoulder trying to make sure they don't spend it on the "wrong" things.

The caveat to this with military aid from the US is that there is some creative accounting going on where donated stocks are listed as much lower values than their sticker price, should they be bought directly. The tradeoff here would mean less materiel overall.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

There's a possibility that they're not getting jets because they'll deep strike Moscow with them, and then Putin will just Dead Hand NATO as a final "gently caress you" crab bucket death move. Or there's a proviso on getting them to prevent the aforementioned.

aniviron posted:

Studies show that when doing aid donations whether in social programs or foreign aid, directly giving money is more effective than trying to decide what someone else needs for them; it's almost like people are pretty capable of figuring out what they need on their own better than someone who is breathing over their shoulder trying to make sure they don't spend it on the "wrong" things.

The caveat to this with military aid from the US is that there is some creative accounting going on where donated stocks are listed as much lower values than their sticker price, should they be bought directly. The tradeoff here would mean less materiel overall.

The other reasons for direct monetary aid is that it's easier to prevent graft and other financial skimming of aid. There's a lot of money taken from Red Cross donations for essential things like the donation phone bank and accountants to keep track of it all, but there's also money going towards executive pay and advertising in excess of what's necessary, and for the amount pouring into Ukraine? Someone shifty could get rich, and quickly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mistle posted:

There's a possibility that they're not getting jets because they'll deep strike Moscow with them, and then Putin will just Dead Hand NATO as a final "gently caress you" crab bucket death move. Or there's a proviso on getting them to prevent the aforementioned.

What? What do you mean? They're getting F16's it's a done deal.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/RealJakeBroe/status/1783973226689011730

Apparently GLSDB was tried and did not work due to jamming and also problems with using it in battlefield conditions and not a nice clean test range.
Hopefully they are now working to resolve these issues, it always seemed like the perfect fit for the battle now being fought.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1784132319785173251
Mein monke..... the UMPK.......

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Thank you all for posting updates on the war. I don't have a Twitter account, and most of the frontline news seems to be all posted there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1784046949571707150