Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Bertha the Toaster posted:

This is probably fake, but with the weird shed tanks we've been seeing, who knows.

Russia slowly transitioning out of OPEC into COPEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mikojan posted:

Russia slowly transitioning out of OPEC into COPEC

lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1784339040080203906
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1784345854377165299
xaxaxaxaxa mighty Russia shoot down all weak wectoid missiles :rolleyes:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

zone posted:

xaxaxaxaxa mighty Russia shoot down all weak wectoid missiles :rolleyes:

Shame about all that debris from the shot down missiles hitting stuff.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1784459345456951331
Just another day in the Big Land, huh?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
In a pleasant turn of events, my nation's political system did something other than inflate housing prices to appease boomers:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...P=share_btn_url

:australia:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sic Semper Goon posted:

In a pleasant turn of events, my nation's political system did something other than inflate housing prices to appease boomers:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...P=share_btn_url

:australia:

cool that you linked the guardian. no problems with that

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You prefer Fox News or what

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The guardian is one of the few media outlets in Australia that aren't owned by the Packers or Murdoch

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1784487683877683630

Why is it always "information control" with these morons?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

we will use asymmetric warfare

(by getting owned disproportionately)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

we will use asymmetric warfare

(by getting owned disproportionately)

And speaking of!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1784512916726714763

quote:

Peskov says that the confiscation of Russian assets in the United States would lead to dire consequences, destroy the reliability of the United States as a guarantor of investors’ finances, and that Russia would definitely take the opportunity to litigate this issue.

He also adds that this is a stupid, ill-considered decision made overnight.

Is he talking about the “SMO” by any chance?
:qq:

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1784527883488096326
Live action copium, lmao

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Putin is the ultimate unhealthy poo poo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"It's a Dutch Armada!!"

Maybe he doth protest too much :nsa:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rust Martialis posted:

You prefer Fox News or what

Isn't the Guardian owned by that Australian dickhead too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the guardian has been labour party-aligned for 70 years or so, and therefore has been vicious enemies of the murdochs for 2 generations, edging into the third. you're thinking of the sun, probably. they (the guardian) were tories in the 1950s but not by the 1960s

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 28, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Isn't the Guardian owned by that Australian dickhead too

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=manchester+guardian+owner&l=1

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the guardian has been labour party-aligned for 60 years or so, and therefore has been vicious enemies of the murdochs for 2 generations, edging into the third. you're thinking of the sun, probably.

oh, my bad. I thought it was a bad one. It's hard to keep track of that poo poo sometimes

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1784519042130210873

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you wanna insult the guardian, you call it the grauniad, because its typography and spellchecking was poo poo for decades. nowadays journos have to do their own typography and spellchecking so it's poo poo everywhere, so it's quite the old-timey insult

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Grauniad

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ATTN: VICTORY DAY HAS BEEN CANCELLED THIS YEAR DUE TO ONGOING 3 DAY SECURITY OPERATION

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Actually car factories burn down in every country every day, but the racist newspapers just don't report it because they want to make Russia look bad.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lol at a lowly “ crest” resistance cadre forcing your most revered Immortal Regiment March offline for two consecutive years. More of a display case-grade immortal menagerie of fragile trinkets imho.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/UkrReview/status/1784512537066615006
Italy is planning to send Storm Shadows as well. Sounds like a third reason for Russian clowns to cry.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

oh, my bad. I thought it was a bad one. It's hard to keep track of that poo poo sometimes

Oh, it IS a bad one. But for different reasons than the Murdoch pieces of poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

Italy is planning to send Storm Shadows as well. Sounds like a third reason for Russian clowns to cry.

SMH, nowadays you can't even count on fascists to help uncle Vladimir

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

zone posted:

That image is terrifying.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

In all fairness, you cancel the events not because you think Ukraine is going to drone strike the parade, but because Ukraine would use the opportunity of diverted military to strike more appropriate targets with greater ease.

Someone has a minimum of intelligence in Moscow that will surely impress the world :smuggo:

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The forbidden dolphin

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I wonder when they'll finallt bomb Belarus. It's like this tentative agreement that we don't do even a centimeter more to help russia and they don't do any response.
I am trying with all my might to gently caress off back to Georgia and I simply can't. I am almost at the stage to ask mods to let me create a money begging thread to salvage a goon from :piss: circumstances

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Is it the nipple?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm looking forward to basic aspects of Russian society breaking down, whether it be from drone attack directly, or the lingering paranoia....

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I would have posted the only source that can be trusted at once and without question (Conspiracy theorists tweakers on Facebook) but alas, I don't have a account. :shrug:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Article on CNN about some Russian military gains. Yes, it does cite Twitter talking heads, because CNN :downswords:

Posting it here for completeness that Russia still has a ton of men, and losing a key city can be devastating to Ukraine as a whole, since battlegrounds tend to end up smoking pile of rubble. You can win the battle, or a war, but loose the long attrition that tends to come when dealing with Russia.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/28/europe/russia-daily-gains-ukraine-military-criticism-intl/index.html

quote:

Vladimir Putin’s forces have made further gains in at least three locations along the eastern front in Ukraine – including for the first time in several months an advance in the northern Kharkiv region – highlighting again Kyiv’s need for ammunition and weapons from the United States and other allies.

Russia’s tactical advances are now daily and reflect the new tempo on the battlefield since the fall of the industrial town of Avdiivka in February.

The gains are generally modest -– from a few hundred meters of territory to perhaps a kilometer at most – but they are usually taking place in several locations at once.

Russian oil refineries and military airfield targeted in drone attack, as thermal energy plants are damaged in Ukraine
Meanwhile, Ukraine’s losses are being accompanied by criticism from influential military bloggers and analysts of the armed forces’ official battlefield updates.

One of Russia’s main efforts is in the Donetsk region. Ukraine’s DeepState monitoring group, which updates daily changes in frontline positions, shows Russian forces pushing forward in eight different locations along 20-25 kms of frontline in one 24-hour period.

Military bloggers on both sides have reported that Russian forces have crossed a water course and taken control of the settlements of Semenivka and Berdychi – which Ukrainian army chief Oleksandr Syrskyi confirmed in a post on Telegram on Sunday. Russia had deployed up to four brigades in offensive operations in the area, Syrskyi said.

A few kilometers to the north, Soloviove is now also reported to be in Russian hands, and the tiny settlement of Keramik at least partially so as well.

“The withdrawal in the Donetsk operational zone continues,” the Ukrainian military blogger Myroshnykov wrote.

Slightly further south, Russian forces are also making headway in the industrial town of Krasnohorivka, entering from the south and the east.

Fierce fighting has been reported around the town’s large brick factory. One Russian military blogger wrote of the battle’s importance: “The liberation (sic) of the refractory plant would actually mean the fall of the Krasnohorivka fortification, as the northern outskirts of the settlement are private buildings, which will be too difficult to defend if the plant is lost.”

Elsewhere, about 180kms (112 miles) to the north, Russia’s forces have also achieved their first successes in almost three months along that part of the frontline that cuts into Kharkiv region.

A Ukrainian army spokesman described Russian forces there as having become “significantly more active” over the past day, while DeepState assessed a Russian advance of between one and two kilometers into the village of Kyslivka.

Overall, the frontlines in this region have been among the most stable since Ukraine recaptured a large swath of territory in Kharkiv region in late summer of 2022.

With withdrawals and losses accumulating, military bloggers such as Myroshnykov and the DeepState site have both taken aim at official Ukrainian communications, accusing the armed forces of increasingly unrealistic updates from the battlefield.

DeepState, in a post on Telegram, published a graphic video of a Russian soldier being killed in a drone strike in the village of Soloviove – but used the clip to argue that isolated incidents can mask the bigger picture, which it accused the military of doing as well.

“You can watch with pleasure forever the video of a Russian (soldier) being torn to pieces,” DeepState wrote, “but nearby there is another location that requires attention: Muscovites calmly moving around the village, keeping it under control. The (Ukrainian) Defense Forces inflict fire damage on them, and one can repeat at least a billion times (on national television) that two-thirds of the village is under the control of the Ukrainian military, but the picture of reality is completely different.”

That assessment – that two-thirds of Soloviove village was under Ukrainian control – was made by Nazar Voloshyn, spokesperson of the Khortytsia operational-strategic group, on Ukrainian TV on Saturday. Nearby Ocheretyne was also still two-thirds controlled by Ukraine, which had things in hand, he said.

For its part, DeepState sees it differently, assessing that Russian troops have been in control of the center of Ocheretyne village, including the railway station, for at least three days. Last week, the monitoring site made a similar complaint against the military accusing “some spokespersons” of incompetence.

Ukrainian army chief Syrskyi appeared to address those concerns in his Telegram post on Sunday suggesting that misunderstandings were due to the fluidity of developments.

“There is a dynamic change in the situation, some positions change hands several times a day, which give rise to an ambiguous understanding of the situation,” he wrote.

But he also acknowledged Ukraine’s overall situation had deteriorated.

“The situation at the front has escalated. Trying to seize the strategic initiative and break through the front line, the enemy has concentrated its main efforts in several directions, creating a significant advantage in forces and in means,” he added.

Ukrainian servicemen on an armored carrier return from the Semenivka battlefield near Avdiivka on March 4.
Ukrainian servicemen on an armored carrier return from the Semenivka battlefield near Avdiivka on March 4. Narciso Contreras/Anadolu via Getty Images
Russia last made small gains in the region in late January and early February, but DeepState assesses a new advance of between one and two kilometers into the village of Kyslivka. Overall, the frontlines in this region have been relatively stable since Ukraine recaptured a large swath of territory in Kharkiv region in late summer of 2022.

Russian forces are also making headway west of Donetsk city, entering the industrial town of Krasnohorivka from the south and the east.

Fierce fighting has been reported around a large brick factory. One Russian military blogger wrote of the battle’s importance: “The liberation (sic) of the refractory plant would actually mean the fall of the Krasnohorivka fortification, as the northern outskirts of the settlement are private buildings, which will be too difficult to defend if the plant is lost.”

Many Western analysts, along with Ukrainian officials, see Russia’s current stepped-up tempo as a precursor to a major offensive attempt later this spring. It is also assumed Moscow wants to take advantage of its significant advantage in ammunition before US supplies – greenlit last week after six months of political stasis – get to the frontlines.

The Institute for the Study of War (ISW) assesses that there will be more short-term setbacks for Ukraine, though without major strategic defeats.

“Russian forces will likely make significant tactical gains in the coming weeks as Ukraine waits for US security assistance to arrive at the front but remain unlikely to overwhelm Ukrainian defenses,” it wrote.

Ukraine’s other major quantitative weakness, which also helps explain recent battlefield trajectories, is manpower. A new mobilization law comes into effect next month, which is expected to improve conscription processes. But Kyiv has proved highly reluctant to say clearly how many more soldiers it needs, while Moscow keeps increasing numbers.

“The quality (of Russian fighters) of course varies, but the quantitative advantage is a serious problem, Rob Lee of Foreign Policy Research Institute, posted on X.

“Without (its) manpower advantage, Russia’s artillery and airpower advantage would not be sufficient for Russia to make gains on the battlefield. The relative manpower situation is likely the most important factor that will determine the war’s trajectory, particularly if Russia can sustain recruiting 20-30k a month,” Lee adds.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
what happens when Putin dies, who is going to take over Russia?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I would have posted the only source that can be trusted at once and without question (Conspiracy theorists tweakers on Facebook) but alas, I don't have a account. :shrug:

I got the guardian and the sun confused, my bad. People already corrected me

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I got the guardian and the sun confused, my bad. People already corrected me

Yeah, I saw that. It's all cool. Relax. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what happens when Putin dies, who is going to take over Russia?

We can only theorise, but the math indicates that the table becomes infinitely long and not even light can reach the end. This would mean it takes an infinite amount of time for accurate information to reach Putin, so no change lol