Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You could put that on the cover of a science fiction novel as-is. It'd make a great early-model Bolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

From the d&d pic thread:

:hmmyes:

Big "you don't gotta hand it to them" energy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Beau of the Fifth clarifies Prigozhin's earlier statements about declaring victory and leaving. interesting.

He's a good explainer, and I've seen a similar analysis from a couple of other sources. Not that you need a lot of support to conclude that Prigozhin is talking out of his rear end,

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Deki posted:

A Chamberlain for the modern era.

It'll work this time!

I occasionally point out that Chamberlain had been on the Imperial Defense Committee for most of the 1930s and had been pushing for rearming just as fast as possible. Britain and France weren't ready in 1938, they were in 1939. The acceleration of tank and airplane construction up until the start of the war is honestly impressive, and the Chain Home air defense radar network was up and running when Britain declared war. Chamberlain was buying time, too bad he was spending Czechoslovakia to get it. The alternative was France being beaten faster and a Battle of Britain fought in 1938 or 39 with the country wide open to air attack.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Philonius posted:

I'm not sure if an earlier war would be better or worse for the allies

I'm not sure about the balance of forces, poorly organized French armor is always going to be a problem. But this is a really hard hypothetical to evaluate. I think the only thing we can be sure is that the British weren't going to start anything until Chain Home was complete and backed up by modern fighters.

I think the big thing in France's favor if the war cooks off a year early is that the Wehrmacht wouldn't have the lessons learned from combat operations in Poland. The biggest reason for the Phony War on Germany's side was their recognition that they needed to take the time to update their doctrine and then train on it. Germany attacking France in 1939 with the doctrine they went into Poland with is a very fraught proposition.

It's all moot if the British aren't willing to take their chances with a Douhet-ist bombing campaign with possibly poison gas strikes on London. Chain Home and another year's worth of Spitfires and Hurricanes was a precondition for them provoking an armed conflict.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

Have you read anything published since Chamberlain's diaries were released decades ago? They completely disproved the idea of Chamberlain just buying time, he genuinely thought he could avoid war.

The concept of the balance of power being worse for the West in 1938 was also discredited years ago. Williamson Murray (among many others) has good essays and books about it.

News to me, thanks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

A couple pages off from WW1 chat but if anyone is interested The Great War is a pretty excellent channel that charts the war week by week. Obviously it's not as in-depth given the scope it has to cover every week but it's a good way to set yourself in the mindset of how many insane things were happening almost daily for four years straight.

That's an excellent channel. They do a week by week series, supplemented with 3-4 short videos expanding on specific topics or people. They're currently running possibly YouTube's best history series on WW2 week by week, with an accompanying War On Humanity series covering the civilian casualty toll and more detail on the Holocaust as it happens than is possibly good for you. I definitely appreciate the ironic tension between really good animated maps of the front lines on a divisional scale juxtaposed with death tolls from bombing raids and extermination camps. Gotta keep perspective, war sucks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm getting a really strong "What is best in life?" vibe from this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's talk that Ukraine have managed to get a footing on the other side of the Dnipro. I can't image it's going to amount to much beyond a way to annoy Russia; it would surely have to take a major collapse on Russia's part to let it gain too much traction.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/23/new-ukraine-positions-near-kherson-could-signal-spring-offensive-report

It looks to be pretty small scale so far, just light infantry. They are deployed close to a wrecked bridge east of Kherson, so the UAF may be bootstrapping a force to hold the far end while engineers do a quick repair job.

Drone footage of a squad landing from a small boat, with rough geolocation. This is already out on Telegram (note the watermarked @), so no opsec violation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnJQ8JVHQs

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, because it's basically a big neon sign to all your possible trade partners that you are not trust worthy enough to make deals with and they would be better off looking elsewhere.

On top of that, the contractees sue in EU courts, win, and get a judgement. They can be made whole out of frozen Russian assets, and the Kremlin really really does not want to start that avalanche.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tigey posted:

Is it Gonzalo Lira?

If it was, I'm ready for a three hour video of Lazerpig laughing uncontrollably.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

What we've heard is that Ukraine has 9 brigades organized along NATO lines. Some of them have NATO AFVs. Those are the core of the UAF's mobile reserve and are going to suffer terrible losses in an offensive, especially if they advance beyond the GBAD umbrella. Ukraine has a lot of Western equipment in the replenishment pipeline, so they can afford to take losses in an offensive.

Nine brigades. That's basically two corps or one army. In WW2 the same ground was fought over by army groups. Ukraine can smash the gently caress out of front-line positions with a maximal effort by PGMs and drone operators, but exploitation behind the lines is going to be costly even in the good scenarios. I think they can reach the Black Sea with an offensive in Zaporizhya, but it'll be costly and extend the lines they have to defend when it comes time to hold their gains.

They do have to do something to ensure support for a long war. Perun says it best, so ignore me and go watch his video from today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a feint to distract from the thunder run to Moscow

Google Maps says it's less than a 12-hour drive from Kharkiv to Moscow...

Like, not in an MBT/IFV but it's not THAT far and there's probably nothing near that route that could slow down a mechanized brigade.

I'll have a Baconator Combo with a root beer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Not wrong about the UK economy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Icept posted:

fast translation or best idiom ever?

I think in the last year-plus we'd have seen "hat throwing" before, so I'm going with either a weird translation artifact, or it's a new idiom.

Either way, I like it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

does this mean Macron gave up his bullshit 'diplomacy' push?

My theory on Macron is that he's been pursuing a low odds, high reward diplomatic strategy. He knows he's not at all likely to get Zelensky and Putin to sit down and work something out, but he is the leading candidate for Putin reaching out to someone to broker a "we totally didn't get our asses kicked" deal. It's not at all likely, but as long as he's also sending vehicles with NATO standard 105mm cannon to Ukraine he isn't losing anything.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

That's a guy wearing an Adidas tracksuit looking at a bomb fragment at a bus stop. Perfection.

Things that fiction never predicted:

1. The impact of the smartphone.
2. This.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

An interesting insight from a solid news channel. Storm Shadow has been hitting targets in Luhansk that are outside of HIMARS range, but at less than maximum Storm Shadow range. Apparently the idea is to hit targets in Luhansk first because they could pull HQs and depots back into Russia. Targets in Crimea can't pull back, because out of Storm Shadow range around Sevastopol are in the actual Black Sea. They'll still be there when Ukraine gets to them, targets in Luhansk have room to pull out of range. This also weakens defensive positions in Luhansk, thereby increasing the chances of a Kharkiv-like offensive happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpOIeA-Ez0Q

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

It's supposed to be this impossible to intercept wunderwaffe and yet previous-generation AA tech on standby mode still took it down. The significance is that Russia is and always has been full of poo poo about their military capabilities and western gear is decades ahead.

Patriot is not previous generation. They've been upgraded within the last decade. Aegis plus Standards is better, but an upgraded Patriot is leagues ahead of anything anyone else is fielding for land-based air defense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1659425697318748162
The rat bastards hit an industrial enterprise in Kryvyi Rih. An old woman was seriously injured.

Sucks for her, and I hope she'll be alright, but that's a pretty serious upgrade to Ukrainian air defense capabilities. One WIA in a night's missile barrage says that things are improving.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

edit: He hasn't tweeted since April 30th, what's the deal?? :(

He came down with a bad case of being in jail.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kharkiv to Moscow is about 12 hours according to Google maps...

All the combat arms people would be in line to volunteer when the logistics people come out and send them all back to their units, because lol, like that would work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Viller posted:

They aint touching Nato countries anytime soon or touching swedish anything, Putin may be crazy but he aint stupid enough to commit national suicide.

He may have already done that.

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Wagner forces in Bakhmut are short on ammunition and forced to fight with shovels

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-troops-fight-shovels-ammo-shortage-bakhmut-prigozhin-wagner-rcna73501

This bullshit again. The use of entrenching tools in close combat is a thing and has been for over a century. It says nothing about ammo supplies to a unit that found itself in close quarters trench fighting, ganking someone with an entrenching tool is a really good way to put them down.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Anything you can desolder from a washing machine they could just buy from china, possibly desoldered from the same washing machines by a salvage/recycling op, probably for much less than the cost of exfiltrating a bunch of washing machines from a warzone and breaking them down into capacitors in house

I think it's a case of both things happening. They're buying civilian goods with components that can be repurposed in bulk, while individual soldiers are absolutely looting anything they can get their hands on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Like they'd do us the favor. No way they'd waste all the money they've paid him already.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Deki posted:

The sound of goalposts shifting is basically ambient noise at this point.

I mean, the usual idiots on Twitter have gone from "Russia would NEVER invade" and "Russia will win this in a few days" to "Ukraine isn't winning fast enough :smuggo:"

Well except Gonzalo. He's been weirdly silent this past month.

Gonzalo got arrested. He'd been putting out his pro-Russian bullshit from loving Kharkiv.

As much as I hate linking a YT short,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4l2gAf_emQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

We can mock Reade for this latest move, but she still made credible accusations about sexual assault against Biden before she picked up her new friends. Considering they're probably the only people who treat her nicely compared to the poo poo thrown at her by the Democrats.

She just pissed away her credibility in America. It really does cast her accusations in a new light.She had supporters in the USA! Why did she go to Russia?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Soviet tanks had such bad quality control that we could make a case for T-34-85 tanks built in factory A being different vehicles than the ones built in factory B.

E: and of course it should go without saying that unless you have access to literal deserts

Lazerpig's T-34 video bangs hard on the "the build quality was poo poo!, T034s that made it to the frontline sucked for build quality!" It's a good video, plus or minus your tolerance for his gimmick.

Fun fact about parking stuff in an actual desert. The American airplane boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFBB in Tucson is in a monsoon region. For at least two months every summer it gets 2+ inches of rain every day. Every summer local news has to devote substantial time to "how not to die in a flash flood" and "you will encounter a flash flood, will you survivive?"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

tuscon barely receives 2 inches of rain on average through its wettest entire month, they don't get 2+ inches of rain every day

Oh right, climate change.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

beer_war posted:

Australia got Abrams tanks, too.

That's another amazing "send us stuff video" but be advised there's some gore in the replies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

One of my favorite books of all time is One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

That's an amazing piece of literature, very much a "read in one sitting" book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

to repel an attack by a tank or two, some afvs and light vehicles with artillery support requires a fairly significant garrison force that is well equipped. russia currently has a relative manpower and materiel shortage and forcing them to garrison hundreds of more miles of border would spread their forces out even further. Of the hundreds of miles of previously uncontested border, most of it is not set up to stop actual concerted, well-equipped, supported Ukrainian pushes because Russia had assumed that Ukraine was not going to push into Russian territory.

They're also screwed by doctrine. The way most militaries would deal with these sort of raids is by stringing quick reaction forces in company strength along the border. They'd keep a platoon on alert at all times and be able to call on supporting fires and have organic drone support for recon. This calls for initiative and flexibility from the leadership of that unit, and the Russians just plain don't train that in their junior officers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Deki posted:

I'd be more concerned if a live nazi from ww2 washed up than a dead one.

Or sort of both. See this 2009 documentary.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mistle posted:

I suspect the U.S. doen't want to send them for two reasons: 1) they're clearing out old stocks if the lesser stuff and keeping the top shelf goods for ~reasons~ and 2) they don't want ATACMS out in the open for other nations to observe/scavenge if the other stuff is "good enough".

3. They're all in places where it will be easy to deploy them in defense of Taiwan. The Pentagon has been pretty open that they don't think they have enough, and they expect that if they ever need any, they will need a lot of them all at once.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Chieftain just dropped a video on the anatomy of a modern 120mm round, with discussions of misfire drill. He's a Lt. Colonel in the US Army reserves who deployed to Iraq once in Abrams and once in Bradleys, so he knows what he's talking about. It's a great channel if you're into tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJz8cVUvYws

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

This should be enough Zhirinovsky for anyone,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_tqWRRQYw0

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

zone posted:

Any time.

I would appreciate an effortpost on any aspect of Indian politics you care to make. I watched this recently and it's only whetted my appetite. I'd be interested in any critique on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMVbASedPk

Great channel btw, they're paired with The Operations Room. Ops breaks down what happened, and the Intel Channel goes into the whys.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

wonder if we can get bobo to vote for it if crossshitfit won't

It's a Senate resolution, totally non-binding. What it is is a very strong show of support for Ukraine.

And bobo and MTG aren't Senators (thank all that is holy) so they have nothing to do with this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

A quick look for webcams in Rostov shows one covering a bus stop and a half dozen more that are offline. Make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007