Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been watching Beau of the Fifth column on youtube. He's been mostly on point whenever he talks about this war (except early on when he said he didn't think Russia would invade, because that would be very stupid and nobody in their right mind would go through with a patently thoroughly stupid thing like that).

He said a few weeks back that Ukraine would probably try to weather the recent Russian offensive by defending in depth, gradually falling back and making the Russians pay dearly for every inch gained. "I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price", as per famous loss that won the war Bunker Hill.

That seems to be what is happening, but dang it's demoralizing, even from all this distance. So much loss on both sides, to eventually bleed the aggressor dry, of kit no less, and not of blood, because there seems to be plenty more where that came from.

I find it hard to come up with a palatable scenario that can lead to peace in our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

shadow puppet of a posted:

There is always that wacky one where the side that started it, side that is getting wrecked and humiliated, that side, they can stop firing weapons and turn around and walk way. There is only one person on earth (with a thousand or so yes men suckled to him like remoras) that wouldn't actually find that palatable.

Yes, sorry, should have said palatable and plausible.

I can't see how Russian government will do the only sensible thing. They just haven't ever so far, so I cannot imagine they will start any time soon.

Hope, yes. Imagine, not so much :(

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I love that this thread is back, it's blend of information and silly jokes was the only way I could keep up to date on things without rage/depression spiraling:shobon:

Same. I also don't know that I particularly want to discuss this war with anyone in person, because this war depresses the poo poo out of me and drains me of whatever hope for humanity I had retained through the pandemic. I appreciate being able to discuss it here with some dipshit idiocy sprinkled in on the side.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

Depending on where you’re at, I recommend you do give chatting about it IRL a shot, but you’d know if it’s safe for you to do so. Don’t let it eat up inside of you because that poo poo can fester, and you deserve better than that.

Thank you for your concern :)

Sure, I have, but I don't find it very rewarding, as I find most people aren't actually very interested in this war and don't have very interesting opinions on it. Also this war, horrible as it is, is not a current direct threat to the health and safety of me and my family, so I need my serious-time conversations with other people to be primarily about other things, which are.

Longcovid is real, and it loving sucks. :(

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 6, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I suspect that equipment was never going to be used sensibly anyway.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

The thing that annoys me is that this war is good, for some decision makers in the Kremlin.

If it weren't somehow good for some decision makers in the Kremlin, then this war would very likely be over, very quickly, and some time time ago.

I have no good idea for how to make this war less good for decision makers in the Kremlin, other than what is being employed already, and while it may be working, it sure isn't quick.

It also needs to be made patently obvious to decision makers in the Kremlin that initiating wars like this will not be good for decision makers in the Kremlin, neither right now, nor at any point in the future either, and how do you do that?

Until this is done, there must be an arms race and a readiness for new idiotic opportunistic land grabs. I thought we were done with this poo poo.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey where did my dog and children go?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In an extremely Pingu voice:

*poot poot*

E: errrrr Pingu is in fact not Hungarian. Coulda sworn. Well that didn't land did it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If Ukraine takes back the territories lost since 2014, and then goes on to have its own little imperialistic conquest, I suspect Ukraine will have problems.

I don't really see how this is a worthwhile train of thought.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The problem with freedom is that it makes people free to be stupid and horrible

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 7, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
what the hell

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could be the person they arrested is a real poo poo head.

But still weird as hell to missile poo poo based on reports from one single source, so no I'm not handing Russia poo poo

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Actually brits are so weak and effeminate that squirrels regularly eat them for snacks

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Actually it gives you scrapie rabies cerebral salt-wasting syndrome.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can't say I'm happy that nordstream blew up. It did accelerate adoption of cleaner energy though. Quite fortunate that the winter has been mild.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was totally Luxembourg.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

DiomedesGodshill posted:

So we're just going to ignore the Liechtenstein in the room?

No no this guy is on to something

Der Kyhe posted:

There is a gripping movie about Finland going into a war with Luxemburg: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kummeli_Stories

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

CSM posted:

There's no conclusive evidence however that the losses Ukraine is incurring are less severe than Russia's though.

Even if we believe the claim about much higher Russian casualties. Five Russians for every Ukrainian isn't a good deal, if it's a seasoned Ukrainian soldier versus five Wagner prisoner mobiks.

Most media are talking about heavy Ukrainian losses that are potentially endangering future counter offensives. So it remains to be seen who will come out of the Battle of Bakhmut in a better position.

Hopefully it'll play out something like Severodonetsk.

This is precisely what has been bugging me as well.

I hope the destruction of kit is what is going to matter, because Russia will have a much harder time replacing that.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

Peace is good, war is bad

It would be helpful or at least interesting if you could go beyond repeatedly stating the obvious, and maybe share a thought on how in your opinion peace could most effectively be achieved, based on the current situation, and what an acceptable resulting situation would be.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It applies to a frightening range of situations. The hideousness that "normal people" will accept and justify so long as they are not inconvenienced is boundless.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looking at media reports of Russia, and of ever more authoritarian trends in western societies, it keeps blowing my got drat mind every single day that there actually exists people around us who do want and enjoy autharitarianism, in their society, at their workplace, in their families. Every day it blows my goddamn mind. Like pwwwoooaaahhhh, just like in that science universe vid. Why the gently caress do they want this? In their mind, do they get absolved of their moral obligation to do the right thing, if someone else is telling them what to think and do? Does their wilful reduction to unthinking sheep allow them to engage in frivolous atrocity in wild abandon, free to point to some abstract authority elsewhere for the answers as to why they did all this atrocious bullshit, when the answer is clearly "I wanted to"? I do not understand.

Like maybe Russia has an excuse in that "we've always been an authoritarian poo poo hole to a bigger or smaller degree, and it's hard to break out of", but what the hell excuse does the west have? Capitalism? Capitalism generates economic power, and the one generating the most power can do what the gently caress they want, so nar ne loving nar nar to you? Or what the hell is it?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cthulu Carl posted:

Mad Max: Slightly Peeved Road

Mad Mux: Slightly Paved Road

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fun fact, the word robot comes from the russian word for worker.

Threw me off for a fair bit, looking at a video way back about work, working, and workers, and they kept talking about "robots" while only ever having humans in frame.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What I truly want to get out of this is to ensure that when the common man sees Putin's face on TV, they will not feel fear nor loathing, but immediately think his pants are poopy lol.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cugel the Clever posted:

A bit of a tangent from the war coverage.

Before the invasion of 24 Feb., dozens of Ukrainians contributed photos and videos to Google Maps of the city that was Bakhmut. I'm sure we've all seen the drone video and satellite images of the horrors inflicted, but the slices of life these offer provide a much-needed human scale to all that was lost. Bakhmut was no tourist hub, no world-renowned center of economic or cultural activity. But it was a place some 72,000 Ukrainians cherished as home, now utterly annihilated by Putin's war of aggression. Virtually all of the men, women, and children in these photos are either war refugees, soldiers, or dead. Similar scenes can be found across the vast swathes of invaded territory. All because Vlad wanted to make Russia great again.

In the last year, we've seen a number of randos inexplicably wander into the thread in a huff that posters here feel so strongly about the conflict, decrying the enthusiasm displayed for Ukraine persevering in the face of the Russian onslaught. Many sling accusations that the conflict is treated as a sporting match, where we're rooting for "our team". I'd say that reveals a lot more about the accusers and their understanding of the situation than those they're presuming to understand the motivations of. I'd wager that most folks here aren't arbitrarily cheering on the Blues over the Greens—a conflict between two all but indistinguishable sides in a fight fundamentally lacking in stakes. Though I'm personally well outside the conflict zone and it's had negligible impact on my daily life, that certainly doesn't preclude empathy for the millions of Putin's victims. To look at what's happened and come to any conclusion but "Ukraine must win this war" is impossible for me to grasp.

I'll post a few of the images. Sorry if it comes off as voyeuristic or touristy, but taking the time to poke around at these images and videos people cared about enough to put up for all to see was genuinely moving. I hope one day the people of Bakhmut and of Ukraine at large can heal the grievous wounds this war has inflicted.

Well put, thank you for taking the time.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

Please see my posts in D&D where I've made long thoughtful essays cited in MLA format.

I'll meet you at your level of effort. Link them and I'll read them.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
"A very sophisticated attack, using technniques only available to highly specialized actors" isn't that the public line fed by incompetent assholes after they get wrecked by some teenagers finding the keys to the vault under the doormat? Like, by every crypro dipshit to get wrecked ever?

Like Deviant Ollam says in many of his lectures, we literally got in using some trash we found in the garbage can next to the door, and grabbed some stacks of cash that we found laying on the counter.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You got cowed.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Power Khan posted:

*Sets house on fire, shits into all drawyers in the school, kills dog*

"gently caress you, I'm a wagnerite"

Phew, that was close.

Shits into drawers

heh

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Food situation in Russia is as good as it ever was. Everybody can go and take a look at the communal stick of salami during the appointed visiting hours

Tovarich store clerk, do you have any fish for sale?

Tovarich, you are misinformed. This is a bakery. We don't have any bread for sale. The store that doesn't have any fish for sale is across the street.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tovapoor.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cthulu Carl posted:

I wonder what Norse runes they'll decide to corrupt.

L

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean F

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Cornered? How the gently caress is he cornered? He could just bring his forces back home?

He has spent decades carefully building a criminal autharitarian bullshit deathstate corner, and backing into it. Now he is in the corner, cornered. There is no way out of the corner. To remain in the corner, he must continue to be awful, or be removed the way awful tyrants normally are.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

To accompany, there was also an updated list of the best people in the world:

1. Me
2. Us
3. Them

It is the same list as last time, so it's re-confirmed.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

PinheadSlim posted:

I don't give a poo poo if they don't want to get involved with anything, what's really gross is that they will sell you a gun to defend yourself with but balk at the idea of selling you ammo to defend yourself with. They have no business selling arms.

It's exploitive, hypocritical, and a whole bunch of other awful things.

So if I sell weapons to your enemy, you may get angry with me, so I better not, and have good business relations with both.

Rather everyone should just buy what they will eventually need from me, before there is any conflict. That is, everyone should buy huge stockpiles of perishable product from me, before there is any need, in case they ever need it. This is good for me financially, and I get to keep my reputation as neutral.

Besides, this conflict does not really matter to me, because I am filthy stinking rich, and you are not, for the above reasons, go away please.

How did I do?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mpregozhin probably really hates that tweet, so it has that going for it. Otherwise I don't like it much no

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

theghostpt posted:

Yeah I meant this ofc, not excusing US foreign policy at all, but to think that killing americans in a terrorist attack is going to change their stance on foreign policy is not really that smart

Oh poo poo they're really doing it aren't they

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Isn't that the guy who was a failed sex tourist and so he stayed in the country to try and get his incel revenge on Ukranian women by chain smoking and heavily drinking and being really fat? lol

Wait are you saying that's a valid way of getting revenge on people? I've been going about this the entirely wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I agree, he is Russian.