Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I still think Russia should just go back to Russia and be nice. Dumbest war ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I love how British people pronounce squirrel.

Also "once-Great Britian" aaaaaaa I see what you did there! :dumbbravo:

Snipe!

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

It was totally Luxembourg.

So we're just going to ignore the Liechtenstein in the room?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

No no this guy is on to something

Der Kyhe posted:

There is a gripping movie about Finland going into a war with Luxemburg: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kummeli_Stories

The war between Luxembourg and Finland sets the outline to a set of comedic stories about a rally team, gay couple's fishing trip, two hoodlums' last school days in the spring and a haunted hotel among others.

:hmmyes:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Apparently a tank battle around Vuhledar with a Ukrainian win today? Lots of Russian armor/tanks taken out? Maybe they should just go home.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1633335134979072001

The gently caress is this gibberish. Russians can't live abroad for long? Yeah tell that to all the billionaires and their kids studying in London.

You see Russian's can't live abroad for long if the whole world is Russia! :smug:

Bad joke aside I have this vague feeling that Russia is just trying to get out of Russia and into Eastern Europe for some reason. Is it access to better warm water ports and better farmland? Also I have a probably misguided sense that when Russians talk about Russia, they really talking about the section between Eastern Europe and the Volga. Is that accurate? Is developing Eastern Russia not practical?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Siberia and the Far East are so sparsely populated with such a large land mass that it is extremely impractical to develop it beyond natural resource extraction. The only reason there's as many people as there are in those areas right now (aside from native peoples already there) is that the Russian colonization of the East was deliberate and involved specifically constructing military posts, citadels, and forts to establish control over an area then internally deporting colonists to live there from the West. The Trans-Siberian Railway exists but in most places it's literally just two tracks (or sometimes one! with pull offs for traffic control) for hundreds of miles. Russia is impossibly large. You probably think it's a long way down to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts compared to Russia.

I went on a train from SPb to Moscow and it was an overnight sleeper train, and that's a relatively short journey by Russian standards.

Take a look at this map of the territorial evolution of Russia:

You can follow the colonization and development along the line from Saint Petersburg to Yekaterinburg where the trans-siberian railway links up at Chelyabinsk and goes east through Omsk, Nobosibirsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Chita, Khabarovsk, and Vladivostok. As far as I'm aware, those were all military outposts first and foremost that later developed into settlements and cities, and all were deliberate settlements. The Russian imperial idea for the Far East was resource extraction to support the imperial core of Western Russia. There was never a need to develop it more necessarily than it is (and where there IS development, it's quite extensive - Norilsk is one such example, Norilsk was at one point the leading nickel producing city in the world -and still might be- despite it's absolutely desolate location in the Far North)

Russia is miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles until suddenly you come across a fully modernized industrial complex in the middle of nowhere, then you might not see anything but fields and swamp for the next six hours before oh hey, pine cone processing complex!

Awesome post. So yeah my thinking wasn't too far off. Russian has plenty of space to develop but Putin goes for "No I'll have this space in Ukraine instead". Jerk.

Found this interesting picture.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

To answer your question about warm water ports, the only one Russia has is Sevastopol and that's why they're so bugshit crazy about Crimea in particular. Sevastopol's year-round ice free deep water port was so valuable that the location was the reason for Russia invading and annexing Crimea in 1783.

This might sound familiar :v: Having returned from Crimea, Prince Potemkin convinced Catherine the Great that many Crimeans would "happily submit" to Russian rule, and encouraged by this news Catherine proclaimed the annexation on April 19, 1783 lol.

This view was far from reality. Crimean "independence" had been a puppet regime, and the Ottomans had played little role in the Crimean revolts. Crimea was incorporated into the Empire as the Taurida Oblast. Later that year, the Ottoman Empire signed an agreement with Russia that recognized the loss of Crimea and other territories that had been held by the Khanate.

I assumed as much regarding Sevastopol. I guess just annexing Crimea was easier/cheaper than creating new or expanding existing ports on the Black Sea? Novorossiysk not good enough?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Novorossiysk is one of the largest ports in the Black Sea, for sure. However, it's not as good as Sevastopol because while Novorossiysk is ice-free all year AND deep enough for blue water ships, in winter navigation can sometimes just completely halt because of the bora wind coming from the northeast. A bora wind is a katabatic wind that happens specifically near the Adriatic Sea, and if you don't know what a katabatic wind is, it's a wind gust that can reach hurricane force speeds and drops on you from above because that kind of wind carries high density air from a higher elevation, and gravity bombs you with it at windspeeds that can reach up to 190mph (300 km/h). Makes port work not ideal when your entire reason for being there is to have an ice-free port; much easier to just use Sevastopol which doesn't have HIMARS hitting your naval base in the form of unexpected hurricane winds that last for 15 minutes for 40% of the year :v:

Katabatic winds also just look cool as gently caress, you can visibly see the poo poo coming to ruin your day. It should be noted that most katabatic winds aren't super dangerous and destructive; most are about 10-15 mph. Which in my view sucks worse because you get lulled into a false sense of security before getting whalloped by a piece of wood flying at 130 mph towards you

Excellent post again! Thanks! I also found this from a bora in Novorossiysk. I don't think the ships on the left are having a good day.

It looks like Russia is/was trying to build a deep water port further north at Port Taman. Obviously not ideal since you have to build the piers further out to accommodate the large ships but at least no bora winds there (maybe).

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

To be fair so does the US, and I'm pretty sure every world leader has a poo guy.

Edit: Move along.

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 8, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Putin should just say "Welp we lost and let's all go home and have blyatzza"

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

This is what happens when you allow rural voters to field candidates that reflect what they actually want

What is it with rural less-educated people and their obsession over billionaire strong men (who gladly grift their base)?

I had to roll my eyes at the Russian excuse for their latest missile attack, because the border incursion totally happened. :rolleyes:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

It actually did. A group of anti-Putinist Russian nationalists called the Russian Volunteer Corps were the ones that did it. They formed up to fight for the Azovs in 2014 and claims to be a part of the International Legions, but Ukraine has not confirmed those claims. The founder is Denis Nikitin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Volunteer_Corps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Bryansk_Oblast_attack

The Ukrainians, of course, say that it's a provocation, but the RVC has been known to do these kinds of off-the-cuff actions before. They have been anti-Putin for quite some time. They're an interesting group - a far right Russian nationalist group that is comprised almost solely of Russian emigres to Ukraine, and which formed up to fight AGAINST Russia since 2014.

Meduza has this to say about them:

https://meduza.io/en/episodes/2023/03/04/the-russian-volunteer-corps-and-its-neo-nazi-leader

I stand corrected. Thank you Goon Sir. o7

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

The destruction of the Russian army in 2022-23?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress partisans set a Su-27 on fire at the Central Corner air base in Artyom, Primorsky Krai.

Just a burning jet, nothing else

https://v.redd.it/r266pa82uyma1

LOL Russia made an entire army unit dedicated just to finding lost mobiks, incredible. The Shepherd Brigade lol

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-army-unit-sent-soldiers-175916203.html

:tif:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

FT posted:

This week’s salvo of Russian nuclear-capable hypersonic missiles targeted at key Ukrainian infrastructure was a worrying indicator of what a cornered Putin might do.

Cornered? How the gently caress is he cornered? He could just bring his forces back home?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

why settle for callin it grand duke when you can call it Megaduke

:five:

This made me really laugh. Well done.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

He has spent decades carefully building a criminal autharitarian bullshit deathstate corner, and backing into it. Now he is in the corner, cornered. There is no way out of the corner. To remain in the corner, he must continue to be awful, or be removed the way awful tyrants normally are.

So he's cornered cornered. Probably double secret cornered by NATO so cornered cornered cornered cornered. But hey he's allegedly loving a gymnast half his age so maybe he could just go do that in his mansion near Sochi, stop this dumb war, and retire. Well he should've retired with the gymnast and not started this stupid war.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

You know the pilots were asking/tempted to draw a dick. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. I know many USAF pilots that would gleefully draw tracking dicks.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Sashimi posted:

I wonder what would happen if some dumbass in a MiG flew into one of these super expensive drones?

They would both explode and not much else. Iran shot one down and the US just wagged a finger.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I said it once and I'll say it again. I've been dancing for a LONG time and she is fantastic while he is a spaz. Not sure what lead Seagal to go all in on Russia. So weird.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

What do new tanks drivers drive if there are no tanks to drive?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1636076416553963521
Very normal question to ask people in a not fascist state at all. :rolleye:

Ah yes, the good ole days under Stalin. I, too, long for the return of the Great Terror Happy Fun Times.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yet more footage is leaking out

https://i.imgur.com/e21hBLC.mp4

Oh, it's beautiful!

Any word on the fate of the plane?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

This weekend when I do an International Citizen's Arrest on him!!!

Seriously though I do like that they chose that for the indictment because, well, all their war crimes are indefensible obviously, but since that is the most overtly genocidal it is a good place to start, especially as they are following the Republican approach of openly admitting the crimes and just saying it is no big deal

Also like, Finland going from somewhat tolerating Russia to becoming NATO's longest border with Russia by far is going to be pretty intense huh

Intense for Russia maybe.

*Finland stares at St Petersburg in Finnish*

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Spaz means spastic and is offensive (in the UK, and i assume some other places) in much the same way retard is. Lizzo and Beyonce both took the word out of songs recently.

My apologies for calling Steven Seagal a **** who now identifies as 100% Russian (for some reason). My meaning/context was him being a clumsy dancer with gif included showing him being a very clumsy dancer. I don't follow Lizzo or Beyonce so apologies for that too. Bad post is bad. I ate a six-er which is basically meaningless anyway.

Steven Seagal is a wannabe Spetsnaz who shits his pants and dances very badly. Those are facts.

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 19, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

"Can you make soup if you put a potato and a piece of poop in the same pot? You can try, but it won't be borscht"

Would it be borshit?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

#MargaritaThoughts

I'd order one but I don't like all the salt.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dwesa posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638587089678737437

something something Russia's sanitation coverage

I love that she goes through hair and makeup everyday and always goes with the "Bond villain sidekick" look. I bet she isn't very fun at parties.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/sternenko/status/1638554308659617797
Why are these morons still convinced that an amphibious assault will even happen?

Gotta find a way to skim/steal while you still can! The construction outfit probably a subsidiary of Big Suka Sukhoi.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

Congratulations Finland, you've earned it.

Way to go Finland! :getin:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Mom, NATO is touching me!

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Play posted:

A bomb. It's supposed to be a bomb

Seems like it was okay at it too, despite it's clear deficiencies as a statue

:perfect:

Also is there some sort of unspoken contest going on between the Russian propagandists to see who can say the most vile and bananas things?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I can't imagine Putin being so dumb as to attack Poland lol

*looks at the current war*

Nevermind, I take it back.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

It's me. I'm the destroyed plane monument. I think Wagner is going to try to add me to their air force. Jokes on them though because I'm not a real plane.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dwesa posted:

meanwhile Russian propagandists sound more and more like doomsday cultists

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1645805713980268544

Someone should gift her a rabbit dildo but whoopsies sanctions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 12, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Play posted:

Man this could not get any stupider

And now, it DOES get stupider!

So within the US military intelligence community is there just one folder on a network drive with all secret and top secret documents in it? It sure seems that way. Why would a Massachusetts Air National Guardsman need access to top secret documents on the war in Ukraine? He's in Massachusetts and in the Air National Guard.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I heard it was photos of crumbled up pages. Like someone got papers, stuffed them into a pocket, took photos. I don't know if that's true at all, but that's what I'm hearing.

One article (I think it was the WaPo) said he at first would transcribe the top secret documents to sneak the intel out. As time progressed he got lazy and started taking pictures of the documents instead.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1646615867285708802?cxt=HHwWhICxsYea-tktAAAA

Honestly I'm shocked at the absolute restraint the jews have with the space laser at this point.

This cannot be real.....it's real. What a wild loving timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

:discourse: