Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CodFishBalls posted:

My take is this isn't HPD, this is Honda Japan/HRC going "you're wasting how much money for what return?!"

It’s possible, but in the article is the following

quote:

”Yes, [adding a third engine make] would change our outlook quite a bit,” Schifsky said. “If you imagine we’re now supplying 15 or 16 or 17 cars, if that drops down to say nine or 10, that will definitely reduce our costs and improve the return.”

Which has been their argument for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

this might be a naive and smoothbrained take, but the v6tt (plus hybrid i guess) formula indy runs isn't too far from a lot of other series, right? Is the ROI (or i guess rate of loss because lmao at profiting from a racing team) just not good enough to draw anyone in?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

this might be a naive and smoothbrained take, but the v6tt (plus hybrid i guess) formula indy runs isn't too far from a lot of other series, right? Is the ROI (or i guess rate of loss because lmao at profiting from a racing team) just not good enough to draw anyone in?

They’re a bit special in terms of the packaging, for one, plus there’s been development down this path for a while by Honda and Chevy.

The real thing is both OEMs want another partner, who will develop an engine that gets to parity with the current ones, but not somebody who then turns it into an arms race. Notably this is what happened in the DTM pre-pandemic, BMW joined and upset a happy working agreement Mercedes and Audi had.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

CodFishBalls posted:

My take is this isn't HPD, this is Honda Japan/HRC going "you're wasting how much money for what return?!"

They aren’t exactly pleased about the 2.4L engine being cancelled (reading between the lines the Chevy engine was not up to par.) and the fact that they had to re-engineer Mahle’s Hybrid system.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Honda's LMDh/GTP Acura engine is a detuned version of the 2.4L engine they were developing for what was supposed to be the new Indycar formula before it got dropped, otherwise it's weird/different enough from other series that everyone seems to think they'd need to start a program from scratch.

I don't know why Indycar shouldn't adopt the same formula as Superformula, just with the boost turned up a bit. Would probably instantly net them Toyota, although I guess Chevy might not be happy.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

followup idiot question: Is the specialization in the package just fitting it into the DW12 chassis and getting it to run at the boosts/rpms required for speedways and indy? I'm showing my real lack of car knowledge over a decade into this sport lmao

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah the engines are "stressed members," essentially part of the chassis. You either make your block the exact special snowflake dimensions to serve that role or you have to make an adapter (with the engine smaller as needed to fit into the adapter). That's a big part of the corner Indycar is backed into, they can't change the engine formula significantly without a new chassis, and if they want to change the chassis without changing the engine yet then they have to make the new chassis work with the current engines and any potential new formulas down the road. And changing both at the same time would cause the owners to riot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty much, yes. Marshall Pruett did a bunch of videos last year of the then-brand-new LMDh cars and the Acura with the should've-been-shared engine had a dramatically smaller powertrain than everyone else. Ignoring MSR's tire fuckery, having a drivetrain that small in a car with that much room in a series where you'll get BoP adjustments anyway, isn't inherently an advantage. So everyone else went with much larger engines, both in terms of displacement and overall packaging.

The DW12's engine bay is small. The current engines fit inside a very small and tightly constrained volume. I don't think there are any rule allowances for a different engine cowling, and even if there were, the drag penalty for an engine without a power gain would be an absolute non-starter for teams today. Penske didn't mind running a bigger cowling over the Beast because they had 100hp+ on the field to offset it.

Then the last of it is down to just surviving Indy. It's the only 500-mile race and it's the only true superspeedway race. Even at Texas they're lifting more than at Indy; Indy is as close to 500 miles of wide open throttle as it gets. Yet we've been blessed with an obscenely reliable era in Indycar with the current engine formula.

Personally, if it comes down to losing engine suppliers, I think the Super Formula option is an intriguing one. They make 550hp on 102 octane gasoline. I vote the series figures out a way to greenwash methanol as carbon capture, and run Super Formula specs with no boost limit. Drivers should have the option to risk sending a piston into low earth orbit to win the 500.

edit: and also that, Indycar's steadfast refusal to do anything more than The Bare loving Minimum means they are trying to court fans, owners, and engine suppliers who all have conflicting interests.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty much, yes. Marshall Pruett did a bunch of videos last year of the then-brand-new LMDh cars and the Acura with the should've-been-shared engine had a dramatically smaller powertrain than everyone else. Ignoring MSR's tire fuckery, having a drivetrain that small in a car with that much room in a series where you'll get BoP adjustments anyway, isn't inherently an advantage. So everyone else went with much larger engines, both in terms of displacement and overall packaging.

The DW12's engine bay is small. The current engines fit inside a very small and tightly constrained volume. I don't think there are any rule allowances for a different engine cowling, and even if there were, the drag penalty for an engine without a power gain would be an absolute non-starter for teams today. Penske didn't mind running a bigger cowling over the Beast because they had 100hp+ on the field to offset it.

Then the last of it is down to just surviving Indy. It's the only 500-mile race and it's the only true superspeedway race. Even at Texas they're lifting more than at Indy; Indy is as close to 500 miles of wide open throttle as it gets. Yet we've been blessed with an obscenely reliable era in Indycar with the current engine formula.

Personally, if it comes down to losing engine suppliers, I think the Super Formula option is an intriguing one. They make 550hp on 102 octane gasoline. I vote the series figures out a way to greenwash methanol as carbon capture, and run Super Formula specs with no boost limit. Drivers should have the option to risk sending a piston into low earth orbit to win the 500.

edit: and also that, Indycar's steadfast refusal to do anything more than The Bare loving Minimum means they are trying to court fans, owners, and engine suppliers who all have conflicting interests.

Irrespective of that though the Acura was very competitive.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

CodFishBalls posted:

That and the fact that there really isn't an independent HPD anymore: https://www.indycar.com/news/2023/09/09-21-hpd-hrc

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Irrespective of that though the Acura was very competitive.

Sure, but not by enough over the other LMDh drivetrains to justify what is probably a considerably more expensive engine than what everyone else is using. Which would have been easier to justify if it had been able to use the Indycar engines to benefit from some economies of scale.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Thank y'all for explaining, that all makes a lot of sense but man indycar painted themselves into a corner

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Spaced God posted:

Thank y'all for explaining, that all makes a lot of sense but man indycar painted themselves into a corner

It's a series that is haunted by the ghosts of 2008, 1996, and 1979.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spaced God posted:

And they keep justifying it with "but the racing is the best" which is true... but clearly it doesn't matter given the low TV ratings and empty stands at half the calendar.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
indy is objectively better racing than f1 but i think the market for non-nascar motorsports in the us is probably only a couple million people, best case, and f1 is a slicker product

i think a lot of people like seeing shiny things go fast but any kind of racing that isn't in the fast and the furious is difficult for a lot for usa-type people to understand

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 13, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

I feel like they’re trying to both settle in after the Penske purchase still, and also feeling the repercussions of COVID. Because without the pandemic, I would imagine we have hybrid engines already and a new chassis on the horizon.

This at least feels like less of a panic situation than 1996 or 2008, though, honestly. I know Honda just went public with that, but I still wouldn’t get too worried. There’s almost too many cars, and the biggest issue is “we need a third engine OEM to spread costs out more.” They’re trying to figure out how to grow, not survive, and that’s a key difference.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
https://racer.com/2023/12/13/hondas-proposal-to-help-contain-indycar-engine-supply-costs/

Honda's solution? Stop building engines, just faux badge them and have a somewhat customized software for the engines.

Crate engines, crate hybrids, it's one way of cutting costs I suppose.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

what I said about not being worried? HPD - which was setup purely to make engines for IndyCar - saying they should just badge a spec Ilmor engine is worrying, not because of what they will do, but for what it represents of a cultural shift. HPD was recently absorbed into HRC, but that happening is only half the battle - not being able to justify the costs as marketing in IndyCar is a bigger issue.

to be generous you could say "they're seeing how costs are kept down in IMSA GTP and what returns that allows," which is true, but...to cut from the engineering side? For Honda? Dang.

I wonder if a compromise is also opening up to the OEMs the hybrid components in the future. Otherwise, there won't be any fight on this ground until ICEs are dead and buried, I'm afraid.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

CodFishBalls posted:

https://racer.com/2023/12/13/hondas-proposal-to-help-contain-indycar-engine-supply-costs/

Honda's solution? Stop building engines, just faux badge them and have a somewhat customized software for the engines.

Crate engines, crate hybrids, it's one way of cutting costs I suppose.

Honda built a new 2.4 liter engine for indycar and IMSA, and then Indycar didn't adopt the new formula so it's just in the IMSA cars. The reason they didn't adopt it was that Illmor couldn't seem to finish the new engine on a timeline. I think Honda is extremely pissed off here, if they're now suggesting illmor should just build everything.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/jul13_48/status/1737888425418654027
Kind of not surprised.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Context?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm not sure what possible context there is beyond what's already provided.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah I had to click through to Twitter to see those were screenshots from Danica’s Instagram.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

loving hell, reports that Gil de Ferran has died

https://twitter.com/gefersonkern/status/1740891354975310006

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

harperdc posted:

loving hell, reports that Gil de Ferran has died

https://twitter.com/gefersonkern/status/1740891354975310006

IMS and Penske have statements out confirming. Sad day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So what's the general thread lean on teams? I have a visceral dislike of anything Penske that stems from originally being an Andretti Green stan and now a CGR fan.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Qualifying for round 1 is on Peacock right now. Reminder that most of the chatter is now on Discord!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Very glad to see Rosenqvist driving a rocket ship at MSR!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh good lord, we got cheatin' news folks

quote:

The IndyCar Series has disqualified Josef Newgarden from the season-opening race in St. Petersburg which he won handily, disqualified teammate Scott McLaughlin from third and penalized Will Power with the loss of 10 points after determining Team Penske, the team owned by IndyCar Series owner Roger Penske, violated the series’ push-to-pass rules.

Second-place finisher Pato O’Ward of Arrow McLaren has been promoted to first and awarded the win.

IndyCar’s longstanding practice in its road and street course races is to disable the push-to-pass system, which gives drivers an extra shot of 50hp or so, prior to starts and restarts. The system only becomes active when the series enables the buttons on the steering wheel to command the engines to deliver the extra power.

During last weekend’s event in Long Beach, the series found the three cars from Team Penske were able to bypass that software restriction and use push-to-pass at any time.

Bolding added by me. Because holy poo poo, this could wind up being an intricate cheat.

:sickos:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pato's greatest victory imo

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
God drat cheating penske :argh:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

oh good lord, we got cheatin' news folks

Bolding added by me. Because holy poo poo, this could wind up being an intricate cheat.

:sickos:

From what the team said it sounded like they had software from the recent hybrid test loaded that allowed P2P at any time, and it was discovered when one of them used P2P during warmup at long beach.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

From what the team said it sounded like they had software from the recent hybrid test loaded that allowed P2P at any time, and it was discovered when one of them used P2P during warmup at long beach.

"It was the hybrids, honest" reeks a bit too much of "my dog ate my homework". Because that doesn't explain why both Scott and Josef used it, since they shouldn't have expected anything to happen.

Pruett's article removes just about all doubt in my mind about it being intentional. I just don't get how the series was so blind as to miss it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh yeah I don't doubt it was intentionally left in.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

"It was the hybrids, honest" reeks a bit too much of "my dog ate my homework". Because that doesn't explain why both Scott and Josef used it, since they shouldn't have expected anything to happen.

Pruett's article removes just about all doubt in my mind about it being intentional. I just don't get how the series was so blind as to miss it.

Although Will, with the same software, did not.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/ZBrownCEO/status/1783774587454394476

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is Georgina ok? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

Theophany posted:

Is Georgina ok? :ohdear:

Short a hand and some forearm, but appears otherwise ok.

https://twitter.com/By_NathanBrown/status/1784690817103217099