Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Race control should have just DQed the whole field for driving standards like that one GP2 race at Monza a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

god drat i hate graham rahal

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How does California look more like racing in the desert than all the middle eastern F1 tracks?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
California has two seasons, rainy season and dry season. and it's no more apparent than places like Laguna Seca where you don't see green grass until November

this is why their wildfires will loving GO if given a chance

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

smackfu posted:

How does California look more like racing in the desert than all the middle eastern F1 tracks?

they don't have massive oil money to waste on sports washing

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If they did have that kind of money, they would be the other American GP with 150,000 people and screens everywhere

But instead they had to hold a bake sale to renovate the pedestrian bridge over the start finish straight so it wouldn't fall down

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nybble posted:

But instead they had to hold a bake sale to renovate the pedestrian bridge over the start finish straight so it wouldn't fall down

that's really the most american thing possible if you think about it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
watching the race now, lmao at everything

i don't think i'll ever get tired of seeing cars dive through the corkscrew

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

2024 schedule

Milwaukee gets a double header over Labor Day weekend.
The only international race continues to be Toronto.
Texas is taken off the schedule.
Indy 500 is the only high speed oval left.
:guillotine: get their private race in March.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Double header in Milwaukee?

:getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Make that the million dollar challenge, not this rich people bullshit. Win both Milwaukee races? Here’s a mil.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh I see why the guillotine:

quote:

There will be limited tickets available for non-Thermal members to access the event on the 17-turn, 3.067-mile layout. Located at the base of the Santa Rosa Mountains, The Thermal Club boasts luxury homes, a motor sports village and gourmet restaurants and in 2017 was named facility of the year at the Professional Motorsports World Expo in Germany.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

smackfu posted:

Oh I see why the guillotine:

i dont know how mad to be, considering its not a points race. Thermal paid for the teams to run a group test there this year that wasnt televised... and now they are basically paying them more to run a group test there again but it will be televised?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
But the winner gets 1 million dollars?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bip Roberts posted:

But the winner gets 1 million dollars?

for marketing purposes, sure. its a nice bonus to run a test. depending on the drivers contract, the team will take anywhere from 100-50% (with most recent contracts leaning towards the 'all' side)

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I saw somewhere that they're going to have two heat races and then a top 12 main event. Do we know anything about how the club members are going to be "embedded" with teams or whatever? Are they going for some reality TV angle there for the broadcast, or is that aspect strictly for the members' benefit?

The whole thing seems a little odd, but I don't see much reason to hate on it, given that it probably would have been an empty weekend otherwise and will mean more money for at least some of the teams.

And if we were to get some nitty-gritty behind the scenes stuff wrt engineering and strategy and such, that would be great. Probably wishful thinking there, though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No Nascar double header next year? Also if Laguna Seca was a wreckfest for the season ender, what the gently caress is going to happen with Nashville?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No Nascar double header next year? Also if Laguna Seca was a wreckfest for the season ender, what the gently caress is going to happen with Nashville?

Doesn’t seem like they need the extra round on the road course, and the Brickyard 400 is going back to using the oval as well.

Nashville is on the new layout and was somehow fine this year?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

harperdc posted:

Doesn’t seem like they need the extra round on the road course, and the Brickyard 400 is going back to using the oval as well.

Nashville is on the new layout and was somehow fine this year?

Nashville will be totally different next year. There's basically a 5 turn layout that goes down broadway and they're going to be going real fast into the 90 degree turns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

marshalljim posted:

I saw somewhere that they're going to have two heat races and then a top 12 main event. Do we know anything about how the club members are going to be "embedded" with teams or whatever? Are they going for some reality TV angle there for the broadcast, or is that aspect strictly for the members' benefit?

The whole thing seems a little odd, but I don't see much reason to hate on it, given that it probably would have been an empty weekend otherwise and will mean more money for at least some of the teams.

And if we were to get some nitty-gritty behind the scenes stuff wrt engineering and strategy and such, that would be great. Probably wishful thinking there, though.

It sounds like part of it is the rich amateurs will be paired up with Indycar drivers by random draw, and they have their own race in some spec GT cars, and the combined finishing position plays into who wins? I'm sure we'll get the format beaten into our skulls by Leigh Diffey. :negative:

Bip Roberts posted:

Nashville will be totally different next year. There's basically a 5 turn layout that goes down broadway and they're going to be going real fast into the 90 degree turns.

I suspect that the new layout, plus the move to the last race of the year, is going to result in Crashville again. A big part of the reason for all the crazy moves at Laguna this year was the fairly wide-and-close battle to be in the Leader's Circle money. In Laguna's case, combine that with a track layout that typically does not result in passing, a new track surface with extremely high grip on-line and extremely low grip off-line, and add in a healthy dose of "Indycar drivers gonna dumb" and you get that (hilarious) shitshow. Nashville is going to have the end-of-season drama, a new layout, and probably an absurd amount of marbles off-line after a few laps.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

american baku. :getin:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Kirkwood signed an extension with Andretti, which has always worked out well

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

curried lamb of God posted:

Kirkwood signed an extension with Andretti, which has always worked out well

Loldretti

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:lol:
https://apnews.com/article/indycar-mclaren-palou-lawsuit-9c962c7e64a3a85a73e43b7efb1f19ab

quote:

The nearly $23 million in damages McLaren is seeking is broken down in future sponsorship tied to Palou joining McLaren, the costs of using him as a reserve F1 driver, how much McLaren spent developing Palou for F1 and a $400,000 advance on his 2024 salary.

:lmao:
https://twitter.com/rgrosjean/status/1709618284574691565

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ah, so that’s where I put my Silly Season, I thought I had lost it

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

"proud of the successes"

What successes?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Squiggle posted:

"proud of the successes"

What successes?

More podiums this season than future F1 superstar Colton Herta to be fair.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.indycar.com/Series/IndyCar-Series/Romain-Grosjean

Edit: heh, I thought that was a bug but i looked up someone else and its true:

“Rinus VeeKay is 2 poles behind Alex Palou, Scott McLaughlin, Will Power, Christian Lundgaard, Colton Herta, Felix Rosenqvist, Romain Grosjean, Graham Rahal with 2 poles this season.”

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/juncoshollinger/status/1717617246736916518

rumors are this seat goes to grosjean, which is going to make for incredibly toxic vibes on this team. i am here for it

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh my god that would be the content my tiny brain craves

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/juncoshollinger/status/1720078846350045378

Enjoy your tiny brain content.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Grosjean is more of an exocet than a phoenix now.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's a trade down, so I assume he's bringing money.

Should get the fire extinguisher company who seemed to back every bad driver for ages.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

It's a trade down, so I assume he's bringing money.

Should get the fire extinguisher company who seemed to back every bad driver for ages.

Would be on brand.

There’s also some worrying toxicity to Juncos downplaying the social media poo poo that Ilott got. Saying it’s just “people letting off steam” sure doesn’t feel right in TYOOL 2023.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Would be on brand.

There’s also some worrying toxicity to Juncos downplaying the social media poo poo that Ilott got. Saying it’s just “people letting off steam” sure doesn’t feel right in TYOOL 2023.

Grosjean seems more than capable of being toxic back tbh

So, :munch:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Isn't Large John still the last guy to cop a race ban in F1 for driving standards?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1733230622221668659/

https://racer.com/2023/12/07/indycar-confirms-postponement-of-hybrid-debut-until-after-indy-500/

quote:

The NTT IndyCar Series has made the decision to delay the introduction of its energy recovery system.

“The much-anticipated debut of the new power unit is expected to launch after the 108th Indianapolis 500, during the second half of the 2024 IndyCar Series season,” the series confirmed.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does Honda just flip a coin to decide whether they are gonna be in a given series each year

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

Does Honda just flip a coin to decide whether they are gonna be in a given series each year

That joke doesn't work with HPD in the U.S., as they have been in American open wheel right about 30 years consecutively -- first with CART pre-split (1994) and the first few years of ChampCar, before jumping to the IRL and for a time being the sole supplier before Chevy came back in.

I would both be worried about HPD saber rattling and not, though, because their biggest concern is still the Mythical Third Engine Partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

harperdc posted:

That joke doesn't work with HPD in the U.S., as they have been in American open wheel right about 30 years consecutively -- first with CART pre-split (1994) and the first few years of ChampCar, before jumping to the IRL and for a time being the sole supplier before Chevy came back in.

I would both be worried about HPD saber rattling and not, though, because their biggest concern is still the Mythical Third Engine Partner.

My take is this isn't HPD, this is Honda Japan/HRC going "you're wasting how much money for what return?!"