Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

*taps on mic*

I’ll try to put some effort into a first post for this tonight, hoping to tempt people out of their hiding places this year.

That said the first race was last weekend and absolutely owned:

https://youtu.be/6xPXbh2cxz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Only just noticed this exists.

Indycar had its leaders crash into each other before Sebring made it fashionable.

Something in the water in Florida.

Literally and figuratively.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

It's been on Saturday since the start (except for 2020). I think it's more so they have more time to get the track set up for Monday as opposed to being rushed post race to switch it over.

Is the other Indy road course race also on a Sunday, because I thought it was about not racing on the Sunday because that keeps it a step down from the 500.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Looking at the schedule I might try and go to the Portland race. Anyone been before?

A whole lot back in the day but not since they returned. It’s right near a light rail stop that serves from downtown, but I’ve also heard it’s not drawing too well so you might be alright parking :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

yeah, the road course race was last Saturday. its still a weird race on the schedule cause of that, and cause of its proximity to the rest of the stuff during this month.

I think strategically they want a “month of May” but it’s harder and harder to justify more and more practice running just for the 500 in this day and age.

The fun factor is the other road course race in mid summer is also held on a Saturday, as if there’s some sanctity to the date of IndyCars running anything at the Speedway.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Marshall Pruett with the code brown getting photos of that Legge/Wilson wreck.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1660721325042704385

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

seemed to me like graham wouldn't want to take someone else's seat based on his comments anyway

Yeah this is the case where it’s not buying a small fry out, Wilson isn’t cleared for the race so they’ll need a replacement.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

Too many loving commercial breaks, too much military dickriding, lots of cool TV pod footage tho

I’m watching it back now and yeah, the military and Ferrucci fellatio is loving awful. Good race so far to the halfway point, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

The last 6 laps of this race were more entertaining than a single second of the F1 race this morning.

I mean, that’s what each is setup for from a rules perspective so :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

They should race at the Argentinian motogp track that as far as I can tell is fully in the middle of nowhere.

I think that’s the rumors I saw before, that they’d use Rio Hondo for a race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

I saw someone call them Hard R LL today

Hachi machi

Meanwhile this was shared on Discord and is a really cool tear down of a 1997 Ford Cosworth CART motor, the details are sensational.

https://youtu.be/uVeK7sVt9BQ

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

That graphic they showed of results through 62 starts was super loving telling. With maybe the exception of Michael Andretti, those are names you want to be mentioned with.

Holy poo poo Palou is insane.

Michael is top five in American open wheel wins and just missing maybe another championship and of course the 500, right? Couldn’t watch so don’t know who else was on that graphic, but I feel like he still belongs there - especially since he was such a hot talent before joining Newman-Haas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Furious George posted:

According to Marco, via Wikipedia,

Yeah there’s a whole derail about Michael Andretti’s time at McLaren. At best it would have been poor timing, but not really helped by Michael commuting to Europe.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No Nascar double header next year? Also if Laguna Seca was a wreckfest for the season ender, what the gently caress is going to happen with Nashville?

Doesn’t seem like they need the extra round on the road course, and the Brickyard 400 is going back to using the oval as well.

Nashville is on the new layout and was somehow fine this year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

It's a trade down, so I assume he's bringing money.

Should get the fire extinguisher company who seemed to back every bad driver for ages.

Would be on brand.

There’s also some worrying toxicity to Juncos downplaying the social media poo poo that Ilott got. Saying it’s just “people letting off steam” sure doesn’t feel right in TYOOL 2023.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

Does Honda just flip a coin to decide whether they are gonna be in a given series each year

That joke doesn't work with HPD in the U.S., as they have been in American open wheel right about 30 years consecutively -- first with CART pre-split (1994) and the first few years of ChampCar, before jumping to the IRL and for a time being the sole supplier before Chevy came back in.

I would both be worried about HPD saber rattling and not, though, because their biggest concern is still the Mythical Third Engine Partner.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CodFishBalls posted:

My take is this isn't HPD, this is Honda Japan/HRC going "you're wasting how much money for what return?!"

It’s possible, but in the article is the following

quote:

”Yes, [adding a third engine make] would change our outlook quite a bit,” Schifsky said. “If you imagine we’re now supplying 15 or 16 or 17 cars, if that drops down to say nine or 10, that will definitely reduce our costs and improve the return.”

Which has been their argument for a while.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

this might be a naive and smoothbrained take, but the v6tt (plus hybrid i guess) formula indy runs isn't too far from a lot of other series, right? Is the ROI (or i guess rate of loss because lmao at profiting from a racing team) just not good enough to draw anyone in?

They’re a bit special in terms of the packaging, for one, plus there’s been development down this path for a while by Honda and Chevy.

The real thing is both OEMs want another partner, who will develop an engine that gets to parity with the current ones, but not somebody who then turns it into an arms race. Notably this is what happened in the DTM pre-pandemic, BMW joined and upset a happy working agreement Mercedes and Audi had.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Thank y'all for explaining, that all makes a lot of sense but man indycar painted themselves into a corner

I feel like they’re trying to both settle in after the Penske purchase still, and also feeling the repercussions of COVID. Because without the pandemic, I would imagine we have hybrid engines already and a new chassis on the horizon.

This at least feels like less of a panic situation than 1996 or 2008, though, honestly. I know Honda just went public with that, but I still wouldn’t get too worried. There’s almost too many cars, and the biggest issue is “we need a third engine OEM to spread costs out more.” They’re trying to figure out how to grow, not survive, and that’s a key difference.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

what I said about not being worried? HPD - which was setup purely to make engines for IndyCar - saying they should just badge a spec Ilmor engine is worrying, not because of what they will do, but for what it represents of a cultural shift. HPD was recently absorbed into HRC, but that happening is only half the battle - not being able to justify the costs as marketing in IndyCar is a bigger issue.

to be generous you could say "they're seeing how costs are kept down in IMSA GTP and what returns that allows," which is true, but...to cut from the engineering side? For Honda? Dang.

I wonder if a compromise is also opening up to the OEMs the hybrid components in the future. Otherwise, there won't be any fight on this ground until ICEs are dead and buried, I'm afraid.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

loving hell, reports that Gil de Ferran has died

https://twitter.com/gefersonkern/status/1740891354975310006

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh good lord, we got cheatin' news folks

quote:

The IndyCar Series has disqualified Josef Newgarden from the season-opening race in St. Petersburg which he won handily, disqualified teammate Scott McLaughlin from third and penalized Will Power with the loss of 10 points after determining Team Penske, the team owned by IndyCar Series owner Roger Penske, violated the series’ push-to-pass rules.

Second-place finisher Pato O’Ward of Arrow McLaren has been promoted to first and awarded the win.

IndyCar’s longstanding practice in its road and street course races is to disable the push-to-pass system, which gives drivers an extra shot of 50hp or so, prior to starts and restarts. The system only becomes active when the series enables the buttons on the steering wheel to command the engines to deliver the extra power.

During last weekend’s event in Long Beach, the series found the three cars from Team Penske were able to bypass that software restriction and use push-to-pass at any time.

Bolding added by me. Because holy poo poo, this could wind up being an intricate cheat.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007