Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Did anybody even spin in qualis? What happened to the days of trimming out almost all the downforce and using just the breath of baby Jesus to get you through your qualification laps?

There were several runs over the weekend where the cars were clearly on the absolute razor's edge. I think the weekend being clean was a combo of all the dice rolls working out and most of the field being legit good divers, which did not use to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dudley posted:

Presumably while Rahal's car is out he could in theory take a drive in Wilson's ride if offered. Legge doing her teammate a solid there if so.

It's very likely he could not accept a seat from a Chevy team, even if the team was inclined to offer it to him. Expect JR Hildebrand.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BWV posted:

was it more advantageous there to be in 2nd or did the guy in first err?

Leader's a sitting duck on the start, only hope is 2nd passes too early and you can get him back on the backstretch.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Death, taxes, Scott Dixon making you ask "how the gently caress did he end up in front" and winning.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Spaced God posted:

this might be a naive and smoothbrained take, but the v6tt (plus hybrid i guess) formula indy runs isn't too far from a lot of other series, right? Is the ROI (or i guess rate of loss because lmao at profiting from a racing team) just not good enough to draw anyone in?

Honda's LMDh/GTP Acura engine is a detuned version of the 2.4L engine they were developing for what was supposed to be the new Indycar formula before it got dropped, otherwise it's weird/different enough from other series that everyone seems to think they'd need to start a program from scratch.

I don't know why Indycar shouldn't adopt the same formula as Superformula, just with the boost turned up a bit. Would probably instantly net them Toyota, although I guess Chevy might not be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah the engines are "stressed members," essentially part of the chassis. You either make your block the exact special snowflake dimensions to serve that role or you have to make an adapter (with the engine smaller as needed to fit into the adapter). That's a big part of the corner Indycar is backed into, they can't change the engine formula significantly without a new chassis, and if they want to change the chassis without changing the engine yet then they have to make the new chassis work with the current engines and any potential new formulas down the road. And changing both at the same time would cause the owners to riot.