Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Bip Roberts posted:

Out of all the tracks why did they choose the iowa ring for a twofer?

Because Hy-Vee is willing to pay up for other and bring in the major concerts.

Please ignore Penske being very good here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
This weekend, we should get more news about the changing 2024 schedule.

Major changes

-Laguna moved up to be between St.Pete and Texas, filling in the month gap we previously had.

-Nashville getting reconfigured, but still using the comedy bridge. Also, season finale.This will go splendid I'm sure

-Second Indy GP race dropped. Either going to be replaced with Milwaukee, or Milwaukee will come back in the old Nashville date (this weekend). Race CANNOT be during the state fair, so that limits it to later in August. (2024 State Fair is 1st to 11th it seems?)
-NASCAR related, yee haw, they're going back to the Brickyard 400 which totally won't be bad.

-International Race/Argentina, might be non-points post season (think 2008 Surfers Paradise), then a points race for 2025.

Would expect the dominoes to start falling once Nashville announces the flipping around.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Dudley posted:

Getting the teams to spend money going abroad to where their sponsors aren't is risky. Does a Foyt or Coyne have that kind of spare.... coin.

Supposedly the Argentinians are putting 8.5 million towards the race sanctioning fee. If you assume it gets split evenly and all 27 full time cars from this year show up, that's about 315,000 per car.

Is that enough to entice Coyne and Foyt to run a.non-points race? Dunno, I would hope so but can understand if not.

The question then becomes, can that 8.5m stay consistent if it becomes a point paying race, and if it does, where does it fit in the schedule, considering that St. Pete contractually has the first race of the season and Nashville will likely have the last? Do you put it in the St. Pete to Texas gap and throw Laguna back with the Portland swing?

https://espndeportes.espn.com/deporte-motor/nota/_/id/12357752/indycar-agustin-canapino-argentina-termas-rio-hondo-santiago-del-estero-2024

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
Pagenaud ruled out for Nashville, Linus Lindqvsit, the man denied a IndyCar seat/funding is in.

As someone said on a discord I'm on, "I feel like this is a Kurt Busch situation for Pags", which isn't the best situation for him.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Tyree posted:

So what is the deal with Palou now? He is staying with Chip?

The chatter is Palou wanted to go to McLaren because hey, Daniel Ric was bad and should be an open seat for 2024!

Then the Oscar saga happened and now there's 0 chance of a McLaren f1 seat unless Merc snags Lando because Lewis is retiring.

Meanwhile, McLaren Indy has hired ferrari to be their pit crew, while Palou is on auto pilot to win the championship.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Moktaro posted:

Why would you do this... :ferrari:

As a fellow suffering tifosi, I call it when I see it :ferrari:

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
Death, Taxes, and where the gently caress did Dixon come from?

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
The RLL tweet at least disabled comments but uh

Yeah, lol RLL

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

marshalljim posted:

Here's that graphic people have been talking about, in case anyone else missed it:

Chip has his Dixon replacement, now Palou just has to weather McLaren trying to strip him of every cent for the contract shenanigans

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

curried lamb of God posted:

Kirkwood signed an extension with Andretti, which has always worked out well

Loldretti

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

harperdc posted:

That joke doesn't work with HPD in the U.S., as they have been in American open wheel right about 30 years consecutively -- first with CART pre-split (1994) and the first few years of ChampCar, before jumping to the IRL and for a time being the sole supplier before Chevy came back in.

I would both be worried about HPD saber rattling and not, though, because their biggest concern is still the Mythical Third Engine Partner.

My take is this isn't HPD, this is Honda Japan/HRC going "you're wasting how much money for what return?!"

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Spaced God posted:

Thank y'all for explaining, that all makes a lot of sense but man indycar painted themselves into a corner

It's a series that is haunted by the ghosts of 2008, 1996, and 1979.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
https://racer.com/2023/12/13/hondas-proposal-to-help-contain-indycar-engine-supply-costs/

Honda's solution? Stop building engines, just faux badge them and have a somewhat customized software for the engines.

Crate engines, crate hybrids, it's one way of cutting costs I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
God drat cheating penske :argh: