Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I actually think it wasn't the worst possible strategy call in hindsight, but even then it was in hopes of jumping from the back to mid pack.

Given how much fuel a lot of Chevy teams had to save, I think sacrificing the yellow pit stop could have played in their favor. Gain track position during the yellow when everyone else stops, run as long as you can before pitting under green, actually be able to race the last stint.

It just fails miserably when you're the only one doing it, your teammate gets released from the pits at nearly the worst possible time, and you hit the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I went the first year they came back and parking was hilariously expensive. Spent way less taking rideshare to within walking distance of the track, and then light rail back into town at the end of the day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

2017 - The One That Got Away Comes Back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOqhXTDjKY&t=189s
Winner: Takuma Sato - Andretti Autosport - Dallara/Honda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOdeh0Pu_U

The only words you'll understand are "Final Lap".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Buy, no.

Take when it's offered to him, apparently yes. He just got announced as the replacement driver in the 24.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Excuse me, the correct term is Veins Of Milk.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Of course they're military dickriding, it's the Indy 500 on Memorial Day Weekend. It's still vastly less than the NOT AS BRAVE AS ARE TROOOOOOOPS 600.

All they've said further on the tether is that the tether itself didn't fail, and Pruett pointed out that the wheel is still attached to the hub. Which tells me they are being very pedantic about the tether itself not failing, but one of the attachment points did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

marshalljim posted:

I saw somewhere that they're going to have two heat races and then a top 12 main event. Do we know anything about how the club members are going to be "embedded" with teams or whatever? Are they going for some reality TV angle there for the broadcast, or is that aspect strictly for the members' benefit?

The whole thing seems a little odd, but I don't see much reason to hate on it, given that it probably would have been an empty weekend otherwise and will mean more money for at least some of the teams.

And if we were to get some nitty-gritty behind the scenes stuff wrt engineering and strategy and such, that would be great. Probably wishful thinking there, though.

It sounds like part of it is the rich amateurs will be paired up with Indycar drivers by random draw, and they have their own race in some spec GT cars, and the combined finishing position plays into who wins? I'm sure we'll get the format beaten into our skulls by Leigh Diffey. :negative:

Bip Roberts posted:

Nashville will be totally different next year. There's basically a 5 turn layout that goes down broadway and they're going to be going real fast into the 90 degree turns.

I suspect that the new layout, plus the move to the last race of the year, is going to result in Crashville again. A big part of the reason for all the crazy moves at Laguna this year was the fairly wide-and-close battle to be in the Leader's Circle money. In Laguna's case, combine that with a track layout that typically does not result in passing, a new track surface with extremely high grip on-line and extremely low grip off-line, and add in a healthy dose of "Indycar drivers gonna dumb" and you get that (hilarious) shitshow. Nashville is going to have the end-of-season drama, a new layout, and probably an absurd amount of marbles off-line after a few laps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty much, yes. Marshall Pruett did a bunch of videos last year of the then-brand-new LMDh cars and the Acura with the should've-been-shared engine had a dramatically smaller powertrain than everyone else. Ignoring MSR's tire fuckery, having a drivetrain that small in a car with that much room in a series where you'll get BoP adjustments anyway, isn't inherently an advantage. So everyone else went with much larger engines, both in terms of displacement and overall packaging.

The DW12's engine bay is small. The current engines fit inside a very small and tightly constrained volume. I don't think there are any rule allowances for a different engine cowling, and even if there were, the drag penalty for an engine without a power gain would be an absolute non-starter for teams today. Penske didn't mind running a bigger cowling over the Beast because they had 100hp+ on the field to offset it.

Then the last of it is down to just surviving Indy. It's the only 500-mile race and it's the only true superspeedway race. Even at Texas they're lifting more than at Indy; Indy is as close to 500 miles of wide open throttle as it gets. Yet we've been blessed with an obscenely reliable era in Indycar with the current engine formula.

Personally, if it comes down to losing engine suppliers, I think the Super Formula option is an intriguing one. They make 550hp on 102 octane gasoline. I vote the series figures out a way to greenwash methanol as carbon capture, and run Super Formula specs with no boost limit. Drivers should have the option to risk sending a piston into low earth orbit to win the 500.

edit: and also that, Indycar's steadfast refusal to do anything more than The Bare loving Minimum means they are trying to court fans, owners, and engine suppliers who all have conflicting interests.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Irrespective of that though the Acura was very competitive.

Sure, but not by enough over the other LMDh drivetrains to justify what is probably a considerably more expensive engine than what everyone else is using. Which would have been easier to justify if it had been able to use the Indycar engines to benefit from some economies of scale.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Thank y'all for explaining, that all makes a lot of sense but man indycar painted themselves into a corner

And they keep justifying it with "but the racing is the best" which is true... but clearly it doesn't matter given the low TV ratings and empty stands at half the calendar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

From what the team said it sounded like they had software from the recent hybrid test loaded that allowed P2P at any time, and it was discovered when one of them used P2P during warmup at long beach.

"It was the hybrids, honest" reeks a bit too much of "my dog ate my homework". Because that doesn't explain why both Scott and Josef used it, since they shouldn't have expected anything to happen.

Pruett's article removes just about all doubt in my mind about it being intentional. I just don't get how the series was so blind as to miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

God I miss Paul Page.