Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh hey in a new study that surprises absolutely no one

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/05/health/keto-low-carb-high-fat-diets-heart-disease/index.html

quote:

“Our study found that regular consumption of a self-reported diet low in carbohydrates and high in fat was associated with increased levels of LDL cholesterol – or “bad” cholesterol – and a higher risk of heart disease,” lead study author Dr. Iulia Iatan with the Healthy Heart Program Prevention Clinic, St. Paul’s Hospital and University of British Columbia’s Centre for Heart Lung Innovation in Vancouver, Canada, said in a news release.

Please let this be a space so that we can remember all the idiot goons who went on this diet and are now on statins at the age of 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

listen man i just eat food from the gas station. in my car

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quote:

the study’s limitations included measurement errors that occur when dietary assessments are self-reported, the study’s small sample size and that most of the participants were British

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Ok.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Isn't keto just a rebranding of the Atkins diet?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Turns out that if you eat 4000 calories of bacon fat every day you might lose fat from your brain needing carbs to continue existing but you also turn your arteries into ranch dressing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Toxic Mental posted:

Turns out that if you eat 4000 calories of bacon fat every day you might lose fat from your brain needing carbs to continue existing but you also turn your arteries into ranch dressing

ITS A LIFESTYLE

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Fad diets make me angry to no end.

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. That's it. There are many many ways to do that. I could eat nothing but Big Macs for meals and I can lose weight. I'd cripple myself or die however, because that it not healthy. In 2023 we know what a healthy balanced diet looks like.

Toxic Mental posted:

:wrong:

Jordan Peterson is a brilliant archetype of a man.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i eat lots of fat

fat tiddies and booties

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. That's it.

This is an oversimplification, bodies are complicated

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
Fake news

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
there are so many people who would rather die than just eat a vegetable every day.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I mean it's probably still right that this poo poo is unhealthy, but uh yeah, not really confident in how these results were gathered.

Then again I'd imagine most of these sorts of studies have very flawed data gathering methods to begin with, but I've pretty much forgotten all the stat stuff I learned in college so I may be wrong.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Denying myself potatoes would never have happened, so I’ve been safe.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fad diets make me angry to no end.

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. That's it. There are many many ways to do that. I could eat nothing but Big Macs for meals and I can lose weight. I'd cripple myself or die however, because that it not healthy. In 2023 we know what a healthy balanced diet looks like.

:wrong:

Jordan Peterson is a brilliant archetype of a man.

Aren't you alcoholic? This is the equivalent of someone simplifying that to "just don't drink"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I eat Five Guys every day and my heart is exploding

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
free dad gay so what

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm sure 300 fat British people telling their doctor they tried keto and it didn't work is the smoking gun we've been waiting on.

lovely science is lovely science, don't post stuff just because you agree with it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Private Cumshoe posted:

I eat Five Guys every day and my heart is exploding

You need more veggies to balance it out, make sure to add some fries on your burger.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't wanna be on a diet, I just want to die-it! Because food is good but depression isn't!

I'm here all night folks.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Do onions and mushrooms count?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm a dumb, lazy american and even I manage to not be fat. idk maybe you just have to wish hard enough

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Private Cumshoe posted:

Do onions and mushrooms count?

If they're fried first, yeah. Your heart needs the extra oils to lubricate your blood better.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mega64 posted:

I mean it's probably still right that this poo poo is unhealthy, but uh yeah, not really confident in how these results were gathered.

Then again I'd imagine most of these sorts of studies have very flawed data gathering methods to begin with, but I've pretty much forgotten all the stat stuff I learned in college so I may be wrong.

Last time I looked at it the only substantial clinical study was in rats. The "low carb diet" was modelled with a 1:3 ratio of pure glucose and lard. The breakthrough was that this is bad for rats.

If there's any clinical study since that doesn't suck I'd be interested to read it and find out how soon I'm going to die after I stopped eating sugar, bread and potatoes and lost 60lbs and my doctor de-classified me as pre-diabetic.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm regular fat lol losers

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
Elon Musk and the twinks of LA are all on Olzempic

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm sure 300 fat British people telling their doctor they tried keto and it didn't work is the smoking gun we've been waiting on.

Being British should be a crime.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
PEIPLE. ARE. DY8NING!!!!!!!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Being British should be a crime.

They're already contained to a single miserable island, what more do you want

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
gently caress yeah gonna go eat a loaf of bread slathered in mayo and bacpn

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Barudak posted:

They're already contained to a single miserable island, what more do you want

They shouldn't be able to leave and criminals elsewhere should be shipped there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chainchompz posted:

Isn't keto just a rebranding of the Atkins diet?

Ketogenic diets were originally developed as a treatment for epilepsy, as the ketones produced by the body when it burns stored fat can have a positive effect on certain kinds of epilepsy. Fad diets took the basic concepts and applied various buzzwords over the years.

Of course you need to eat somewhat clean instead of 2000 calories of grease for every meal if you don't want a heart attack.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

feelix posted:

Aren't you alcoholic? This is the equivalent of someone simplifying that to "just don't drink"

Not sure what that has to do with thermodynamics.

But yes, bodies are extremely complicated and what I said was a super simplification. But it's a good guide to start with until you know your own body.

edit: my experience is putting on and taking off weight many many times.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 6, 2023

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Only loving motherless pieces of human loving poo poo eat their food in this particular way imho

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Put that loving piece of keto food down you motherfucker and enjoy your early miserable death

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

thin blue whine posted:

i eat lots of fat

fat tiddies and booties

hell yeah

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
they have keto koko puffs at shoprite and it's like thirteen bucks for a box!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Not sure what that has to do with thermodynamics.

But yes, bodies are extremely complicated and what I said was a super simplification. But it's a good guide to start with until you know your own body.

edit: my experience is putting on and taking off weight many many times.

You're an addict judging other addicts and it's a nasty constant about your posting hope that helps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I agree, obesity is food addiction and unfortunately the US is nearing a 50% addiction rate. in a few short years the gastrically sober will be the minority and society's knees will later buckle under its own corpulence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
It's okay to eat bacom sometimes