Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I will say one thing in earnest and that's i wish i could find like a youtube breakdown of the keto thread cause it gets referenced so often and seems like it would make Great Cotnent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Ultra processed foods" is not an actual scientific concept in any way, although the rest of your post is mostly correct.

Processed food is like ground beef. Unprocessed food is like a piece of steak. Get it? Good.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

Processed food is like ground beef. Unprocessed food is like a piece of steak. Get it? Good.

Got it. Less wine, more fermented rotten fruit. I'm drunk and dying, ask me anything

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Eat a nice Cobb salad. Protein, carbs and fat all in one place!

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

EoinCannon posted:

This is an oversimplification, bodies are complicated

Reducing the amount of calories you consume vs the amount of calories your body burns is going to reduce the 'fat' in your body for most people. Its not impossible that your body can and will retain a shitload of water, but overall that metric is valid for almost everyone.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Once i was able to come to grips with “Feeling hungry is what losing weight feels like. It means my efforts are working. Dont snack now youll gently caress yourself out of your progress today.” I started losing weight.

Yea, it sucks. But the suck is just how progress goes for a lot of stuff.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
"Eat until you're not hungry, don't eat until you're full." works pretty well for me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my uncle was an idiot florida trump republican who was on the atkins diet for 20+ years. at one point he went on vacation and couldn't get anything with fake sugar, and he was like wow, this cured the weird stomach spasms I've been having for 20 years! but he came back home and went back on it. a few years later he died of a massive heart attack

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

GBS could stand to be less intolerable talking about weight, diets, etc. Maybe that's some weight we can shed. Collective stupidity

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Das Boo posted:

"Eat until you're not hungry, don't eat until you're full." works pretty well for me.

Yea this one was huge for me also.

Be advised the “not hungry” takes a least 10 minutes to set in because its a hormone thing, so it pairs up with “chew slow and have a conversation or smth.” so you dont blow right by that point.

I am trying to untrain myself from “fast eater”.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What’s even more disturbing is the incidence of S.O.A.R. (Sudden onset adult re-remediation) amongst diet researchers. :downs:

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I’m a keto survivor.

I had to live with 4 people on the diet for 2 years. While they were on the diet, the two keto evangelists yo-yo’d up and down in weight, the two normies caught in the hype lost no weight and I gained ten pounds. This is over two years that I gained ten pounds so, gently caress it. Eventually one of the evangelists managed to loose 30lbs and keep it off, but not the other. Turns out the guy who succeeded was known for being able to live off of bacon and could actually eat a whole stick of butter, long before he went keto.

Dehydrated cheese tastes loving amazing with beer and I can eat steak every day, EVERY GOD DAMNED DAY and not get sick of it apparently. Being smug and just downing a ton of kombucha and eating huge salads a couple times a week was fine. Microbiome or something idk. They all consumed so much processed fiber because “1g of fiber cancels out 1g of carbs”.

The toilets were amazingly bad because they never pooped right.

Processed fiber and sugar alcohol, the stuff in those Harribo gummi bears that inspired fantastic Amazon reviews years ago.

I think weight retention has something to do with genetics as well as diet. That includes biological gender, men get larger carb allowance than women as an example.

I personally am a lot more active now and that extra ten lbs is gone. I eat a ton of garbage and just try to have good prebiotic/probiotic meals with as much leafy green as possible occasionally. My heart, weight level and blood pressure (drink lots of actual water) are all fantastic as I cruise on into middle age. I’ve smoked for 25+ years, drank extensively and consumed more than my fair share of pot and generally nobody believes how old I am.

My hair is turning white now because I’ve achieved super sayian, or more likely that silver hair just runs in my family, but I’m still no fatter than I was 5 years ago, no weight watching at all.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

It's cross cultural and affects lab animals on controlled diets. The whole world is getting fatter. The finger points very specifically to ultra processed foods. You will have vastly different weight loss outcomes if you eat 2000 calories of taco bell and ice cream vs 2000 calories of raw vegetables a day.

Do you happen to be able to point to the "lab animals on same-calorie diet, ultra-processed vs natural" results?

Not that I'm 100% disagreeing that ultra-processed foods are bad, but most everything I've seen on the subject says that the biggest issue is that these foods make it extremely easy to eat a far higher calorie diet. They're more calorie dense, faster to eat, and fight against satiation. 2000 calories of unprocessed food is a full 3 meals and a snack. 2000 calories of mcdonalds is lunch.

A good example is this NIH study where people eating the processed foods ate about 500 more calories, completely naturally.

How many calories are in a food's standard nutritional profile is already adjusted for ease of digestion / how much energy you are typically able to extract, so the uranium thing is just wrong.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have lost 35lb or so in the last year starting from 230 or so w/ some small changes to my habits, and a little more than half of it fell right off over a few months when I quit drinking and was kind of the thing that made me realize I felt better and encouraged me to make other tweaks to my lifestyle. So if you drink, maybe start there.

If you are always starving between meals, this is your ape brain thinking it is starving to death; it affects your mental health because it thinks you should be depressed and anxious about starving to death, and it affects your weight loss because your metabolism will screech to a halt to prevent it. IMO, be open to snacking between meals/eating less food more often, in combination with reduced portions and eating better things. I get a lot of mileage out of tubs of lightly salted mixed nuts from costco here; if I'm hungry between meals I can eat like 5 nuts and it will shut my stomach up for hours. A handful of nuts is a lot of fat, and not a good snack, but 5 will seriously do the trick for me. At the end of the day I might eat half a portion of nuts, per the tub, but I'm not starving when I reach lunch or dinner so it's easy to take smaller portions, eat more slowly and feel satisfied at the end, and the fact that I'm never starving reflects that my brain doesn't think I'm starving to death and isn't fighting me. After almost a year of this, my stomach is smaller and I couldn't eat the portions I was taking before without feeling uncomfortable. IMO the idea that you should eat just 3 times a day and suffer between then as needed is part of the problem. That feeling is your brain trying to stop you from losing weight and a reflection of the hormonal and metabolic mechanisms that make weight loss difficult.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Keto diet is great if you're interested in having diarrhea all the time.

Every other post on reddit's /r/keto is "HOW I STOP DIARRHEA???"

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Never once in my life thought keto was a healthy way to lose weight. Anyone who tells you that it’s healthier to eat bacon than green beans is a loving lunatic.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
So you've got the Keto diarrhea flu huh? Have you tried drinking beef broth mixed with apple cider vinegar, psyllium husk powder, and stevia?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

wow the keto sub is insane

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/11jzsbf/fox_affiliate_new_packagestory_ketogenic_diet/

They sound like complete nutjobs, one of the comments is "at the bugs. Drink the seed oils. Own nothing. Be happy." like they're fighting against some kind of anti-keto conspiracy syndicate.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Ultra processed foods" is not an actual scientific concept in any way, although the rest of your post is mostly correct.

It is a term used by actual scientists all the time but I'm sure you know better than them just like every other moron ITT

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Klyith posted:

Do you happen to be able to point to the "lab animals on same-calorie diet, ultra-processed vs natural" results?

Not that I'm 100% disagreeing that ultra-processed foods are bad, but most everything I've seen on the subject says that the biggest issue is that these foods make it extremely easy to eat a far higher calorie diet. They're more calorie dense, faster to eat, and fight against satiation. 2000 calories of unprocessed food is a full 3 meals and a snack. 2000 calories of mcdonalds is lunch.

A good example is this NIH study where people eating the processed foods ate about 500 more calories, completely naturally.

How many calories are in a food's standard nutritional profile is already adjusted for ease of digestion / how much energy you are typically able to extract, so the uranium thing is just wrong.

Only sane person in this thread. Goons love talking about "exact same amount of calories of junk vs healthy food" but only a person who has never been mindful about what they eat would miss the point about how difficult it is to eat the same amount of calories of health food.

Is your last sentence actually 100% true though? Don't they just burn the food and measure the heat of combustion? Which is why there is actually some truth to "net carbs" -- some fiber will burn, but will not digest

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I recall reading studies a decade or so ago that basically tweaked macro percentages and found that higher protein and lower carbs corresponded with people eating less to feel full and feeling satiated longer. So it wasn’t like 2k of carbs vs 2k of not carbs magically doing something, it ended up being like 1750 of not carb vs 2250 of carbs resulting in a relative calorie deficit for low carb person.

This largely jives with my experience. If I eat a pork chop and some mixed roasted veg or whatever I’ll consume less calories than if I’m eating spaghetti. Obviously there are counter examples, like I could pretty easily blow past a day’s caloric needs if I just had a jar of nuts at my computer and snacked on it constantly but in broad strokes it makes sense that to me and whenever i feel myself pudging up usually the two things I cut back on are liquid calories (beer mostly for me, not really a soda guy) and stuff like pasta.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Klyith posted:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2010.1890

quote:

Abstract

A dramatic rise in obesity has occurred among humans within the last several decades. Little is known about whether similar increases in obesity have occurred in animals inhabiting human-influenced environments. We examined samples collectively consisting of over 20 000 animals from 24 populations (12 divided separately into males and females) of animals representing eight species living with or around humans in industrialized societies. In all populations, the estimated coefficient for the trend of body weight over time was positive (i.e. increasing). The probability of all trends being in the same direction by chance is 1.2 × 10−7. Surprisingly, we find that over the past several decades, average mid-life body weights have risen among primates and rodents living in research colonies, as well as among feral rodents and domestic dogs and cats. The consistency of these findings among animals living in varying environments, suggests the intriguing possibility that the aetiology of increasing body weight may involve several as-of-yet unidentified and/or poorly understood factors (e.g. viral pathogens, epigenetic factors). This finding may eventually enhance the discovery and fuller elucidation of other factors that have contributed to the recent rise in obesity rates.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Nice controlled calorie matched study, friend!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

feelix posted:

Only sane person in this thread. Goons love talking about "exact same amount of calories of junk vs healthy food" but only a person who has never been mindful about what they eat would miss the point about how difficult it is to eat the same amount of calories of health food.

When you go hiking a a bit, and have had to figure out how to pack 3-5 days worth of food in your pack along with everything else, you notice pretty quick what sort of foods have high caloric density and what ones don't. Although nuts and seeds are still the best for that. Great for snacking on, and calorie dense as hell. Never go hiking with out a big bag/contain of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
I lost 40 pound in 2 months by fasting. Overall, I retained at least 60% of my weight loss. It was worth it. No illegal drugs, ozempic, or stimulants. I was fully satiated by God's manna and a cheese or banana ration.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Intermittent fasting owns actually it makes you feel serene

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cancer posted:

Intermittent fasting owns actually it makes you feel serene

I;m feeling like "Come to Jamaica and Feel All Right" levels of relax whenever I lean on God. I let go completely from the cares of life for 2 months, and got what I hoped for -- a body that affects traffic.

My real diet was first cutting down my calories to only eating low-calorie foods, to Intermittent Fasting (not eating a day or 2, having something small to eat like 1.5 or 2 banana, not eating for 2 more days, having 2 slices of cheese a day one after the other, etc. After intermittent fasting, I was Fasting for more than 3 days. That's where the real weight loss set in. I "leaned in" on God's mana filling my dietary needs. I was also taking supplements to maintain my vitals.

But I have since gained 10-15 pounds but I've been eating a lot and anything I want. So now I'm restarting my cycle. I will update this thread with my diet and tell you how I keep down weight.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have some alkalized water to drink,.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just feeling hungry or full has a big genetic component and if you always feel hungry it's gonna suck to keep off weight more than if you just don't get that hungry i think

intermittent fasting made me feel good when i felt all stuffed up and full of crap

if you eat fewer calories than you burn, it's going to be difficult to put on weight

if you eat a lot of veggies and whole foods you're just going to be full as hell and not want to eat any more

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

dr_rat posted:

When you go hiking a a bit, and have had to figure out how to pack 3-5 days worth of food in your pack along with everything else, you notice pretty quick what sort of foods have high caloric density and what ones don't. Although nuts and seeds are still the best for that. Great for snacking on, and calorie dense as hell. Never go hiking with out a big bag/contain of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.

Yup my partner thought it would be unreasonable to eat 3000 cals a day while backpacking because it would take up too much room but it's really not that hard if you bring a bunch of snack food

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

Mozi posted:

if you eat a lot of veggies and whole foods you're just going to be full as hell and not want to eat any more
This was not true for me. I was eating vegetable soup (no bullshit high calorie foods or flavourings like cheese used) really simple stuff not some internet Anas crap and NOT losing weight. I had to stop eating for days. By the third day I was pleasantly smiling at feeling like I just had an AYCE at heaven's buffet

that g ova there fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 6, 2023

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

just feeling hungry or full has a big genetic component and if you always feel hungry it's gonna suck to keep off weight more than if you just don't get that hungry i think

intermittent fasting made me feel good when i felt all stuffed up and full of crap

if you eat fewer calories than you burn, it's going to be difficult to put on weight

this but instead a pack of smokes a day

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Insane rereg guy

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

Insane rereg guy

also try heroin it stops diarrhea

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

feelix posted:

Insane rereg guy

We're not all guys or trans. Your white male privileged constant time to shine is over pal.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Not eating for days at a time isn't intermittent fasting it's just a bad idea hth. Just stick with 12-20 hour eating breaks

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

Decedent posted:

also try heroin it stops diarrhea

I don't have diarrhea

Colonel Cancer posted:

Not eating for days at a time isn't intermittent fasting it's just a bad idea hth. Just stick with 12-20 hour eating breaks

I capitalized Fasting to distinguish it from Intermittent Fasting. Thought it would help but apparently just confused people.

Next time please

Read
Comprehend
:rcp:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's what it means in research literature. What is colloquially known as intermittent fasting is called "time restricted feeding"

Or, since it's been extended to include fasts as short as 12 hours, you can just call it "a meaningless term encompassing most normal eating patterns". It used to just be a rebranding of "skipping breakfast", but it's not even that anymore!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

the way i did it was 2 days of normal eating then a 24 hour break, like dinner to dinner.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neat. A study that doesn't even make a specific claim or conclusion of its own, and suggests two factors that are not ultra processed foods. That's not even good enough for some partial credit effort points.

feelix posted:

Is your last sentence actually 100% true though? Don't they just burn the food and measure the heat of combustion? Which is why there is actually some truth to "net carbs" -- some fiber will burn, but will not digest

quote:

The Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990 (NLEA) currently dictates what information is presented on food labels. The NLEA requires that the Calorie level placed on a packaged food be calculated from food components. According to the National Data Lab (NDL), most of the calorie values in the USDA and industry food tables are based on an indirect calorie estimation made using the so-called Atwater system. In this system, calories are not determined directly by burning the foods. Instead, the total caloric value is calculated by adding up the calories provided by the energy-containing nutrients: protein, carbohydrate, fat and alcohol. Because carbohydrates contain some fiber that is not digested and utilized by the body, the fiber component is usually subtracted from the total carbohydrate before calculating the calories.

OTOH I guess the values for those originally come from calorimeter (burning) and aren't adjusted for true net food energy. So for relevance to this thread, protein costs more energy during digestion than carbs. Thus a controlled diet of X nutritional-label calories could produce different weight gain-or-loss results depending if it was high protein or high carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
I haven't eaten yet but I plan on having oatmeal with banana and a smoothie to subsist on for the entire day as I will ease into IF in 24 hours. Real hood rich diet poo poo eating like a rich bitch poo poo.