Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have perfect control of my body composition. The fact that I look like a walrus is a tremendous force of will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
There are viruses (adenovirus 36 in particular) that are associated with obesity, nevermind the plethora of endocrine-disrupting small molecule compounds that modernity has introduced into the wild like PFAS and bisphenol-A.

I honestly don't know what to tell you if you don't think exogenous substances that can alter metabolism could be a causative agent for obesity other than "okay that's nice".

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rhadamanthus posted:

There are viruses (adenovirus 36 in particular) that are associated with obesity, nevermind the plethora of endocrine-disrupting small molecule compounds that modernity has introduced into the wild like PFAS and bisphenol-A.

I honestly don't know what to tell you if you don't think exogenous substances that can alter metabolism could be a causative agent for obesity other than "okay that's nice".

To the second sentence: nobody is saying that and you know it. That's why you backpedaled from "I definitely know that calories have stayed the same and these are the only things causing obesity instead" to "oh so you're saying I'm crazy for thinking there are complex external factors that could, maybe, possibly, have some effect "?

To your first sentence and to your posts in general: go listen to more Joe Rogan you loving kook

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Nobody is saying that microplastics are good for you or that it is impossible that they play a causative role in obesity and other negative health outcomes.
What we are saying is that being sedentary and eating like poo poo causes obesity and negative health outcomes with a much higher certainty than microplastics do, so anyone who is overly focused on microplastics or viruses or any of that other crap in the context of the obesity epidemic is either a grifter or someone who has been grifted.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The only way to really lose weight is just fast 2-4 days a week and eat like 500 calories a day on the non fast days. I won 120 bucks in a month long weight loss competition using this method while losing 30lbs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Sounds sustainable and good for mental and physical health

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

feelix posted:

Sounds sustainable and good for mental and physical health

Losing weight is inherently unsustainable

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
What I'm wondering is if there's any possible benefit from the fact that besides ice cream, carby cold cereal, and muffins [which I completely know are bad for you] I eat giant vegetable rich green leafy salads with hardly any dressing every single day without fail.
So I eat really bad food and really good food at the same time, menopause ftw

I know the bad food is bad I'm just asking out of curiosity if mixing it in with all the vegetables and leafy greens helps at all. I'm totally getting fat, too many calories total

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Spinz posted:

What I'm wondering is if there's any possible benefit from the fact that besides ice cream, carby cold cereal, and muffins [which I completely know are bad for you] I eat giant vegetable rich green leafy salads with hardly any dressing every single day without fail.

I know the bad food is bad I'm just asking out of curiosity if mixing it in with all the vegetables and leafy greens helps at all. I'm totally getting fat, too many calories total

I'm not a medical doctor but it sounds like from what I've read microplastics are to blame.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Rhadamanthus posted:

gently caress well I guess I’ll toss this big bowl of bisphenol-A I just poured up

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

500excf type r posted:

Losing weight is inherently unsustainable

Idk if you're trolling or not but a good weight loss plan should be only slightly unsustainable. If you plan to keep the weight off, you will have to eat less than you are eating now, forever. So it only makes sense to structure your temporary weight loss diet to be similar to your forever maintenance diet, just a little more restrictive.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Spinz posted:

Yes it is good for you, for two reasons
1) vitamins and minerals dawg
2) it is filling, so without it you would likely eat even MORE junk and get fat faster

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I want to hear more from the guy who thinks 'Uranium has 18m kCal' is some kind of proof of anything at all.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 7, 2023

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, so instead of responding to all the negative comments I will just post my sources here in this post.

Just to clarify my previous comments, I am very clearly not claiming that genetics is the sole cause of body composition. I am claiming that it has a significant impact on body composition.

As a previous poster mentioned, there are people who have altered their behaviour to go from being very high in body fat to very low in body fat. However, the way one goes about doing this varies on a case-by-case basis. One method of weight loss (outside of maybe liposuction) might work for one person, but not work for another. This is due to individual differences in physiology that are primarily informed by your genetics.

Anyways, here are my sources.

Firstly, for a more entertaining way of consuming a lot of this information, please see the podcast Maintenance Phase

In particular, these episodes:

• Doctors Have a New Plan for Fat Kids
  • "Glorifying Obesity" and Other Myths About Fat People
  • "French Women Don't Get Fat"
  • The Trouble With Calories

Secondly, a list of DOIs of peer-reviewed meta-analyses that strongly suggest a genetic link between genetics and "obesity". For those of you who don't know, meta-analyses synthesize the results of many studies (usually more than 10, but not always) to determine if a relationship seen across multiple studies can be found when looked at in aggregate.

• 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03523.x
  • 10.1016/j.spinee.2015.02.001
  • 10.1093/bmb/ldx022
  • 10.1111/apa.15971

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
glad we've got that all sorted out

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm eating a bowl of icecream right now. It's vanilla and boysenberry, pretty rad.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dr.D-O posted:

• "French Women Don't Get Fat"

word

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Yes

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Dr.D-O posted:

Firstly, for a more entertaining way of consuming a lot of this information, please see the podcast Maintenance Phase

lol I listened to one episode of this last year, about how no one dies of obesity. it was a "of covid" vs. "with covid" type of nonsense.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
If all you want is to curb your appetite, is heroin or cigarettes the better option?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Stink Billyums posted:

lol I listened to one episode of this last year, about how no one dies of obesity. it was a "of covid" vs. "with covid" type of nonsense.

So maybe no. I didn't vet the podcast and it seems that OP has already backpedaled enough on their own to "yeah ok behavior change isn't actually negligible at all"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Stink Billyums posted:

Yeah, Maintenance Phase is actively bad and will end up having a body count from the misinformation that they spread. It's really disappointing seeing Michael Hobbes fall down the same hole far too many folks have fallen down before of getting gassed up on his own expertise level after knocking down a ton of easy targets on You're Wrong About, and then turning his attention to a much more complicated topic and not recognizing that it requires a significantly more rigor to examine.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I have read no posts in this thread and keto is fine and good but the idea is to replace

lean protein, starch, vegetable
With
lean protein, salad w/ olive oil, vegetable

Not eating 2 loving lbs of bacon every day

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

nexous posted:

I have read no posts in this thread and kept is fine and good but the idea is to replace

lean protein, starch, vegetable
With
lean protein, salad w/ olive oil, vegetable

Not eating 2 loving lbs of bacon every day

This is fine. But eating the starch is fine too. Some people may have better overall health outcomes with the starch, others with the olive oil. Some people might get fatter with the starch but want to eat it anyway because it makes them happy, and that's ok too!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

feelix posted:

Idk if you're trolling or not but a good weight loss plan should be only slightly unsustainable. If you plan to keep the weight off, you will have to eat less than you are eating now, forever. So it only makes sense to structure your temporary weight loss diet to be similar to your forever maintenance diet, just a little more restrictive.

100%

I have no idea how but people think going on a "diet" will help them lose weight and then they can go right back to what they were doing. No. You have to change the way you eat for the rest of your life if you want to maintain your weight. I mean..... like no poo poo. How does one not understand that?

edit: it's weird because if I remember I don't care much for feelix but I'm agreeing with just about everything he is saying :confused:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 8, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
You can eat more if you take up long distance cycling or spend your day swimming in a pool.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
My body does not follow the laws of thermodynamics. I am my own perpetual motion machine.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

kntfkr posted:

You can eat more if you take up long distance cycling or spend your day swimming in a pool.

yeah, exercise is great because you can eat like poo poo and look great too if you do enough of it

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I have done the low carb thing off and on for years and personally never had problems with my cholesterol. N of 1 but that's just my experience with it. Anyway I'm probably never going to do it again regardless, I think it gave me an even less healthy relationship with food than I already had. I feel like that's really what weight loss and maintenance comes down to is how you think about food and then your thoughts influence your behaviors. Calories in/out is great and all but people are generally pretty aware of that at this point and they are still fat so obviously you can't just logic yourself out of it. And I really hate the process of counting calories so realistically I need something where I at least don't have to do that long term, if at all. Fasting doesn't go well for me either though I don't normally eat breakfast anyway. I'm never hungry in the morning. But when I fast longer than that I get shaky and irritable.

I read this one book called the gently caress it diet and it was kind of interesting in that it mainly focused on the relationship with food, but it was pretty "fat positive" which is basically like denying that being fat affects your health at all. So it was kinda stupid in that respect but it did make me more mindful of my food choices and what drives them. That book also argued that yoyo dieting is worse for you than just being fat, which I don't know what research says about that. I know they had references to studies but I don't know how much I trust that since they're kind of biased being all fat positive.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

yeah, exercise is great because you can eat like poo poo and look great too if you do enough of it

This is technically true and different people's definition of "like poo poo" will differ, but for a lot of people it will mean that "enough" constitutes training like a professional endurance athlete which is not really feasible for most

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hemale in pain posted:

I was skinny in boot camp (5' 11" 168lbs) and they put me on double rations. I was probably eating about 5,000-6,000 calories a day and got a six pack.

Well, the six pack lasted a week because I got injured and couldn't move much so it disappeared that quickly. Getting Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds bodies take extreme commitment.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr.D-O posted:

Just to clarify my previous comments, I am very clearly not claiming that genetics is the sole cause of body composition. I am claiming that it has a significant impact on body composition.

"There is a significant amount of evidence to suggest that body composition is hugely influenced by genetics and that our individual choices tend to only have a minor impact outside of extreme situations (i.e., eating disorders, hormonal dysfunction)."

Uhh, ok, not the sole cause...

Dr.D-O posted:

Secondly, a list of DOIs of peer-reviewed meta-analyses that strongly suggest a genetic link between genetics and "obesity". For those of you who don't know, meta-analyses synthesize the results of many studies (usually more than 10, but not always) to determine if a relationship seen across multiple studies can be found when looked at in aggregate.

10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03523.x

Hum he hum, let's read the first one. Did you know a cool thing you can do on the internet is link things? You know, when you want someone to actually read it rather than just throw some references around.

quote:

Gene–lifestyle interaction It is well-recognized that a westernized lifestyle is the major driving force behind the obesity epidemic. However, genetically susceptible individuals will gain more weight in this obesogenic environment than those who are genetically protected.

Your own evidence is saying that diet and lifestyle are what makes people obese, and genetics helps (or hurts). Some genes are particularly harmful, like some that contribute to early childhood obesity because that's harmful for life. But having bad genes are on average only "worth" a few kg for an average adult:

quote:

The average BMI of individuals carrying 13 or more risk-alleles (<2% of the population) was 1.46 kg m−2 (or ∼3.7–4.7 kg in body weight) higher compared with those carrying three or fewer risk-alleles

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How long can you coast on a high resting metabolism? I was told by some nurse practitioner that I manage to burn a lot of calories just sitting on the couch. Is that muscle mass or what?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Decedent posted:

How long can you coast on a high resting metabolism? I was told by some nurse practitioner that I manage to burn a lot of calories just sitting on the couch. Is that muscle mass or what?

Muscle mass, higher body temperature, some people literally just fidget all day and burn a surprising number of calories.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have no idea how but people think going on a "diet" will help them lose weight and then they can go right back to what they were doing. No. You have to change the way you eat for the rest of your life if you want to maintain your weight. I mean..... like no poo poo. How does one not understand that?

This is like the most discouraging thing you could possibly say to someone who wants to lose weight, and everybody loving says it. It's just saying "don't bother trying, you're destined for failure".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nigmaetcetera posted:

This is like the most discouraging thing you could possibly say to someone who wants to lose weight, and everybody loving says it. It's just saying "don't bother trying, you're destined for failure".

If you are reading that as discouraging then I think you are misunderstanding that. It is possible to change your body composition to lose fat, gain muscle, hit particular weights, etc; and for those changes to stick. But your body is constantly seeking homeostasis and when you eat a certain way and/or do a certain amount of exercise to achieve a particular body composition, your body is reacting to those inputs to reach that new state of equilibrium. So to maintain a particular body composition you have to maintain the activity and food consumption patterns that allowed your body to reach that state in the first place (or at least switch them out with alternatives that have similar caloric values for consumption and/or exertion). That doesn't mean you are destined for failure, it means that you need to find changes that will work with your lifestyle, because those changes will ultimately be part of your new lifestyle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nigmaetcetera posted:

When someone explicitly thinks of a "diet" as a temporary thing to lose weight and then go back to their old patterns, it's unclear whether they should bother trying.

Rapid weight loss is probably not healthy, rebound weight gain is probably not healthy, repeat yo-yo dieting is definitely not healthy. If you aren't thinking about some type of permanent changes in diet, lifestyle, whatever, it ain't gonna work.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I hear this word all over the place all the time. Many people are saying this word, diet. What could it mean?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I didn't mean it to come off in a bad way. Just a matter of fact thing. Like, if anyone expects to lose weight, I could only imagine that they'd be willing to make changes in their life. Otherwise, don't bother trying. You can't will the weight off. You have to make physical changes and if you don't continue with those changes then you will fail. That is 100% up to you. You may be looking at it in a very extreme way with having to only eat plain chicken breasts 6 times a day or whatever. Billions of people are reasonably healthy and have every single diet and type of food grown on the planet.

It's not so black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

flubber nuts posted:

I hear this word all over the place all the time. Many people are saying this word, diet. What could it mean?