Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I dropped 50lbs during lockdown and have stayed at 12 stone (at 5'11") by maintaining that level of discipline in the 2 years since. Maybe slightly relaxed since I'm maintaining rather than trying to lose more, but pretty much the same.

If I'd gone back to eating like I used to pre weight loss, I'd have rapidly piled that weight back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i do at least like 90% of my own cooking with lots of fresh produce and eat a few pieces of fruit as snacks on a daily basis. my baby momma is pescatarian (was vegan) so i dont eat as much red meat as i used to, but plenty of eggs, butter, and sea food. i think cooking for myself and packing my leftovers means im always eating really healthy, and i can splurge on nice ingredients since i rarely eat takeout. im not cooking crazy health food im cooking stuff that tastes good and is relatively affordable to boot. even when i cook something "rich" i know exactly what went in it. love junk food snacks though, but i try not to demolish a bag of candy or chips while watching netflix.

my biggest weight fluctuation happened in spring of 2018 when I got a hit by a car and had to stop cycling for a bunch of months, but i kept eating (and drinking beer...) like i was still riding 8+ hours a week. im 6'2" and i went from about 185 to probably 220+ lol. i had a huge beard at the time so i looked a bit like fat mac from always sunny.

id never get that skinny again, but i started riding and that summer and without changing my diet or drinking less i went back to around 190 lbs. it would stay that way with some fluctuations until i had a baby last year and also stopped riding leading up to it and after and i went back up to near 220 lbs again, then i quit drinking for 2 months and reduced my beers significantly after that and now im back down to around 200 lbs. im hoping not drinking (as much) and starting up riding again this spring/summer and ill get back down to 190 lbs. welp theres my story.

tl;dr: cook your own food, get lots of exercise, drink less.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's funny you mention fat mac because Rob McElhenney did all of that poo poo on purpose and got super loving ripped. I forgot what he said about it but it was extreme training and probably expensive.

edit: yeah lol

quote:

"Look, it's not that hard. All you need to do is lift weights six days a week, stop drinking alcohol, don't eat anything after 7pm, don't eat any carbs or sugar at all, in fact just don't eat anything you like, get the personal trainer from Magic Mike, sleep nine hours a night, run three miles a day, and have a studio pay for the whole thing over a six to seven-month span. I don't know why everyone's not doing this. It's a super realistic lifestyle and an appropriate body image to compare oneself to," he joked on Instagram.

btw, that is not really "healthy" but just to get a certain physique.

edit 2: oh I guess he points that out in the same article

quote:

While McElhenney admitted that his diet and exercise plan to lose weight for Sunny was anything but sustainable, he said that he came to love his workouts.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 8, 2023

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

back when i used to lift as my primary means of exercise i tried to bulk up and i was eating tubs of ben and jerrys and poo poo but i just put on weight and i didnt get ripped after all

i think that was around the time i started to get deep into cycling and from that point on i couldnt eat enough food

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used Frog Tech.

I had... unpleasant results.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
When I was running up mountains with a backpack full of weights I ate like 6000 calories a day and I lost weight. Then I had spine surgery and now I’m fat as gently caress because my entire body hurts and my stomach doesn’t work right. And I’m a piece of poo poo alcoholic

Moral of the story is exercise more if you want to eat more

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
My actual advice where I'm not a snarky rear end: Don't drink things with calories in them. That's 80% of my 'diet' and that one change adds up over time.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think the Rob MacElhenney thing is unnecessarily discouraging to people. It might be accurate, but the socially responsible thing to do would be to add "These results may be unachievable to most people with a normal life and job, but you can have a large fraction of my results with a small fraction of the effort I put in"

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ha ha I’m 230 an six feet tall.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

feelix posted:

I think the Rob MacElhenney thing is unnecessarily discouraging to people. It might be accurate, but the socially responsible thing to do would be to add "These results may be unachievable to most people with a normal life and job, but you can have a large fraction of my results with a small fraction of the effort I put in"

I don't think it was completely designed to encourage people. Just flat out telling people what it takes to get 3% body fat or whatever. I don't know any of his intentions behind the whole thing but I think his message was more close to "look, you don't have to have an amazing body because it's completely insane to get. This is what rich movie stars can do." I don't think he was creating a health campaign.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My actual advice where I'm not a snarky rear end: Don't drink things with calories in them. That's 80% of my 'diet' and that one change adds up over time.

Yes, I understand the irony/hypocrisy coming from me (I'm not working on weight atm), but I do this for the most part. Minus the beer, when I'm doing ok I mostly drink water (boot camp made me LOVE water) and other calorie free things. Diet soda (rarely), Crystal Lite, stuff like that. If I'm at a restaurant I'll get an unsweetened iced tea with a ton of lemons. If I want something really sweet I'll drink a craft root beer.

I mentioned earlier about my friend who did absolutely nothing but eliminate this 12 cans of soda a day and lost 20lbs.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 8, 2023

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

theres nothing wrong with zevia ok its a perfect sugar drink substitute.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Literally you cannot eat food if you want to be ripped, food is more and more your enemy the skinnier you desire to be, basically regardless of exercise

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My ex-wife was anorexic when she was younger and for snacks had baby carrots and yellow mustard since the calories were so low.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

I don't think it's discouraging. He's an actor and he's paid to do that. He has access to a personal trainer, gym, chef, and copious amounts of HGH. There is a difference between being healthy and looking like Superman.

Actors always seem to leave out the copious amounts of HGH in the press statements though.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My ex-wife was anorexic when she was younger and for snacks had baby carrots and yellow mustard since the calories were so low.

Did you tell her celery had less calories than carrots

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nexous posted:

Did you tell her celery had less calories than carrots

She ate that too but carrots are sweeter.

She showed me her drivers license from before we met and it was..... when I was last with her she was 5' 2" 115 pounds and fit. Maybe up to 125 or so since that fluctuates over the years of course.

There was no way in hell she was above 100lbs in that photo. I felt terrible.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Extra Large Marge posted:

Actors always seem to leave out the copious amounts of HGH in the press statements though.

It's so stupid how coy they play it. Just say you're on gear and your results are unobtainable for the normal person. I don't even know why they bother hiding it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think some people have been open about it. Not sure who. It's not like you have to take a drug test as an actor. Athlete or bodybuilder sure since they want to level the playing field. But Hollywood is just doing it for looks so eh, who cares?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DickParasite posted:

It's so stupid how coy they play it. Just say you're on gear and your results are unobtainable for the normal person. I don't even know why they bother hiding it.

Fans have loving meltdowns when you say that. Thats why they gotta lie and say "I broke my jaw and it healed funny" even though anybody with a working brain knows thats bullshit

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
OPs try having severe ADHD, the combination of medication and not being able to sit still literally ever will help you stay svelte

did I mention the amphetamines yet?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

DickParasite posted:

that runs the risk of people stumbling into class consciousness. can't have that

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Barudak posted:

Fans have loving meltdowns when you say that. Thats why they gotta lie and say "I broke my jaw and it healed funny" even though anybody with a working brain knows thats bullshit

All this time I thought he had plastic surgery with the intent to look more like David Hasselhoff.

Edit:

Many have an ulterior motive to lie about how they get in their shape because a lot are selling supplements, workouts, energy drinks, too.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 9, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I mean if you have tens of thousands of dollars of disposable cash , along with a large amount of free time, and have a doctor willing to prescribe you drugs then you can probably get into shape. However, if you don't have those things why bother.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Many have an ulterior motive to lie about how they get in their shape because a lot are selling supplements, workouts, energy drinks, too.

Chris Hemsworth is building his own mini-fitness empire whilst obviously being juiced to the eyeballs for the Thor movies, especially the most recent one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Deptfordx posted:

Chris Hemsworth is building his own mini-fitness empire whilst obviously being juiced to the eyeballs for the Thor movies, especially the most recent one.

I dunno about that it seems like he's a total health and exercise nut. Like he really loves it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Hollismason posted:

I dunno about that it seems like he's a total health and exercise nut. Like he really loves it.

He really loves it, no doubt, and I’m sure he works incredibly hard and deserves to look like that, but make no mistakes that doesn’t happen without help.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, he totally works out a ton. The Liver King worked out a ton.

But the level of build you see in say 'Thor :Love and Thunder' is not happening without chemical intervention.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Deptfordx posted:

But the level of build you see in say 'Thor :Love and Thunder' is not happening without chemical intervention.

can't keep them on the hampster wheel of consumption if the end goal is obtainable

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Deptfordx posted:

To be fair, they probably enhance a lot of that poo poo digitally now. Subtler things that we probably wouldn't notice as much.

We have the technology!

But I mean yeah, probably.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There's plenty of set pictures you can Google where he's still almost comically jacked.

Honestly you've probably forgotten how huge he got. GIS pictures of him from Love and Thunder and try and convince yourself that's unassisted

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 9, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
if you're playing marvel's thor you better be comic-ally jacked

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Stink Billyums posted:

if you're playing marvel's thor you better be comic-ally jacked

selling fitness products under the pretense that you can get those results without gear is less than necessary, however

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Deptfordx posted:

There's plenty of set pictures you can Google where he's still almost comically jacked.

Honestly you've probably forgotten how huge he got. GIS pictures of him from Love and Thunder and try and convince yourself that's unassisted

I don't doubt you. Hugh Jackman is 54 and is currently getting ripped for Deadpool 3. I follow him on FB and he posted pictures of his meal for the day and it was about 6,000 calories. All labeled.

Also though, the best (almost only) way to get the ripped look (after you bulk) is to completely dehydrate yourself. High school wrestlers have been doing it for generations and the processes have been getting more extreme. MMA fighters have had to pull out of fights because they hosed themselves up so bad during the weight cut.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

its weird thinking of Thor having really tiny shrunken balls, but thats what it takes

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Weird how a good diet and exercise has worked so well for me to this point.

No fads, no bullshit.

Just loving eat better and stay active and unless you have thyroid or other physiological issues the weight will drop.

Cut soda and alcohol and goddamn those lbs will fly right off.

I get the want to be in shape without having to work at it but it's the only way I've ever known to stay in shape.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Beefed Owl posted:

No fads, no bullshit.

Just loving eat better and stay active and unless you have thyroid or other physiological issues the weight will drop.

I get the want to be in shape without having to work at it but it's the only way I've ever known to stay in shape.

What if you really like the alcohol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beefed Owl posted:

No fads, no bullshit.

:thunk:

hmm, could you post the science to back up that radical claim?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

500excf type r posted:

What if you really like the alcohol

drink really expensive alcohol so you can't buy it as much.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Cut out food, just drink and take a multivitamin :cheers:

Ianad this is a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Soylent is nutritionally complete* and good for every day.

*incomplete