Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kanos posted:

:lmao: Holy poo poo, did HBS manage to make another game where "too many save files" fucks with the game in critical ways?

look they aren't named Sensible Schemes

I'm glad this got made but I'm also glad I have a ton else to play right now so they can patch it for a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

(I haven't figure out if Knockdown actually matters yet)

Do Evade stacks carry over into a new turn if they don't get popped? Lateef seems like he'd be incredibly strong if you can find a way to consistently get multiple Evade stacks for his Hit and Run attack.

Knockdown takes a characters entire turn, they have to spend it just standing up and I think you get a massive hit bonus against them as well, I've had points where I'm shooting through cover and still had 100% hit chance against knocked down enemies. When your characters get it, another character can help them up for free if they're in range but I've never seen enemies do that. With Ingrid even just knocking down 2 or 3 big dudes and thinning their health a bit has been pretty useful.

Evade stacks don't carry over I'm pretty sure, he gets a lot of passives that start letting him get them for everything though but they will be capped at a certain point if you want to get the shot with that ability as well. I've got a card on him that makes him inspired and restores 5 health every time an attack misses him.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Taear posted:

I was excited for it but then when I learned there's any stealth element whatsoever I removed it from my wishlist.
I've played all the HBS games but seriously gently caress stealth, I don't have any interest in that

The stealth is basically optional. If you want to just walk up to enemy groups and go directly to turn based combat that is a perfectly workable option. The fights will be a bit harder, but the game will otherwise function the same.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Knockdown takes a characters entire turn, they have to spend it just standing up and I think you get a massive hit bonus against them as well, I've had points where I'm shooting through cover and still had 100% hit chance against knocked down enemies. When your characters get it, another character can help them up for free if they're in range but I've never seen enemies do that. With Ingrid even just knocking down 2 or 3 big dudes and thinning their health a bit has been pretty useful.

Evade stacks don't carry over I'm pretty sure, he gets a lot of passives that start letting him get them for everything though but they will be capped at a certain point if you want to get the shot with that ability as well. I've got a card on him that makes him inspired and restores 5 health every time an attack misses him.

Thanks for the tips, knowing that Ingrid became even better between her ult and kick attack. I got a card that has her regen 15 health on kills since shes my sweeper. I don't know how I'll ever replace her. Lateef feels like maybe he needs just a bit too much work to be good at doing damage, though his ult and Distract abilities are excellent and his free Evades are great.

I tried out Nocturne and hoy boy she looks like she'll be insanely strong once you grab all her abilities. If you can figure out a reliable way to clump enemies together (like Lateefs ult?), you can just nuke an entire group.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Feels like it's vaguely x-com like where the enemy factions have their tracks that progress, you can keep them somewhat a bay in that regard but also you doing milestones in the main mission upgrades them and makes their tougher enemies show up in greater numbers regardless.

I've stolen one of the plot mcguffins from the super capitalist shithead faction dude and that's made everything kick off quite a bit. Started having some pretty tough enemy layouts as a result and multiple enemy factions showing up in one mission. Weirdly feel like via sheer happenstance I've just barely fought the mummy/Indiana Jones villain themed faction so far, just not been in the missions I've been choosing to do very much.

It's been ages since I've had a recruitment mission pop up as a result of sending someone on a search for leads and I've got 7 people now. I'm guessing it's like hard gated that you can't recruit more characters until you progress further into the game. I want to try out the other 4 characters.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 6, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Played the first three missions - then game crashed, realized it didn't autosave, redoing the second mission now. What games doesn't autosave every mission!?

Agreed that the stealth bits are a bit underwhelming/not that fun, but enjoying the turn based stuff quite a bit.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The stealth thing seemed kinda cool at first but once your out of the tutorial phase and you land on a open rooftop with a dozen dudes in gas masks and skeletons just sort of aimlessly wandering in front of you it feels like a real half assed system

KNR
May 3, 2009
The turnbased mode is more fleshed out than the extremely jank stealth (which mostly seems to be there to absolve the devs of any responsibility on how to set up the TB encounters), but it's also not particularly good, falling apart about 5 missions into what currently looks like about a 30 mission campaign. Did 2 of the big heists but don't think I can be bothered to continue.

The game follows the at this point well established tradition of taking the XCOM combat system as a basis, then reducing your squad down to 3-4 extremely op characters and removing any actual expectation of permadeath or losing missions, so you end up with a game where the actual XCOM basis is completely vestigial.

Hit chances basically never matter. Between knockdowns, slows, evades and decoys most enemies don't get to roll to attack, while my medic can do like 10 full heals per mission for the occasional attack that does go through. Whereas your hit chances don't matter because without time limits and the enemies being disabled anyway, there's usually nothing riding on those hits. And, more importantly, with only 3 people you're basically never really making any backup plans for when a shot misses, you just shrug and move on to the next turn.

2 AP per turn is barely a vague suggestion, endgame action economy breaking abilites in XCOM are early passives here. Ingrid is obviously the MVP with 3 knockdown abilities and and free AP on kill (which works on bladestorm kills to give ap for the next turn), but the healer gets +1 AP per target healed and could theoretically stack up to 5 aoe heals (one doesn't heal herself so that would only be +9AP to spend on shooting, 14 on the big 4 person missions, not that I've tried wasting the heals for just ap like this).

Cover is actively a liability, since hit chances usually don't matter but there's a massive flanking crit bonus and no exposed bonus. As you generally want to push up anyway, this makes enemies in cover easier targets than ones out of it.

I stopped getting recruitment missions at 6 characters, but it doesn't really matter since the sp system heavily encourages just maxing out a single set of 3 characters. Injuries might be meant to counterbalance this, but I've incidentally stacked like 15 healing supplies of which I've used 1, and I've had exactly 2 stress breaks, of which one was just free 256 ink (flagellant on Lateef), though the other one did lead to the only difficult mission since the start of the game (half speed on Ingrid).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Didn't get to play too much this weekend but I am about to do my first Heist but I'm a bit unclear on what it will do. Will Marteau just stop being a factor after I do it or will he stick around?

Also is Jiang good? I've had him on the map for a while.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Celestine is honestly the most broken character I've seen in these style of games once you've pumped some investment in to her. Her top ability removes the cap on her gamble ability, and between that and her stress healing for applying debuffs, attacking poisoned enemies and critting I've had her take upwards of 20 actions in a single turn. And to top it all off her Signature converts an enemy (for two rounds at higher levels), converting a beefy enemy in the middle of the encounter will often have most enemies focus on them instead of you. It also counts as a debuff for more stress healing and is refreshed when she instant-kills a stress broken enemy, which she can easily trigger with her curse. By the late game she was killing or converting more than half of an encounter round one each time, as well as having the converts tank all the damage. It almost made me feel bad.

MorphineMike fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 9, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorphineMike posted:

Celestine is honestly the most broken character I've seen in these style of games once you've pumped some investment in to her. Her top ability removes the cap on her gamble ability, and between that and her stress healing for applying debuffs, attacking poisoned enemies and critting I've had her take upwards of 20 actions in a single turn. And to top it all off her Signature converts an enemy (for two rounds at higher levels), converting a beefy enemy in the middle of the encounter will often have most enemies focus on them instead of you. It also counts as a debuff for more stress healing and is refreshed when she instant-kills a stress broken enemy, which she can easily trigger with her curse. By the late game she was killing or converting more than half of an encounter round one each time, as well as having the converts tank all the damage. It almost made me feel bad.

That sounds pretty cool, I loaded up a new game and started with the 4 agents I haven't recruited yet in my main game just to check out their skill trees and she was the one that looked a bit underwhelming just eyeballing it. Glad to know that's not the case. I'm still wondering when I'll be offered another agent in my actual game though, I got Fedir ages ago, like, week 12 or 13 or so I think, I've done a heist since then and am about to do another.

I'm still enjoying the game but there is some definite jank with the stealth mechanics or just unfun potential enemy layouts, when those combine and you just can't whittle down the enemies because there's like 5 ghosts or the cthulhu monsters on the outskirts and all the ko'able enemies are on the inside it's a bit annoying. Then you get discovered and it's like, 15 enemies plus reinforcements incoming, feels like you should be able to sabotage the towers if you sneak up to them, as a reward for doing that at least.

I'd say if anyone is reading the thread and is on the fence, check it out on gamepass or wait for a sale, it's good as it is now but does feel like one of those games that'll get some QoL patches over time and become a much better game in a few months. As long as HBS doesn't get shut down, as so many studios have.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 10, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd say if anyone is reading the thread and is on the fence, check it out on gamepass or wait for a sale, it's good as it is now but does feel like one of those games that'll get some QoL patches over time and become a much better game in a few months. As long as HBS doesn't get shut down, as so many studios have.

They're actually owned by Paradox so they probably have less chance of that than others

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I really want to like this game as I like the style and music but man it’s not fun to play at all. Hope they can put some polish on it as I think you could get the numbers to be more fun but I dunno.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm starting to feel the power creep, there are suddenly a lot more enemies with a lot more health. Lateef can reliably explode one enemy immediately with his running shot + forced crit card but after that, it's becoming much more of a protracted slog.

I really wish Agent Recruitment showed up more. I haven't seen one in like 12 missions and I could really do with someone with good AOE damage. I'm too stubborn to start using Eddie at this point.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

I'm starting to feel the power creep, there are suddenly a lot more enemies with a lot more health. Lateef can reliably explode one enemy immediately with his running shot + forced crit card but after that, it's becoming much more of a protracted slog.

I really wish Agent Recruitment showed up more. I haven't seen one in like 12 missions and I could really do with someone with good AOE damage. I'm too stubborn to start using Eddie at this point.

I didn't get anyone for ages, I had 7 agents (including the dlc one who I assume is always available as soon as you start the game pretty much) when I did my first heist and quite a few missions afterwards putting out fires without seeing any opportunities to search for people. Did my second heist today and then got 3 recruitment mission searches basically one after another, so now I'm just missing two of the agents, it seems pretty hard gated to game progress. No idea what happens after you do the heists and get the keystones, whether that's right to the endgame or another set of objectives opens up. Kinda feels like the game will run out of steam if the latter is the case, unless they have a boatload of new environments up their sleeve.

As for AOE, Fedir is probably the best for that I've got so far so recruit him if you get a chance, shotgun that hits everything in a cone guaranteed, I put a reloader on him so it has a 33% chance per hit to reload a shot back in and then an accessory that gives it a 50% chance to shock every enemy it hits. Some melee special stuff that heals him and then his signature is picking up an enemy and throwing them, knocks down everything around where they land. He gets enraged when he takes damage and becomes tankier and deals more damage out as well.

Eddie is alright for crowds as well, shoots lots of little instances of damage but clears stuff out pretty well once you get his signature powered up. I guess like, anyone can kinda do it if you stuff them full of grenades or firebombs of the level 2 variety, those just coat a huge area in fire and enemies will have to either go through it or go slowly around it. I also just got Judith, the other brawler type, she seems more tanky than damagey though.

Lateef has fallen off incredibly hard for me, whenever I bring him I always end up thinking Jianyi would be a equally as good a sneaky type in the stealth bits + a much better combatant and he or any other character would bring more to the team. Looking at the last few skills I haven't got for him and I don't think they'll transform him either, he needs more support than anyone else and could do with more ways to get evade AND then still do something imo, probably could have done with a skill like the melee characters have that gave him extra AP in certain conditions or something like the gunslingers have in X-Com, a thing that lets him shoot back passively a couple times a turn.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 11, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I didn't get anyone for ages, I had 7 agents (including the dlc one who I assume is always available as soon as you start the game pretty much) when I did my first heist and quite a few missions afterwards putting out fires without seeing any opportunities to search for people. Did my second heist today and then got 3 recruitment mission searches basically one after another, so now I'm just missing two of the agents, it seems pretty hard gated to game progress. No idea what happens after you do the heists and get the keystones, whether that's right to the endgame or another set of objectives opens up. Kinda feels like the game will run out of steam if the latter is the case, unless they have a boatload of new environments up their sleeve.

As for AOE, Fedir is probably the best for that I've got so far so recruit him if you get a chance, shotgun that hits everything in a cone guaranteed, I put a reloader on him so it has a 33% chance per hit to reload a shot back in and then an accessory that gives it a 50% chance to shock every enemy it hits. Some melee special stuff that heals him and then his signature is picking up an enemy and throwing them, knocks down everything around where they land. He gets enraged when he takes damage and becomes tankier and deals more damage out as well.

Eddie is alright for crowds as well, shoots lots of little instances of damage but clears stuff out pretty well once you get his signature powered up. I guess like, anyone can kinda do it if you stuff them full of grenades or firebombs of the level 2 variety, those just coat a huge area in fire and enemies will have to either go through it or go slowly around it. I also just got Judith, the other brawler type, she seems more tanky than damagey though.

Lateef has fallen off incredibly hard for me, whenever I bring him I always end up thinking Jianyi would be a equally as good a sneaky type in the stealth bits + a much better combatant and he or any other character would bring more to the team. Looking at the last few skills I haven't got for him and I don't think they'll transform him either, he needs more support than anyone else and could do with more ways to get evade AND then still do something imo, probably could have done with a skill like the melee characters have that gave him extra AP in certain conditions or something like the gunslingers have in X-Com, a thing that lets him shoot back passively a couple times a turn.

That's a bit frustrating to hear but thanks for letting me know. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and grab Jianyi. I'd prefer Celestine or the sniper but I don't know about waiting that long.

I grabbed Judith for the first heist and she's pretty good in terms of defenses and easily applying knockdown but I'm not sure I'd ever actually take her over Ingrid. Well, I actually did try taking her over Ingrid earlier and got destroyed. I think a problem in this game is that a lot of the AOE's are quite small and enemies tend to spread out a lot so they aren't actually as good as they look. I thought her sticky-bomb into shield bash combo would be good, and it does do strong damage but in practice the bombs AOE is so small that it's really hard to hit many people.

I think you've hit it on the head with Lateef. I've been using the accessory that refunds AP when using buffs to spam smoke grenades but that just helps power up his running shot, the cooldown is long enough that you can't use it over and over and its all he has for damage. That might change once he gets -cooldown when evading attacks though, but even then just one big attack isn't that great.

Nocturne also kind of fell off. I figured out you can double her attack damage by giving her the +ammo mod so she's always overwatching and maybe she'd be better just relying on that and Stasis instead of how I've been trying to use her, which is trying to set up big Ult combo's and just getting her killed because enemy health got big enough to survive it and murder her.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I gave this a shot for the first two missions but even overwriting a save file was painful and also this game has no excuse for looking like it does (which is a perfectly fine art style) but making my aging midrange computer chug.

Also the stealth bits feel real bad with the lack of tooltips. If I give an order but then switch to another character, the first character just stops their movement dead! Baffling design decision.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

According to an unverifiable forums post, most of the dev staff were already let go in July. It's pretty clear that the game will be left to wither as a tax write off.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I heard absolutely nothing about this game until seeing it on Steam like the day before launch. I think this game being a write off seems accurate. There appeared to be almost zero marketing for it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Taear posted:

They're actually owned by Paradox so they probably have less chance of that than others

I was going to quote this and say "in my experience this provides very little protection" and then the above post happened. Bummer, obviously this game is getting a mixed reception at best but sounds like the writing was on the wall 3 or 4 months back so even if it had come out and been a surprise hit, they'd have been hosed anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Popete posted:

I heard absolutely nothing about this game until seeing it on Steam like the day before launch. I think this game being a write off seems accurate. There appeared to be almost zero marketing for it.

All the marketing I saw was their YouTube channel - which I would not have seen if I didn't already follow HBS' Twitter - and like one semi-big XCOM YouTuber who they got to do tactics stuff doing a Let's Play.

Why bounce 80% of your studio?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Popete posted:

I think it popped up once or twice at various game reveal shows, but that's about it, and all the prerelease gameplay material seems to have gotten little if any word of mouth going. Assuming that post is accurate, I guess Paradox assumed they had a turkey on their hands and didn't bother trying to recoup their losses beyond releasing it and hoping for the best.

I'm honestly astonished it cost nearly $30 million to make. I know modern gamedev with full voice acting and the like is expensive, but everything about it reads far more like a particularly ambitious Kickstarter title and not a midshelf release with the attendant purse to spend.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yep here's our confirmation
I saw a reasonable amount of publicity but I do follow a lot of Paradox accounts on Twitter and etc

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seems kind of wild a game company can publicly call out their game as a big disappointment like a week after it's released signalling it's probably not going to get much improvement going forward.

Stinks for the devs I imagine.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Taear posted:

I saw some resetera posts from devs saying 80% of the studio was laid off i njuyl, so it may as well have happened.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

George Sex - REAL posted:

What a shame. Really enjoyed the Shadowrun/Battletech games. I hope HBS survives to return to those IPs

drat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

The stealth is basically optional. If you want to just walk up to enemy groups and go directly to turn based combat that is a perfectly workable option. The fights will be a bit harder, but the game will otherwise function the same.

This is pretty much what I do. Occasionally I'll charge Ingrid through a bunch of people so she starts closer to the action, but otherwise it's more hassle than it's worth.

MorphineMike posted:

To be honest this kind of broken styuff is what I like about the game. Rocking Ingrid and Celestine and just mowing through armies by chaining status effects and passives feels great, like there are just lots of little puzzles for me to solve if I can just figure out the right order to do things.

Popete posted:

Seems kind of wild a game company can publicly call out their game as a big disappointment like a week after it's released signalling it's probably not going to get much improvement going forward.

Stinks for the devs I imagine.

They had no choice, they're publically traded and they need to report large changes to their earnings/profits to investors. But yeah, it's pretty lovely for the HBS guys right now, I'm afraid.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, the report to investors of "we now don't think this is going to sell as well as thought" was mandatory. I think a lot of the coverage of that report has gone a lot farther than that though - the RPS report spun "the game is fun with many strengths but the commercial reception has been weak, which is a big disappointment" into a way more inflammatory headline, which I guess is par for the course but still sucks.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 12, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Kind of seems like Paradox is a kiss of death to work for.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jeez, just did a mission that ended in utter failure because one of my team was one square short of escaping and unless I was missing something, there's no way for two of your squad to escape when the other one is still alive, so they all got taken down and lost (apparently you can rescue them later but where I'm at, that ain't happening I think). It sucks you can't save mid fight, the way the mission worked it was basically an entire long running battle, apparently it took me two hours judging by the time on my save just before I kicked off the fight, I probably could have finangled my way out of it with a save on the last third of it but nope, gotta do the entire mission again.

It makes sense knowing what we know about a large amount of the dev team being let go now but you can tell there wasn't that late in development balance/QoL pass on some stuff, this mission above was incredibly overtuned, it felt balanced for 4 agents with the amount of reinforcements coming in, I think there's some agent setups where it'd be straight up impossible with the amount of damage you need to be dealing or crowd control you need to be dishing out.

Also for anyone wondering, if one of the factions reaches the end of their track, they attempt to enter the tower and you get a last stand mission with 4 agents to try and stop them, if you do it knocks them back down to the last breakpoint, apparently it gets harder and harder each time. That popped up as a result of my failure, was wondering what happened. No idea what the mission entails though cause I reloaded rather than going into it with my 3 best agents gone.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Agreed on the end game balance, you’re constantly outnumbered 4 to 1 and some enemies have so much health you just can’t clear them before even more turn up. I’ve no idea how I’d manage without Celestine, she’s broken strong but the game seems to expect you to have someone like her to survive.

Marteau is a nightmare too, the other scions you can focus down, but this guy constantly summons adds, teleports around and actually disappears and comes back with full health and reinforcements when he takes enough damage. He is fun to fight when you’re prepared for him, but he’s a big difficulty spike.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Marteau is a nightmare too, the other scions you can focus down, but this guy constantly summons adds, teleports around and actually disappears and comes back with full health and reinforcements when he takes enough damage. He is fun to fight when you’re prepared for him, but he’s a big difficulty spike.

Ah, someone else pretty far into the game, I'm curious, which faction is the most dominant/dangerous for you? For me, I did the Marteau heist first, he didn't show up in that at all and then I've only seen him active in a couple missions and they're the furthest from "winning" the game for me, I think because I smashed them pretty early, I definitely fought them the most in the early game.

I did the Strum heist second, that scion showed up in that mission and I've only fought him once outside of that, feel like I've barely fought that faction at all really.

Then yesterday I did the Nicastro heist and the scion showed up three times in that heist alone, I was wondering if those are scripted and would always be the same or whether it's because I did them in that order, with Nicastro last? I've fought her outside that heist fuckloads as well, that faction has kinda slipped into the dominant position for me because I hosed with them the least in the early game I think?

So yeah, initial question, I'm wondering how varied it can be, if the heists play out differently if you do them in a different order, etc? I kinda want to replay the game at some point, probably not soon since there's some big games coming out but I do wanna try out Celestine, Judith, the sniper lady I just got in this game but will probably barely use, etc and it'd be cool if I could smash Nicastro down enough to have the other two be more of a thing. Would mean fighting them a lot which I'll have spent this endgame doing unfortunately.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Ah, someone else pretty far into the game, I'm curious, which faction is the most dominant/dangerous for you? For me, I did the Marteau heist first, he didn't show up in that at all and then I've only seen him active in a couple missions and they're the furthest from "winning" the game for me, I think because I smashed them pretty early, I definitely fought them the most in the early game.

I did the Strum heist second, that scion showed up in that mission and I've only fought him once outside of that, feel like I've barely fought that faction at all really.

Then yesterday I did the Nicastro heist and the scion showed up three times in that heist alone, I was wondering if those are scripted and would always be the same or whether it's because I did them in that order, with Nicastro last? I've fought her outside that heist fuckloads as well, that faction has kinda slipped into the dominant position for me because I hosed with them the least in the early game I think?

So yeah, initial question, I'm wondering how varied it can be, if the heists play out differently if you do them in a different order, etc? I kinda want to replay the game at some point, probably not soon since there's some big games coming out but I do wanna try out Celestine, Judith, the sniper lady I just got in this game but will probably barely use, etc and it'd be cool if I could smash Nicastro down enough to have the other two be more of a thing. Would mean fighting them a lot which I'll have spent this endgame doing unfortunately.

Just finished the game, I got the same experience as you. I basically only fought Marteau at the start of the game to the point I thought the game was bugged, then mainly Strum, and finally Nicastro sprinted into the lead right at the end of the game. My final team was Ingrid, Ana Sofia, Celestine and Nocturne. Girl Squad 4 lyfe! In the final mission Nocturne sacrificed herself because, as she says, she's the best choice since she's already dead. She got to kill Marteau first though, "Stay dead" was a cool line. Nicastro was a really annoying final boss because her move of turning off your vision basically stops you from doing anything for 2 turns. I was super glad I had Ana Sofia to heal through it while running away.

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good game. The agents are all varied and interesting to use, the Undrawn Hand allows for some additional customization, and theres a lot of tactical flexibility to the combat.

Ingrid was the clear MVP all game. I got lucky getting her a card that gives her health back on kills, so I gave her the +health suit and she was incredibly sturdy, could easily cause knockdown and killed more than the rest of the team combined.

Lateef fell off as discussed. He can't game the action economy, needs to take too many actions to do anything, his ult dies too fast in the endgame and he doesn't do enough damage. He is unfortunately merely decent in a line up of all-stars.

Eddie is actually probably really strong I just ignored him. I would be interested in doing a run with him and the Sniper. Maybe paired with Judith with the card that inflicts Marked to everything that attacks her.

Ana Sofia is awesome. When you get the two abilities that give +AP when healing she starts taking a ton of actions, which also reduce her cooldowns, letting her give out more AP and resetting other peoples cooldowns and regaining ults. Her basic attacks also have a lot of effects, as well as hitting twice so she stacks extra +stress for Celestine.

I got Celestine about 6 missions from the end of the game and she was still overpowered as gently caress. As everyone has said, she's just insanely strong. Her ult is better at mitigating damage than Lateefs because everyone focuses on the possessed enemy, they do a lot of damage and she can regain it very easily which is insanely strong. Stress-killing enemies is actually fairly easy with her and her fully upgraded throwing knife does incredible damage, is much easier to power up and can easily get its cooldown reset. She's a clear upgrade to Lateef in every respect.

Nocturne got a lot better when I stopped obsessing over her ult and upgraded her gun to do two shots, so she always overwatches at the end of her turn. She could do about 150 damage with her Charged + Veil combo, then another 75 from overwatch. That's nothing to sneeze at. Stasis is also just insanely strong, especially when I took her with Celestine so the two biggest enemies were automatically taken out at the start of every fight.

Judith is actually really good, but you do need to fully invest in her because if she ever isn't benefitting from her abilities she's probably dead and getting the +15 armor with her capstone is critical for that. But when she gets 30-70 armor and is in her half-damage field she's functionally unkillable. Very useful as the 4th slot on the critical missions imo.

I picked up the Alexandrite right before the final mission and she seems basically designed to pair with Celestine. I imagine they're probably the strongest combo in the game together.

I would definitely be interested in a sequel and I did see a hint at one towards the end in a letter to Locke about some guy finding Atlantis, making it clear its a bad idea.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 15, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Nicastro, I think? Those floating squid things are such a pain the rear end, especially when there's a few of them. They're hard to kill due to splitting up and the aoe slow/explosion is really disruptive too. They do have one weakness if you knock them down, then they won't split up when they take damage, but if you don't have Ingrid (always have Ingrid) that's probably not that useful.

Nephthys posted:

Eddie is actually probably really strong I just ignored him. I would be interested in doing a run with him and the Sniper. Maybe paired with Judith with the card that inflicts Marked to everything that attacks her.

I rolled with him the whole game, I managed to get him to an okay point, but it took a lot of effort:

- You need his upgraded weapon and the "+1AP on crit" otherwise the 2AP per turn really hold him back. Even then it's unreliable as hell, you really need to spam Light Em Up to have a chance of getting anything
- There's an accessory that gives a 35% chance to get a bullet per shot. Combined with his passive, that means he NEVER reloads.
- Most of the ranged unit upgrades trigger off of manually reloading your gun, whcih Eddie never does, which sort of sucks

He's defenitely very useful though, especially against enemies who swarm weak units like Marteau, the squid things and summoners. He also synergizes well with Purnima since they both rely on the Marked status.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 16, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It doesn't make a huge difference but those squid things, when they split up, you can tell which one is the real one cause only the real one shows the hit % chance in the air next to the actual unit when you cycle through them whereas they all show it in the hit chance UI popup. Kinda trivialises them but yeah the aoe slow thing is a pain, especially if two of them layer it next to each other and then your whole turn is moving out of it.

Interesting that we've all had Nicastro push forward then, I wonder if they get a thumb on the scale to make them the main threat or whether it's truly random and just a coincidence we've all had them happen to be the main antagonist faction? I think their units are the nastiest to fight even early on and it only becomes more so as they hit their breakpoints so it kinda makes sense they feel like the biggest threat in the actual tactical combat part but I'm hoping there is some element of randomness to the campaign layer and any of the factions can pull ahead and become the main one you fight. I am very curious if the heists do vary based on order as well.

As for agents, I stopped using Ingrid quite so much after the first heist, it was starting to get a little boring, I started alternating between her and Fedir who did just as well really, the shotgun being a guaranteed aoe hit that applied any of the debuffs from the accessories I have was pretty great.

Eddie is probably one of my MVPs, I found he did fine without a lot of effort but once I did get the upgraded guns that obviously did skyrocket him yeah. I have an accessory that's + Crit chance and +60% crit damage as well so he's just regularly doing 90 damage to many enemies per action, setting them up for easy finishes for any other character if I have ones who get ap for kills or whatever, or the opposite, he can finish off many, many enemies in one action. I used Jianyi quite a lot as well, he gets so many actions back with the passive +AP chance on melee upgrade you get and then his own +ap on crit passive.

The only one I haven't recruited is Celestine, I will try, just need a spare moment to go do her recruitment mission which only popped up the mission prior. I haven't used Nocturne or Judith at all in actual missions either and Ana Sofia didn't get much use after the early game just because I always used Eddie or Alexandrite after I got her. Got Purmina just a few missions ago, pumped her up cause I had a decent amount of skill points going and she seems pretty decent. I think if I do replay, I'll start with Judith, Ana Sofia, Purmina and Celestine and then immediately recruit Nocturne since her mission seems to be guaranteed as she's DLC, then make that my core squad since they're all the ones I barely used this time. If Nicastro is always gonna be the main threat that'd probably kill my interest in a replay though so I will wait to see if that's the case.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I really really wanted to try a Celestine/Alexandrite combo, but she never showed up.

From what I can tell, the game only allows you to have so many "optional" missions on the board at once, and I filled the map with Keystone and special sabotage missions kind of early which stopped recruitment missions from spawning. By the time I figured out what happened I was so close to the end that it didn't matter a whole bunch.

I think it's possible to diectly slect who you start with in the game setup, so if i start a new game I'll see if I can do a run without my overwhelmnig celestine addiction.

thebardyspoon posted:

Interesting that we've all had Nicastro push forward then, I wonder if they get a thumb on the scale to make them the main threat or whether it's truly random and just a coincidence we've all had them happen to be the main antagonist faction? I think their units are the nastiest to fight even early on and it only becomes more so as they hit their breakpoints so it kinda makes sense they feel like the biggest threat in the actual tactical combat part but I'm hoping there is some element of randomness to the campaign layer and any of the factions can pull ahead and become the main one you fight. I am very curious if the heists do vary based on order as well.

I just think Nicastro is hardest, I think my heist order was Marteau (which nearly blew up my XBox), Nicastro, Strum. One thing that makes Nicastro easier on the world map is that there's a lot of room between her progress breakpoints, so it's easier to keep knocking her back and stop her getting to the next step. Strum and Marteu have so many breakpoints that by the end of the game, I'd was forced to let them to the brink of winning.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...w-opportunities

:unsmith:

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I hope they can recover after this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe for the best? Kinda feels like HBS got the short end of the stick here but we really don't know the details. BATTLETECH is really good so I hope this isn't the end for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just started playing this game on game pass and it's really fun so far. Can someone tell me what exactly the various towers "activating their defenses" actually does? I've had to let the timer expire a few times and it's unclear to me what it actually changes.