Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I played this for a few hours last night with some buddies of mine and general impressions are:

Good:
- Gunplay is generally solid.
- Novel gadgets and barrels around the maps make the gameplay really fun.
- Levels design is unique from other BR games out there.
- No microtransactions (yet) and relatively easy to get new cosmetics for your contestants.
- Cash grab mode is fun and the tournament mode is great if you want to be super sweaty.

Bad:
- Movement is super clunky and vaulting is janky at times. With low grav it seemed like there was serious latency issues and I was 'sticking' to the ground.
- Light class is broken due to cloak ability and one-hit melee kills from behind. The shimmer when a player is cloaked needs to be significantly improved, along with sound/footsteps.
- Having to run a pure explosive build as a heavy with no sidearm makes some weapons completely unviable. Loadouts need a rework.
- Monaco has super tight residential buildings that just turn into a clusterfuck and the cash deposits become unplayable if a building totally collapses.
- Some areas of Seoul need ziplines for more vertical mobility.
- Out of all the games I played last night there was only one obvious exploit/cheat/glitch where a guy was running around invisible with a knife indefinitely and racked up 24 kills.

I give the devs credit for doing something totally new in the BR space but I don't see this gaining traction unless they fix the movement issues.

Triggs fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 13, 2023

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
If you have a code the devs will give you two extra codes for your buds so you don't have to play with randoms

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It still exists https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23931783/the-finals-open-beta-release-date-ps5-xbox-pc

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

open beta starts today and runs to the 5th

looks fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_HX5JyT18o

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Is there a discord for finding a group to play with in the Open Beta?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is really really fun

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I like the idea of this game but it feels really floaty, and can enemies clip through you? I had a dude get all up in my face swinging a hammer and then like, he was in me and I was just sort of confused.

edit: I like the fashion in this game

edit2: I think Bank It is much more fun than Cash Out.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 28, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This game is cool and stylish but alas I am terrible at any sort of shooty games and keep dying before i can do anything neat stunts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hmm mildly annoying you can't try out guns in the pratice range to figure out what you want to unlock first.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Am I the only one getting all three of the performance indicator warnings? Is the game just not optimized yet or do I have to have some wired connection?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I think you need a pretty strong and consistent internet connection. All of the building destruction and physics stuff is server-side/cloud based.

I can't get on at all due to some dumb error from being in the closed beta. I just get shuffled back and forth between the settings and opening character select screen over and over. You can supposedly unlink your account and re-link to fix it, but then you lose all prior progress and items, as well as future Twitch capability. So basically gently caress that.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Trying to play heavy in Bank It kinda sucks. I think mobility is mostly king in that game mode. Playing heavy in the quick cash mode does seem useful cause you don't need to be zipping all over the place all the time.

Other than that it's been pretty fun so far

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Trying to play heavy in Bank It kinda sucks. I think mobility is mostly king in that game mode. Playing heavy in the quick cash mode does seem useful cause you don't need to be zipping all over the place all the time.

Other than that it's been pretty fun so far

I'd say for Bank It, go Medium with the Medic stuff or Light with SMGs/Melee. I remember having a Light partner in Bank It once. They opted for solely killing with the sniper as far from any vaults as possible.

We wound up dead last. Don't snipe in Bank It.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

widespread posted:

Don't snipe

ftfy

Game is fun, it's nice to play something akin to a BR without 30 minutes of dicking around looting. But I think they should make Bank it 6v6 just to have experiences in the game that aren't 3v3x

Also, I wish that Breaching Charge / Defibs / RPG were just class items that didn't take a slot since they feel basically mandatory.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It turns out my issues with "aiming" and "skill" are fixed by just running up to people and hitting them with melee weapons

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
alert, alert, multiple free halloween clothing packs have dropped in the store. you can give your people witch hats.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I'm really digging this game, bounty hunt from Titanfall 2 and plunder from warzone are my favourite game modes. A lot of people don't seem to grasp the objectives and just want to DM but when you've got a good team it really gels.

Going to try and get my pals into it.

The starting weapons are god awful though, as soon as I got the FCAR with gas mine sonar and defib omg it all just clicked.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kaveman posted:

The starting weapons are god awful though

Sledgehammer would like to talk to you

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
This game is extremely fun and I hope it gets traction.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
It’s been wicked popular online, I think it’s biggest risk is getting wicked sweaty too fast for it’s fan base.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Bank It is a pretty good for a more casual game mode, I feel like. Between the added chaos of a 4th team and the rewards scaling up over time, it never feels like you're completely out of the game (unless the matchmaking puts you against a full stack who knows what they're doing :v:)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Really fun to loose a game when you bank likr 32k and your two pubbies do nothing

Light class so far is my fave. Here is my tip: get the stun gun. It all but guarantees a kill on a single target; slows them down to a crawl and makes them almost unable to turn. Two blasts with the shotgun or a backstab and the job is done.

e: Also I made a discord for goon finals if you are interested.
If there is enough attention and stuff I'll do the whole goon auth thing too.

https://discord.gg/NePGR3Rcjh

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 1, 2023

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Light class with the sword is so fun, especially when you get the skin that turns it into a stick

Fried Watermelon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 1, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It feels bad when people just wait outside the bank for like 90% of it's progress and then swoop in at last moment and take it and even though you had possession of it for 99% of the time you ultimately get nothing...

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Yeah me and the two dudes I’ve been playing with have adopted a strat where we unlock the vault, shove it in the cashout box and then immediately just leave and go contest the other cashout. Either steal it or teamwipe then come back to the first one to retake as it’s finishing (or teamwipe again).

High risk/reward but more fun than sitting there waiting just to have it stolen at the last second

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

That said, I opt to plant mines or flashbang the point. Good luck stealing when the gas hits.

But then again, last night I saw more shields/turrets/loving sonar nades in the matches. I think people got stuff unlocked by now.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is there a goon discord or anything? Game is really fun but much better with three chill dudes

Edit: If not I might make one

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kwolok posted:

It feels bad when people just wait outside the bank for like 90% of it's progress and then swoop in at last moment and take it and even though you had possession of it for 99% of the time you ultimately get nothing...

If you're letting them sit outside that's on you. Game really emphasizes keeping the other teams off balance.

If they're waiting that long to go for it you only have to keep them off for like 20 seconds.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

If you're letting them sit outside that's on you. Game really emphasizes keeping the other teams off balance.

If they're waiting that long to go for it you only have to keep them off for like 20 seconds.

Leaving your cashout to go hunt other teams is just asking for it to be taken out from under you.

As it stands holding the cashout point lets you play defensively which generally gives you an advantage. The problem is you can hold it from the very beginning, win 6 whole teamfights, lose the the 7th at the very end and earn virtually nothing. That feels very lovely when it happens.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Well if you won 6 team fights they didn't sit outside waiting till the last second to cap, now did they?

Like, you got a bunch of good fights and came out on top 6/7 times. poo poo happens, and cashout's being winner take all IS the comeback mechanic.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

Well if you won 6 team fights they didn't sit outside waiting till the last second to cap, now did they?

Like, you got a bunch of good fights and came out on top 6/7 times. poo poo happens, and cashout's being winner take all IS the comeback mechanic.

No one is saying cashouts shouldn't be valuable. But maybe 20% of the cash out's value should be doled out to the team holding the cashout across the total duration. Cashouts would still be the absolute prize above all else, but if you did manage to get, as you put it "6 good fights" then you also will walk away with 20% of the cash out value. You still lose but its something to maybe give you an edge going into the next cashouts. And cashouts can still act as a "comeback mechanic"

You already get money for kills, opening a vault and beginning a cashout, so why not a paltry sum given our in regular intervals to the holding team?

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 2, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I think the way it is in quick cash isn't completely ideal but its also supposed to be pretty simple to understand. Tournaments are the 'real game', and the dynamics of cashout fights in tournaments are a lot different and more interesting. Getting wiped loses you 30% of your cash, and you get small amounts of cash for even the little victories like kills, opening vaults, and running the cash. So both fighting and objectives is more dangerous and more impactful.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 2, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Game is fun. It gives me Brink vibes which was also fun but so so so shortlived

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 3, 2023

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

There is a reason you score for doing things and not just holding the ball in most sports.

The only places where getting bonus cash for time held would effect the outcome are extremely closely fought games where you want the winner to be the one that actually won the primary objective(s).

IE: the current scoring system Erring on the side of the clutch steal instead of whoever got an early advantage and lost it is better because it is more interesting and more dynamic.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 3, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

There is a reason you score for doing things and not just holding the ball in most sports.

The only places where getting bonus cash for time held would effect the outcome are extremely closely fought games where you want the winner to be the one that actually won the primary objective(s).

IE: the current scoring system Erring on the side of the clutch steal instead of whoever got an early advantage and lost it is better because it is more interesting and more dynamic.

Again there isn't a soul alive who is asking for the payout at the end to be made insignificant, but the game already rewards players for beginning the vault, and inserting the vault into the cashout, so it's peculiar it also doesn't reward players for holding the cashout in possession, something that is arguably harder than both of those other mentioned actions. A paltry sum would barely change the dynamic of the game but it would make losing the cashout after holding it for 99% sting a little less.

And this is an incredibly common complaint. I'd bet my life they will add a small bonus to holding possession of the cashout, because it simply feels so incredibly bad when you do lose it after holding it for 99%.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
What are your thoughts on weapon balance? I played a few rounds as the medium and the AK seemed to win most my fights, there were a few guns that seemed completely outclassed every time

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

FastestGunAlive posted:

What are your thoughts on weapon balance? I played a few rounds as the medium and the AK seemed to win most my fights, there were a few guns that seemed completely outclassed every time

Yes the AK is incredibly strong. I am not sure I would call it OP. The only OP gun in the game currently is the silenced pistol on the light and it won't be too hard to bring that in line.

The flame thrower on the heavy is problematic because when paired with a mesh shield, its just obnoxious to play against. That plus how much it fucks up visibility makes it sort of un fun to play against.

The sniper is worthless and it rules, more games should have snipers that suck rear end. I hope they never buff it. Its fine as it is, but it will never be top tier and thats a good thing.

Overall weapon balance is, OK. Due to the nature of infinite ammo and how health/regen works, weapons with the most kill potential per single magazine will always be quite strong.

Oh and don't sleep on the knife with cloak.

Oh and they need to fix how recoil/iron sights work. THat is incredibly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
flamethrower just needs the visibility turn down, it should be annoying to play against its a flamethrower.