Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I use nothing but the China Lake tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

flamethrower just needs the visibility turn down, it should be annoying to play against its a flamethrower.

Yeah the question is, what is the counterplay to flamethrower + mesh shield?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This game has some absolutely amazing moments where you clinch victory at the literal last second.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

George H.W. oval office posted:

This game has some absolutely amazing moments where you clinch victory at the literal last second.

Its honestly one of the most swing-y games I've ever played and its great.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Yeah the question is, what is the counterplay to flamethrower + mesh shield?

Maybe glitch grenades/mines? Haven't unlocked them yet to test

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
They are decent counters but the problem is it relies on you having those and you can't counter pick items mid game.

So that combo is incredibly incredibly effective in almost every cash out point and the only counterplay is to constantly waste slots on equipment that is really only useful against a small handful of comps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sniper rifle seems really useless with the destructible environments and how aks/pistols dont have much bullet falloff either. you can countersnipe with your ak, or just use an rpg or c4 to blow up their perch. itd be one thing if snipers could bring a sidearm, but as is theyre basically screwed.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

the sniper rifle seems really useless with the destructible environments and how aks/pistols dont have much bullet falloff either. you can countersnipe with your ak, or just use an rpg or c4 to blow up their perch. itd be one thing if snipers could bring a sidearm, but as is theyre basically screwed.

Good. Snipers suck in most games and I'm glad they're trash here. I'd way way way prefer they be undertuned than too strong.

Bear in mind the game is hitscan so the snipers are super easy to use so it's important they don't ohk anything but light to the head.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The worst part of queueing with 2 is invariably getting matched with someone playing a light sniper or melee that has the worst game sense or aim you've ever seen.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

The worst part of queueing with 2 is invariably getting matched with someone playing a light sniper or melee that has the worst game sense or aim you've ever seen.

Hey, I'm not that bad...

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Game is fun as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kwolok posted:

They are decent counters but the problem is it relies on you having those and you can't counter pick items mid game.

So that combo is incredibly incredibly effective in almost every cash out point and the only counterplay is to constantly waste slots on equipment that is really only useful against a small handful of comps.

Yeah you can, when you die you can press J to swap out items. You have a finite amount of items you can keep on standby but more than enough slots imo

E: also glitch is strong against any character with limited mobility, so most heavies and a lot of mediums. It's hardly esoteric

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

I played a match of Bank It on Monaco against a team that would have a sniper pick off people in transit and a pair of lights with grapple to yoink the coins. Hard to say if that was actually more effective than doing literally anything else with a premade though

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Arzachel posted:

I played a match of Bank It on Monaco against a team that would have a sniper pick off people in transit and a pair of lights with grapple to yoink the coins. Hard to say if that was actually more effective than doing literally anything else with a premade though

Well that's the thing: the sniper's being used near the point here instead of far away from both Vaults. Stick and move, etc.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Been playing every few days with my friend. Could really use a third though https://discord.gg/h7hWPMDP

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Had fun playing this, very cool they had millions of players and it all seemed to work pretty well. Hope they announce a release date soon

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hope they use those millions of players to hire some dang VAs...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im going to be really sad that i probably won't be able to get all the clothes i did for my ladies i was able to immediatly :(

Mordja posted:

Hope they use those millions of players to hire some dang VAs...

i ran into one voiceline where the male AI announcer did a weird inhuman laugh and it was so scary it felt like a jumpscare

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I think the AI voice announcers actually worked incredibly well. I never would have known if no one told me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kwolok posted:

I think the AI voice announcers actually worked incredibly well. I never would have known if no one told me.

the guy sounded okay but the girl sounded insanely awkward at basically all times, especially whenever she tried to make a joke. very breathless and awkward delivery

plus they seem to have used AI to generate a ton of lines that are useless, like whenever one of them makes a joke you get the other one going 'haha, thats right' 'yeah,' 'indeed,' 'true,' like 5 secnds later, unsubtitled. plus there being diagetic commentary off ingame speakers by an entirely different voice. its a weird amount of fluff and seems like it exists just because it was easy to cram in as much as they wnated

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the idea of the announcers is fun and really adds to the virtual death game vibes but like what i like about announcers when i watch stuff is how they are humans because i like humans

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if they wnated to go with the idea that the announcers are insincere and fake i think a human VA with good direction could pull that off way better

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I think if no one talked about it being AI no one would have ever given it any thought.

It's leading this way eventually, all announcer type voice overs will soon be AI because it's a thousand times easier and cheaper to get them to say a million different and dynamic lines.

I imagine they'll eventually have the announcers voicing specific actions which is why players have auto generated "safe names".

Personally I think that's neat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like it when people get paid money

Kwolok posted:

I think if no one talked about it being AI no one would have ever given it any thought.

how does that make any sense?

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 6, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone have thoughts on the Light class? I didn’t try it but I felt running 2 medium / 1 heavy or vice versa worked very well. I’m thinking Light needs some of its unlocks and really good team comm to be effective, more so than M and H

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kwolok posted:

It's leading this way eventually, all announcer type voice overs will soon be AI because it's a thousand times easier and cheaper to get them to say a million different and dynamic lines.

I imagine they'll eventually have the announcers voicing specific actions which is why players have auto generated "safe names".

Personally I think that's neat.

I disabled announcer audio after a couple matches because it sucked poo poo and only found out it was AI gen afterwards.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Light class? I didn’t try it but I felt running 2 medium / 1 heavy or vice versa worked very well. I’m thinking Light needs some of its unlocks and really good team comm to be effective, more so than M and H

The silenced pistol felt a little too busted and the starting SMG too anemic. You get a decent set of utility, the taser seems strong although I was mostly on the receiving end. Both the grapple and dash felt useful but giving up vertical mobility is rough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cloaked melee was pretty good, you could clean up a whole team if you picked the timing right

and you could do goofy steals

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do frag grenades/medium's grenade launcher blow up buildings? For my own limited testing I shot a wall with the china lake a few times and it didn't seem to do anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordja posted:

Do frag grenades/medium's grenade launcher blow up buildings? For my own limited testing I shot a wall with the china lake a few times and it didn't seem to do anything.
destructible terrain seems to have a sort of 'HP'. you can blow up stuff with grenades but it needs to already be crumbling/damaged, or you need multiple grenades.

fire also seems to damage stuff slowly over time. the flamethrower can definitely burn holes into buildings, but it takes like two full clips by itself

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

even if they wnated to go with the idea that the announcers are insincere and fake i think a human VA with good direction could pull that off way better

The weird announcers in [Super] Monday Night Combat are some of the most memorable content in that game, they can definitely do good stuff here if they spent the time and money

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You know the stuff the announcers say now? Just hire someone to say that exact same stuff but this time without emphasizing words and syllables in insane ways like the bot does.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

i like it when people get paid money

You are going to hate the new unreal engine

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Mordja posted:

I only ran the GL for one round but didn’t notice any destruction. Low splash too. I should have given it more time but the AK was too good

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Other than the sledge hammer I believe no weapons destroy the environment which loving sucked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Other than the sledge hammer I believe no weapons destroy the environment which loving sucked

the RPG definitely does

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

the RPG definitely does

That's a gadget not a weapon

Maybe this is pedantic but I mean primary weapons that you can only ever carry one of and occupy your primary inventory slot.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

the heavy grenade launcher does some destruction iirc

frankly poo poo can get destroyed so fast in this game, it doesnt need to be faster... sucks to be medium if you wanna break poo poo though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the heavy grenade launcher does some destruction iirc

frankly poo poo can get destroyed so fast in this game, it doesnt need to be faster... sucks to be medium if you wanna break poo poo though.

I didn't try it but double explosive mine might work for going through a wall. There's always propane tanks and explosive barrels though!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Arzachel posted:

I didn't try it but double explosive mine might work for going through a wall. There's always propane tanks and explosive barrels though!

Explosive mines don't do destruction either. Neither does frag grenades.

Explosive barrels, sledgehammer, RPG, c4, heavy rush ability and breaching charge are the only thing that do destruction iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

frag grenades definitely destroy walls/floors, but theyre very weak against those so i wouldnt rely on them for a quick escape