Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Flamer heavy checking in. I haven't even played the other classes, I'm having too much fun smashing buildings, torching dudes, and dropping some shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Relyssa posted:

Kool Aid Man'ing through buildings is so much fun.

I'm trying to figure out why there isn't a Kool Aid Man skin. Make your character shout "oh yea!" While I burst through walls.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
That's what I'm digging about The Finals is that it's more lighthearted than a lot of other FPS games. I had a team the other day where one dude spent the whole match just wrecking buildings. I wasn't even made I just thought that dude was having a great time with the game.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

I'd love to see how Palworld has impacted every other game out there this past week

This is exactly it. It had something like 2 million plus concurrent players the other day my friend was telling me.

Edit: looks like 1,864,421 concurrent players on steam, beating out CS2 to take the #2 spot.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 24, 2024

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

comedyblissoption posted:

you can try to bodyblock a stun

something i'm not see players do much is if it's a last moment capture, body block bullets for the capturer

Body blocking as a heavy is an important skill, is this something mediums/lights try to do too?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

imo either stungun shouldn't block captures or cashouts shouldn't finish if someone is capping. im fine with either but the combo is aggravating.

The latter is definitely my preference. It really stinks to work hard to try and steal the cashout, succeed, and be defeated by the timer.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Too Many Birds posted:

disagree. the whole philosophy of the game is risk/reward and all this does is now invalidate the efforts of the defenders. if you want that cash out, you gotta take a gamble and make that move.

I can see this side to it. Doing just enough to delay the enemy and secure the cashout is something I've experienced too.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
My buddy has been playing medium lately and I love flamer heavy. It's an incredible combo. We had a couple amazing games last night and each game he's hitting nearly 10k support score from keeping me alive, on top of having nearly as many kills/obj points etc. This was amplified when we got another healing medium on the team, causing us to win harder than I've ever won before. I think healing is pretty underated but not surprising if people wanna just shoot mans.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I'm consistently scoring better than PC people while I'm on console, though I'm usually playing quick play. I will admit that I play Flamer Heavy though and that trying to play light would probably really suck unless you're going to set up your controls to be more sensitive.

The default controller mapping sucks rear end. Big changes for me were swapping pickup/reload priority and using the modifier controller mapping. It's unbelievable how much better the modifier mapping is in terms of changing gadgets. I unbound the emote button too because I'd accidentally hit it regularly as I'm a spaz.

I have a couple pals that were having a bad time for a bit and when I played with them I noticed them having CoD brain doing things like:

- standing and fighting
- rushing in alone
- not picking up/holding throwables when traversing the map
- not utilizing the environment to exit a fight/reposition
- caring only about killing other dudes instead of teamwork

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Horizon Burning posted:

lights ruin this game

Barbequing a light is one of the most satisfying things in this game. Even better when two of them stand next to each other.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Hulk Krogan posted:

I tried the modifier mapping in the beta but found that I kept messing up the inputs during particularly frantic fights/escapes. D-pad switching makes you take your thumb off the stick, but is more consistent (for me, at least).

Yea taking my thumb off the movement was a no go for me. I tried the wheel for a bit but I found it wasnt responsive enough. Anytime I tried to swap fast by hitting the wheel and flicking the stick, I'd either hold it too long and my character would start looking in the direction I was holding or I would go too fast and the stick popping back to center would consistently change to a different gadget before the wheel closed.

It did take a few games to really lock in the muscle memory of my gadgets and I don't swap classes at all which probably contributed to my preference as my gadgets are always in the same spot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Hulk Krogan posted:

What do you have jump bound to then? The other thing that pushed me toward the d-pad setup is that it lets me keep jump on the left bumper. Been using bumper jumper in console fps games too long to change now.

I guess I could rebind the modifier to a face button and put it on a paddle, but then I'm already using this for slide and ping.

Ah yea, I've ever never been able to adapt to using bumpers for jump/dash etc so I'm just using the stock modifier layout with L1 for modifier and X for jump. I don't find myself jumping all that often with my heavy, but I could see alternative layouts being better for other classes like Light.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
It's definitely a lot more tactical. Hiding in bushes to regen health. Using your charge to escape death. Knowing when to fight vs run. Spending even less time in the open than normal because you don't have a team to support you.

The first 3-4 matches I played went terribly and I hated the mode. Then I switched up my playstyle to a more conservative and tactical one. Using height, surprise through walls, using the charge as a weapon not just a utility, and knowing when to hangout near a cashout to try and catch a juicy target. Just slowing down and spending more time observing during a match helped me a lot and had a couple really good games yesterday.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I thought they increased the weight added to the throwable, did it not help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I like that actually, the weight of the c4/mine destabilizes the canister to the heavier direction.