Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not sure why destructive environments fall out of fashion. I can't think of a single game with it as a serious mechanic that was explicitly bad because of it off the top of my head.

They're kind of a bitch to implement unless you designed for it from the ground up.
Tons more work when you have to model what's inside walls, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Was the flamethrower good at some point? Because it doesn't feel that great when I'm hosing a light in the face point blank and they can out DPS me with a mac11
Yea it's great for securing kills and harassment but 1v1 it loses a lot of fights even in 'optimal' range.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The flamethrower was nerfed into the ground on release; compared to beta it lost range, damage, rate of fire, and they changed the graphics so it wasnt as blinding. its pretty much garbo atm. it can barely outdamage a heal beam

IMO they should make the flamethrower the alt fire of the goo gun

I had the feeling its way worse than it used to be, judging by how many people were singing it's praises and yea - now it's laughably bad. Hilarious to use, especially on lights that think they can dodge out of being on fire - but I'm gonna switch to the shotgun I think.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I have seen the light and the light is the loving HEAVY SHOTGUN
My god
Lights disappear when I look at them
Mediums flee but it is too late
Heavies with any other gun melt immediately

Fatty with shotgun, rpg, mines (for sticking to deposit boxes and staircases) and mesh shield/shield bubble - just disgusting.

Also the Bank It mode is way better than vault guarding gametype - y'all were right.
If the vaults gave out incremental rewards along the way it'd be more interesting, but as is the only poo poo that matters is the fight 15 seconds before the timer finishes.
Hell, there should be a small reward for being the ones to claim the initial box, too- something like 2500 for being the first to the box, 10K at 5 increments, and 10K for the 'final' capture.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

amitlu posted:

My problem with bank it is it seems like the defensive part of the game just doesn't exist for it, it's kind of just a race. The game seems designed around setting up defenses and also attacking them.

It is a fun mode though but I still prefer quick cash.

Oh you can absolutely play defense and its how i win most of my games: mining the poo poo out of the oldest deposit and running to the fresh one, in an endless cycle of exploding lights delivering their riches to you.
Just have to stay ahead of the pack and most of the time the teams will fight each other behind you, send their fast dudes ahead - and they feed you their coins.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp6zCXikTv8
(ideal circumstances displayed)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 19, 2023

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Snooze Cruise posted:

also you can put explosive mines on things and throw them at people which is fun. i mean you can do that with gas mines as well i guess but its less fun because there isn't an explosion.

I put my vote in for explosive mines almost solely because they 1-shot lights, and one shotting lights is cathartic beyond measure.
Also they let you be clever and mine staircases, doors, ceilings above jump pads, etc - get creative. You get a tone of mileage out of putting the mines on objectives, but if you can mine approaches you'll become Pure Evil and have people rage-add you after games.

Demoman build is wonderful. Adding the turret to it really stepped it up another level of fuckery.
(just need to unlock the beanie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSb8BeJ_2Bk

My only real gripe with the game is this inconsistent feeling with some of the damage. Sometimes pipes do less damage to people fighting me than they do to me.
Sometimes the light sawn-off one-shots me as a heavy. Sometimes the auto-shotgun 2 taps people, sometimes it takes 4+ shots to do half their health - hard to say if its weird hit reg or my aim being off but something just feels a LITTLE fucky sometimes.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

satanic splash-back posted:

Not sure how to feel about removing mine 1-shots on lights.

I am mad about this.
Lights cried enough to get it nerfed into nigh-uselessness. Now you more or less have to double up your mines, or combo them with the sentry if you want to keep lights off a point.

But the double barrel that 2-shots heavies is perfectly fine.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

GoldStandardConure posted:

I am beginning to take a liking to the mediums grenade launcher. It's pretty terrible in most circumstances, but I have been keeping it in my reserve for those situations where you need to go Full Goblin Mode (like there is 30 seconds left on the clock and you need to either steal a cash out, or cause as much drama as possible), and if you have a good team mate with a gun with you, you can obliterate everyone gathered around a cash box, or a bunch of people have a sword/sledgehammer fight.

Ive been playing almost exclusively nothing but medium demoman (launcher, jump pad, mines, defib, turret ability) - it's fun but it lets you down a lot.
It seems especially prone to the whack-rear end RNG damage where you shoot a dude twice and the first hit will do 50% of their health, the second 25%. The splash damage especially is extremely unreliable at being consistent - unless you splash yourself in which case you will die, and the sword light you shot twice point blank will escape at half health.
Still, it's a ton of fun - and it takes 8 grenades to break a wall. Easier to throw 2 mines on a wall and shoot those.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

whaley posted:

accidentally read that as eight hand grenades at first

Ill be honest I don't know how many frags it takes to break walls.
The Medium pipe launcher takes 8
The Heavy 6-shot launcher takes 2 or 3 I think? Id have to test but it breaks walls far more easily than the medium's China Lake.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Triple fatty on Bank It is just wonderful.
Mix up of shields and charge smash power, some mines, and it's a great time popping lights one after another.

Still hate the loving tazer though.
Abilities that gently caress with movement, especially aimsense, are a cardinal design sin.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Just delete the stun gun already

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The cloak is 'okay' if you are literally focused on spotting a cloaked light near you.
The moment you are distracted at all, they may as well be fully invisible unless they run infront of something really clashy like fire or a light source.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It lasts too long and is too easy to toggle on and off, IMO.

If cloak was limited to the cloak grenades I think it would be fine? Puts it on a long cooldown with an obvious activation. The toggle-able nature of it is just overpowered right now.

Snooze Cruise posted:

keep the stun gun but make my fun explosives one shots on lights again

I would accept this compromise though. gently caress lights let me explode them. If they can't HEAR or SEE the loving mines, they deserve to die.

It's pretty telling how swingy my enjoyment of the game is, and it hinges 100% on "how many lights are running cloak + tazer + sawnoff?" because the moment there are 2+ of those in the same game, I start to hate it.

Of course I could become the cancer but I have the most fun as a hammer fatty or a medium grenade launcher demoman analog.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RIP FINALS,
Lasted what.. 3 weeks?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So long as the invuln vanishes the moment you move/shoot I think it's fine?
I've never really noticed it before - if you get revived in a bad spot, you die super fast prior to the change, too.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

imo either stungun shouldn't block captures or cashouts shouldn't finish if someone is capping. im fine with either but the combo is aggravating.

Yea the fact an steal-in-progress doesnt push into 'overtime' is kind of criminal for those really sweat-inducing last second plays. It's what made those last second wins/losses in games like TF2 and OW so much better.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RaySmuckles posted:

so here's my thought

take recon senses off mediums and put it on lights. take invisibility away from lights. keep the invisibility grenade

give mediums somethings else like a "special ammo" that does some kind of increased damage instead. you have to load it into the weapon as the ability and it lasts for one mag, if you reload its gone. that gives them a combat booster that is great for holding points, still obnoxious, but with limitations. maybe something like +50% damage but -50% ammo capacity. or something else better thought out, i dunno, maybe a jet pack

it plays into lights recon function and they're still squishy as all get out.

jet pack has me sold on this idea

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

Imo they really should just make it so you can't shoot while using it. Anyone remember Blacklight Retribution? That whole game was built around the wallhack but you also couldn't switch from it directly into shooting.

It's almost like every other multiplayer game that offers some sort of 'wallhacks' mode divorces it from shooting by at least a weapon swap/activation/animation.

Hunt showdown? Gotta channel magic power, can't shoot while doing it
R6 Siege? It's a thingy the operator has to hold like a camera - in fact the game has a bunch of wallhack adjacent abilities, many of which were very quickly nerfed away from something comparable to what is in Finals now: either they only detect moving people, or only electronic devices in use, or otherwise force you to use a gadget that replaces your gun (or makes it a pistol instead of your primary)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 31, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

just make it not work through walls, ez solved

how about it lets you see players
only players
nothing else
up to you to figure out where walls are at that point

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kwolok posted:

Some maps are worse than others in terms of details but I actually think they are all fine as they are meant to be arenas and not real places. I think this game would be a lot more annoying if the interiors were all knackered with bullshit. The destruction is what adds the complexity to the maps, not their interiors.

Vegas is 'more detailed' and it's the shittiest map by far - but that's because of the horrible giant structures and lack of meaningful vertical traversal throughout. The sand-covered version somewhat alleviates the worst problems but only by a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The throwables really need to be more fragile to gunfire, especially if they are being 'held' or tossed.
If you could punish a heavy with a nuke by just blowing it up in his face with 1-2 shots, it'd alleviate a lot of the problem.
See: explosive barrels in HL2 for the perfect balance. Durable until shot or damaged in which case 1 bullet ignites them, 2 explodes them, explosive damage ignites them in an area.