Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--ZZEzSCog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

they should add in some vehicles too, some more guns, maybe a map that is more natural terrain, some sort of game mode where you capture and hold territory for points..

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Yeah!

But mostly I just hate team sizes small enough someone could tell I specifically am not doing a good job

i've had so many moments of burying my face into my hands and thinking "oh god they just watched me do that why did i do that."

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

heavy is the best class and it's not even close.

embark keeps buffing the flamethrower and it was already extremely viable before the most recent patch.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the issue is when you waste bullets shooting some invulnerable dude

yes. invulnerability was barely perceptible for the revived but for everyone else their body is there a lot longer blocking bullets/projectiles which was mildly annoying but not rage inducing, but i'm glad they are trying to find a good balance.

withoutclass posted:

The latter is definitely my preference. It really stinks to work hard to try and steal the cashout, succeed, and be defeated by the timer.

disagree. the whole philosophy of the game is risk/reward and all this does is now invalidate the efforts of the defenders. if you want that cash out, you gotta take a gamble and make that move.

i could entertain the idea of a gadget that could roll back the cash out timer by something like 5 seconds on use. could add 5 seconds to a cash out on bank it? probably way too specific of a gadget tho. give it to light so they have a reason to exist in tournament mode.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

showerthought: just add the ability to the stun gun to stun the cash outs, stalling the timer essentially.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

isndl posted:

That goes both ways though - invalidating the efforts of the defender is bad, but so is invalidating the efforts of the attacker. It absolutely sucks to make a big play and lose it because the circle is impossible to accurately eyeball. Counter-strike doesn't give overtime either for defusing the bomb (because it's a loving bomb), but you have a clock that actually lets you know if you can possibly pull it off or if it's time to gently caress off and save your gun for the next round.

again i think this is by design. having a timer takes away an element of the gamble. eventually you get a good feel for how much time is left on the circle, but sometimes you think that just maybe you can make it in time, which encourages risky and interesting plays.

attackers have an opportunity to steal the cash out at any point during an engagement. if you think you are not going to have enough time to clear the defenders and any 3rd parties before time runs out, then you gotta take the risk and just go for the steal and hope your teammates can hold off any attempts to stop it. use the chaos of all 4 teams battling over a double loaded cash out to sneak a steal.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

slicing up eyeballs posted:

yeah if the overtime lasts only as long as the stealer has their hand on the box and immediately cashes out if they stop after the timer would have expired, then I'm not really seeing a downside to this change. it's not adding time per se, it's just letting a player action resolve. and since you already can't capture as a team it just reinforces the mechanic of protecting the stealer at the box, amps it even.

i think instantly ending the match if the stealer has their hand removed from the box would just lead to more frustration. in this scenario, the teams who are most desperate to steal the cashout are going to be 3rd and 4th place. if 3rd place is stealing and puts the game into OT then 4th place is basically just poo poo out of luck, even if they had a player right there ready to start a steal in case 3rd place gets disrupted from their steal. there would have to be a brief window that would allow for another steal to commence.

i get the arguments for OT, and honestly if it is implemented down the line it just means a change in the meta which is always fun to see. but all i see it doing is creating a meta where at 30 seconds everyone is hiding, and at 10 seconds left everyone knows that they have to dogpile the cashout and suddenly every gadget, projectile, and ability that people have been saving is now raining down on top of that fuckin' box.

the game goes hard in the paint with the whole gambling aesthetic for a reason. you got to take the risks. your team has to get in on the action, the odds are incredibly against your favor but you are feeling lucky tonight.

withoutclass posted:

My buddy has been playing medium lately and I love flamer heavy. It's an incredible combo. We had a couple amazing games last night and each game he's hitting nearly 10k support score from keeping me alive, on top of having nearly as many kills/obj points etc. This was amplified when we got another healing medium on the team, causing us to win harder than I've ever won before. I think healing is pretty underated but not surprising if people wanna just shoot mans.

welcome to the crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkS2TGjVIM&t=5s

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

your whole thing about "dead time" makes literally no sense.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

so you are saying that those ~6 seconds should become an OT countdown instead?

i think we are all saying the same thing with just slightly different tweaks.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

then yes we are talking about the same idea with tweaks to the formula :v:.

again i don't agree that OT should be added to the game, as i think it would create a predictable meta and discourage bold plays. at the same time i really wouldn't care if there was an OT element added because this game feels special in that the meta can always be disrupted so it'd be interesting to see where it would go.

except for the currently broken poo poo like the FCAR/Recon.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

"next week" they said so hopefully they stick to that.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

pilot the goddamn eva, light.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

quote:

With update 1.6 yesterday we unfortunately undid some of the balance changes and fixes which were part of hotfix 1.5.5 last week.
Our leaderboard also broke, and has been displaying some crazy numbers for the past day. :sad_friend:

We are currently working on reintroducing the balance changes and fixes from 1.5.5, and hope to have an update out tomorrow to fix these problems!

:dice:

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

I definitely think the AI generated voices is a trial balloon for future games to have dynamic AI voicing.

It will probably end up like AI Seinfeld did.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

as a heavy player, i love my nuke. and i think there is some balance to it because if you are running around with one there is a chance you will be instagibbed by your hubris if another player can land a good shot on it, which does happen to me a lot. but catching a heavy carrying a nuke requires a lot of risky positioning when you are defending a cash out.

i think making it extremely fragile after C4 is attached would be a good starting point of balancing it, just one bullet and kaboom. decreasing the damage it causes is probably gonna be the end result though.

starting to bounce off this game a bit, and apparently steam charts are showing a pretty significant player decline. but ironically if somebody irl asks me what i've been playing recently i will not shut the gently caress up about The Finals.

wondering if there is a chance for the game to have a rebound in interest and what it would take.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

yeah the RPG basically behaves like you are simultaneously in clear of and in the path of the backblast now.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

briefly had the idea that the red canister could start veering off course much faster than it currently does but when i am nuked its almost always within arms reach of the nuker.

still, it could be funny to implement anyway.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

hey nice i called it

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

been too busy playing the finals to post about playing the finals

everyone should play the finals

i play the finals and you can too

the finals

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Wait what? Where am I going to get rid of my light class dailies guilt-free now?

same but getting my Light wins achievement.

Mordja posted:

Oh, what? Unranked Tournament is pretty much the only way I play! D:

I greatly prefer it to Quick Cash and don't want to deal with the stress and meta-obsessives that I assume populate Ranked.

the meta in ranked is still being discovered right now so it's fun to play at the moment.

gravity cube can create some extremely funny situations.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

also if they want me to play 5v5 more then they need to nerf the APS, which has been just as big of a menace as as Recon or the Nuke was imo.

the balance of an item cannot be:

i get: infinitely destroy all incoming projectiles
you get: no more projectiles

ironically the APS in BF2042 was (is?) the same way.

even outside of 5v5 they can be extremely loving annoying to encounter but at least you can work around them. and they have given Medium new tools to do that this season. but in 5v5 the Dematerializer doesn't work with the moving platform, and the Data Reshaper would be good if you weren't instagibbed the instant you were spotted by the 3 mediums and 2 heavies riding the platform. sure, your snipers could shoot at the APS, but they aren't gonna.

i can think of half a dozen ways to balance it so that it's still desirable to use and not a complete loving nightmare for your opponents to deal with.

i'm sure the devs are already working on something if i had to guess.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Oh word ? I was excited to try it so I've played a bunch of tournaments with the cube but not once did I think "I'm glad I gave up my C4 for this". What uses have you found for it? I've tried lifting cashouts on defense, that usually buys you 3 to 5 seconds at best. Using it for traversal is slow and leaves you really vulnerable so that's out. Haven't had the opportunity to fish a cashout from above but that seems to run into obvious problems. (#1 being opponents can just shoot it)

I watched a youtube vid that was suggesting using goo and jump pads to bounce the cashout around after lifting it. That seems kinda fun but also very impractical and challenging to set up with randoms.

it's an extremely good item right now:

- lifting cashouts and skeet shooting players trying to ride it up to steal
- lifting cashouts off the moving platforms which are the dumbest cashout locations in this game by far
- lifting players off the platform in 5v5 to also skeet shoot them and/or to give your four other teammates all running light sniper to get a chance for a sick nasty headshot
- throwing it at a doorway/window/opening when you have a team chasing your rear end and you need to buy just a few more seconds to get a revive in
- goo + doorway + gravity cube for cashout defense.
- just fuckin' hucking it at people and seeing them short circuit because they don't know what to do

it's just a really fun chaos tool at the moment. i've actually started using it over the C4 since they took one of my charges away from me. just throwing down the cube on the cashout when you have all 4 teams fighting around it creates beautiful mayhem.

eventually people will learn to just shoot the cube, but it's got a pretty solid HP count on it that still buys you an extra second or two if you need the clutch.

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

whaley posted:

wish they'd change ranked mode back to how it worked before. they previously showed you how many points you got (or lost) after a tournament and how many you needed until the next rank up. now there's zero indication of any of that. game is still super fun but ranked working this way is kind of discouraging

it's weird. best i've come up with:

higher rank? win at least 3 rounds in a tournament to level up. losing at round 1 demotes. losing at round 2-4 breaks even.
lower rank? win at least 1-2 rounds. more wriggle room to lose and keep your progress but don't lose too many rounds!

i'm not too worried about it. i'll be stuck in plat until i decide to stop being a solo queuer and maybe actually join the voice chat.