Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I haven't played a ton of this so take it with a grain of salt, but i can't shake the feeling with this game that the high-level meta is going to be some completely anti-fun poo poo eventually

that said, there's quite a bit that this game does well, though idk how much of this I can really see myself playing

comedyblissoption posted:

unfortunately it looks like they caved and unlike the beta they put in overtuned RAA with input strengths that I measured stronger than apex PC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefinals/comments/18dtlff/aim_assist_changes/

it'll be fun playing against mnk players for a while i guess until you hit a wall of RAA players

sigh

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you can do environments that don't destruct for like 20% as much work. also arguably destructability in AAA FPS basically died off with BF5 and then especially 2042. The huge map event stuff was kind of underwhelming and not that interesting after the first handful of times and it clearly took a ton of work to do, meanwhile that grew into the ridiculous ~map events~ in bf2042 which were almost universally hated because literally no one is trying to play an fps in a tornado that's just stupid

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

Please don't point to the disappointing poo poo show that was 2042 and blame its destruction for why no one liked it.

No one likes it because it is a soulless derivation of previous concepts designed to suck money out of rubes. Also its loving boring.

Also the tornado did nothing.

This game looks interesting. I might give it a try when im less burned out on competitive fps.

ur reading that post backwards: it didn't have meaningful destruction, that's my entire point. destruction in the bf series morphed from basically the height of bfbc2 into some weird bastardized notion of destruction and weird 'destructive' map events by 2042 that was utterly soulless, in addition to the entire rest of the game being basically fps white bread

Kwolok posted:

Bf2042 also had barely any destruction compared to previous iterations of battlefield which is another reason why it sucked.

yeah that was what I was getting at^

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the battlefield series got chasing true dynamic destruction and eventually decided it was too difficult and wasn't worth it when all anyone ever wanted was more bad company 2

yeah exactly

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 17, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Finally played a bunch of this and man it is really good. It feels way better than it did during beta, for some reason.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Game was fun. But now its just the Medium/Heavy show with mines and gas loving everywhere and I can't really give a poo poo. I don't want to have to take fire every game, or whatever. Giving players two mines (on top of being able to take multiple mines per loadout meaning in some cases 6 mines) was such a dumb choice.

Just too many frustrating balance choices. Hopefully they can sort it out next season or whatever.

it's an objective based game and light has zero objective presence so it's only natural that you're going to need your comp to be mostly characters with point presence

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
light is very much viable, you just are going to have an extremely hard time running 2 or 3 lights

Kwolok posted:

I agree with you of course but that doesn't make it cool and fun. And the whole "Just turtle up with mines and bullshit" meta its becoming is just exhausting and not fun. Ironically light with glitch greandes is really the most viable as attacking into turtle mine bullshit meta, but other that that singular use is a pretty pitiful class to pick into tourney.

As always bank it is the best gamemode.

The dirty secret of this game is it is just overwatch with gimmicky destruction, except in 3v3 and designed by people who appear to have more experience designing FPS games. Playing Finals it's wild how often I notice the game defaulting back to almost 1:1 OW situations and setups

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 31, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

saw a video claiming that all the top players and streamers use a $50 software that enables Aim Assist and controls gun recoil via script, evidenced by supposed membership in the software's discord. The video author didn't actually provide a screenshot of that discord. But they did put the software through its paces, and it seems to work just fine.

sounds like you watched a cheat advertisement

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's literally just a cheat ad from a youtube account that hasn't posted videos in 3 years

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Kwolok posted:

A cheat ad? It's literally just a rewasd profile lmao

They need to implement input based matchmaking already.

if people are using it to cheat and it's for sale then yeah it's a cheat ad, especially with that ridiculous 'this is what literally all the pros are using!!!'

some games will attempt to ban you or block you from playing if they detect devices or software that can remap mouse to roller or script recoil. these obvious cheaty mcheatyface devices that you can pick up at wal-mart are in an arms race to avoid being detected.

who knows if the finals will consider it a bannable offense.

keep in mind that a mouse player using this type of aim assist will exhibit aim that is far stronger than the settings cheaters use to try to hide that they are cheating their aim.

i assume they will, but also the current state of controller aa is so ridiculous and imo ultimately untenable that who knows where the breaking point will be. with that said, anyone running input spoofers and recoil canceling profiles or scripts should 100% expect to be banned for it

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 5, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
who knows, people trying to call attention to get it fixed aren't usually showing people how to do stuff, nor framing it in terms of '100% of pros and streamers are doing this,' the people who do consistently do both of those things though are people advertising cheats

vOv

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Kwolok posted:

He didn't say 100% of pro players do this and its cool. He said a huge number of pro players are doing this and its a problem at the higher levels because its so plagued with it.

I guess you're right that some people might hear that and go "Well I want to be perform at the top level, so that seems like a good idea" but I read it more as "This is a huge epidemic issue at the top ranks because its so easy to do."

Maybe you're right and its all a funnel to sell cheats, regardless the main takeaway here is this poo poo is way more prevalent than you may think and the barrier for entry is incredibly low.

he specifically says 'all' a bunch of times lol

' In this video, I explain how all the top ranked leaderboard players are actually cheating / hacking in The Finals! I download their software to show you and go in-depth on how these pros are secretly all cheating through adding controller aim assist and no recoil scripts on to their Keyboard and Mouse! Don't believe me after watching this video?'

games should definitely just auto-kick you if they detect stuff like rewasd there's not really any legitimate purpose for that software in a multiplayer game with aim assist

afaik rewasd isn't trying to hide or disguise itself like most cheat software

Why would they as long as it isn't banned, they still get a bunch of the extremely lucrative market for cheater money while not even having to dodge detection. And yeah agreed 100% that it needs to be dealt with like that, though the AA situation is such a pandora's box and as long as consoles are 80%+ of the fps market, idk how it ever gets addressed.

Ancedotally I haven't noticed people abusing AA much in finals nearly at all compared to how present it was in apex, but that might well just be a matter of time. Currently there's no major financial incentive in finals yet to force a meta shift to controllers among everyone who wants to be competitive at the top level.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 5, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i haven't noticed aim assisters really at all in game, like 1/20th as much as I'd notice it in Apex. idk if this is even being played much by people on consoles. my lobbies are all 95% steam players. Not a lot of beamers in general, either. Only run into one person who was openly cheating. People are still generally so bad at this game/the meta is not figured out that you win matches by playing the objectives in not stupid ways

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 9, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

I see at least one person using the rewasd thing in about every ten games. Last one was a sniper hitting everyone as soon as they were visible. Sometimes I notice my teammates using it while watching in the deathcamera.

There was one game where one team all used it and they each had 30,000+ damage score but they quit after they lost the cashout twice in a row lol

if people are hitting you as soon as they have los on you that's just cheats

Kwolok posted:

Yeah playing shooters that don't have aim assist and playing this game is a night and day experience for me. And I can only think of one major difference between the titles...

can you record one of your games where you're running into these enhanced beamers because I'd be very curious to see what you're running into because it's so different from my experience. ime this game has been probably as clean as any fps that I've played in ages

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 9, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they really aren't at the cap of how good people can be, not even close, it's that smaller advantages become disproportionately more impactful as player skill gets higher

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Unhappy Meal posted:

Everything you'd expect to get the slap got the slap.

https://www.reachthefinals.com/patch-notes-7

Also V9S damage buff because ??? (Only changes medium bodyshot breakpoint from 8 to 7 shots.)

probably underutilized, plus light is meant to be the medium killer and having to land 8 shots with a semi auto is kinda dumb if you think someone is meant to be assassinating mediums

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the invulnerability was way longer than it needed to be. ideally there'd be zero iframes but realistically you probably should have like a fraction of a second for people to feel like they have time to react, at least in the non-competitive game modes because people hate getting respawned and instantly killed. there should be zero iframes in the tournament/ranked modes. failing that it would really have helped if there was some prominent visual signifier that you will be wasting your bullets shooting at the freshly revived, like them fading in or something.

that entire list of balance changes is good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the issue is when you waste bullets shooting some invulnerable dude

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i like to bodyblock my team mate's nukes

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
one of the funnest things in this game period is smashing into a team that is holding a point with like 20% left as hard as you possibly can

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I feel like you avoid a bunch of kinda degenerate gameplay outcomes by not letting a single character steal/delay past the timer. As is, the timer gives a team maybe two shots to contest if they're quick and waste no time and, practically, the defending team has to win 2-3 fights, or at least remain able to pressure the objective for the entire time. Attacking teams have a lot of tools to disrupt or just outright blow up defensive setups and imo if you added 10 seconds to the timer potentially you'd see way, way fewer holds.

generally i think the cashout period is very well designed to force an insane minute of action and it doesn't feel too heavily stacked in any particular direction (aside from the last team to engage having an advantage, but conversely they also have the least time)

every second you add via stalling or delayed countdowns for contesting or w/e disincentivizes the team that fought for the vault and deposited it to fight for the vault/cashout spot. there should be a distinct advantage to winning the vault/cashout site fights before the proper cashout fight. I'm not a huge fan of balancing by metrics, but ideally you'd probably want the depositing team to have like a 5-10% win rate advantage over the contesting teams. idk the exact number, but you definitely want to incentivize the early fights so you don't just have a couple of minutes of dead time

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 26, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i remember playing games of OW where 2/3 of the playtime was overtime, that's not automatically preferable to like 5 seconds of dead time. in theory it seems cool and hype, in practice it just becomes a slog and games become unpredictably long

i like that you get a few discrete plays per objective instead of something super dragged out

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 26, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
at that point it seems like it is just a difference of what you're calling it

tbh my response to that is probably overly influenced by how jaded I am towards anything that reminds me of OW

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 26, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you have a 130s timer, it takes 6 full seconds to contest, then you have 124 seconds to start the contest and keep it from being interrupted. if you change it to extend the timer for the length of the contest but take that same time, 6s, off of the total timer to preserve the # of potential fights then you have 124 seconds to start the contest with up to 6 seconds to finish the contest, but you fail if it is interrupted at any point. At that point it's the same system wrt contesting mechanics, though I'd agree that the latter is much more intuitive. The difference is that you get potentially a few less seconds to prep or revive or heal team mates up between cashout stages, which is what the dead time gets used for practically. Cumulatively you'd end up with +/- 18 seconds of recovery/setup/'dead' time, which is substantial (albeit not enough time to add another capture contest in most cases, I believe, but possibly in some?).

what am I missing?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
give every class the grapple

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
just make it not work through walls, ez solved

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i am perplexed by the nuke meta

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah, I'm perplexed by how the devs feel that it fits into the game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's been around since day 1, but it's just people putting c4 on the canisters and launching at people for one shots in a large aoe

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah that just took like 20m off of its max range, which has no relevance to how it gets used 99% of the time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's particularly a thing in ranked or i guess higher mmr non-ranked. when people are playing to win it is way too good to not use

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 8, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

If they go "gently caress it" and stop C4 from being able to stick to throwables i'm gonna be laughing.

I actually kinda think that's the fix, really. It's not like the heavy doesn't already have enough "gently caress everyone in this general area" with the RPG.

yeah i think this is likely what they need to do to balance it, that or give it some significant damage penalty against players but keep the structure damage because blowing open defenses is still pretty important, although a case can be made that it's too good at that, too. Simply making them easy to blow up fixes some issues but doesn't really address the issue on points that are deep within a building where you can't defend the point and defend the approaches at the same time

I'm curious what they will do because it's a weird thing to have in a game that is otherwise explicitly meant to be a very high ttk shooter, which does make it seem like there's some weird dev inertia keeping nukes around

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
idk what it is with game devs and making entire games around the idea of high ttk fps and then someone with veto power or some poo poo is like 'hey lets put this ridiculous one shot into it' and then the meta is defined by it because obviously a one shot is incredibly op in a high ttk game

good on them for changing it, fully expected this to be a blizzard situation where you just have to live with poor design forever