Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man I really want to like The Finals because I usually only game with 2 other friends regularly but:

- doesnt appear to be any kind of skill based match making at all. playing as 3 very new players we were getting put up against teams of people that have spent money on skins etc and are out skilling/gearing us. I dont think we finished better than third across 10 games.

- doesnt feel like there is much if any aim assist on console and im definitely getting put up against MKB players.

- the fluidity of the movement is great right up until you actually try to be fluid and all the ex-:dice: style poo poo comes out like failing to vault/clamber/use ropes/pick up items correctly. having to be accurate with where your cross hair goes so you can start depositing/stealing cash totally sucks. took me a few games to figure out you could pick up those canisters around the map because they dont give you any kind of visual cue you are within range of picking them up.

- HUD/UI is a bit of a mess. Time near the scoreboard instead of under the loving compass where it looks like your bearings since its the same colour and font. Better indication of ammo (both magazine and reserve)

- some environmental sounds are too loud and the announcers are way too loving loud. I had to turn them down, only to find out that I am missing out on game updates. a visual cue would help here.

- Sound design is meh and while footsteps are loud you cant hear them at all while there is gunfire anywhere nearby. guns being nothing but loud bangs is boring (if realistic) and doesnt help.

- your own teams gas mines hurt you. no other weapons do this.

- I dont give a blue gently caress about level destruction if all your loving buildings are grey empty cubes with stairs at one end of the building. There is ZERO visual cues as to where you are on the map - you can fix this with detailed environments or with a minimap. it would be good to have one or the other here. feels like im playing Halo 5 forge maps that looked like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Some maps are worse than others in terms of details but I actually think they are all fine as they are meant to be arenas and not real places. I think this game would be a lot more annoying if the interiors were all knackered with bullshit. The destruction is what adds the complexity to the maps, not their interiors.

I dont want clutter, but just make things visually disttinct. you dont have to go as far as the Vegas map (which I dont mind but it'll get old.)

I dont see anyone countering my arguments about the announcers so I'll just say that they should have an option for critical game info only without the chit chat.

What the gently caress is with EA games/EA alumni putting annoying rear end Announcers in games? I thought this poo poo died with DJ Atomica.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Your one argument was that the announcers were too loud, which I don't think they are so I'm not sure what your point is here. The UI is conveying information properly when it comes to the essentials:
> Is someone capping a cashout/vault > there is both a visual and audio cue
> Has a team been wiped ? > there is a countdown timer on that team's icon now
> Are your teammates dead or alive ? > visual elements convey their status decently enough

The biggest mistake I can think of with regards to the announcers was doing a half measure with their AI processing.

They should have either not used AI at all and have the actors just record their lines as usual, or go full AI and have the lines be generated on the fly. (costlier, and with some jank, but more interesting than what we got). The current state of things is they sound weird and robotic but without the upside of having actually dynamic lines, it's the worst of both worlds.

lower the voice over volume and remove the reverb. I have the announcer volume on 30/100 and its still over powering other elements of the game and sometimes voice chat.

I would rather it be like COD where its fake voice comms with a 2-way radio filter on it. its way less intrusive than boomy sports echo voice.