Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

unfortunately it looks like they caved and unlike the beta they put in overtuned RAA with input strengths that I measured stronger than apex PC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefinals/comments/18dtlff/aim_assist_changes/

it'll be fun playing against mnk players for a while i guess until you hit a wall of RAA players

This is such a bummer. This game is really fun but I can already tell it's going to be pad dominated on PC in a couple months. The beta was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe I'm just used to CoD gluing the ADS on target as much as it physically can, but this doesn't seem that bad to me. Yes it demonstrates that AA has an effect in a wide range around the target, but most of the time the aim was still way off target. It was only really bad when they were right up on the target and it was dragging the crosshair on target off the hip.

The key thing is how it now reacts instantly when the target changes direction. That's what makes RAA so insanely strong in like Cod or Apex. Because in a head up gunfight with each player strafing around, it won't miss shots on every direction change but the human player will.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

this level of RAA means you will be facing better-than-shroud levels of aim at close range from total randos once people start plugging in controllers to PC. a lot of them don't realize their aim is better than shroud in these situations!
Most likely everyones just gonna use rewasd to get AA on their mkb like every other game that's done this has

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Kwolok posted:

The RAA really makes the light double barrel a bit too strong imo

Yep, people are really learning to abuse the snap-to aim assist on guns like the revolver and shotgun too. Just a quick peek and ADS + fire anywhere near the target is guaranteed damage

Yeah this poo poo is insane. Game is going the way of Apex.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

My problem with bank it is it seems like the defensive part of the game just doesn't exist for it, it's kind of just a race. The game seems designed around setting up defenses and also attacking them.

It is a fun mode though but I still prefer quick cash.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah I've pretty much stopped playing for now because it looks like another game lost to the aim assisters. Not to mention the amount of people running rewasd for AA on m/kb. Apex all over again.

Also the amount of people running invis light and double barrel is really annoying. You can basically just get within 5 ft of someone and mash LT and delete them because of the snap lock on.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Every game with AA for controllers on PC eventually gets huge amounts of rewasd users emulating mkb as pads. People aren't even trying to hide that poo poo in the finals. When the AA is so busted it's basically a 'cant beat em join em' situation for 99% of mkb players.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Kwolok posted:

Its almost every other match for me at this point. Every other game there is at least one person who is beaming way better than they have any right to be. Are there some people who are just cracked? Sure. But not "I miss no shots and I can instant delete you from ranges that shouldn't be possible" as often as it is.

Its interesting that I don't have this problem at all in Hunt Showdown, a game with absolutely no auto aim (on PC). It also has weapons that aren't really full auto so there can't be anti-recoil scripts. While at the same time being a brutal and extremely hardcore shooter that attracts some very competent fps players.

It sure is interesting that it only happens in games like this...

Ironically Hunt Showdown just went through this where the pc community successfully fought back against them adding AA to PC. It's basically the only example of a community being successful in pushing back against AA, but it's also largely because it was an existing game for years and this was going to be patched in (probably with a big push for crossplay). Everything else just comes on day 1 now so it's harder to build a backlash.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Kinda poo poo of him to be calling it a cheat in the title when it's clearly got practical, logical uses (especially for accessibility users) and in fact, the issue is Aim Assist strength, not Rewasd itself.
In fact, which is it? Is it 'My Assist Doesn't Do That' or 'Rewasd is a cheat' because there's some real diametrically opposed concepts there.

E: On reflection, I'm delighted this video exists. I want Rewasd to become a fuckin' epidemic, so maybe, just maybe, we'll see something DONE about AA, how strong it is, the impact it has in crossplay and so forth.

Yeah, this video might be a way to get devs to actually do something about AA imbalance or give us input based matchmaking finally. You know console users are going to be absolutely screaming about this and accusing every PC player of using it, and they actually listen to console players.

afaik the only crossplay game brave enough to add aim assist that does not look like an aimbot when tracking was battlefield 2042, and that did pretty terribly. [the game was also obviously an incomplete mess]

i wonder how game devs and businesses in general actually look at this issue internally.

They ended up buffing AA in 2042 not that long ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TjeMlhkN74 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEljLxEJ2q0
It's still not as bad as other games like COD or Apex but it's pretty strong now, they also get lowered recoil.

amitlu fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 7, 2024

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It is kind of funny when the people with elite aim (assist) lise anyway because they suck at point control or don't know how to deal with heavies charging through walls etc

Anyone know how sim assist interacts with invisibility?

Rotational aim assist tracks invis players, you can tell they are there just because you can feel the pull toward them.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

They nerfed the aim assist and are trying to block remappers (aa on mkb) it seems:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2073850/view/5797888151157058721

quote:

Aim Assistance

Zoom Snapping Angular Velocity now has a max cap, preventing unintended rapid 90-degree turns.
Camera Magnetism will be reduced to 35% from 50%, making player aim less sticky and lowering controller accuracy.
Zoom Snapping Time will be reduced to 0.25s from 0.3s.
Zoom Snapping will be removed from the SR-84 Sniper Rifle, Revolver, LH1, and all Shotguns, as it buffs them more
than other weapons.
Aim assist will ignore invisible players, fixing a bug with the existing system.
Clients running key re-mapping programs on PC will not have access to aim assist.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

35% RAA plus snap-on might still be unbalanced in close range automatic weapon duels. in apex 40% w/o snap-on and zero AA at point blank is an insurmountable cliff between equal players on the skill distribution of their inputs at close range. true balance might require different levels of RAA depending on distance to target, since RAA becomes much less impactful at distance.

still, it's really promising that they are willing to make dramatic changes to AA on short timescales between beta and release and have systems in place to look at balance.

The real problem with rotational is the instant directional change. It's good they nerfed it but as long as it still reacts instantly (as opposed to delayed like it was in the beta) it'll still be very strong. Mnk players just can't ever match that in fights and it gives a huge DPS advantage when a real human has to take 200ms to react but the AA doesn't and keeps hitting on every strafe switch.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The fact that top 100 Mnk aimers had about the same accuracy as the average controller player is a good stat to show how out of hand AA has gotten. But it is unfortunate that the things that usually get pointed to are the top players, streamers, pros switching to pad etc because that's all we have the stats on. It's the average mouse user that misses shots occasionally and doesn't spend hours and hours in aim trainers that's getting it the worst, and that crowd is the one that's been severely disadvantaged these past couple years and just quitting the games.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

There is a bug right now that added a ton of bloom to the guns.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Bloom bug is fixed today. If they were experimenting with it to make long distance shooting more difficult the better thing to do would just be to tone down the recoil smoothing this game has.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Just keep playing. The low team sizes mean the game is still going to be easily playable in every region for a long time. The real threat is Embark getting spooked and rebuffing the AA because controller players have been complaining and dropping the game.

The game really needs new maps too, or more variants of the current ones.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Patch notes:

https://www.reachthefinals.com/patch-notes-9

quote:

Balance Changes

Gadgets

Defibrillators

Decreased the length of invulnerability applied after a revive to 0.75s from 1.5s

Revives

Decreased the length of invulnerability applied after a revive to 0.75s from 1.5s

Weapons

.357 Revolver

Decreased the amount of bullet dispersion applied when aiming down sights

Reduced damage fall-off start range to 23m from 35m

Reduced damage fall-off end range to 40m from 50m

CL-40

Increased player damage to 110 from 100

FCAR

Decreased damage to 25 from 26

Guardian Turret

Decreased health to 280 from 300

MGL32

Increased player damage to 83 from 80

Throwing Knives

Decreased the amount of projectile dispersion applied when falling

Decreased the amount of projectile dispersion applied when sprinting

Content And Bug Fixes

Crashes

Fixed an issue where certain GPUs would sometimes crash

Matchmaking

Fixed an issue where crossplay settings would not be respected when the player was in a party

Updated matchmaking configuration in Tournament and Ranked Tournament modes, to help ensure closer matches by skill-rating

They also say they are going to do something about Recon senses in next week's patch

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The revive change is so much better. People are also less cavalier with trying for revives that are obviously not going to work out and end up in a team wipe anyway which is a nice bonus.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Recon senses is indeed lame. They should rework it to just be a pulse that you can trigger from your position that radiates out a certain distance. It's a careful balance though because if it's not useful people will just go back to 99% running heal beam.

I'm excited for the nerf but I also think they need to do something with invis still. Just like wallhacks being in a game is never fun I don't think invis ever is either. They're both just annoying mechanics that need to be heavily limited.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

They just need to give the red canisters the same fix they gave nukes on everything else. It also doesn't help that the event mode basically made everyone who doesn't play heavy all the time more experienced with nukes since they are everywhere in there.

The self damage is high enough now that on fixed stuff you have to at least throw them a little carefully because if they land short you might instagib yourself.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Nuke nerf is great. You can still kinda bounce a red canister nuke at an enemy team but it's much less reliable and slower as well. I imagine you'll still see it but only occasionally and not literally everytime you encounter a Heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Terminal attack rules. I love how all damage matters so much more now with no healing. Class synergy seems better as well since Lights with a sniper across the map are actually really useful now. I hope they keep the mode.