Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

that was a solar prominence, or flare

That's what I figured. So cool. I wonder if it'll last long enough for most people to see. I hope so, because it was cool.

Star Man posted:

WE GOT A PROMINENCE

Yes we did!

I'm waiting in Mt. Vernon for things to settle, traffic-wise. In the meantime, I threw away the Celestron eclipse kit I bought a few months before the eclipse in 2017 and held on to for all these years.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Had about 30 seconds of totality, super cool.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It was like there was a demon in the sky wow

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the show in watertown was ok, it got cloudy but they thinned out a bit right before totality so we were able to see it through them a lot better than i actually thought we would only like 5 minutes prior

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It was like there was a demon in the sky wow

It's fine, I made some sacrifices and the sun is coming back

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I got the total in 2017 so not bummed at all.

That's the effect we got too. I expected it to be a little bit darker at our 90% coverage, but it was still amazing.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

That was incredible. Pure awe. And the flare was super cool, makes me want to fire up the NES emulator and play Life Force.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does cloud cover affect the darkness of the totality? Montreal here, it was awesome, but didn’t get as dark as I imagined

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
That was the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I wore an eye patch so I'd be able to see in the dark better, but I forgot to take it off, so I only saw Totality through one eye lol.

I also had a ring in my pocket and was going to take a goatse picture, but just completely forgot everything in the moment. It was really cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
when’s the next one. 4 minutes wasn’t enough

edit: greenland gets almost half an hour in 2026?? :eyepop:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 8, 2024

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

From here there was just enough breaks in the clouds that you could see the disc of the sun shining through for most of the experience. Everything slowly getting dimmer as totality approached, the seagulls uncreasingly and loudly panicking, the ever shrinking crescent until suddenly night time... it obviously wasn't perfect since it was too cloudy to see the corona but it was good enough to see a diamond or two and the faint ring. Even if it was imperfect that was still a heck of a thing, and having seen both I can definitely say a total eclipse through clouds is exponentially more interesting than a partial eclipse on a clear day.

Got drat lucky though, it started getting too overcast to see anything only a few minutes after totality.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the show in watertown was ok, it got cloudy but they thinned out a bit right before totality so we were able to see it through them a lot better than i actually thought we would only like 5 minutes prior

I couldn't find a spot in Watertown that clicked for me. Drove n scoped out Sackets, Adams, Henderson, Black Pond, and back to Watertown. Realized I couldn't be this close to a great lake and not take advantage. Found Westcott Beach State Park, stood right on the waterline, it was a perfect spot

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Was really worried about the cirrus cloud cover but it ended up being spectacular. Seeing the shadow on the clouds racing towards us, the diamond ring, the corona still clearly visible, the bright prominence at the bottom of the disk… about the only thing I didn’t really see was shadow bands, and that’s probably because of the thin cloud cover.

loving incredible. Totality is a thousand times cooler than 99% coverage.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Absolutely perfect whether in western VT. Day started to get some clouds, but then they basically all were gone by 3:15 ish.

We also had that cool red solar flare on the bottom.

One of the coolest things ever. Wasn't able to remotely get a decent pic with my phone, so just experienced it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ymgve posted:

Does cloud cover affect the darkness of the totality? Montreal here, it was awesome, but didn’t get as dark as I imagined
I think the darkness is a function mostly of how far you are from the edge of the shadow, so basically the duration of totality

In my experience it hasn’t varied much from one eclipse to the next, it’s a subtle difference

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

when’s the next one. 4 minutes wasn’t enough

edit: greenland gets almost half an hour in 2026?? :eyepop:
uhhh no Greenland gets a little over 2 minutes in 2026

The maximum duration that’s theoretically possible right now with the moon’s distance from the earth is something around 7 minutes. But the longest in our lifetimes was 6:45ish in China and the Pacific back in 2009. I don’t believe there are any longer than that this century.

August 12th 2045, which is the next one to cross the continental US, will peak at just over 6 minutes.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 8, 2024

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Absolutely clear and perfect viewing from between Effingham IL & Vincennes IN.

My father was awestruck. This was his first in nearly 70 years of life.

I had a great time photographing it, albeit my camera is stubborn enough that they aren't newspaper-worthy.

I feel privileged to be able to see both this and the 2017 one in similar conditions. Now onwards to 2045!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

2044 goes right over my house, I better still be kicking when it happens.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Went wonderfully clear at the last minute, and that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I am absolutely a convert to the "you need to go see a total eclipse" team. Once if the coolest things I have ever seen.

Oh and having a timer app was great too, reminded me to look for shadow bands- saw them rippling away in the grass both before and after.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 8, 2024

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

uhhh no Greenland gets a little over 2 minutes in 2026

The maximum duration that’s theoretically possible right now with the moon’s distance from the earth is something around 7 minutes. But the longest in our lifetimes was 6:45ish in China and the Pacific back in 2009. I don’t believe there are any longer than that this century.

August 12th 2045, which is the next one to cross the continental US, will peak at just over 6 minutes.

ah whoops, thank you for correcting. Time & Date’s formatting confused me— I guess what they meant is that Greenland gets 27 minutes across the entire band of shadow that spans the country, but then each specific location in that band only gets ~2 minutes max. Iceland it is then.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Egypt 2027 will be like 6 minutes of totality and clear skies, just gotta hope the political situation is stable then still

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

And that you can survive August in Egypt

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Typically highs in the 90s. Unpleasant, but not unbearable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Interestingly, we're near the tail end of the golden age of eclipses on Earth. On a timescale of hundreds of millions of years, but still, it's drawing to a close.

The moon is slowly moving further away and decreasing it's angular size so eventually (like, hundreds of millions of years) there will be no more total eclipses. As we get to that point annulars will be an ever increasing percentage of eclipses. This also means (I think, my science details may be fuzzy) the total eclipses we do get will be shorter and shorter.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So did anyone else see shadow bands at their location? We did very faintly in Mazatlán, about 4 to 5 minutes before totality. It helped that we were on a terrace with white tile.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Quebec rocked, no clouds anywhere near the eclipse.

I found myself involuntarily breathing hard and my heart pounding during totality, it was a completely unconscious thing I didn’t even realize I was doing. Some lizard brain reaction type stuff.

E: I turned around briefly and saw shadow bands a few minutes beforehand but was a bit distracted by what was going on in the sky

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

So did anyone else see shadow bands at their location? We did very faintly in Mazatlán, about 4 to 5 minutes before totality. It helped that we were on a terrace with white tile.

We saw them in Miramichi, New Brunswick, about 2-5 minutes after. We were at an airfield and saw them on a road.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Glad everyone got to experience it! Such an unreal thing to be apart of :)

Next one that's close for me will be in in 2028! :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today's eclipse was much darker than it was in 2017. I concede the clouds factored into it, but in Wyoming in 2017 it was brighter on the ground at totality. The level of light on the ground was comparable to what it was today like about ten minutes before totality.

We suspect because of higher solar activity, the corona was not as expansive as it was in 2017. The 2017 corona was visually four big spikes, but this one was smaller and more rays all around, plus the prominence.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pic my son took with his fancy canon, no post processing

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Great shot

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BBC bravely implying Texas isn't part of the US. Also Canada and Mexico do not exist.

:v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Don't throw away your eclipse glasses, you can donate them!

https://eclipse23.com/pages/donate-eclipse-glasses

Edit:
https://twitter.com/konstructivizm/status/1777292507472163245

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2024

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We are somehow back at home in Chicago. Were able to take 57n without many issues at all.

HOLY FUCKIN poo poo THOUGH WOAAAH

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Hands down the the most beautiful awe inspiring thing I've ever seen. I got a weird anxiety as the lighting changed and things got desaturated. The final moments until totality when you could start to see planets was moving and strange and wonderful.

Then when totality hit and I took off the glasses I instantly flushed with emotion and laughed and cried a bit. Having the center of the sun be the darkest thing in the sky is just not something your brain can process. Amazing

I feel so lucky to have shared that with my wife and good friends. And y'all tbh, it's been a fun thread too participate in. Looking forward to more pics and trip reports!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m so happy to read how many goons were able to see this and share the moment with friends and family. As a friend said today, this is something to be shared. Considering what the forecasts were saying the past week it feels miraculous that so much of the continent ended up with clear skies at the critical moment! I had friends in TX, IL, and OH and I think they all somehow got clearer skies than I did here in Mazatlan.

This was my fourth time seeing totality and although the high clouds diminished the outer corona a bit for us here, it was special because I was able to share it with my wife for the first time. I had raved about eclipses to her on our first date which was less than a year after the 2017 eclipse. She put up with it then, and again periodically over the 6 years since, before finally getting to see what all the hype was about today.

2045 is too long for me to wait, I’m going to have to make one of those in the interim happen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My husband and I actually enjoyed what the clouds did in Mazatlán, they had a strange texture and watching them develop as the temperature dropped then dissipate as it warmed up again was fascinating. We weren't even mad about it. It was just so neat to see what effect the moon's shadow has on everything. The eerie loss of light and colour too. We had about 80% coverage in 2017 and even then we noticed it and thought it was a neat experience.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I drove about 2 hours to the park I Internet-scouted just east of Cornwall, ON (taking Hwy 417 to Hwy 138). The conditions were good, there were a lot of light clouds, but they weren't thick enough to block the sun. I was surprised how few people were at the park, just a handful of cars. I didn't have any glasses, but I borrowed a welding mask and face shield, which did the job.

Just before totality, it was strange to see the light just getting weaker. The quality is very different from sunset. I got about two minutes of totality. A very strange feeling seeing it dark, yet the horizon brightly lit. My phone's camera was too much rear end to capture the event, but I did capture the dimming light and the darkness of the world (as well as two planets which became visible).

I had the idea to take Hwy 401 to Hwy 416 back north. Unfortunately, everyone else had the exact same idea; the offramp was completely stopped, so it ended up taking me 4 hours to get back home, weaving my way through back roads. Still, definitely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Time to plan for 2026, I guess. Gonna try for the dead center of totality in Spain this time.