Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Petey posted:

it's sort of wild how hard it was to convince my dad, a lifelong space and tech lover, to drive 1-2 hrs north for it. now he's persuaded. but it really is hard to explain.

At least in my case, I had seen "an eclipse" before. There was one in grade school, hit maybe 50% in my area, that we all went out to look at. And I think another one or two as an adult but both were clouded over. Something that's neat, and sure I'll stick my head out and take a look - maybe the light gets a little weird. But not something I'd plan a vacation around, or specially make time and travel for.

I now think of "a totality" as an entirely separate event from "an eclipse". It's so different that I find myself mentally severing the association and placing them in their own bucket of things. As you said, really hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen it. Something that photo and video "really does't capture" is a hard sell, maybe even moreso now than in the past?

That said,

Holy crap dude, I very seriously want a print of that.

edit - well that'll learn me not to refresh before posting. Yeah, this.

bawfuls posted:

I wonder if the digital age and prolific access to video and still images plays a part in the difficulty now. It’s hard for people to believe that something exists which is beautiful beyond description AND there are no images or videos of it which accurately reproduce the effect. You can say “oh you just have to see it for yourself!” and people will think that’s the same as a beautiful sunset or the Grand Canyon or Yosemite etc. Sure, better in person but a great photograph is still pretty good.But it’s not, there’s definitely something more to an eclipse and the sight of the sun’s corona glowing brilliantly in a darkened sky.

In an earlier age where you couldn’t simply pull up a spectacular image of anything and everything instantly on a device in your pocket, I wonder if people would take more seriously the words of friends who testified to the unique majesty of an eclipse.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I feel a bit broken because while the eclipse was great to watch, I’m missing the awe of others in this thread.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I now think of "a totality" as an entirely separate event from "an eclipse". It's so different that I find myself mentally severing the association and placing them in their own bucket of things. As you said, really hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen it. Something that photo and video "really does't capture" is a hard sell, maybe even moreso now than in the past?

This piece puts it pretty well:

quote:

I had seen a partial eclipse in 1970. A partial eclipse is very interesting. It bears almost no relation to a total eclipse. Seeing a partial eclipse bears the same relation to seeing a total eclipse as kissing a man does to marrying him, or as flying in an airplane does to falling out of an airplane. Although the one experience precedes the other, it in no way prepares you for it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I haven't seen a picture yet that captures what I saw with my naked eye, either the sky is too light and you don't get the "the sun has been eaten" effect or the sky is too much like night.

Here's mine, on the too light side :v:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

ymgve posted:

I feel a bit broken because while the eclipse was great to watch, I’m missing the awe of others in this thread.

My brother saw totality for about 30 seconds in 2017. He said he'd been warned that the experience would be "highly emotional," maybe even to a psychologically destabilizing degree, but then when he actually saw it he was just like "Oh. Well, neat."

Yesterday I got so emotional it was a little destabilizing :shrug:

Things hit people differently. It may be that it really did touch you in a deep way and your brain is still in the process of digesting and absorbing it. It may be that you've spent a long time suppressing strong feelings and now it's hard for you to access them even when you'd like to. It may be that it didn't light up the right wires in you that day for some circumstance-related reason. It may be that an eclipse just isn't the best mechanism for you to experience the sublime.

FWIW I don't think it means you're broken— but I do understand feeling let down or left out.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ended up in Allegheny National Forest,
found a decent little backcountry campsite within the path of totality about a half mile south of the PA/NY border along a deserted part of the North Country Scenic Trail. Judging by the fire pit we were the first guests of the season. Even when all the hotels are booked, National forest campers stay winning. THEY CAN’T STOP YOU FROM USING THIS ONE FREE TRICK.

Got overcast overnight and started raining as we were packing out. Hopped over to Willow Bay boat ramp and napped under the clouds expecting the whole event to be a snooze fest. Woke up half an hour before totality to dozens of tailgaters cheering because the sun peeked out for a second. The clouds parted at pretty much the exact moment for totality, it couldn’t have been timed better. Everyone went nuts. I peeked at the corona for a second and honestly I was not prepared for how that poo poo looked in person. Sort of terrifying in a way.

As such the gods have signaled that America can stop her blood sacrifices. Sure, the guys who catch the severed heads at the base of the pyramid will be out of work. But you know, you have to break a few eggs, etc.

The backcountry camping thing was the absolute perfect way to lead up to something like this. Really made it seem like and adventure.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 11, 2024

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Holy crap dude, I very seriously want a print of that.

Thanks. Yeah it's on the list to get printed. If toure seriously serious shoot me a PM and we'll work something out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There was the tiniest sliver of a waxing crescent moon this evening at sunset, and I'm not going to lie, I feel different about the moon now. I can't describe it. I just felt a new feeling.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 10, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ymgve posted:

this is the 2nd one I've seen and while it was less awe inspiring than the first one, i was a lot more aware of the physics of the event and saw shadow bands, crescent shaped shadows, and was conscious and observant of pretty all of the ancillary stuff. a kid with us even found a nightcrawler that popped up during the darkness. it was fun

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also consider getting into lunar eclipses. They aren't anywhere near as spectacular as solar ones but they happen much more often and are easier to photograph.

2024 doesn't have any notable ones but 2025 has two, one covering the western hemisphere in March and one for the eastern in September. 2026 has two as well but one is over the pacific.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ymgve posted:

Dunno if it helps but I think part of the impact for me is that, due to clouds rolling in, I really thought I was going to see nothing cool. I'd resigned myself to not seeing a corona, just like maybe it'll be neat when the light goes out. So it became like a surprise gift to see what I did. Without that maybe I'd have just thought it was kinda neat?

There's also the social aspect of being around like hundreds of people all seeing and experiencing the same thing amplifying the emotion. Could be lots of things besides being "broken!"

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

GunnerJ posted:

Dunno if it helps but I think part of the impact for me is that, due to clouds rolling in, I really thought I was going to see nothing cool. I'd resigned myself to not seeing a corona, just like maybe it'll be neat when the light goes out. So it became like a surprise gift to see what I did. Without that maybe I'd have just thought it was kinda neat?

There's also the social aspect of being around like hundreds of people all seeing and experiencing the same thing amplifying the emotion. Could be lots of things besides being "broken!"

Same experience in Austin TX. Saw it at a public park next to a middle school and the clouds parting enough plus a bunch of kids shouting made it a very memorable experience.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ymgve posted:

It's just not a holy poo poo experience to everyone. People have different experiences.

It was unique and interesting to me, but even if we magically had a two hour totality (which is impossible) I wouldn't exactly care after a couple minutes.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Personally I thought it was metal when an unfailing fixture of the sky, singular giver of life and center of our celestial order suddenly became a impossibly deep black mass with a huge menacing corona

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's just not a holy poo poo experience to everyone. People have different experiences.

It was unique and interesting to me, but even if we magically had a two hour totality (which is impossible) I wouldn't exactly care after a couple minutes.

I had 4 minutes and didn't get bored. More time would allow you to actually explore the oddity of it. I was at a park with a disc golf course, would have loved to play in those conditions.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just experience life really intensely, it's not just the eclipse. I'm awestruck and dumbfounded by so many things in the natural world. I'm well known for freaking out over anything and everything. I've been made fun of and insulted for getting too excited over things. People have different levels of reaction, and that's fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't call myself a super emotional type, I'm raised in the bad old ways where you crush feelings into a compactor and bury it deep somewhere, but I do get a little bit of a swell during maximum eclipse. There's just something about all the randomness in the universe coordinating such a precise alignment that us dumb humans can predict it down to a fraction of a second. And then my dumb rear end takes that information and picks a spot to be to witness a visual that will never again.

Even if a total eclipse does pass over the same spot twice it won't be the same, duration is different, prominences are different, the beads are different and the corona is different. It's a thing that can only happen exactly once in all the history of the universe. Once per reality events like that technically happen all the time but a solar eclipse is more monumental than most.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

No, there's a correct way to experience the world. All wrong-experience-havers should expect re-education.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/burgwx/status/1778123500907368644

Surprised how far out the effect is measurable. Looks like it shows up as far away as Colorado and Florida.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Here's the picture I took in the middle of totality; I had to stop recording video to get it.

It's a crappy old point-and-click held in front of a telescope eyepiece with a weird contraption, so... yeah, this is it. You can see the solar prominence on the bottom of the disc, though, which is cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

There was the tiniest sliver of a waxing crescent moon this evening at sunset, and I'm not going to lie, I feel different about the moon now. I can't describe it. I just felt a new feeling.

It was neat watching the Moon all month and knowing that it was going to make a direct hit on its next pass.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

Surprised how far out the effect is measurable. Looks like it shows up as far away as Colorado and Florida.

The sun is powerful.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

No, there's a correct way to experience the world. All wrong-experience-havers should expect re-education.

The beatings shall continue until totality improves

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I had a brief moral debate about whether I could threaten to ban people who had the wrong experience, but not specify what that was and not ban anyone, but I worried some folks might get upset at the joke.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is there a good way to donate used eclipse glasses?

If I recall correctly, there are a couple of programs that accept donations and provide glasses to people in the path of upcoming eclipses. I bought a bunch this time around and really don't need to keep all of them.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Porfiriato posted:

I didn’t get a screenshot but my home weather station recorded a drop from 82 to 75 during the partial in South Carolina.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess the fix for global warming is a mr. burns sun shield that blocks 30% of sunlight. This will have no side effects at all.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I had a brief moral debate about whether I could threaten to ban people who had the wrong experience, but not specify what that was and not ban anyone, but I worried some folks might get upset at the joke.

could I get a scathing commemorative sixer for having the wrong eclipse experience, thanks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

your avatar is gonna be totally eclipsed by cat jail

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

could I get a scathing commemorative sixer for having the wrong eclipse experience, thanks

The pact is sealed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So like, between Spain and Iceland, which will have the longer totality in 2 years?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

So like, between Spain and Iceland, which will have the longer totality in 2 years?

Iceland as the Snaefellsnes peninsula and Westfjords will be the closet land to maximum eclipse. But we're only talking 10-20 seconds difference.

Maximum along the center line is like 2:20 and most places in Iceland are about 2:10 and Spain is about 1:45. And Iceland has a 60% chance of being overcast.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hmm okay. One year later, the one in Egypt goes over Luxor and someone said it was 6 minutes? This site has some wild totality values lol: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2027-august-2

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Iceland also has pretty bad weather odds

Egypt the following year is a better bet

Use this page for path/duration/etc info on future eclipses: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/SolarEclipsesGoogleMaps.html

Same one that's linked in the OP.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Maybe it's too late, but I finally put up a video I took of the eclipse. It got really badly compressed so if anyone has advice on how to upload to youtube I'd appreciate it. Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nISxZWOxZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

bawfuls posted:

I think the darkness is a function mostly of how far you are from the edge of the shadow, so basically the duration of totality

In my experience it hasn’t varied much from one eclipse to the next, it’s a subtle difference
To me it was the 'contrast' of light and dark ... the effect was different, at least in the approaching umbra. I want to say "muted" compared with my previous experience.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

So did anyone else see shadow bands at their location? We did very faintly in Mazatlán, about 4 to 5 minutes before totality. It helped that we were on a terrace with white tile.
Not that I could see, the definition on the rock ledge didn't afford the contrast necessary I think.
Need to bring a white posterboard next time. But I saw them in Baja—super cool.

Star Man posted:

Today's eclipse was much darker than it was in 2017. I concede the clouds factored into it, but in Wyoming in 2017 it was brighter on the ground at totality. The level of light on the ground was comparable to what it was today like about ten minutes before totality.

We suspect because of higher solar activity, the corona was not as expansive as it was in 2017. The 2017 corona was visually four big spikes, but this one was smaller and more rays all around, plus the prominence.
High solar activity means darker..?

tarlibone posted:

On this frame, I am quickly getting the filter over the objective lens, right as I'm about to melt my camera's sensor. Look at what I was able to capture!!!!!!!!
That's great shot. I only took photos for half of the time of totality once it started. That's my rule... I want to be present for the whole physical experience.

Star Man posted:

... One of our telescopes had a hydrogen-alpha eyepiece for looking at the surface of the sun.
Wow! More please :v:

charliebravo77 posted:

Drove a cumulative ~14 hours from Chicagoland to rural IL to stare at the sun. Would recommend. Got some wild shots - was not expecting to be able to see solar flares.
Amazing!

Porfiriato posted:

It dropped 13 degrees at the one in Baja. I don't know the temperature drop for this one, where I was at but I think 9 or 10 degrees. It was a welcome though for this west coast boy.

bawfuls posted:

In an earlier age where you couldn’t simply pull up a spectacular image of anything and everything instantly on a device in your pocket, I wonder if people would take more seriously the words of friends who testified to the unique majesty of an eclipse.
I'm from that earlier age... and I believe that's true, mostly.

Anyway I drove from Austin to Memphis two days before the eclipse, with just two stops, over 10 hours, over 700 miles. To a childhood friend that had seen 2017, but wasn't necessarily going to see this one.
One the day of, we woke at 4:45 a.m. — drove 155 miles to the Ozark mountain foothills. In his neighbors borrowed kayak, we made it to an island and saw it here:

4 minutes 11 seconds I believe. 5 miles from centerline.
It was worth the effort.
Need to start saving for overseas, promising myself #4 and more.

Here's the poem I wrote after my first eclipse at Bahía de Los Muertos. Share it with a non-believer, a naysayer, a "partiality is fine" friend or acquaintance, if you like.
Syzygy

Thanks for posting this thread Bawfuls.