Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
My kid got a pic with these three who are wandering around, making the vibe pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m making the dash for Lake Buchanan. Leander is right on the edge. My wife is holding an event at the parks so unfortunately she’s stuck there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looking good in Goldthwaite, TX

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I am giddy with anticipation for you all!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Findlay, OH not ideal, but should be fine.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Some wispy clouds in Conway, AR. Can already see a sliver missing from the sun.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

in a graveyard in Fairfield IL and the weather is perfect

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Clear in Indy, just a little high wispy stuff. Partial starting soon!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Clouds starting to break up on the train to Kingston, Ontario.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Partiality has begun! Terrible camera telescope thing is set up.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Obscuring started here in southern IL. Going to be perfectly clear.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looks cool already. Bite is getting taken out.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was in downtown Columbia this morning and remembered that when I worked at the local children’s museum, we ordered like 2,000 pairs of glasses for the 2017 eclipse. So I swung by on a whim to see if they still had any, and I was able to score a couple pairs :toot:

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
This is looking great in southern IL, one hour to go.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I'm one of the only ones here with a telescope, just like in 2017.

It looks great through my scope.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Clouds rolled in literally 20 minutes before the start time, haven't left. Can't even see the sun through the eclipse glasses. I'm really upset!!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Reporting from Mazatlán: The cirrus clouds got thicker as the temperature dropped but that was still loving AWESOME!!!!!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Clouds rolled in literally 20 minutes before the start time, haven't left. Can't even see the sun through the eclipse glasses. I'm really upset!!

no!!! I’m so sorry :(

Some wispy stripy guys moved in where I am, along with general high altitude fuzz, but it’s not bad. Chunk bitten out of the sun still clean & crisp. It’s already getting dimmer and cooler too.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Watching in progress, in Illinois

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The daylight is starting to look trippy in southern IL. If day we were somewhere around 1/3rd to 1/2 obscured.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

:same:

With how the clouds are moving its gonna be totally thickly overcast at the best times. Admittedly I knew the risk since, y'know, upstate NY and I knew there was like a 10% at best chance. Still a bit sad though!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I’d be just fine if sunlight levels got capped here forever. So nice not to have to squint or sweat. Like a full moon times twenty

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m sitting in my backyard in the path of totality under an almost perfectly clear sky, and this is much more interesting than I expected. It already feels noticeably cooler, but that could just be my brain convincing me as a prank. Looks maybe 1/2-2/3 obscured?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Photos didn't do super well but we got 4:23 of totality, with clearly visible diamond rings on both ends. I'm loving sobbing.

We did miss a good amount of mid-totality to clouds, but it was still pretty spectacular.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's pure cope to be impressed by at this point, but it is kind of interesting that between the clouds and the moon, I can't locate the sun in the sky anymore

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That was really loving amazing and gave me that physical sense of awe. Just feeling so small and insignificant. I’d sure as hell freak out as one of our ancestors

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

woo good stuff

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The high clouds made totality look ghostly, but we had clear diamond rings and just a beautiful show. My camera battery went critical right before totality, so I had to swap it for my last charged one in seconds, but I got it done! Lots of terrible totality video, and one good still. Lots of shots of partial.

There was a cool little red dot on the bottom. Anyone else see it?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Here's hoping this dead gay forum is still around in 2045

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
well I’m crying. god that was cool. absolutely worth every bit of effort

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Reporting from Mazatlán: The cirrus clouds got thicker as the temperature dropped but that was still loving AWESOME!!!!!
yeah in the end I think we got about the worst case scenario of what was possible for today in Mazatlan but it was still great! I’ve never seen solar prominences so bright that they’re visible with the naked eye like that

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

That ruled

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tarlibone posted:

There was a cool little red dot on the bottom. Anyone else see it?
that was a solar prominence, or flare (not a flare, Wikipedia explains the distinction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_prominence?wprov=sfti1 )

This was my fourth time in totality and I’ve only ever seen them before in magnified high quality images, never so bright and large as to be visible with the naked eye. Probably a result of the current solar maximum, definitely special!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 9, 2024

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
There was huge clouds on Lake Cypress Springs in TX, but they perfectly opened up for the totality. Stunning. See y'all in Iceland.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
After an hour of stressing with each passing cloud, everything cleared right as totality hit in Dallas. loving cool.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Definitely too cloudy in Buffalo. Guess I'll have to try for the next one in 20 years. The amount of disappointment in my body is immeasurable.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I got the total in 2017 so not bummed at all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
WE GOT A PROMINENCE

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The eclipse effect parting the clouds pulled through! We even saw the corona and some solar flares. Walking around in twilight was amazing, the false sunset in the distance... So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Report from Rochester, NY - glad I didn't pay money for glasses lol. Still neat seeing the world go dark for 5 minutes.