Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Beer Gay So What posted:

Can't believe I am going to willingly travel to Ohio for this.

:same:

I am a 90min drive from 3.5 minutes of totality and am trying to figure out just how early I should show up at this nature area I've picked out that has the essentials:

-parking
-bathrooms

Like, dawn?? Or can I get away with 2-3 hours before the start?

Might all the moot, current forecast says 60-80% cloud cover. :smithcloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Based on current forecasts, I may head closer to Indianapolis than Ohio as the % cover forecast is half. Game day decisions for sure.

I am in a similar boat and am mad that my "just drive to Toledo" plan will probably have to be scuttled. Don't really want to spend a bunch of time stuck in my car but that is looking more and more likely. Gonna just wait until the weekend and see what forecasts are looking like, and make a decision then.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Also I'm asking my partner to marry me during the eclipse so that's fun too.

That rules, hope you have clear skies and they say yes!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Checking from Van Buren state park outside Findlay, OH. Perfect set up. Parked and wide open clearings with no clouds to the west. Even managed to get a picnic table!

Maybe another dozen or so spots left (at this first clearing, may be all) so won't be overcrowded. If clouds stay good this is the pro spot to be at.

Could have had a shorter drive and gone to Magee Marsh! Parking lot isn't even half full yet. I am sitting on the shore of Lake Erie and there's maybe 5% cloud cover.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

How much totality you getting there? I wanted at least three minutes. Currently zero cloud cover here and looking good.

Only took 90 minutes from Ann Arbor. Expecting 3-4 hours back though lol

I cannot find any kind of map that tells me that so I got no clue. Not invested enough for a multi-hour return trip so I'm happy with whatever I can get here.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Use this: https://eclipse-explorer.smce.nasa.gov/

If it's close to Toledo, looks like a little more than 90 seconds of totality. I wanted to get farther into the path so there's no risk of the horizon to the north having sunlight. Gimme that pitch black baby!

2min 58.9 seconds allegedly :science:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Don't throw away your eclipse glasses, you can donate them!

https://eclipse23.com/pages/donate-eclipse-glasses

Edit:
https://twitter.com/konstructivizm/status/1777292507472163245

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody know of any photographers that might have some photos of the eclipse for sale? All my photos were rear end (I only brought my cell phone so I didn't expect to get anything good), but I think I'd be interested in buying a print to frame if I could find something I liked.