Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I’m posted up at a public park in McLeansboro IL. The sky is clear (for now??) and the sun is shining and there’s a well-equipped bathroom and a grand total of four other eclipse tourists here.

Sent my brain into optimization overdrive consulting maps and spreadsheets and cloud forecasts and town population counts and traffic patterns up until the last possible second before leaving and also re-checking everything while actively on the road and now I’m here and have no idea what I’m supposed to do with all this leftover energy until 2pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Clouds rolled in literally 20 minutes before the start time, haven't left. Can't even see the sun through the eclipse glasses. I'm really upset!!

no!!! I’m so sorry :(

Some wispy stripy guys moved in where I am, along with general high altitude fuzz, but it’s not bad. Chunk bitten out of the sun still clean & crisp. It’s already getting dimmer and cooler too.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I’d be just fine if sunlight levels got capped here forever. So nice not to have to squint or sweat. Like a full moon times twenty

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
well I’m crying. god that was cool. absolutely worth every bit of effort

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
when’s the next one. 4 minutes wasn’t enough

edit: greenland gets almost half an hour in 2026?? :eyepop:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 8, 2024

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

uhhh no Greenland gets a little over 2 minutes in 2026

The maximum duration that’s theoretically possible right now with the moon’s distance from the earth is something around 7 minutes. But the longest in our lifetimes was 6:45ish in China and the Pacific back in 2009. I don’t believe there are any longer than that this century.

August 12th 2045, which is the next one to cross the continental US, will peak at just over 6 minutes.

ah whoops, thank you for correcting. Time & Date’s formatting confused me— I guess what they meant is that Greenland gets 27 minutes across the entire band of shadow that spans the country, but then each specific location in that band only gets ~2 minutes max. Iceland it is then.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
2 hours to get there, 5 hours on site, an hour and a halfish to get a leisurely post-totality lunch and take in the town (which was charming), then about 4 hours to get home through rush hour + eclipse traffic. I’m so tired it’s physically aggravating my allergies but it was all unquestionably, completely, a million percent worth it.

I went with my mom, who turned 80 last year, and an even older honorary aunt. It was the first time either of them seen the totality in their entire lives. If I can persuade them to come with me to Iceland or wherever, maybe it won’t have to be the last time.

I just want to experience it all over again. My memories are already going fuzzy because it was so shocking and weird it was unprocessable.

if my plane disintegrates on the way back home, i’m still going to haunt everyone at Boeing, but at least I got to see this first.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

ymgve posted:

I feel a bit broken because while the eclipse was great to watch, I’m missing the awe of others in this thread.

My brother saw totality for about 30 seconds in 2017. He said he'd been warned that the experience would be "highly emotional," maybe even to a psychologically destabilizing degree, but then when he actually saw it he was just like "Oh. Well, neat."

Yesterday I got so emotional it was a little destabilizing :shrug:

Things hit people differently. It may be that it really did touch you in a deep way and your brain is still in the process of digesting and absorbing it. It may be that you've spent a long time suppressing strong feelings and now it's hard for you to access them even when you'd like to. It may be that it didn't light up the right wires in you that day for some circumstance-related reason. It may be that an eclipse just isn't the best mechanism for you to experience the sublime.

FWIW I don't think it means you're broken— but I do understand feeling let down or left out.